Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Accommodations during training

Flightsoffusion
02-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Where are you all staying these days? Candlewood seems to ring a bell. Thanks

nopantsILS
02-22-2018, 04:05 PM
I think that's still the spot in SLC. DEN (175) is a different suite type hotel near the TC.

hawk21
02-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Candlewood in SLC for initial.

Holiday Inn in Denver for CQ.

Check Complete
02-22-2018, 05:09 PM
SLC CRJ training you stay at the Candlewood, a few fast food places within a few blocks, the grocery store you have get on the train. Rooms are double occupancy unless you personally pay for your own room, if itís available. Hope youíre bunking with someone compatible. SkyWest doesnít give you your own room until after your check ride, at that point they deem you a professional and treat you like one. No food provisions at the hangar you need to pack in what you want for lunch, about 3-4 days they will bring something in for you. Tons of CBTís, you learn most of the aircraft systems on your own. The final systems test has been massively dumbed down, almost every one passes.

Endeavor, Republic, why here?

Flightsoffusion
02-22-2018, 05:35 PM
SLC CRJ training you stay at the Candlewood, a few fast food places within a few blocks, the grocery store you have get on the train. Rooms are double occupancy unless you personally pay for your own room, if itís available. Hope youíre bunking with someone compatible. SkyWest doesnít give you your own room until after your check ride, at that point they deem you a professional and treat you like one. No food provisions at the hangar you need to pack in what you want for lunch, about 3-4 days they will bring something in for you. Tons of CBTís, you learn most of the aircraft systems on your own. The final systems test has been massively dumbed down, almost every one passes.

Thanks much for the info. Much appreciated.

Why here? Hopes on holding SAN. About the only reason, honestly..

Check Complete
02-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Ok, SAN, that makes perfect sense.

If this was to be a stepping stone, then it would make no sense at all.

And while I have zero insight of the longevity of SAN, bear in mind I've seen it close and open 3 times in my career here.

Nothing's for sure and nothing's forever in the regional world.

JBirdE175
02-23-2018, 07:43 AM
Where are you all staying these days? Candlewood seems to ring a bell. Thanks

Staybridge Suites for the ERJ in DEN

Flightsoffusion
02-23-2018, 07:57 AM

And while I have zero insight of the longevity of SAN, bear in mind I've seen it close and open 3 times in my career here.

At my age, there's not a lot of stepping stones left anyway.
Appreciate your insight...

word302
02-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Staybridge Suites for the ERJ in DEN

Doesn't seem like a great idea to name our training hotels on a public forum.

word302
02-23-2018, 01:26 PM
At my age, there's not a lot of stepping stones left anyway.
Appreciate your insight...

The upgrade in SAN is actually not bad either. Right around 4 years and dropping. Much more junior than I ever imagined it would go. It will likely stagnate some once the growth stops.

MolineCFI
02-23-2018, 01:47 PM

I must agree. Once they find out where you are staying the groupies will never leave you alone.

Just last night I was awoken at 2 am by 2 drunk, teenage girls, banging on my door and screaming like crazy. They wouldn't stop, so eventually I had to get up and let them out of the room.

MidnightHauler
02-23-2018, 01:50 PM
I must agree. Once they find out where you are staying the groupies will never leave you alone.

Just last night I was awoken at 2 am by 2 drunk, teenage girls, banging on my door and screaming like crazy. They wouldn't stop, so eventually I had to get up and let them out of the room.
Lol! Awesome!

Flightsoffusion
02-23-2018, 02:02 PM

Now that right there is pretty funny..

Flightsoffusion
02-23-2018, 02:03 PM
The upgrade in SAN is actually not bad either. Right around 4 years and dropping. Much more junior than I ever imagined it would go. It will likely stagnate some once the growth stops.

Encouraging to know. Thank you.

JBirdE175
02-23-2018, 03:24 PM

And yet 3 posts above mine they mention the CRJ initial hotel and CQ.....

It's public knowledge to anyone who asks about training when recruiters go out and talk to potential applicants. I'd like to hear your thoughts on why this is any different. At no point does SkyWest shield this info from the public.

word302
02-23-2018, 05:12 PM
And yet 3 posts above mine they mention the CRJ initial hotel and CQ.....

It's public knowledge to anyone who asks about training when recruiters go out and talk to potential applicants. I'd like to hear your thoughts on why this is any different. At no point does SkyWest shield this info from the public.

They're not exactly giving it out to the public either. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

MidnightHauler
02-23-2018, 05:34 PM
They're not exactly giving it out to the public either. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
These hotels have been mentioned 9,000 times in about 20 different threads in the last several years. This isn't Area 51.

