Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Reccomendations: headset for 737

Boogerface
02-22-2018, 10:39 AM
I don't really want to drop over a grand for a headset like Bose, so I'm looking at DC or Telex. The question is, is it worth it to pay almost twice as much for noise cancelling? I know that the 73 can be a bit noisy, and of course crew outfitters is trying to sell me a more expensive headset. Just looking for some reccomendations. Thanks.

Name User
02-22-2018, 11:07 AM
Howard Leight rubber ear plugs (available in most crew rooms or online for cheap) and a used Telex 750 off eBay for $60-$75.

Or you could spend a grand and get less noise attenuation.

nimslow
02-22-2018, 11:09 AM
I use the David Clark PRO-X, very happy with it. I may look into a clarity aloft at some point.

David Clark gives us a pretty good deal, itís on the Jetnet deals page.

Boogerface
02-22-2018, 11:16 AM
I use the David Clark PRO-X, very happy with it. I may look into a clarity aloft at some point.

David Clark gives us a pretty good deal, itís on the Jetnet deals page.

Forgot about the deals page. Will check that out. Thanks

EMBFlyer
02-22-2018, 11:23 AM
I just finished 737 training. I was going to use my trusty earpiece, but the vibe I got from the folks over in the Flight Academy is that not too many others use those anymore. They've fitted nearly all of the 737s with a latching I/C switch, so you have a hot mike anytime the switch is in I/C. I ended up going with the DC Pro-X. Great price with our deal from David Clark. They just arrived yesterday and I'll get to try them tomorrow for the first time.

First impressions, though, they're pretty compact. They fit into my flight bag (Contrails FL390) nicely. They seem really comfortable and don't seem to put a lot of pressure on my head or ears. I have a fairly long day tomorrow, so I'll report back with my findings.

The Bose just seem a little too bulky. The case is huge and wouldn't fit in my flight bag when the QRH is in there. Plus, with the 737 cockpit being less than spacious, the more compact the headset is, the better your life will be. Another thing to consider is if you have one of the few airplanes without the latching I/C switch or are flying with a guy that doesn't have an noise cancelling headset, you'll have to pull one cup off your ear. That doesn't seem very comfortable with the Bose. The DCs work great, if you have to do that.

I tried the Clarity Aloft years ago when I was in the RJ. I wasn't a huge fan.

Surprise
02-22-2018, 01:12 PM
If you can find a Sennheiser HMEC-26 with a dual plug and battery pack cable on eBay, thatís the hot setup. Too bad they donít make them anymore.

Surprise
02-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Another thing to consider is if you have one of the few airplanes without the latching I/C switch or are flying with a guy that doesn't have an noise cancelling headset, you'll have to pull one cup off your ear.

Rubber bands or stir sticks. Iím a stick man, myself. :D

EMBFlyer
02-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Rubber bands or stir sticks. Iím a stick man, myself. :D

Oh, I know what you're talking about, but when you're going out with a check airman, that's frowned upon.

EMBFlyer
02-22-2018, 01:51 PM
If you can find a Sennheiser HMEC-26 with a dual plug and battery pack cable on eBay, thatís the hot setup. Too bad they donít make them anymore.

When they were still making them, I tried those out a few years ago. Did PHL-SFO in the Airbus and they started to give me a headache before Pittsburgh. They're not made for all head sizes!

Boogerface
02-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Ok, found the deal for David Clark. I'd still like an answer to this question: is it worth the extra $300 for noise cancelling? The 737 isn't going to be as loud as my previous equipment (145), but the feedback I'm getting is that it's still louder than other types at AA. Basically at this point I'm trying to decide between the DC-Pro or the DC-Pro-X.

MCOpilot
02-22-2018, 04:44 PM
I bought the non-ANR DCís and love them. I actually didnít like the noise cancelling headsets because they blocked too much ambient noise. I donít know why, but it made me unconfortable that it was too quiet. I think the non-ANRís are adequate or Iím just already deaf.

Ar Pilot
02-22-2018, 05:28 PM
Ok, found the deal for David Clark. I'd still like an answer to this question: is it worth the extra $300 for noise cancelling? The 737 isn't going to be as loud as my previous equipment (145), but the feedback I'm getting is that it's still louder than other types at AA. Basically at this point I'm trying to decide between the DC-Pro or the DC-Pro-X.

As a person who's flown both, get the noise cancelling. 737 isn't much quieter than the 145.

Mover
02-22-2018, 05:39 PM
Another thing to consider is if you have one of the few airplanes without the latching I/C switch or are flying with a guy that doesn't have an noise cancelling headset, you'll have to pull one cup off your ear. That doesn't seem very comfortable with the Bose. The DCs work great, if you have to do that.

With the DC's on and noise cancelling, I can usually leave both on and still hear the other guy.

meyers9163
02-22-2018, 05:40 PM

I use the Clarity aloft and actually have been surprised. Very happy. Flown with many DC guys and everyone said ďspend the extra and get those bose.Ē They claim itís lighter and worth it for that reason alone.

