Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : IAH Officially Opens July 1, 2018

KCaviator
02-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Title says it all.

Base2Final
02-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Wonder how long ual committed. That was always the excuse I would hear-rah didn't want to open IAH because the commitment was too short.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ORD170
02-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Just UAL flying? How big is the base projected to be? Sounds like bad news for Mesa.

KCaviator
02-23-2018, 09:39 AM
In a previous company letter there was mention of 12-15 new aircraft for a codeshare CPA extension. I would have to think it’s for UA based in IAH.

KCaviator
02-23-2018, 09:45 AM
Just UAL flying? How big is the base projected to be? Sounds like bad news for Mesa.

UA and DL. 11-12 lines which would be our smallest base. This might just be the start though.

TurbineTime
02-23-2018, 10:05 AM
22 Captains and 22 FO vacancies for July. I’d imagine this base will grow significantly as new aircraft come online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCaviator
02-23-2018, 11:33 AM
54 CA vacancies system wide. Expect upgrade times to drop to 2.5 years and additional flying/aircraft to come online.

calmwinds
02-23-2018, 11:57 AM

I would expect this to also be bad news for ExpressJet as this base winds down for them. I keep expecting SkyWest to expand this base in order to retain the IAH flying for United.

sflpilot
02-23-2018, 12:09 PM
This isn't really a new base. It's a previously closed base (CRJ200) from years ago that is reopening. Republic has lots of experience opening and closing bases frequently. I remember back when IAH and CRP were open a lot of people bought houses there and ended up commuting later on. Whatever the time commitment from UA is it's not forever. The only absolutely safe RAH bases are IND, CMH and PIT. Plan accordingly.

Stuff11
02-23-2018, 12:19 PM
I would expect this to also be bad news for ExpressJet as this base winds down for them. I keep expecting SkyWest to expand this base in order to retain the IAH flying for United.

Quite the contrary, XJT just announced today that they're picking up MORE flying for UA that other regionals can't handle. March and April will be a significant uptick in flying.

Lostboys97
02-23-2018, 12:23 PM
This isn't really a new base. It's a previously closed base (CRJ200) from years ago that is reopening. Republic has lots of experience opening and closing bases frequently. I remember back when IAH and CRP were open a lot of people bought houses there and ended up commuting later on. Whatever the time commitment from UA is it's not forever. The only absolutely safe RAH bases are IND, CMH and PIT. Plan accordingly.

While this statement is accurate, the opening/closing of bases on a whim(or because it’s cheaper) was a major subject during the “culture change” initiative of 2013-14. I also remember hearing random talk during the bk process of the codeshares not supporting the opening of anymore outstation bases or bases without viability. It would seem like that’s why it’s taken so long to open an IAH, because they want to make sure it’s got a long term viability.
I don’t think IAH is far enough west to help Republic’s recruiting efforts, but it is still RAH, who’s afraid of the mountains. Or maybe they just want to poach Mesa employees.

PC12Junkie
02-23-2018, 12:36 PM
I’ve been considering coming over to the regionals for a while and I live in Houston. Now finally something that looks better than Mesa and Express Jet. I’m sure it may turn into a senior base quickly, but would love the opportunity to at least bid for it as a home base.

Stuff11
02-23-2018, 01:11 PM
I’ve been considering coming over to the regionals for a while and I live in Houston. Now finally something that looks better than Mesa and Express Jet. I’m sure it may turn into a senior base quickly, but would love the opportunity to at least bid for it as a home base.

A quick history lesson.... Back in December of 2013, a coo was on the rise. ExpressJet had become the first regional to slam down the gauntlet and declare a resounding NO to concessions. Shortly there after Envoy and Republic followed suit. Three of the big 4 of regionals, have now put their foot down and said they will take no less. As we all know, SkyWest is the 4th and they are non regional so they just stood there with poms poms.

In the 4 years since then, Envoy was strong armed by American and was forced into concessions or be shut down. RAH filed for bankruptcy and was also forced into concessions. They were then bailed out of bankruptcy by Delta. (see Pinnacle air circa 2012 for more fun facts on that). Since December 2013, the line flying pilots of ExpressJet have not taken a cent in concessions and a new contract should be out for a vote shortly. Skywest, being non union, have piggy backed off of ExpressJet's gains. Kind of like the naggy little sister that wants everything her big sister has.

Now I understand why Mesa is off the table, but why ExpressJet? And if you answer "Because they're closing down" I will know you have never taken a college business course before because nothing could be farther from the truth.

Tpinks
02-23-2018, 01:20 PM
A quick history lesson.... Back in December of 2013, a coo was on the rise. ExpressJet had become the first regional to slam down the gauntlet and declare a resounding NO to concessions. Shortly there after Envoy and Republic followed suit. Three of the big 4 of regionals, have now put their foot down and said they will take no less. As we all know, SkyWest is the 4th and they are non regional so they just stood there with poms poms.

