Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Attn: Anyone considering SkyWest

PeterE
02-28-2018, 11:11 AM
I would highly recommend looking elsewhere.

If you're a west coaster bases can be attained within a somewhat reasonable amount of time (for now) but with the east coast growth this will continue to slow and increase. Reserve times are high and block times are low, not ideal for someone starting out and looking to build 121 flight time (it will take you a LONG time to get 1,000 121 for upgrade).

If you are ok with the east coast bases you WILL be ran ragged. Quality of life is terrible at virtually any seniority and our pay rates and work rules have fallen to the bottom of the pack. I would expect to get placed east in both fleets out of training with summer approaching and new east coast aircraft coming online. There is some growth out west with Alaska but these seats are spoken for by CRJ pilots and existing FO's.

You will not be a west coast captain in any reasonable amount of time. If you chose to upgrade to the east coast domiciles life will not be fun. You'll be doing the same job for not only a fraction of our mainline partners, but peers in the regional industry as well. You will be pushed into extensions, poor weather, and broken down (200) aircraft. There is no schedule flexibility, calling in sick or EMER are the only options.

I make this post because I often fly with misinformed new hires who were badly deceived.

The recruiters will sell you on the current domicile transfer times (which are a poor indicator of the future), stability of the company (SkyWest is going head on into a staffing crisis this summer, I would not want to be at the bottom when it hits..see RAH form a couple years ago), and future aircraft delivery (growth in the east, reductions in the west, CRJ is severely understaffed). The writing is on the wall here, things will only get worse.

SkyWest is not the place it once was, don't let some 1-2 year FO/CA recruiter tell you otherwise. There are many options out there superior to SW. Go get paid, enjoy a better quality of life. Don't waste 3-5 months in training at SKW, only to switch right after IOE.

skytrails
02-28-2018, 12:38 PM
How about for a direct entry captain that wants an east coast or midwest base, wants to fly as much as possible so he can move on in the shortest amount of time?

amcnd
02-28-2018, 01:26 PM
Today ______ (insert regional) is on the bottom. Pay, QOL sucks.. tomorrow said regional will be on top, and people won’t be able to get enough of them. Wait 5 years. Repeat...

One thing I've learned is don’t go based off of todays posts on APC... Go because it fits your “end” goal.....

Check Complete
02-28-2018, 02:25 PM
Today ______ (insert regional) is on the bottom. Pay, QOL sucks.. tomorrow said regional will be on top, and people won’t be able to get enough of them. Wait 5 years. Repeat...

One thing I've learned is don’t go based off of todays posts on APC... Go because it fits your “end” goal.....

Nope, SkyWest is just starting the steepest part of a very long down hill run. It is highly unlikely that our conditions will ever meet any where close to our competition. I give it 50/50 this is the start of the end. I’m certain our management talent could drive a top Burger King into the ground.

I’m very senior and have a bit to go, if I stay to the bitter end I’d be very near the top of the list. I get virtually any schedule I want, almost too comfortable. Sending out resumes Monday, including Home Depot. Not kidding!

Bottom line, if you live at our most junior bases, plan no more than 2 years here, you would be a blithering moron to come here.

rickair7777
02-28-2018, 02:38 PM
I’m certain our management talent could drive a top Burger King into the ground.

They've done pretty well for a very long time.

Either they've suddenly developed dementia, or they have a plan.

The plan might be that the regional industry is about to change dramatically and there's nothing they can do about it, so they're enjoying the ride (and profits) while they can. They may suspect that most of the pilots are going to leave regardless when DAL starts paying six-figure signing bonuses to anyone with a 121 type rating, so why pee away cash fighting a losing battle? Profit off their backs until the bigs start drafting all comers.

Or maybe they're just not worried because they're still filling classes, and you guys still come to work six days a week.

COKS
02-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Is it really that bad? Im looking to apply here in the coming months, debating skywest or republic.

Mercyful Fate
02-28-2018, 02:54 PM
They've done pretty well for a very long time.

Either they've suddenly developed dementia, or they have a plan.

The plan might be that the regional industry is about to change dramatically and there's nothing they can do about it, so they're enjoying the ride (and profits) while they can. They may suspect that most of the pilots are going to leave regardless when DAL starts paying six-figure signing bonuses to anyone with a 121 type rating, so why pee away cash fighting a losing battle? Profit off their backs until the bigs start drafting all comers.

Or maybe they're just not worried because they're still filling classes, and you guys still come to work six days a week.

You don't survive in this industry without knowing what you are doing. Guaranteed there is a plan A, plan B, and a plan C.

Jet175
02-28-2018, 02:56 PM
I hate to say it but PeterE is pretty spot on with his post. :(

flysooner9
02-28-2018, 03:05 PM
Doubt management is planning on riding off into the sunset if they are back at the negotiating table.

Either way I still predict any regional pilot right now will have a seat at a major in the next 5 years if they want it.