Bravix
02-23-2018, 07:37 PM
These hotels have been mentioned 9,000 times in about 20 different threads in the last several years. This isn't Area 51.

The trick is to conceal its name with oh-so-clever names like Scandlewood. Nobody could ever possibly discover its real name that way!

MidnightHauler
02-23-2018, 08:22 PM
The trick is to conceal its name with oh-so-clever names like Scandlewood. Nobody could ever possibly discover its real name that way!
True....heads would burst trying to figure that one out.

Air Stang 7
02-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Plus SkyWest has the added benefit of security by doubling up folks two to a room! I don't think other regionals are as invested in the safety and security of their new hires.

CooperJ
02-24-2018, 11:40 AM

I'm too old to deal with the roommate situation...are there usually others with the same mindset that split the cost between them for 2 separate rooms?

Paid2fly
02-24-2018, 12:24 PM

It has not "closed and opened 3 times". It closed one time, even though it should never have closed(should have transitioned from EMB base to RJ base). Now, reopened as 175 base, so closed once and reopened a few years later.

WesternSkies
02-24-2018, 12:25 PM
I'm too old to deal with the roommate situation...are there usually others with the same mindset that split the cost between them for 2 separate rooms?

If I follow,
The short answer is that you split the cost with Skywest. So you are not dependent on others wanting a single room.
If you getting your own room causes an odd number of people then someone else will get a single room at company expense

gojo
02-24-2018, 01:11 PM
If I follow,
The short answer is that you split the cost with Skywest. So you are not dependent on others wanting a single room.
If you getting your own room causes an odd number of people then someone else will get a single room at company expense

Good God, why do people put up with this? The only other regional I know of that makes you bunk with a roommate is Lakes? Question mark because Iím unsure. There may be others. But even 13 years ago it was single occupancy at the regional I was at.

popNfresh
02-24-2018, 01:25 PM
Good God, why do people put up with this? The only other regional I know of that makes you bunk with a roommate is Lakes? Question mark because Iím unsure. There may be others. But even 13 years ago it was single occupancy at the regional I was at.

I donít know. Why are people still flocking to Skywest? I agree at one point it was the best west coast regional. Now Horizon and Compass have better pay scales, signing bonuses, and faster upgrades. I would say Skywest is no longer the best west coast regional, or best Midwest regional, or best east coast regional!

bonanza
02-24-2018, 02:13 PM

It is not bad at all. I have been here for a week and was worried about it. You can pay the difference if you want your own room. We are in class all day long. Having a roommate has it benefits as well. Mine has a car and we have been studying together all day.

gojo
02-24-2018, 03:50 PM
It is not bad at all. I have been here for a week and was worried about it. You can pay the difference if you want your own room. We are in class all day long. Having a roommate has it benefits as well. Mine has a car and we have been studying together all day.

Thatís no different than if he or she was in the room next door. Pathetic excuses for letting them get by on the cheap. Youíre a professional, why not be treated like one!!! Tell me again why you all are opposed to a real union?

Check Complete
02-24-2018, 04:52 PM
It has not "closed and opened 3 times". It closed one time, even though it should never have closed(should have transitioned from EMB base to RJ base). Now, reopened as 175 base, so closed once and reopened a few years later.

Closed as Metro base late 80ís and reopened, closed after the bro left and reopened for the 175, closed once as a Sunair base too Iíve been told. Point is itís a base I would put a lot of faith in if economy tanks, McRichard.....

moflyer
02-24-2018, 06:43 PM

It shocks me that they still do it from a liability standpoint. I could not imagine sharing a room in training anymore.

flysooner9
02-24-2018, 07:43 PM
I donít know. Why are people still flocking to Skywest? I agree at one point it was the best west coast regional. Now Horizon and Compass have better pay scales, signing bonuses, and faster upgrades. I would say Skywest is no longer the best west coast regional, or best Midwest regional, or best east coast regional!

Not sure about upgrade time. Skywest has instant upgrades for those who qualify.

Flightsoffusion
02-24-2018, 08:46 PM

But no base in SAN, Which is why I'm looking at SKW. Just sayin'

popNfresh
02-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Not sure about upgrade time. Skywest has instant upgrades for those who qualify.

Yes new hire upgrades to DTW and ATL. But I believe you would wait less than 6 months to upgrade with Endeavor. The pilots at Skymidwest are burnt out.

But yes I would choose Skywest to live in base such as SAN, SFO, BOI. I definitely get that.

CooperJ
02-25-2018, 09:40 AM

What is the total cost to do it?

Paid2fly
02-25-2018, 11:04 PM
Closed as Metro base late 80’s and reopened, closed after the bro left and reopened for the 175, closed once as a Sunair base too I’ve been told. Point is it’s a base I would put a lot of faith in if economy tanks, McRichard.....