In the 4 years since then, Envoy was strong armed by American and was forced into concessions or be shut down. RAH filed for bankruptcy and was also forced into concessions. They were then bailed out of bankruptcy by Delta. (see Pinnacle air circa 2012 for more fun facts on that). Since December 2013, the line flying pilots of ExpressJet have not taken a cent in concessions and a new contract should be out for a vote shortly. Skywest, being non union, have piggy backed off of ExpressJet's gains. Kind of like the naggy little sister that wants everything her big sister has.

Now I understand why Mesa is off the table, but why ExpressJet? And if you answer "Because they're closing down" I will know you have never taken a college business course before because nothing could be farther from the truth.

What are you smoking? Because your history on republic is off...

Our BK was a shame Bk to get rid of excess aircraft and to renegotiate our CPAs to pay higher rates. Delta did not save us. The 100 million DIP financing was only during the BK itself, upon exiting it was to be repaid. Secondly, Republic went into BK as a profitable airline with I believe over 200 million in liquid assets. We came out of BK as an even more profitable airline.

There were no concessions made during the BK, AT ALL.

PC12Junkie
02-23-2018, 01:20 PM
I guess the reason I wasn’t considering Express Jet is how long it takes to make Captain. I have to support a family of four so upgrade times are important as well as the health/benefit package rates as well. Mesa’s healthcare is just as expensive as the market exchange and my buddy at Republic is going to send his health benefits to me as soon as he gets off vacation so I can see their costs as well.

chrisreedrules
02-23-2018, 01:25 PM
I guess the reason I wasn’t considering Express Jet is how long it takes to make Captain. I have to support a family of four so upgrade times are important as well as the health/benefit package rates as well. Mesa’s healthcare is just as expensive as the market exchange and my buddy at Republic is going to send his health benefits to me as soon as he gets off vacation so I can see their costs as well.

I think if IAH is a must for you then Republic is the clear choice for many reasons.

PC12Junkie
02-23-2018, 01:31 PM
My curiosity is how much I could make on the new FO pay scale. I know the rates and 12 days off a month sounds nice, but I would need to pick up those “red flag” trips to make extra money. Do you think an FO realistically can get into the 70’s with picking up extra time? Am I just way out of league here on getting that high?
I’m currently making almost 80k flying a Pilatus(8 days off a month)but want to get back into jet flying.

Tpinks
02-23-2018, 01:36 PM
My curiosity is how much I could make on the new FO pay scale. I know the rates and 12 days off a month sounds nice, but I would need to pick up those “red flag” trips to make extra money. Do you think an FO realistically can get into the 70’s with picking up extra time? Am I just way out of league here on getting that high?
I’m currently making almost 80k flying a Pilatus(8 days off a month)but want to get back into jet flying.

Is 70k possible, yes if you know how to game the system. Will it be likely in IAH, doubt it. Realistically, take 1000 times your hourly rate and that is what you will make.

Don't count on red flag at republic, yes we have it, but there is nothing in our contract that requires the company to flag a trip. I myself have never seen a trip flagged. When they are extremely desperate, then they call and offer it over the phone.

chrisreedrules
02-23-2018, 01:38 PM

$70,000+ can be tough anywhere as a first year regional FO. Not impossible, but tough.

ORD170
02-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Don’t plan on red flag pay at Republic. I saw it twice after March 2016. I lived in base the last year I was at Republic, and never got called. Red flag is not all over time. The company can choose when and if they offer a premium. From my experience it’s pretty rare, because everyone picks up OT at straight pay. Good luck.

Swakid8
02-23-2018, 01:40 PM
So now you guys want to open Houston, I've wanting a Houston based for the longest, but I already went to PSA. Good for the Houston folks and should be able to snag some Mesa folks.

Stuff11
What are you smoking? Because your history on republic is off...

Our BK was a shame Bk to get rid of excess aircraft and to renegotiate our CPAs to pay higher rates. Delta did not save us. The 100 million DIP financing was only during the BK itself, upon exiting it was to be repaid. Secondly, Republic went into BK as a profitable airline with I believe over 200 million in liquid assets. We came out of BK as an even more profitable airline.

There were no concessions made during the BK, AT ALL.

If you're saying there were no concessions, they you obviously don't know what the word concessions means. Even a dollar taken out of uniform reimbursement or health insurance is a concessions.

also this...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/delta-air-lines-agreement-settle-lawsuit-against-republic-014240798--finance.html

Captain Slow
Our BK was a shame Bk to get rid of excess aircraft and to renegotiate our CPAs to pay higher rates.