Check Complete
02-28-2018, 03:25 PM
Is it really that bad? Im looking to apply here in the coming months, debating skywest or republic.

On another forum, there is a comparison between Republics contract and SkyWest’s.

For my March schedule I’d be up over 2 grand alone and 7 hours of vacation and sick accrual!

COKS
02-28-2018, 03:37 PM
On another forum, there is a comparison between Republics contract and SkyWest’s.

For my March schedule I’d be up over 2 grand alone and 7 hours of vacation and sick accrual!

Where might I be able to find that info at?

amcnd
02-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Its always crap when someone doing the same job makes more then you... imagine being a 6 year XJT fo right now.... im senior and im senior and im leaving. Mostly to do something different... learn a new aircraft...

Check Complete
02-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Its always crap when someone doing the same job makes more then you... imagine being a 6 year XJT fo right now.... im senior and im senior and im leaving. Mostly to do something different... learn a new aircraft...

There’s your excuse to come to SkyWest, and not some other garbage regional that pays 20% better and has much better contractual conditions.

PeterE
02-28-2018, 04:18 PM

Unfortunately, it is. Check out the pay disparity between RAH and SKW. Someone recently made a comparison and it should be a huge wakeup call to everyone at SKW. I would defiantly recommend RAH at this point.

PeterE
02-28-2018, 04:23 PM
How about for a direct entry captain that wants an east coast or midwest base, wants to fly as much as possible so he can move on in the shortest amount of time?

I can understand someone wanting come to SKW under these conditions.

I still would recommend you stay away. Reserve here is not a pretty thing, you will not be blocking 80-90+. Our reserve rules are flat out bad. They were bad before everything started getting better everywhere else. On reserve you will be constantly jerked around and manipulated to remain below guarantee completing random turns and ready reserve.

As a "direct entry captain" you will be at the bottom of the 4,600 pilot pile and constantly pushed down to RSV. I would say it's worth it to go to a different regional with a short upgrade even if you have to sit in the right seat briefly. You will get a larger bonus, higher FO pay, CA pay, and reserve work rules.

PeterE
02-28-2018, 04:27 PM

I disagree. SKW is at the bottom, things are picking up so much speed that wasting time dealing with what SKW has become is not a sound choice.

WesternSkies
02-28-2018, 04:27 PM
I think people are in for a very rude awakening if this cyclical industry starts to cycle back down.

You can hold any base in under a year in any airplane even the small ones. Times are good.

Life is good. Go where you want.

PeterE
02-28-2018, 04:30 PM
Doubt management is planning on riding off into the sunset if they are back at the negotiating table.

I agree that management isn't planning on riding off into the sunset but management agreeing to SAPA's request to return to the "negotiating table" is a joke. SAPA is completely and totally outgunned when it comes to the brains of the show in SGU. I would not expect much.

hawk21
02-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Give it ~1 year when the pipeline of new pilots coming to class starts drying up and we'll be back to the glory days of being at the top of pay and QOL.

Remember, we are in negotiations already.

PeterE
02-28-2018, 05:26 PM
We were in negotiations last year about this time. Look where it got us.

hawk21
02-28-2018, 05:28 PM

That was a rushed TA so they could bid on flying. That flying is locked down now.

Now they can take their time on a "real TA".

PeterE
02-28-2018, 05:33 PM
Who, SAPA? I'm sorry but RJ and is crew are severely outgunned and in over their head. They cant even restrict newhire voting or send out a survey that works. It's truly a broken concept.

hawk21
02-28-2018, 05:35 PM
Yes I agree. That's why I included quotes in my post.

rickair7777
02-28-2018, 05:46 PM
I think people are in for a very rude awakening if this cyclical industry starts to cycle back down.

You can hold any base in under a year in any airplane even the small ones. Times are good.

Life is good. Go where you want.

Haha, you're right. I bet a bunch of the new generation will quit in a huff and return home to live with their parents if the music stops before they can hold weekends off as a wide body CA.

word302
02-28-2018, 05:51 PM

It’s more than just money though.

word302
02-28-2018, 05:54 PM
I agree that management isn't planning on riding off into the sunset but management agreeing to SAPA's request to return to the "negotiating table" is a joke. SAPA is completely and totally outgunned when it comes to the brains of the show in SGU. I would not expect much.

If you hold management in such high regards do you really think they’re going to let things spiral out of control?

word302
02-28-2018, 05:57 PM
That was a rushed TA so they could bid on flying. That flying is locked down now.

If you think management was waiting for our silly TA before bidding on flying you don’t have much business sense. Kind of like our supreme leader.

PeterE
02-28-2018, 06:01 PM
If you hold management in such high regards do you really think they’re going to let things spiral out of control?

I never said things will spiral out of control.

I do believe our performance will suffer but the company will keep on. This is the new normal and there are better places to do your regional sentence.

