Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ATL Trips.....

DryClutch
02-25-2018, 08:14 AM
-Do you guys do 5-day trips on the -200 out of ATL?

-Reserve time on the -200 ATL/FO looking like 3-5 months for a new guy?

Just curious if my new life will be similar to my previous life at ASA/XJT...Thanks guys.....

flydiamond
02-25-2018, 08:28 AM
About 5 months company seniority (about 2 months post IOE) to hold a line in ATL on the 200, though this is a fast moving target and was shortened by all the guys bidding off the 200 onto the 900 last fall before the seat lock kicked in. Expect 11 days off with ~90-100 credit hours to begin as a junior lineholder (200 is short staffed and paying 200% for crediting over 85 hours in PBS for March).

And yes, we have 5 day trips on all bases / aircraft and they are required to credit at least 25 hours and be commutable on both ends. Takes about a year company seniority to get a line of 3 5 day trips with ~15 days off in ATL. Before that you can expect more 4 day trips which aren't quite as commuter friendly (eg start at 9 am finish at 8:30 pm versus start at 1 pm end at 1 pm).

HighFlight
02-25-2018, 09:12 AM
To add to that, the 5-day trips have not been commutable same day recently, at least in ATL. I think this is due to the company sampling Jepps. This SHOULD get better as the schedulers are able to get the software in their control. Hopefully.

flydiamond
02-25-2018, 09:22 AM
To add to that, the 5-day trips have not been commutable same day recently, at least in ATL. I think this is due to the company sampling Jepps. This SHOULD get better as the schedulers are able to get the software in their control. Hopefully.

Personally more concerned with all the 3 + hours sits as of late.

Casualinterest
02-25-2018, 09:56 AM
Personally more concerned with all the 3 + hours sits as of late.Those have been around for a while..... For my money though, I'll take three hour sits over a non commuteable trip any day. If I'm at work I really don't care what happens, just consider it part of the job. And I use those 3 hour sits effectively. Bills, side work, return calls, catch up with family, Netflix, etc etc etc.

But having to burn an extra day because of bad commutability???? Screw that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HighFlight
02-25-2018, 02:24 PM
I read this, and had to check the poster to make sure it wasn’t me.

Well said...

Those have been around for a while..... For my money though, I'll take three hour sits over a non commuteable trip any day. If I'm at work I really don't care what happens, just consider it part of the job. And I use those 3 hour sits effectively. Bills, side work, return calls, catch up with family, Netflix, etc etc etc.

flysooner9
02-25-2018, 02:27 PM
3 hour sit means a nice 2 hour nap

Casualinterest
02-25-2018, 05:47 PM
3 hour sit means a nice 2 hour napWow you must be a master napper. I'm lucky if I get 45 minutes in a three hour sit haha

9Etransplant
02-25-2018, 07:21 PM
Wow you must be a master napper. I'm lucky if I get 45 minutes in a three hour sit haha

Must be one of those rare ones without a swap

HighFlight
02-25-2018, 08:43 PM
I prefer to get my naps in flight, only waking up when the flaps go to 45. Unless the other guy is flying, then I prefer to wake up when we touch down. :eek:

Wow you must be a master napper. I'm lucky if I get 45 minutes in a three hour sit haha

Avroman
02-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Those have been around for a while..... For my money though, I'll take three hour sits over a non commuteable trip any day. If I'm at work I really don't care what happens, just consider it part of the job. And I use those 3 hour sits effectively. Bills, side work, return calls, catch up with family, Netflix, etc etc etc.

I'd rather be getting paid while I'm on duty. You can have your commutable trips with 3 hour sits and 10 hour overnights. I'll give up commutability for shorter duty days or better credit trips.

Blueskies21
02-27-2018, 05:01 PM
I'd rather be getting paid while I'm on duty. You can have your commutable trips with 3 hour sits and 10 hour overnights. I'll give up commutability for shorter duty days or better credit trips.

Are you commuting now? Finally went to a junior base to get a better schedule?

If you're not commuting saying you'll give up commutability is about like me saying I'll give up being the Pope....

That said, if you live in base and you want shorter duty days that start at 7am... I hope you get them, I'd prefer not to have to commute in the day before. That costs me a hotel and a night with my family. I'll take a three hour sit over losing a day commuting.