Sham. You mean a sham. Though bankruptcy is always shameful.

PC12Junkie
02-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Would anyone care to give me information on your health benefit rates for an employee plus family?

You can PM me if needed. Thank you.

Stuff11
02-23-2018, 01:44 PM

So then my next question to you is, would you rather spend 3 years at a company and then upgrade and then get picked up by mainline around 4-5K hours, or would you rather spend 2 years as an FO and then fo to mainline because the most common mainline pick up from XJT is a 2 year FO. XJT sent over 250 FO's to the majors last year. Now some of that has to do with the seniority of the work group but its mostly because XJT's training is head and shoulders above other regionals.

if mainline and in IAH is your goal, then find the FASTEST way to get to UA, and that is not through republic. Sorry but its the truth.

PC12Junkie
02-23-2018, 01:48 PM
I currently have 5500+ total time, 4000+ turbine.

But my weakness is: multi, re: 365 hours split between Citation 500 series, King Air 200 and Falcon 20.

Trying to find the best route for residing in Houston, TX

chrisreedrules
So then my next question to you is, would you rather spend 3 years at a company and then upgrade and then get picked up by mainline around 4-5K hours, or would you rather spend 2 years as an FO and then fo to mainline because the most common mainline pick up from XJT is a 2 year FO. XJT sent over 250 FO's to the majors last year. Now some of that has to do with the seniority of the work group but its mostly because XJT's training is head and shoulders above other regionals.

if mainline and in IAH is your goal, then find the FASTEST way to get to UA, and that is not through republic. Sorry but its the truth.

This is disingenous at best...

ORD170
If you're saying there were no concessions, they you obviously don't know what the word concessions means. Even a dollar taken out of uniform reimbursement or health insurance is a concessions.

also this...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/delta-air-lines-agreement-settle-lawsuit-against-republic-014240798--finance.html

The bankruptcy worked out great for republic employees. Non of the CBAs were touched and they ditched the 50 seat obsolete aircraft. No idea what you mean by ‘uniform reimbursement or health insurance”. Those items are still per the 2015 CBA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

calmwinds
02-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Quite the contrary, XJT just announced today that they're picking up MORE flying for UA that other regionals can't handle. March and April will be a significant uptick in flying.

The Republic base doesn’t open till July and I wouldn’t expect it to have an immediate impact. But, ExpressJet’s IAH base will continue to shrink as more Ejets come online there.

PC12Junkie
02-23-2018, 01:57 PM
Any chance you guys can comment on my last two posts? Thanks!

☝🏻

calmwinds
02-23-2018, 02:02 PM

ExpressJet has been shrinking significantly under SkyWest’s ownership. Everything is right there in the SkyWest annual report. It is clear what SkyWest’s strategy is with ExpressJet if one looks at the annual report over the past 3 years. Close the ExpressJet operation down slowly through pilot and base attrition. DTW is gone. ATL is gone. DFW and IAH are next. I always asked myself why ExpressJet never started flying Ejets for United. I think the answer is clear.

Also, United is currently capped out with regional jets under the current contract. Yet, United has a strategy of replacing their regional flying with Ejets. If 12 to 15 more Ejets are coming online in IAH for United, there needs to be 12 to 15 jets retire in IAH.

It is possible that a Mesa CPA is expiring and United doesn’t plan to renew the CPA, and that is where the 12 to 15 jets will come from. But, my bet is E145 or CRJ flying is reduced.

As far as regionals, Republic will kick both ExpressJet’s and Mesa’s backside in IAH as far as recruiting.

ORD170
02-23-2018, 02:04 PM
Any chance you guys can comment on my last two posts? Thanks!

☝🏻

Check your pms

calmwinds
02-23-2018, 02:04 PM
I currently have 5500+ total time, 4000+ turbine.

But my weakness is: multi, re: 365 hours split between Citation 500 series, King Air 200 and Falcon 20.

Trying to find the best route for residing in Houston, TX

Apply at Republic. That is my answer.

Tpinks
02-23-2018, 02:29 PM

also this...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/delta-air-lines-agreement-settle-lawsuit-against-republic-014240798--finance.htmlshow me one instance of a republic pilot taking a concession during the BK. You won't because you can't. We did not take one concession going through BK. NOT ONE

Instead you are chest thumping about Expressjet and stating blatant lies about republic and our BK.

Btw, we don't have uniform reimbursement. We get our uniforms and luggage FOR FREE, every year.

Sham. You mean a sham. Though bankruptcy is always shameful.

Lol. gotta love autocorrect.