TheFly
02-28-2018, 08:14 PM

No, it isn't...don’t feed the trolls.

flysooner9
02-28-2018, 08:49 PM
APC. “Angry Pilot Central”

Mercyful Fate
03-01-2018, 02:50 AM
APC. “Angry Pilot Central”

It is getting more entertaining daily.

DirkDiggler
03-01-2018, 02:50 AM
If you guys ever want to see gains every single person on here should be saying “don’t come here.” If you’re happy with what you have, then keep saying it’s great. This is a great quote to illustrate that:

"As long as I have applications on my desk, I'm paying my pilots too much."
- Jonathan Ornstein, CEO, Mesa Airlines

iHateAMR
03-01-2018, 03:12 AM

1%!! ... sort of.

WesternSkies
03-01-2018, 04:47 AM
If you guys ever want to see gains every single person on here should be saying “don’t come here.” If you’re happy with what you have, then keep saying it’s great. This is a great quote to illustrate that:

"As long as I have applications on my desk, I'm paying my pilots too much."
- Jonathan Ornstein, CEO, Mesa Airlines

Well then that means you at Expressjet have inc right where you want them! :sarcasm:

amcnd
03-01-2018, 04:59 AM
Well “gone March” just came out 61 pilots left but net gain of 21 pilots...

Squallrider
03-01-2018, 07:17 AM
Pay negotiations will move along fast, LGA opening as a base will put us in direct competition with endeavor for pilots. If you’re a new hire and you know Lga will be where you’re going then you’d probably say I might as well get paid more.

Expect things to progress quickly in next few months.

surfpilot1414
03-01-2018, 07:55 AM
Pay negotiations will move along fast, LGA opening as a base will put us in direct competition with endeavor for pilots. If you’re a new hire and you know Lga will be where you’re going then you’d probably say I might as well get paid more.

Is the LGA base a done deal or is it speculation???

skytrails
03-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Is the LGA base a done deal or is it speculation???

Your going to see BNA and DFW before you see LGA.

DelTacoBowl
03-01-2018, 08:09 AM
OO, all the east coast bases you could want, with 2/3 the pay and terrible work rules.

PeterE
03-01-2018, 08:20 AM
1%!! ... sort of.

I tend to look at it as -1% since I do not share SAPA's viewpoint that longevity steps account for inflation.

PeterE
03-01-2018, 08:22 AM
OO, all the east coast bases you could want, with 2/3 the pay and terrible work rules.

30 E175's going to the NE to be crewed out of ORD, plus the normal attrition out of the CRJ junior domiciles. You can guess where the junior pilots will be sent....

gojo
03-01-2018, 08:28 AM

New-b ignorance

PeterE
03-01-2018, 09:06 AM
Well “gone March” just came out 61 pilots left but net gain of 21 pilots...

40 captains left. How many of the newhires are upgrade qualified? Upgrade is essentially on the street and were not even into summer schedules. Add in the new airplanes...

flysooner9
03-01-2018, 09:12 AM
40 captains left. How many of the newhires are upgrade qualified? Upgrade is essentially on the street and were not even into summer schedules. Add in the new airplanes...

It is. When I interviewed I was told I would be a captain from day 1.

futurav8r
03-01-2018, 09:26 AM

Either way I still predict any regional pilot right now will have a seat at a major in the next 5 years if they want it.

I agree with PeterE's post...

In one recent note from SAPA, Management was NOT (yet) meeting with SAPA, so I think Mgt will slow roll this negotiation until they need to get more apps in. We are still growing, and the company will keep adding flying until they can't spread the pilots around all their bases.

To add to the OP's post, sitting reserve here does not help our Captains get 1,000 PIC. We have improved reserve somewhat since last summer, but our improvements still don't work all that well. Two examples: trading reserve days in March required me to call Crew Scheduling instead of working thru Sked+(-), and our Proffering only works for open time five days out. At A. Eagle 6+ years ago, Proffering was for all open time the next day. And, it was totally based on seniority (AFAIK), while SkyW has proffering credit limits to spread the load out and keep hungry reserve pilots from breaking guarantee easier.

That said, I'm not based in our newer SkyEast bases, so their reserve experience will be different than mine in a small maintenance base.

Squallrider
03-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Your going to see BNA and DFW before you see LGA.

Lga bna will happen first.

PeterE
03-01-2018, 09:40 AM
It is. When I interviewed I was told I would be a captain from day 1.

I believe it.

That's how bad things are here. There is not enough qualified/willing FO's and the fleet is expanding by 45 airplanes this year. It will get worse. Capt. attrition is outpacing that of FO's 2:1, it used to be about even.

COKS
03-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Are things picking up on the ERJ side or is all the understaffing issues on the CRJ side of things?

PeterE
03-01-2018, 10:09 AM
It will as the DL airplanes come online, pretty slow overall.

But the aircraft will be crewed out of ORD. I would expect to be based there during this delivery cycle. If LGA does indeed happen you can assume that will become the new forced JR hangout.

rickair7777
03-01-2018, 10:51 AM
I believe it.

