Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Hire to ATL

tankerklown
02-24-2018, 01:15 PM
I know it sounds blasphemous here that a guy would actually want ATL. How much open time could I reasonably expect as a new hire FO there? Enough to make up the pay differences from other airlines?

And before anyone screams Endeavor, they havenít called back this military staff guy.

flysooner9
02-24-2018, 02:54 PM
Sounds like you will fly your butt off In Atlanta so I bet thereís plenty of open time.

Out West
02-24-2018, 03:01 PM
No idea if the difference in pay can be made, but EDV nor majors are calling an active flying fighter guy, either.

I interview with PSA and SkyWest next month because of ATL and CLT.

Flymeaway
02-25-2018, 07:55 AM
How long have you guys had your apps in? The only reason I could imagine 9E wouldnít call a military aviator, even one out of currency is that they feel like youíd look so good to the majors that youíd get snatched up as soon as you hit 100 hours and were current.

No, you wonít be able to make as much at OO as you would at 9E. Probably not even close. It all depends on timing I guess. If you really are going to get picked up by a major right off of IOE, OO could probably get you into class next week, while 9E has a several month backlog.

flysooner9
02-25-2018, 12:38 PM
9E has a 4-8 week back up just to schedule an interview. Classes are full through June now. Skywest was 1 week from applying to interview. I think you could have a class a couple weeks after that if you wanted.

tankerklown
02-25-2018, 01:21 PM
Edv app in on 1/5 for me.

Out West
02-25-2018, 03:52 PM
If the question was for me (I think it was to the OP, but, it followed my post) my apps with legacies have been in since October; regionals only about 10 days.

OP - got your PM, happy to give you a shout this week.

tankerklown
02-28-2018, 04:41 PM
Reposting this in light of all the negativity (shocking for APC, I know) surrounding SKW. But seriously, for guys wanting to ďslug it out in ATLĒ and looking to fly as much as possible is SKW really that much worse than PSA/Republic or any of the others?

PeterE
02-28-2018, 04:48 PM
Our pay is near the bottom, reserve rules are poor.

ATL trips are high on the legs and low on the credit. This means you will work a very high amount of days in order to reach the very high minimum value our scheduling software assigned to you. Additionally, there was zero vacancies in both seats for ATL on the bid that closed a few days ago. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

CC150
02-28-2018, 05:15 PM
When you say no vacancies does that mean no opportunities to pick up additional trips? Or does it mean that there are barely enough pilots to cover every line?

If it is the first one, would that mean that even though the legs are shorter and not convenient regardless of credit earned could you get 1000 hours a year flying out of ATL?

Thank you

hawk21
02-28-2018, 05:23 PM
Our pay is near the bottom, reserve rules are poor.

ATL trips are high on the legs and low on the credit. This means you will work a very high amount of days in order to reach the very high minimum value our scheduling software assigned to you. Additionally, there was zero vacancies in both seats for ATL on the bid that closed a few days ago. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

No vacancies for now. ATL still has room to grow in the next few months as 200s get swapped around.

PeterE
02-28-2018, 05:24 PM
When you say no vacancies does that mean no opportunities to pick up additional trips? Or does it mean that there are barely enough pilots to cover every line?

If it is the first one, would that mean that even though the legs are shorter and not convenient regardless of credit earned could you get 1000 hours a year flying out of ATL?

Thank you

It means no more pilots getting sent to ATL for March.

PeterE
02-28-2018, 05:26 PM
No vacancies for now. ATL still has room to grow in the next few months as 200s get swapped around.

Well, that and attrition. My point is that SKW has a ton of moving parts right now, even if you want a junior domicile it may take a bit to get in there. But yes, ATL should remain attainable.

Out West
02-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Well, that and attrition. My point is that SKW has a ton of moving parts right now, even if you want a junior domicile it may take a bit to get in there. But yes, ATL should remain attainable.

Sorry - donít understand this one.

It may take a while to get to a junior domicile? Where else does a new hire go?

word302
02-28-2018, 06:59 PM
Sorry - donít understand this one.

It may take a while to get to a junior domicile? Where else does a new hire go?

Heís a little over-dramatic.

Squallrider
03-01-2018, 07:21 AM
Atlanta like the other junior domiciles will continueisly have openings as people leave to hold a base they would prefer, thatís always been the case.

PeterE
03-01-2018, 08:18 AM
Where else does a new hire go?

To another junior domicile? DTW, ORD, exc. Obviously it wont be for some extended period of time but it is certainly possible to get sent somewhere else for a few months.

Out West
03-01-2018, 10:21 AM
To another junior domicile? DTW, ORD, exc. Obviously it wont be for some extended period of time but it is certainly possible to get sent somewhere else for a few months.

Sorry, the question was to the statement that junior domiciles might take time to get as a new hire.

Didnít make much sense...

PeterE
03-01-2018, 10:26 AM
Sorry, the question was to the statement that junior domiciles might take time to get as a new hire.

Didnít make much sense...

We have multiple junior domiciles. Getting a specific base may not happen instantly.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1