JG4245
02-23-2018, 04:06 PM

I came from a similar situation as you (PC-12 CA with only 8 guaranteed days off). I have been here a year and a half and it is light years better than my previous job. If you decide to make the jump you will not regret it!

brewpilot
02-23-2018, 04:21 PM

Oh how times have changed. Hoping to make 70K a year as a FO at a regional. This just shows how the industry has changed in the decade Ive been doing it. A side of me is like damn... I made less then 20K my first year and would of loved making 40K a year so quit you b****ing. But I am actually happy cause this is what we all deserved as new hires and some. No pun intended just crazy what Ive witnessed the last 10 years. Honestly I just hope mainline takes back all the regional flying and put us all on their seniority list. Good luck to you. RP is a good company. Night and day difference from my days of being a Colganite. Although I miss the guys from there and stories are told almost weekly. :-)

knewyork
02-23-2018, 04:52 PM

You are clueless. You’re telling people they’re better off going to a dying 50 seat regional whose upgrade is 8 years because they’ll get hired at mainline 2 years later? Are you serious? It’s not expressjet’s fault as we all know what skywest mainline is doing to them. But the writing is on the wall. I see a lot of those XRs in EWR that are operated commutair now. It sucks and if I were at xjet I’d hate to see it. But then again, if I were at xjet I would have left a year ago.

MGMTiswatchingU
02-23-2018, 05:58 PM
ExpressJet has been shrinking significantly under SkyWest’s ownership. Everything is right there in the SkyWest annual report. It is clear what SkyWest’s strategy is with ExpressJet if one looks at the annual report over the past 3 years. Close the ExpressJet operation down slowly through pilot and base attrition. DTW is gone. ATL is gone. DFW and IAH are next. I always asked myself why ExpressJet never started flying Ejets for United. I think the answer is clear.

Also, United is currently capped out with regional jets under the current contract. Yet, United has a strategy of replacing their regional flying with Ejets. If 12 to 15 more Ejets are coming online in IAH for United, there needs to be 12 to 15 jets retire in IAH.

It is possible that a Mesa CPA is expiring and United doesn’t plan to renew the CPA, and that is where the 12 to 15 jets will come from. But, my bet is E145 or CRJ flying is reduced.

As far as regionals, Republic will kick both ExpressJet’s and Mesa’s backside in IAH as far as recruiting.

If I'm not mistaking, I think UA is maxed out on 76 seaters per the scope, but has room for more 50 seaters. So you'd probably get flying and Ejets from Mesa.

TheWeatherman
02-23-2018, 06:00 PM
If I'm not mistaking, I think UA is maxed out on 76 seaters per the scope, but has room for more 50 seaters. So you'd probably get flying and Ejets from Mesa.
That's what I head today. There were some Ejets slated to go to Mesa that won't be going there any more due to their performance issues. They will be going to Republic.

KCaviator
02-23-2018, 06:34 PM
That's what I head today. There were some Ejets slated to go to Mesa that won't be going there any more due to their performance issues. They will be going to Republic.

And if you remember, Republic originally had an order for 24 additional 175s to be operated for United going into bankruptcy. While in bankruptcy, United assumed control of the order and subsequently split the order. We were to get 12 and Mesa was to get 12. We received ours, but I’m not sure how many Mesa ended up taking. Since United owns these birds, I can easily see the 12-15 aircraft mentioned in the company letter being these exact aircraft.

Bonanzer
02-23-2018, 07:59 PM

also this...

We all might be dumber after listening to you. Republic pilots took no concessions in bankruptcy. Not in pay, language, or qol. Everything was improved and kept in bankruptcy. That’s the facts. Now keep rambling incoherent nonsense.

calmwinds
02-24-2018, 07:37 AM
And if you remember, Republic originally had an order for 24 additional 175s to be operated for United going into bankruptcy. While in bankruptcy, United assumed control of the order and subsequently split the order. We were to get 12 and Mesa was to get 12. We received ours, but I’m not sure how many Mesa ended up taking. Since United owns these birds, I can easily see the 12-15 aircraft mentioned in the company letter being these exact aircraft.

United is maxed out on 76 seaters - in fact they own 1 more than the agreement allows. Mesa has 59 Ejets, owns only 18 of them, and has received all the Ejets they are contracted to receive. It is rumored the Mesa CPA expires the end of next year for the first 12 Ejets.

Santos Dumont
02-24-2018, 01:07 PM

I'm with you.

FlyingDawgg
02-24-2018, 06:52 PM
Bye bye Mesa!

calmwinds
02-25-2018, 04:43 AM
Bye bye Mesa!

It will get interesting when the CPA isn’t renewed with Mesa for their first Ejets. That is when panic will set in there. It took Mesa 4 years to get all their Ejets and it will probably take United 4 years to take them all away.