Al Czervik
02-22-2018, 05:55 PM
I bought the non-ANR DCís and love them. I actually didnít like the noise cancelling headsets because they blocked too much ambient noise. I donít know why, but it made me unconfortable that it was too quiet. I think the non-ANRís are adequate or Iím just already deaf.

I use ANR and canít hear anything. I forget the engines are running until we start moving.

Saabs
02-22-2018, 07:14 PM
Can someone please explain the rubber band paper clip thing? Iíve heard about it a ton. No hot mike on a 73?

Dolphinflyer
02-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Can someone please explain the rubber band paper clip thing? Iíve heard about it a ton. No hot mike on a 73?

1/3 of the 737's I fly don't have the audio selector for continuous hot-mike intercom. The rubber band/Starbucks stir stick forces the older jet spring loaded switch into a continuous hot-mike position. It's either transmit forward, off, or hot mike to rear position.

Check Airman don't approve of trick-f%^k stuff. Entertain them until they leave. Newer retrofit and new AC have switch that selects IC hot-mike continuously.

As for headsets. I had a Ebay Telex 750 for awhile. Much improved over company issue, but pretty weak noise cancelling. I broke mine several times, JB Weld worked for a long time but upgraded.

Options are, Bose over the ear, seems to be best soundproofing and quietest rig, but personally from my previous 1980's DC headset, there is only so much I can take with over the ear.

Clarity Aloft. Never tried, in the ear bud type. Ear buds personally irritate me after 1/2 hour so I never tried them. Check if they are TSO'd also. Not sure they are.

I settled on the DC Pro for the 737. Still not perfect. I end up pulling them off at times during a 12+ hour duty day. Still, very happy with them. I think there is a 30 day return gig, but not sure. Big plus is Bluetooth to sync with tunes while deadheading. For some reason the noise cancelling is much better in pax cabin. They do definitely help with those 310+kt below FL300 descents or climbs (which match the DB's of driving down I95 at 80 mph with the windows open blasting AC/DC's Highway to Hell as registered on my Bose Decibel Meter App)

mainlineAF
02-22-2018, 08:28 PM
Clarity aloft is what the cool guys on the rj wear.

aa73
02-23-2018, 04:06 AM
I use a Telex 850 ANR. Works great and relatively cheap compared to the other brands. Not the absolute best noise canceling compared to the others but for the price it does just fine in the 737.

The reason CKA are against the rubber bands/stir sticks is because, in those aircraft that canít be modified, if you try and make a PA with the switch hot wired to intercom, the PA wonít go through. Or so Iím told.

Battlinbear21
02-23-2018, 04:34 AM
Not sure about the ability of Aloft or DC to switch the boom around. But sure was easy w the two screws when I went Right seat to left and now back to the right. Bluetooth was great for calling Dx w write ups on the Dash. I was lucky to have been the only person to pick Kemba Waker and UConn to win the chipper many years ago and paid cash for them at the Philly airport. But, sad to admit it was the last time Iíve ever won those pools so the headset probably has cost me a lot more 😂. Do you use headset in the sims for training? Have a real cheap halo ( 2008) that works great in the box if Iím told to mic up.

flydc
02-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Bose qc25 + ufm

CaptYoda
02-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Flew the Boeing B737NG and a few other types. I like the Clarity Aloft Pro Plus, especially for longer legs. I always hated the "headset head." and that clamping feeling.

LuckyNow
02-25-2018, 02:03 AM
Iíd say that about 80% of the 737 pilots use the DC Pro X. That number should tell you all you need to know. A few guys use the Bose. When guys were still coming over from the 80 in Chicago theyíd have their earpiece for a trip or two and then get the DC.

Maybe three years ago they were discussing giving us a stipend to buy the DC Pro X, which would have been nice, but it never happened.

EMBFlyer
02-25-2018, 04:12 AM
To add to my earlier post. I loved the DC Pro-X...for the one leg I got to use it. Unfortunately, it fell apart after that first leg. The hinge on the earcup without the microphone completely came apart on me and I was unable to put the pieces back together. I will be calling DC first thing in the morning to work out a plan with them. This is not the first case I've heard about, unfortunately. Overall, though, prior to breaking, my impression was that it's a very good headset for the 737. I badly missed it on the subsequent legs when I was forced to use the airplanes Telex 750s.

Al Czervik
02-25-2018, 04:25 AM
Iíd say that about 80% of the 737 pilots use the DC Pro X. That number should tell you all you need to know.

Not sure Iíd trust the decisions of someone who electively flew the 737 when other options are available.

flythemuppets
02-25-2018, 04:38 AM
Very happy with the clarity aloft bluetooth especially on longer legs. If you have a crashpad and are accustomed to ear plugs, you'll be fine :)
Very quiet and it's nice to be able to not have to slide your headset to the side before push etc.

mainlineAF
02-25-2018, 04:46 AM
Very happy with the clarity aloft bluetooth especially on longer legs. If you have a crashpad and are accustomed to ear plugs, you'll be fine :)

Very quiet and it's nice to be able to not have to slide your headset to the side before push etc.

Oh ya. Clamping headsets are lame. Never again. Plus my hair is too pretty to be disturbed by some big dumb headset.