You were "told" wrong Mr. Richard Cranium. The economy tanking had nothing to do with the 1 and only SAN base closure. Went from being a Metro base to an EMB base with no closure. The single and only closure that occurred was after it had been a base for decades and they phased out the last of the EMB-120's.

moflyer
02-26-2018, 05:16 AM
You were "told" wrong Mr. Richard Cranium. The economy tanking had nothing to do with the 1 and only SAN base closure. Went from being a Metro base to an EMB base with no closure. The single and only closure that occurred was after it had been a base for decades and they phased out the last of the EMB-120's.

The base closed long before the phase out if the EMB-120. I belive San Diego closed in 2008, the same time that Monterey closed. SkyWest flew the Brasilia untill May of 2015.

gojo
02-26-2018, 06:35 AM
The base closed long before the phase out if the EMB-120. I belive San Diego closed in 2008, the same time that Monterey closed. SkyWest flew the Brasilia untill May of 2015.

Donít get him mad again, or you might get called ďMr Richard CraniumĒ too.

Paid2fly
02-26-2018, 08:51 PM

They didn't just stop flying the Brasilia overnight, it was gradually phased out and SAN wasn't the last base for the Brasilia to close.

Paid2fly
02-26-2018, 08:52 PM
Don’t get him mad again, or you might get called “Mr Richard Cranium” too.

That was only in response to "Check Complete" and his McRichard comment.
I was just trying to set the record straight that SAN hadn't closed and opened 3 times already, as he stated.

Check Complete
02-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Tears of pity......

WesternSkies
02-27-2018, 03:55 PM
Did clickclickboom return?

Mooneyguy
03-10-2018, 05:55 AM
So is it double occupancy even during sims?
Assuming they run sims around the clock, it would not workout real well if you had a guy doing sims at night and a roomie doing sims during the day.

Does anyone know what they charge to pay then difference for single?

MidnightHauler
03-10-2018, 06:19 AM
Assuming they run sims around the clock, it would not workout real well if you had a guy doing sims at night and a roomie doing sims during the day.

I did sims in CVG and we had two bedrooms per suite with a full kitchen in the middle. Basically, a small two bedroom, two bath apartment. No issues whatsoever.
Don't know how much the cost would be for your own room.

Mooneyguy
03-10-2018, 06:26 AM
I did sims in CVG and we had two bedrooms per suite with a full kitchen in the middle. Basically, a small two bedroom, two bath apartment. No issues whatsoever.
Don't know how much the cost would be for your own room.

That's not bad, as long as you have your own privacy and a quiet place to sleep.

Back in the day Eagle would put two in a standard hotel room with two beds.
Luckily we only did that for the week of indoc.

rnfnr
03-10-2018, 02:13 PM

I did sims in ATL. My sim partner was also my roommate, in a standard hotel room w/ 2 queen beds.

Check Complete
03-10-2018, 06:32 PM
I did sims in ATL. My sim partner was also my roommate, in a standard hotel room w/ 2 queen beds.

That's pathetic. Just a primer for how you will be treated as a line pilot.

Squallrider
03-11-2018, 04:16 PM
That's pathetic. Just a primer for how you will be treated as a line pilot.

Delta makes their new hires pay for their own accommodation....are they treated badly? Lol

I agree itís stupid to share, I never had issues with it tho as I was always on different schedule to roommate but not in a way that disturbed anyone

amcnd
03-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Delta makes their new hires pay for their own accommodation....are they treated badly? Lol

I agree itís stupid to share, I never had issues with it tho as I was always on different schedule to roommate but not in a way that disturbed anyone

So true and funny.. if half the people were around 15-20 years ago to see DL paying 24k first year. They would be shocked. But thats ok because its DL. I agree things have changed and all airlines should offer single occupancy rooms..

speedbird618
03-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Compass Airlines you share in initial training. If you do sims anywhere but Minneapolis you get your own room, if Minneapolis sims, you share. Personally I would not go to an airline that does not provide single rooms, it is too important to get a good rest during all aspects of training.

flydiamond
03-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Compass Airlines you share in initial training. If you do sims anywhere but Minneapolis you get your own room, if Minneapolis sims, you share. Personally I would not go to an airline that does not provide single rooms, it is too important to get a good rest during all aspects of training.

There is no doubt one can get a good night sleep sharing a room. Iím objected to it since it is humiliating to us as professionals.

word302
03-11-2018, 06:55 PM

While double occupancy is silly, it would definitely not be a deciding factor for choosing and airline for me. So many other more pressing reasons when deciding where to go. I had double-occupancy. My roommate sucked. I survived.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1