Here's hoping there's some alternative where we don't HAVE to have three hour sits to get commutability. Jepp Schedule Solver to the rescue??

KSCessnaDriver
02-27-2018, 05:50 PM

If you're not commuting saying you'll give up commutability is about like me saying I'll give up being the Pope....

That said, if you live in base and you want shorter duty days that start at 7am... I hope you get them, I'd prefer not to have to commute in the day before. That costs me a hotel and a night with my family. I'll take a three hour sit over losing a day commuting.

Here's hoping there's some alternative where we don't HAVE to have three hour sits to get commutability. Jepp Schedule Solver to the rescue??

Personally, I feel the 200 trips are suffering because of the Jepp solver, or at least they started sucking right when they went to using that.

But, then again, when I started here, it wasn't super common to find a 4 day trip on the 200 over more than 18 hours. Now, they're all over in ATL.

teddy3412
02-28-2018, 04:45 AM

The first month they tested the jepp solver in the fall it gave me three 3 hour sits in ROC. luckily I haven't had any of those since.

Fourpaw
03-01-2018, 07:56 PM
7 legs latest thing guys and gals in ATl.

Casualinterest
03-02-2018, 12:44 AM
7 legs latest thing guys and gals in ATl.Holy crap. I've got my first (3) 5 leg days this month. In the 900. Not looking forward to it

Flogger
03-02-2018, 03:32 AM
Holy crap. I've got my first (3) 5 leg days this month. In the 900. Not looking forward to it

I realize that high leg days can kill one's daily credit and possibly lead to 1 or 2 fewer days off. Both of those are huge negatives to me.

But each to his own otherwise. My pilot self would rather fly 5 to 7 short legs than 3 long legs. Time at cruise is outright boring. I'd rather have more takeoffs, approaches and landings from a job enjoyment perspective.

HarlsBarkley
03-02-2018, 04:39 AM
I realize that high leg days can kill one's daily credit and possibly lead to 1 or 2 fewer days off. Both of those are huge negatives to me.

But each to his own otherwise. My pilot self would rather fly 5 to 7 short legs than 3 long legs. Time at cruise is outright boring. I'd rather have more takeoffs, approaches and landings from a job enjoyment perspective.

Same. The day just goes by faster.

Casualinterest
03-02-2018, 11:19 AM

But each to his own otherwise. My pilot self would rather fly 5 to 7 short legs than 3 long legs. Time at cruise is outright boring. I'd rather have more takeoffs, approaches and landings from a job enjoyment perspective.All I heard was "more work, work, and work" haha

love my 3 hour flights

You bid the 88 or 717 when you get to main line, I'll take the wide body, everyone's happy haha

vessbot
03-02-2018, 01:19 PM
One man's trash is another one's treasure! :D

Avroman
03-02-2018, 03:42 PM
All I heard was "more work, work, and work" haha

love my 3 hour flights

You bid the 88 or 717 when you get to main line, I'll take the wide body, everyone's happy haha

Gotta actually get there first... good luck

Casualinterest
03-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Gotta actually get there first... good luckI have no illusions, but I'll do my best. And have a backup plan... And if that doesn't work, I'm quite the juggler....

Leroy Smith
03-05-2018, 06:49 AM
7 legs latest thing guys and gals in ATl.

7 leg days are tough with 117, even in the kinder, gentler, much smoother running ATL.

Post ATR retirement/pre-117, we had many 4-days with 24 legs and on occasion 26 (Yup - 7,6,6,7 ). Average credit per leg was about 50min.
Those are are some rough summer months in a clapped out 200 that is never off the ground long enough to dissipate some heat.

Welcome to America's Sweatiest Airline Redux. Stay hydrated!

teddy3412
03-05-2018, 07:58 AM
7 leg days are tough with 117, even in the kinder, gentler, much smoother running ATL.

Post ATR retirement/pre-117, we had many 4-days with 24 legs and on occasion 26 (Yup - 7,6,6,7 ). Average credit per leg was about 50min.
Those are are some rough summer months in a clapped out 200 that is never off the ground long enough to dissipate some heat.

Welcome to America's Sweatiest Airline Redux. Stay hydrated!

Do any of these high leg days have anything to do with asa's staffing? Or do you think it will become sop? I'm not based in Atlanta but have seen some those crazy leg days on open time.