EMBFlyer
02-25-2018, 06:27 AM
Not sure Iíd trust the decisions of someone who electively flew the 737 when other options are available.

Yeah, because liking great trips and at least a 10% improvement in seniority over other narrow bodies is moronic.

Adanac
02-25-2018, 07:49 AM
Clarity Aloft user here. I'm not sure why this isn't the headset of choice honestly. I forget it's on, no headset hair, it's quiet and the best part is you can just hang one ear plug while the other stays in if your flying buddy likes to yell over the sound of the aircraft

I see a lot of people do the same thing (one ear on one off) with their Bose or DCs and it seems like a huge pain.

Much easier to do with the clarity aloft and everybody I fly with operates the communication differently on that airplane.

Clarity will allow you to adapt the easiest

Al Czervik
02-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Yeah, because liking great trips and at least a 10% improvement in seniority over other narrow bodies is moronic.

I dump that 10% in DFW and fly the bus in an instant.

Cheddar
02-25-2018, 11:15 AM

I donít know why but Iím still laughing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuckyNow
02-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Yeah, letís have another Boeing vs. Airbus debate, Iím sure weíll come to a consensus one of these thousands of times.

For what itís worth, the 80 was leaving Chicago so you could either continue to hemorrhage seniority on a plane that was going to fewer (and decidedly less glamorous) destinations, or go to the 737.

I have my complaints about it, sure... but none as great as those Iíd have about commuting so I can eat off of a tray at FL300.

EMBFlyer
02-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Yeah, letís have another Boeing vs. Airbus debate, Iím sure weíll come to a consensus one of these thousands of times.

For what itís worth, the 80 was leaving Chicago so you could either continue to hemorrhage seniority on a plane that was going to fewer (and decidedly less glamorous) destinations, or go to the 737.

I have my complaints about it, sure... but none as great as those Iíd have about commuting so I can eat off of a tray at FL300.

It's this generations "My dad can beat up your dad" argument. Who the f cares? I'm on the 737 because my quality of life is much better than on any other piece of equipment in my base. I don't care about the lack of a table.

Cheddar
02-26-2018, 04:32 PM
No, itís not the Airbus v. Boeing debate that got me laughing - from a long time Boeing guy that went into the 320 sight unseen and went ďWTF have I been doing to myself...Ē and Al Czervikís post reminds me of that.

The Airbus is - quirky to put it mildly. It may do horrible things, but at least Iím comfortable when I feel like the dog in the old RCA commercials. I wish Boeing would design an airplane that put crew members ergonomics in mind, then weíd have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mainlineAF
02-26-2018, 04:47 PM
It's this generations "My dad can beat up your dad" argument. Who the f cares? I'm on the 737 because my quality of life is much better than on any other piece of equipment in my base. I don't care about the lack of a table.

I hear ya on that. Iíll be on the 73 next more than likely bc Iíll take the first g2 captain bid. Iíll probably stay on it a while too bc Iím not sacrificing seniority for a bigger cockpit.

Only way Iíd give up seniority to take the bus is if i lived in a base that only had the bus.

EMBFlyer
02-26-2018, 05:55 PM
To get this thread back on track...

Even though the quality of the DC Pro-X headset I received was questionable, I can't speak highly enough of DC's customer service. I e-mailed them when I got to the hotel late Friday night about my issue. When I returned home Sunday morning, I had an e-mail from the Manager of Customer Service saying my issue was unacceptable. He sent me his FedEx account number and told me to overnight the headset to him. He said he'd have a replacement out to me within 24 hours of his receipt of it. It went out this morning. Hopefully, I'll have a new headset by the end of the week.

I also learned to keep my earpiece in bag as a backup.

PRS Guitars
02-26-2018, 07:32 PM
To get this thread back on track...

Even though the quality of the DC Pro-X headset I received was questionable, I can't speak highly enough of DC's customer service. I e-mailed them when I got to the hotel late Friday night about my issue. When I returned home Sunday morning, I had an e-mail from the Manager of Customer Service saying my issue was unacceptable. He sent me his FedEx account number and told me to overnight the headset to him. He said he'd have a replacement out to me within 24 hours of his receipt of it. It went out this morning. Hopefully, I'll have a new headset by the end of the week.

I also learned to keep my earpiece in bag as a backup.

Glad to hear it, because I plan to buy these next month. I’m tired of saying “what did he say?” constantly.

The captains that have ANR headsets have their radio panel volume turned almost all the way down and can hear fine.

zoomie91
03-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Speaking of headsets, I purchased a brand new BoseA20 in October, and in November the airline I joined gave me a brand new A20. So now I have 2.

Iím trying to get rid of one. Never even opened the box. $1000 all in. No tax. Iíll pay shipping. PM me if interested.

EMBFlyer
03-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Speaking of headsets, I purchased a brand new BoseA20 in October, and in November the airline I joined gave me a brand new A20. So now I have 2.

Iím trying to get rid of one. Never even opened the box. $1000 all in. No tax. Iíll pay shipping. PM me if interested.

What airline gives out brand new A20s?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1