That's how bad things are here. There is not enough qualified/willing FO's and the fleet is expanding by 45 airplanes this year. It will get worse. Capt. attrition is outpacing that of FO's 2:1, it used to be about even.

There's a lot of CA's who have options in life... they are starting to exercise those.

Could work out for the company, get average longevity down... IF they can staff it safely.

Out West
03-01-2018, 10:53 AM
It will as the DL airplanes come online, pretty slow overall.

But the aircraft will be crewed out of ORD. I would expect to be based there during this delivery cycle. If LGA does indeed happen you can assume that will become the new forced JR hangout.

Great. There goes the chance to stay away from NY.

Unless those are ERJ’s?

skytrails
03-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Great. There goes the chance to stay away from NY.

Unless those are ERJ’s?

Yes it would be an ERJ base.

Bonanzer
03-01-2018, 12:19 PM
I think RAH and Skywest both as teamsters sounds good!

hawk21
03-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Lol @ people (management) thinking we can open up a New York base and compete against Republic and Endeavor for pilots with our current pay scales.

Squallrider
03-02-2018, 05:15 AM
Lol @ people (management) thinking we can open up a New York base and compete against Republic and Endeavor for pilots with our current pay scales.

Hence company pushing for talks. Don’t believe it that SAPA initiates it lol I have faith in SAPA guys but no one has that pull

amcnd
03-02-2018, 05:48 AM
They have said they are crewing it out of ORD... i could see a BNA or DAL base. But i dont see a NYC base for awhile..

Squallrider
03-02-2018, 06:17 AM
They have said they are crewing it out of ORD... i could see a BNA or DAL base. But i dont see a NYC base for awhile..

If you look at pairings for April you will see it is too much lga and deadheads for it to last long with them crewing it out of ORD and April will be but a small tip of the iceberg

CriticalMach
03-02-2018, 06:56 AM
If you look at pairings for April you will see it is too much lga and deadheads for it to last long with them crewing it out of ORD and April will be but a small tip of the iceberg

How do you see pairings for April?

RemoveB4Flight
03-02-2018, 07:25 AM
Do you know how long we operated out of Dtw and atl before opening bases? Deadheads constantly.
We could go a long time without opening an easy coast base if that’s what they choose to do.

amcnd
03-02-2018, 08:07 AM
Do you know how long we operated out of Dtw and atl before opening bases? Deadheads constantly.
We could go a long time without opening an easy coast base if that’s what they choose to do.

Same with LAX/SFO. How long were those not bases and full blown hub flying... i like the DH’s start and end. For those that commute, means more time off. And more pay..

NewGuy01
03-02-2018, 09:09 AM

If you're a west coaster bases can be attained within a somewhat reasonable amount of time (for now) but with the east coast growth this will continue to slow and increase. Reserve times are high and block times are low, not ideal for someone starting out and looking to build 121 flight time (it will take you a LONG time to get 1,000 121 for upgrade).

If you are ok with the east coast bases you WILL be ran ragged. Quality of life is terrible at virtually any seniority and our pay rates and work rules have fallen to the bottom of the pack. I would expect to get placed east in both fleets out of training with summer approaching and new east coast aircraft coming online. There is some growth out west with Alaska but these seats are spoken for by CRJ pilots and existing FO's.

You will not be a west coast captain in any reasonable amount of time. If you chose to upgrade to the east coast domiciles life will not be fun. You'll be doing the same job for not only a fraction of our mainline partners, but peers in the regional industry as well. You will be pushed into extensions, poor weather, and broken down (200) aircraft. There is no schedule flexibility, calling in sick or EMER are the only options.

I make this post because I often fly with misinformed new hires who were badly deceived.

The recruiters will sell you on the current domicile transfer times (which are a poor indicator of the future), stability of the company (SkyWest is going head on into a staffing crisis this summer, I would not want to be at the bottom when it hits..see RAH form a couple years ago), and future aircraft delivery (growth in the east, reductions in the west, CRJ is severely understaffed). The writing is on the wall here, things will only get worse.

SkyWest is not the place it once was, don't let some 1-2 year FO/CA recruiter tell you otherwise. There are many options out there superior to SW. Go get paid, enjoy a better quality of life. Don't waste 3-5 months in training at SKW, only to switch right after IOE.

It makes me sad to say it as overall, I have really enjoyed my time at SkyWest but I mostly agree with all of this. I've never been Kool Aid Man (OH YEAH) but after over ten years of 91/135 flying I was burnt out and hated aviation. Then I came to SkyWest and I really began to enjoy working as a pilot again. It's true I have barely flown but I already had the times the Majors were looking for before I showed up so this didn't matter. Yes upgrades for West Coast are longer than some Majors because there are so many lifers here. I know nothing about the CRJ or flying East of the Rockies but it does sound awful.