I also noticed that SkyWest’s Ejets have been coming to IAH more recently. It could be a double whammy soon.

stbloc
02-25-2018, 06:22 AM
How senior do you think IAH will be and how long after training to bid it.

jacburn
02-25-2018, 10:00 AM
A quick history lesson....

Since December 2013, the line flying pilots of ExpressJet have not taken a cent in concessions and a new contract should be out for a vote shortly. Skywest, being non union, have piggy backed off of ExpressJet's gains. Kind of like the naggy little sister that wants everything her big sister has.

And another recruiter for XJT has shown up spewing misleading facts.

XJT is still under a 2004 contract and that contract now includes concessions that were voted in 2008. The contract was extended a couple of year ago with a 1.50 raise that did not match the concessions and the inflation from 2004. That is still a concessionary contract.

XJT is operating under a 2004 contract to this day. Ouch.

The last set of negotiations after the merger took how many years before the $1.50 raise was approved?

At least you are not telling everyone that the upgrade time will drop to a year in the very near future like others were spewing a couple of years ago.

Captain Slow
02-25-2018, 11:03 AM
How senior do you think IAH will be and how long after training to bid it.

Typically when a base first opens it goes junior... that said we have a LOT of senior IAH and Texas commuters that will probably fill it up to start. So my answer is that it will be very senior... at least on the captain side.

To hold it? Who knows. Really just depends on how quickly they grow it.

Mustang62
02-28-2018, 07:19 AM
I guess they have enough candidates that they aren't responding to potential recruits these days. I and a couple others that I know submitted applications last week and none of us has even received an acknowledgement from the recruiting team. I know the other two guys have other offers and I have 3 as well, so I think we'd be competitive, if that's even a thing in the regional world these days.

knewyork
02-28-2018, 08:19 AM
I guess they have enough candidates that they aren't responding to potential recruits these days. I and a couple others that I know submitted applications last week and none of us has even received an acknowledgement from the recruiting team. I know the other two guys have other offers and I have 3 as well, so I think we'd be competitive, if that's even a thing in the regional world these days.

Our recruiting department is pretty bad honestly. I know they’re busy but they do a pretty poor job with... their actual job. They do a ton of college touring and whatever and for some reason, actual applicants seem to take a back burner. It’s sad and frustrating. Do not take it as they won’t hire you. If you PM me I can help you guys out.

calmwinds
02-28-2018, 08:26 AM

Offers don’t indicate competitiveness. Everyone who is under the age 65, has a 1st class medical, can speak English, can legally work in the US, and is eligible for a RATP has multiple offers.

There is a certain aspect of the profile that you submitted didn’t trip their further consideration. Although, my buddy there did say they were backed up about a week in recruiting. Maybe, a little more patience is needed.

My buddy also said to not take their interview for granted. A pilot need to brush up on knowledge beforehand.

Mustang62
02-28-2018, 10:21 AM
There is a certain aspect of the profile that you submitted didn’t trip their further consideration. Although, my buddy there did say they were backed up about a week in recruiting. Maybe, a little more patience is needed.

How do you know that? There wasn't even a "profile" on their application. It was just a name, previous employment history, and a summary of flight experience. Yeah, patience is probably in order, but all of the other apps I submitted were followed up with a receipt acknowledgement and shortly thereafter by with a phone call.

calmwinds
02-28-2018, 10:28 AM
How do you know that? There wasn't even a "profile" on their application. It was just a name, previous employment history, and a summary of flight experience. Yeah, patience is probably in order, but all of the other apps I submitted were followed up with a receipt acknowledgement and shortly thereafter by with a phone call.

All regionals have something they are looking for in the summary of flight experience, particularly picky regionals. I can give you a name and number to call if you are interested. PM me.

I know pilots that were skipped over by Republic for the interview and pilots that were not hired by Republic after the interview even though they fly Beechjets in a 135 operation.

Base2Final
02-28-2018, 10:38 AM
PM me and I'll do my best to get you hired here and give you all a cut of the referral bonus I'll get after you complete ioe
[emoji23]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kevair464
02-28-2018, 12:59 PM

I put in an application yesterday evening and got a call today, sadly i was flying and couldn't answer, but she left a message. So I'd say that is a pretty fast turn around on application to hearing back, less than 24 hours

flyingnerd
02-28-2018, 06:14 PM
I put in an application yesterday evening and got a call today, sadly i was flying and couldn't answer, but she left a message. So I'd say that is a pretty fast turn around on application to hearing back, less than 24 hours
Can confirm. Applied Friday. Was called Monday am

sflpilot
02-28-2018, 06:38 PM
Our recruiting department is pretty bad honestly. I know they’re busy but they do a pretty poor job with... their actual job. They do a ton of college touring and whatever and for some reason, actual applicants seem to take a back burner. It’s sad and frustrating. Do not take it as they won’t hire you. If you PM me I can help you guys out.

