Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 61.58 question

LNSflyer
02-27-2018, 02:01 PM
I'm trying to interpret 61.58, any help is appreciated.

If I was typed on an aircraft on 2/2017, to be PIC I would need to go to recurrent training by the end of this month, 2/2018, correct? Since the flying is part 91, there is no grace period correct? It's the only type rating I have.

Bucknut
02-27-2018, 02:23 PM
You are correct, no late or grace month.

champpilot59
02-27-2018, 05:57 PM
You are correct, no late or grace month.

14 CFR 61.58(i)

(i) If a pilot takes the pilot-in-command proficiency check required by this section in the calendar month before or the calendar month after the month in which it is due, the pilot is considered to have taken it in the month in which it was due for the purpose of computing when the next pilot-in-command proficiency check is due.

I think you can.

PerfInit
02-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Yes there is a grace month provision.

rickair7777
02-27-2018, 07:52 PM
14 CFR 61.58(i)

(i) If a pilot takes the pilot-in-command proficiency check required by this section in the calendar month before or the calendar month after the month in which it is due, the pilot is considered to have taken it in the month in which it was due for the purpose of computing when the next pilot-in-command proficiency check is due.

I think you can.

Yes there is a grace month provision.

Sort of, but I don't think it's like 121 grace...

You can keep your base month if you do the check +/- one month, but you cannot fly into the late grace month. You turn into a pumpkin at the end of the base month.

champpilot59
02-28-2018, 06:07 PM
Sort of, but I don't think it's like 121 grace...

You can keep your base month if you do the check +/- one month, but you cannot fly into the late grace month. You turn into a pumpkin at the end of the base month.

You have a source for this? I didnít see anything in 14 CFR or 8900.1.

rickair7777
03-01-2018, 08:00 AM
You have a source for this? I didnít see anything in 14 CFR or 8900.1.

I'm reading it verbatim.

It says you can keep your grace month if you do recurrent +/- one month.

It also says you cannot fly past the end of the base month, and can't find any allowance for flying into late grace.

You could wade through FAA legal interpretations, maybe there's something in there.

Xdashdriver
03-01-2018, 09:02 AM
I'm reading it verbatim.

It says you can keep your grace month if you do recurrent +/- one month.

It also says you cannot fly past the end of the base month, and can't find any allowance for flying into late grace.

You could wade through FAA legal interpretations, maybe there's something in there.

Yep....right here (https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/data/interps/2015/hoy%20-%20(2015)%20legal%20interpretation.pdf).

Grace month acts just like 121 and 135 even though wording is slightly different.

champpilot59
03-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Yep....right here (https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/data/interps/2015/hoy%20-%20(2015)%20legal%20interpretation.pdf).

Grace month acts just like 121 and 135 even though wording is slightly different.

So you can fly into the grace month according to the legal interp. As soon as I started reading it, I remembered it bc one of my managed fleet 135s called asking the same question. And I forwarded this email to them. Thanks for the clarification.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1