Regardless I see SkyWest facing some big challenges: attrition will become a major issue, hiring seems to be stable but a big question mark if it can keep up with attrition going forward this year. The biggest issue IMO is a "brain drain", a loss of talent if you will. I've flown with some amazing captains that honestly SkyWest didn't deserve but the market forced them to stay at SkyWest. The pilot market reality has shifted. Once these guys are gone SkyWest is going to have some big issues keeping the operation going as smooth as possible.

I will be leaving soon myself. Moving on up in the 121 world. So big thanks to all of the good people at SkyWest. Do not sell yourselves short. You are the best people I have ever worked with. If you elect to stay I hope that management treats you as you deserve to be treated: as some of the best aviators out there.

hawk21
03-02-2018, 09:40 AM
If you elect to stay I hope that management treats you as you deserve to be treated: as some of the best aviators out there.

That's funny.

TFAYD

hawk21
03-02-2018, 09:41 AM

Do you realize how much of a mess that operation is going to be to just crew 15-20 airplanes out of a base they aren't even doing most of the operations out of? Especially when that airport is LGA of all places.

KSCessnaDriver
03-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Do you realize how much of a mess that operation is going to be to just crew 15-20 airplanes out of a base they aren't even doing most of the operations out of? Especially when that airport is LGA of all places.

I imagine it going about as well as the last DCI carrier who tried it

SirLurksalot
03-02-2018, 04:04 PM
I imagine it going about as well as the last DCI carrier who tried it

Any idea what some of the routes are going to be?

KSCessnaDriver
03-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Spend some time on DeltaNet. May looks like ORD, BNA, PIT, RDU, from what I remember off hand.

SirLurksalot
03-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Spend some time on DeltaNet. May looks like ORD, BNA, PIT, RDU, from what I remember off hand.

Wonder where the 9E 900s are going then

WesternSkies
03-02-2018, 05:40 PM
Ord bna clt

KSCessnaDriver
03-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Wonder where the 9E 900s are going then

Wherever the EV 700's are going now? It's a revolving door on cities getting 700/900/170/175.

zondaracer
03-02-2018, 05:53 PM

ORD, CLE, CLT, CVG (only 1 scheduled departure in April), DTW (only one scheduled departure for the whole month of April), PIT, RDU, RIC. 177 planned departures out of LGA in April for the E175SC.

nopantsILS
03-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Who cares where the 175 is going. Stay away from SkyWest.

SirLurksalot
03-03-2018, 05:03 AM
Who cares where the 175 is going. Stay away from SkyWest.

Im not at skw. Just hoping it wont be doing my commute flights up there

gojo
03-03-2018, 06:01 AM
Im not at skw. Just hoping it wont be doing my commute flights up there

Ya, no kidding. I commute on Skywest every now and then and on average their flight time is about 15 minuets longer than the 49 minuets advertised. And another thing, why is Skywest the only CRJ operator that still does engine clearing runups after de icing? I was behind a Skywest flight the other day after getting type 4 and they did it right in front of us.

WesternSkies
03-03-2018, 06:10 AM
Ya, no kidding. I commute on Skywest every now and then and on average their flight time is about 15 minuets longer than the 49 minuets advertised. And another thing, why is Skywest the only CRJ operator that still does engine clearing runups after de icing? I was behind a Skywest flight the other day after getting type 4 and they did it right in front of us.

What caused your complex with OO? You read or post in OO threads more than your own company. Xjt? Worried? What?
Just curious

jacburn
03-03-2018, 06:37 AM

Because they don't get paid like the rest of the airline world. They have to sit at the gate for 20 minutes just to get paid the same as the rest of the airline world due to no block or better. They have to pad the time somewhere.

Paladin145
03-03-2018, 06:47 AM

Peter E makes a good point about recruiters. They are sales people.
CommutAir lured people with " upgrade when you hit 1,000 hours", knowing that their senior DHC-8 pilots would come over to the jet, and push you to the bottom of the list.

- Look at Airlines website.
- Look at forums.
- PM pilots that work there.

Recruiters input has lowest precedence.

rickair7777
03-03-2018, 06:56 AM
And another thing, why is Skywest the only CRJ operator that still does engine clearing runups after de icing? I was behind a Skywest flight the other day after getting type 4 and they did it right in front of us.

The CMO really jerks them around with icing procedures, esp. on the 200.

hawk21
03-03-2018, 09:40 AM
Until block or better is implemented or we get significantly higher pay rates, crews will drag out the block time.

DirkDiggler
03-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Until block or better is implemented or we get significantly higher pay rates, crews will drag out the block time.

You guys don't have block or better? When does your out time get recorded, all doors closed and brake released? In time for pay purposes? Brake set and MCD open? Some of these carriers base it on airplane movement, which is a bunch of horse crap.

hawk21
03-03-2018, 07:41 PM
You guys don't have block or better? When does your out time get recorded, all doors closed and brake released? In time for pay purposes? Brake set and MCD open? Some of these carriers base it on airplane movement, which is a bunch of horse crap.