Yes Republic I guess you could say has a history of being run in kind of a backwards fashion. I left before the supposed “culture change” that BB initiated a while back and some are saying that at least a few things have changed. I would hope so because in my experience there it was more akin to your car breaking down on a regular basis.

Hou757
02-28-2018, 06:51 PM
And another recruiter for XJT has shown up spewing misleading facts.

XJT is still under a 2004 contract and that contract now includes concessions that were voted in 2008. The contract was extended a couple of year ago with a 1.50 raise that did not match the concessions and the inflation from 2004. That is still a concessionary contract.

XJT is operating under a 2004 contract to this day. Ouch.

The last set of negotiations after the merger took how many years before the $1.50 raise was approved?

At least you are not telling everyone that the upgrade time will drop to a year in the very near future like others were spewing a couple of years ago.

Nothing Stuff said is wrong. You are just spewing very old information!

piloto2
02-28-2018, 08:35 PM

If you haven't figured it out yet, that dude knows everything about everything. Take what he says with a grain of salt!

jacburn
03-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Nothing Stuff said is wrong. You are just spewing very old information!

He had been spewing crap all over this thread that has no fact to stand behind and the stuff that he could is only half truths. He brought up the history lesson and forgot the stuff right before his history lesson began.

He was trying to bash other airlines for taking pay cuts when XJT did the very same thing by a vote.

I understand that you want to protect your airline. I would too if I only had 4 years left before I was forced to retire.

SilentLurker
03-03-2018, 06:30 AM

I agree with this, my interview experience was the same. Envoy had called by then, and I did not want to pass up more class dates. Happy with my decision. Mesa was not an option for IAH.

Congrats on IAH guys.

Especially those who live in Houston, Texas, and West of the Mississippi.

What are the trips looking like?

knewyork
03-03-2018, 10:02 AM
I agree with this, my interview experience was the same. Envoy had called by then, and I did not want to pass up more class dates. Happy with my decision. Mesa was not an option for IAH.

Congrats on IAH guys.

Especially those who live in Houston, Texas, and West of the Mississippi.

What are the trips looking like?

Largely day trips for Delta and I think 2 days for UA. But to me it just seems like an easy way to open a base so I bet that’ll change as it gets worked into our system.

Longhornmaniac8
03-04-2018, 04:58 PM
As a CFII with around 800 hours living in Central Texas, this pretty much ticks off the last box to solidify Republic as my #1 option going forward. Even if it takes a little while to hold IAH, I'm pretty excited overall with the prospects of working for Republic. Not to mention they're the only airline that has proactively reached out to me.

Obviously, every airline has good and bad, but compared to others, Republic has a better ratio of good to bad going for it than most of its competitors. I wish the new contract had been voted down and y'all had held out for more, but it's not bad at all, just not industry-leading. In a sense, that is a disappointment because I feel in this day and age every new contract should be industry-leading, but Republic's is still in the top two or three.

Quality of life seems about as good as can be at a regional (for whatever little that may say), and people generally seem to think (based on reading here) that things are moving in the right direction. That contrasts starkly with reading through other boards for other airlines.

Congrats to those current employees who have been waiting like I have for a Texas base, and hopefully I'll be flying with y'all in about a year!

knewyork
03-04-2018, 05:28 PM
As a CFII with around 800 hours living in Central Texas, this pretty much ticks off the last box to solidify Republic as my #1 option going forward. Even if it takes a little while to hold IAH, I'm pretty excited overall with the prospects of working for Republic. Not to mention they're the only airline that has proactively reached out to me.

Obviously, every airline has good and bad, but compared to others, Republic has a better ratio of good to bad going for it than most of its competitors. I wish the new contract had been voted down and y'all had held out for more, but it's not bad at all, just not industry-leading. In a sense, that is a disappointment because I feel in this day and age every new contract should be industry-leading, but Republic's is still in the top two or three.

Quality of life seems about as good as can be at a regional (for whatever little that may say), and people generally seem to think (based on reading here) that things are moving in the right direction. That contrasts starkly with reading through other boards for other airlines.

Congrats to those current employees who have been waiting like I have for a Texas base, and hopefully I'll be flying with y'all in about a year!

Based on your post, we’d be happy to have you. Looks like you did some homework and you’re obviously well educated. You’re right. I wish we held out for more but overall things are ok here.