MCD closed, brake released.

We get paid based off "historical credit" which is supposedly the six month average block from the season before or something like that. It usually ends up being about 10-20 minutes less than block each day depending on the trip.

Bonanzer
03-03-2018, 09:44 PM
MCD closed, brake released.

We get paid based off "historical credit" which is supposedly the six month average block from the season before or something like that. It usually ends up being about 10-20 minutes less than block each day depending on the trip.

Do you still get overages? So if I understand it you get historical credit or better, but historical credit is less then block.

Excargodog
03-03-2018, 09:57 PM

Hmm, that seems vaguely..... I'm struggling for a word here. Perhaps fraudulent comes closest.

What do you suppose would happen if you ceased doing your job 10-20 minutes before the aircraft was in its chocks because you were no longer being paid?

zondaracer
03-04-2018, 12:22 AM
Do you still get overages? So if I understand it you get historical credit or better, but historical credit is less then block.

Let’s say:

ABC-XYZ: Scheduled block - 1:15, Credit - 1:10
Actual block - 1:21, actual credit 1:21
Actual block - 1:05, actual credit 1:10
Actual block - 1:12, actual credit 1:12

Is that clearer?

gojo
03-04-2018, 02:47 AM
Let’s say:

ABC-XYZ: Scheduled block - 1:15, Credit - 1:10
Actual block - 1:21, actual credit 1:21
Actual block - 1:05, actual credit 1:10
Actual block - 1:12, actual credit 1:12

Is that clearer?

Let’s say you are over on your first leg by 20 minuets. Then the next two are under by 10 minuets each. Do you still get paid the 20 minuets you were over on the first leg, or does it all even out to your historical credit for the day?

zondaracer
03-04-2018, 05:16 AM
Let’s say you are over on your first leg by 20 minuets. Then the next two are under by 10 minuets each. Do you still get paid the 20 minuets you were over on the first leg, or does it all even out to your historical credit for the day?

You still get paid the 20 minutes that you were over on the first leg. It is leg by leg. Is there any airline that evens out the credit by day?

Example:
Leg 1: Sked Block- 1:00, sked credit- 0:50
actual block- 1:20, actual credit- 1:20
Leg 2: Sked Block- 1:00, sked credit- 0:50
actual block- 0:40, actual credit- 0:50
Leg 3: Sked Block- 1:00, sked credit- 0:50
actual block- 0:45, actual credit- 0:50
Daily total actual credit = 3:00

word302
03-04-2018, 05:43 AM

ERRj is all doors (including cargo) plus the brake.

word302
03-04-2018, 05:45 AM
Hmm, that seems vaguely..... I'm struggling for a word here. Perhaps fraudulent comes closest.

What do you suppose would happen if you ceased doing your job 10-20 minutes before the aircraft was in its chocks because you were no longer being paid?

While our system is a complete hose job, we are always being paid until the doors open.

rickair7777
03-04-2018, 06:48 AM

It's "Historical Average or Better". They get paid actual block. If block is less than the "historical average" they get paid the historical average.

So if you fly fast, take shortcuts, or the leg cancels, you'll often get paid less than published marketing block. I never rushed (methodical is safe) or flew around on the barberpole (fuel conservation is good), so I usually flew the published block anyway. That could depend on where you're based, or the trips you do.

The company defines "historical average".

Rational behind this is because the COMPANY gets paid by the minute too. They're rigged it so pilots don't have an incentive to rush everywhere.

gojo
03-04-2018, 07:43 AM
It's "Historical Average or Better". They get paid actual block. If block is less than the "historical average" they get paid the historical average.

So if you fly fast, take shortcuts, or the leg cancels, you'll often get paid less than published marketing block. I never rushed (methodical is safe) or flew around on the barberpole (fuel conservation is good), so I usually flew the published block anyway. That could depend on where you're based, or the trips you do.

The company defines "historical average".

Rational behind this is because the COMPANY gets paid by the minute too. They're rigged it so pilots don't have an incentive to rush everywhere.

I think I’m beginning to understand it now. Kinda explains why I often feel like the pilots are dragging their feet. I have one other question. Is the true airspeed that is filled for flying slower? Or do the pilots just arbitrarily fly below that to gain block? Seems odd that I hear ATC ask so often for you all to pick it up. It seems like maybe they’re caught by surprise

rickair7777
03-04-2018, 08:18 AM
I think I’m beginning to understand it now. Kinda explains why I often feel like the pilots are dragging their feet. I have one other question. Is the true airspeed that is filled for flying slower? Or do the pilots just arbitrarily fly below that to gain block? Seems odd that I hear ATC ask so often for you all to pick it up. It seems like maybe they’re caught by surprise

Hopefully no one is flying slower than filed on a typical flight. They file you fairly slow anyway these days (compared to years past). Cruise flight is definitely NOT the place to pad the block, if you don't believe me, the stick shaker will back me up on this.