Flightcap
03-05-2018, 04:52 AM
Keep up the research and ask any question you can think of. Keep your options open till the last second but certainly having Republic in your shortlist is a good idea at this time IMO. PM me if you want to chat over the phone. I'll be happy to provide what info I can.

pilotguy7
03-05-2018, 05:41 AM
Based on your post, we’d be happy to have you. Looks like you did some homework and you’re obviously well educated. You’re right. I wish we held out for more but overall things are ok here.
I live in Central Texas as well . I'm prior 121, I have about 3200 TT, my current airline might be sinking into the pit of despair. I'd LOVE to be IAH based, and republic looks like a good company with pretty good QOL, good pay, and folks seem to be happy. I'd LOVE to chat with someone who is flying the line to as a few questions before chatting with a recruiter.

knewyork
03-05-2018, 05:42 AM
I live in Central Texas as well . I'm prior 121, I have about 3200 TT, my current airline might be sinking into the pit of despair. I'd LOVE to be IAH based, and republic looks like a good company with pretty good QOL, good pay, and folks seem to be happy. I'd LOVE to chat with someone who is flying the line to as a few questions before chatting with a recruiter.

PM me if you’d like.

TheWeatherman
03-05-2018, 08:47 AM

I was in your exact position a year ago (just a different location) and back then Skywest was my number 1 choice. Through research Skywest dropped down while Republic rose up. I went to Republic when the time came and so far have no regrets. I think QOL here is better then any other regional if you live in base. I dodged a bullet with Skywest. That place is a **** show now with a very unhappy pilot group and over worked pilots.

glassnpowder98
03-07-2018, 08:02 AM
For anyone interested- Junior CA for IAH was 06/12 and a new hire was awarded an FO spot there.

Mustang62
03-07-2018, 08:23 AM
For anyone interested- Junior CA for IAH was 06/12 and a new hire was awarded an FO spot there.

I wonder how long it will stay like that. Not a lot of lines there, at least initially.

TheWeatherman
03-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Wow, IAH drew more people out of ORD then I thought it would.

knewyork
03-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Wow, IAH drew more people out of ORD then I thought it would.

I haven’t looked but were they backfilled?

TheWeatherman
03-07-2018, 10:22 AM
I haven’t looked but were they backfilled?
Yes, every spot was back filled I believe. Mostly with people still in training on the FO side at least.

knewyork
03-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Yes, every spot was back filled I believe. Mostly with people still in training on the FO side at least.

Good to hear.

ORD170
03-07-2018, 11:02 AM

How many ORD CA back filled?

aperfcrcle
03-07-2018, 11:06 AM

zero

filler

brewpilot
03-07-2018, 11:45 AM

Only awarded FOs in ORD.

knewyork
03-07-2018, 02:26 PM
I never understand what that staffing outlook says. It says ORD CA should remain the same size.

VASBYT
03-07-2018, 04:39 PM
I am still in contract with my current employer until September. I see that RAH is opening IAH in July. I was considering Mesa, merely for IAH.

If I join Republic, how senior with IAH be? Should I even bother with applying with RAH?

knewyork
03-07-2018, 06:07 PM
I am still in contract with my current employer until September. I see that RAH is opening IAH in July. I was considering Mesa, merely for IAH.

If I join Republic, how senior with IAH be? Should I even bother with applying with RAH?

It went pretty junior on the FO side. In fact a new hire got it. I would expect some mesa FOs to come over to RAH as well and in that case it would be best to come over before they get here.

calmwinds
03-07-2018, 06:56 PM
It went pretty junior on the FO side. In fact a new hire got it. I would expect some mesa FOs to come over to RAH as well and in that case it would be best to come over before they get here.

Mesa FO’s would need to repay their signing bonus. From the ones I know, they will have spent it within 4 weeks of receiving it. I suspect the FO’s you will get from Mesa are 250 in the training pipeline that haven’t completed IOE yet.

I have thought about coming over for IAH too. However, with a 5+ year upgrade for IAH, it is probably better to stay put.

TransWorld
03-07-2018, 09:11 PM
I am seeing a lot of ads here for Republic’s new IAH base; come apply. What you and I would be expecting.

It should be a good battle to watch, without blood and gore.

I wish every pilot based in IAH well. You are in demand.

FlyBoy443
03-08-2018, 05:12 PM

Are you referring to Via? Didn’t you just start there? What makes you believe you’re headed for the pit of despair?

pilotguy7
03-12-2018, 06:39 AM
Are you referring to Via? Didn’t you just start there? What makes you believe you’re headed for the pit of despair?
I'm just keeping all options open at this time . . . you can go to the via thread to see some of the "challenges" currently facing via. Republic in IAH seems to be a good fit for me, but "never go to an airline for a base, equipment or upgrade promises" keep echoing in my mind!

Therealseal
08-25-2018, 02:37 PM
Largely day trips for Delta and I think 2 days for UA. But to me it just seems like an easy way to open a base so I bet that’ll change as it gets worked into our system.