WesternSkies
03-04-2018, 08:38 AM

One is able to audit the times on the internal company website if one so wishes. All fleets are available to reference.
My last trip was had credit higher than block on most legs due to moving from deice season to spring.
You get paid for all work done, you don’t get paid for published block flying you didn’t fly.

A:14 used to be acceptable. But with the latest “major partner” push for A:0 incentives and “schedule integrity “ are now pushing us for that.

saxman66
03-04-2018, 09:41 AM
ORD, CLE, CLT, CVG (only 1 scheduled departure in April), DTW (only one scheduled departure for the whole month of April), PIT, RDU, RIC. 177 planned departures out of LGA in April for the E175SC.

So about 6 extra departures a day for April. More as the summer goes on. How many are out of DFW/DAL combined or BNA. Seems like CRJ's are doing a fair amount of CVG and RDU trips as well. I don't us opening LGA any time soon though. If it did open, I would be one of the few that would actually want to go. I was based at JFK in a previous life, and I probably made more soft time than ever because of cancellations, delays and flow times.

gojo
03-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Hopefully no one is flying slower than filed on a typical flight. They file you fairly slow anyway these days (compared to years past). Cruise flight is definitely NOT the place to pad the block, if you don't believe me, the stick shaker will back me up on this.

Yes, I remember Skywest's struggles with the stick shaker a few years back

sn00p
03-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Yes, I remember Skywest's struggles with the stick shaker a few years back

What’s new at 9E lately? :cool:

Rumors on Ejets? SLC base? You’re amongst good company.

gojo
03-04-2018, 11:31 AM
What’s new at 9E lately? :cool:

Rumors on Ejets? SLC base? You’re amongst good company.

Rumors? I haven’t heard anything credible. How bout you?

sn00p
03-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Rumors? I haven’t heard anything credible. How bout you?

Nothing this way either.

amcnd
03-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Delta still says they will go down to 3 regionals... so until hat happens and stabilizes for a year we wont see many changes. Plus they are maxed out on scope. So much OO has a 900 just sutting in BNA until April first..

gojo
03-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Delta still says they will go down to 3 regionals... so until hat happens and stabilizes for a year we wont see many changes. Plus they are maxed out on scope. So much OO has a 900 just sutting in BNA until April first..

What happens April first?

zondaracer
03-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Special holiday for regional pilots.

zondaracer
03-04-2018, 01:56 PM
So about 6 extra departures a day for April. More as the summer goes on. How many are out of DFW/DAL combined or BNA. Seems like CRJ's are doing a fair amount of CVG and RDU trips as well. I don't us opening LGA any time soon though. If it did open, I would be one of the few that would actually want to go. I was based at JFK in a previous life, and I probably made more soft time than ever because of cancellations, delays and flow times.

It will be 177 LGA departures for the month of April for Delta Connection. March has 0 departures. Add this up with the Alaska and United departures, I don't know how many total departures.

DFW departures on the Delta side are pretty few. Compass and Endeavor have many more departures out of DFW for Delta. I am not sure how a joint DFW/DAL domicile would work because all of the DAL flying is E175 Alaska flying. We do have a presence now on the American Eagle side in DFW, but it is all CRJ700s. I could only see a combined domicile if we flew E175s for American out of DFW, but at the moment I don't see that on the horizon.

amcnd
03-04-2018, 02:06 PM

That aircraft goes back in service and someone else takes a turn pulling a 76 seat aircraft ofline...

hawk21
03-04-2018, 02:39 PM
It will be 177 LGA departures for the month of April for Delta Connection. March has 0 departures. Add this up with the Alaska and United departures, I don't know how many total departures.

DFW departures on the Delta side are pretty few. Compass and Endeavor have many more departures out of DFW for Delta. I am not sure how a joint DFW/DAL domicile would work because all of the DAL flying is E175 Alaska flying. We do have a presence now on the American Eagle side in DFW, but it is all CRJ700s. I could only see a combined domicile if we flew E175s for American out of DFW, but at the moment I don't see that on the horizon.

The theory is DFW would be a CRJ base and DAL would be 175s for Alaska. I'm iffy on DAL still though because of the limited gate space. Not sure how much room for expansion there is. Maybe it would be a reserve base at first. It's all speculation at this point. But it sounds like we will see something down there at some point this year. After summer maybe.

Don't quote me on any of this. I don't really believe it yet. Unlike most rumors, Dallas has reliable sources behind it. Take that for what that is worth.

amcnd
03-04-2018, 04:31 PM
I could see DFW. Really depends on AA at this point. The AA 200’s are going away. With rumors of the 15 now being replaced with 700’s.. (more then 15) right now 8 aircraft flow through DFW for AA. Proboly 4-5 aircraft worth of flying. The kicker will be what XJT does when doen with DL CRJ flying and what happens to there AA CRJ flying...

flysooner9
03-04-2018, 05:26 PM
I thought it was mostly the fact that Envoy is expanding their 175 operation in ORD which in turn is pushing Skywest out of there for AA but they’re going to love those birds to DFW.

hawk21
03-04-2018, 05:41 PM
I thought it was mostly the fact that Envoy is expanding their 175 operation in ORD which in turn is pushing Skywest out of there for AA but they’re going to love those birds to DFW.