Question about the DL flying at IAH? DL is planning on upguaging the LGA-IAH route with the A220, where is the DL flying going to shift to?

SoFloFlyer
08-25-2018, 02:40 PM
I'm just keeping all options open at this time . . . you can go to the via thread to see some of the "challenges" currently facing via. Republic in IAH seems to be a good fit for me, but "never go to an airline for a base, equipment or upgrade promises" keep echoing in my mind!

Then why else choose a regional for? I get why people say this, but realistically, I’m not going to Compass if I live in Florida lol

greendotplus10
08-26-2018, 07:41 AM
Question about the DL flying at IAH? DL is planning on upguaging the LGA-IAH route with the A220, where is the DL flying going to shift to?

It's anyone's guess. So far though, there hasn't even been any DL pairings in IAH. These past two months have been split between AA/UA, and next month is all UA. Republic's DL birds have still been coming and going in IAH, just operated by crews from other bases.

ShyGuy
08-26-2018, 07:51 AM

IND, CMH, PIT? There is no such thing as “absolute safe” bases when it comes to a regional airline.

Tpinks
08-26-2018, 07:26 PM
IND, CMH, PIT? There is no such thing as “absolute safe” bases when it comes to a regional airline.

While what you are saying is technically correct, All three bases are heavy maintenance bases which are not going anywhere. 1/4 of our entire fleet overnights in these three cities every night... These are not small bases by any means and the cost to close them would be exorbitant.

ShyGuy
08-31-2018, 09:38 PM
While what you are saying is technically correct, All three bases are heavy maintenance bases which are not going anywhere. 1/4 of our entire fleet overnights in these three cities every night... These are not small bases by any means and the cost to close them would be exorbitant.

I’ve seen entire regional airlines disappear. Also saw my regional’s MX bases and crew bases change at the whim of what mainline wanted. We also had one huge MX base that wasn’t a crew base. We just overnighted there a lot. The cost to close them isn’t exorbitant. The exorbitant cost is when mainline decides to stop paying a particular regional airline for their services. Or withholds payment for really no good reason other to bleed the airline dry and force them into BK. Sorry, I’ve just seen too much of this kinda stuff that when I see someone say a “safe base” exists at a regional...

Therealseal
09-01-2018, 07:39 AM
I’ve seen entire regional airlines disappear. Also saw my regional’s MX bases and crew bases change at the whim of what mainline wanted. We also had one huge MX base that wasn’t a crew base. We just overnighted there a lot. The cost to close them isn’t exorbitant. The exorbitant cost is when mainline decides to stop paying a particular regional airline for their services. Or withholds payment for really no good reason other to bleed the airline dry and force them into BK. Sorry, I’ve just seen too much of this kinda stuff that when I see someone say a “safe base” exists at a regional...

The day IND closes is the day YX goes out of business. It's about as safe as they come for regional bases, considering how much is invested there.

ShyGuy
09-01-2018, 10:10 AM
That’s your HQs right? Ours was in MEM for a certain red/grey colored airline. Delta merger and long story short, MEM went bye as a HQ, MX base, training, and crew base. But the airline still made it, albeit a smaller version of its former self even after merging with 2 other regional carriers. It was sad but especially for the super senior ones who didn’t try for Fedex because they were comfortable in MEM. It’s where the airline was “born” and was thought to be safe as any base.

Anyway, I don’t mean to berate Republic. I take you guys out of EWR and have always been treated great. Good crews who are fun to talk to/interact with. It’s great that IAH is opening as a base but just keep in mind any hiccup with the UAL feed contract and that could be in jeapordy.

Tpinks
09-02-2018, 09:17 AM

With our contract, it would cost the company a huge amount to close those three basis. Republic was known to open and close bases on a whim, yet they hadn't done that since the 2015 CBA which created significant costs to the company when they close a base. Even after MCI lost its MX base last year, they still have not closed the pilot base. That is also why they would not open IAH for the longest time. They wanted a contract with United that was for at least 3 years to guarantee the amount of flying there to support opening a base and not just continue to staff the flying completely by other bases. Even now, it's still our smallest base. Republic has agreements with the mainline to guarantee X amount of flights per day to allow them to get the planes into Mx. They are too cheap to pay to move everyone out and then just overnight everyone there.

IND, CMH and PIt each have 200-300 pilots in each base and overnight over 40 aircraft per night in those cities, plus the aircraft that rotate in for heavy maintenance cycles.

I'm not saying nothing is possible, but if we see any one of these bases close as a pilot base, this entire company will be under turmoil.

greendotplus10
09-02-2018, 10:19 AM
Exactly. I've heard it is a lot more expensive for YX to close bases than it used to be, and the company requires more commitment from mainline. I've heard stories of bases in odd outstations like CRP.