Correct. That's the theory. Which ORD definitely has a bunch of Envoy 175s taxiing around and doing routes we used to.

Mercyful Fate
03-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Correct. That's the theory. Which ORD definitely has a bunch of Envoy 175s taxiing around and doing routes we used to.

Hey, what is the latest on those special 900's you guys were supposed to be getting? You know, that rumor from the reliable source?

amcnd
03-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Hey, what is the latest on those special 900's you guys were supposed to be getting? You know, that rumor from the reliable source?

No special 900’s. (70 seat) Some used 700’s just popped up on the market... Cheaper to use them long run then new 900’s

hawk21
03-04-2018, 06:27 PM

They bought 175s instead troll.

Mercyful Fate
03-04-2018, 06:31 PM
They bought 175s instead troll.

http://replygif.net/i/1472.gif

saxman66
03-04-2018, 08:42 PM

Currently LGA has about 7 departures on our 175's combined between UA and AS. So in April we'll have about 12 to 13 departures per day from LGA.

Alaska/Virgin only have two gates at DAL and they need more, but I don't think they are able to get any. DAL is limited to 20 gates total and WN, obviously, has most of them. DL has another gate which is still in dispute. DFW has a small handful of 175 flights on the UA side, but that number changes month to month.

calmwinds
03-05-2018, 07:18 AM
Currently LGA has about 7 departures on our 175's combined between UA and AS. So in April we'll have about 12 to 13 departures per day from LGA.

Alaska/Virgin only have two gates at DAL and they need more, but I don't think they are able to get any. DAL is limited to 20 gates total and WN, obviously, has most of them. DL has another gate which is still in dispute. DFW has a small handful of 175 flights on the UA side, but that number changes month to month.

At one point, Xjet (and SkyWest) owned the long term lease for 2 of the DAL gates and sold the lease back to United. United is presently leasing those gates to SWA. So, at some point, 2 more DAL gates will be up for grabs whenever the United lease to SWA is up.

DL has a part-time gate which they lease from SWA. DL and SWA have been battling in court ever since DL lost their gates at DAL when the new terminal was built. DL has been winning that battle mostly.

The DFW/DAL agreement prevents the same 121 carrier from flying out of both. It also limits the maximum gates at DAL to the number there today. As a result, SWA doesn’t fly from DFW. Endeavor (and formerly Xjet) cover the Delta flying. So, technically, DL doesn’t fly out of DAL.

hawk21
03-05-2018, 03:25 PM
The DFW/DAL agreement prevents the same 121 carrier from flying out of both.

I thought this was proven false back when the Dallas rumors began. We are already operating out of both.

KSCessnaDriver
03-05-2018, 06:08 PM
At one point, Xjet (and SkyWest) owned the long term lease for 2 of the DAL gates and sold the lease back to United. United is presently leasing those gates to SWA. So, at some point, 2 more DAL gates will be up for grabs whenever the United lease to SWA is up.

DL has a part-time gate which they lease from SWA. DL and SWA have been battling in court ever since DL lost their gates at DAL when the new terminal was built. DL has been winning that battle mostly.

The DFW/DAL agreement prevents the same 121 carrier from flying out of both. It also limits the maximum gates at DAL to the number there today. As a result, SWA doesn’t fly from DFW. Endeavor (and formerly Xjet) cover the Delta flying. So, technically, DL doesn’t fly out of DAL.

DAL-ATL is 717/320 all day every day, but nice try...

saxman66
03-05-2018, 07:22 PM
DAL-ATL is 717/320 all day every day, but nice try...

I was going to say. I know I saw mainline DL landing at Love the other day. Alaska now technically operates out of both airports as well.

hawk21
03-06-2018, 03:26 AM
So, technically, DL doesn’t fly out of DAL.

A quick search on FlightAware shows this to be incredibly false.

dfrenchbk
03-10-2018, 12:22 AM
Would a 135 job at XOJet be better? A possibility for me, anyway.

Learflyer
03-10-2018, 03:32 AM

Yes. Lots of ex skywesters over at xo.

rvatornate
03-10-2018, 04:38 AM

Very thankful for the opportunity SKW gave me. Happy I'm now at XOJET. Enjoying it very much.

Sloneckozzz
03-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Be surprised with the amount of people going to Piedmont, Envoy etc etc even with Republic and Endeavors pay rates.

Plus...idk if you would want to wait till next year for a class date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93Sierra
03-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Bring on alpa! Proud supporter

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1