Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Is C5 leaving IAD

Pilotwhois47yrs
02-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Say it isn't so Joe. Is Commutair closing its Dulles base?

JediCheese
02-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Doubtful. AW took a ton of the flying we used to do out of IAD, but we're still there.

Plus we just built/expanded our training center in IAD.

marshal
02-28-2018, 05:35 PM
AW took a ton of the flying we used to do out of IAD, but we're still there.

Was this a side effect of parking of the dash and only having jets or something else?

v1valarob
02-28-2018, 10:18 PM
Not exactly the most scientific but from the United time table for March we operate to the following out of IAD:

ALB, BDL, BTV, CLE, CMH, EWR, FAY, GRR, GSP, IND, JAX, MDT, ORF, RIC, ROA, ROC, SAV, SYR

A search through the United time tables for June shows we operate out of Dulles:

ALB, BDL, BTV, CHO, CLE, EWR, FAY, GRR, JAX, MDT, RIC, ROA, ROC, SCE, SDF.

If itís somewhere new then you just gotta get lucky with a search, when it comes to this summer. March is the most recent month with a time table with an excel format available.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-01-2018, 04:57 AM
Say it isn't so Joe. Is Commutair closing its Dulles base?

Nope, we (MGMT) expect to grow IAD by end of this year. We're here to stay, atleast for a while. What made you ask though? Other than IAD not currently growing.

JediCheese
03-01-2018, 05:34 AM
Nope, we (MGMT) expect to grow IAD by end of this year. We're here to stay, atleast for a while. What made you ask though? Other than IAD not currently growing.
Management also expected to bring on 2 airplanes a month. I haven't seen a new bird in months in our D85.

As much as I want to trust management here, it's like domestic abuse when trying to believe what they say. I know they want to do better, but previous actions prove that all promises fall very short.

My final point is 'growing' IAD might not mean growing IAD turns. It might mean growing IAD hours by flying crews to EWR and then flying turns out of EWR.

the apprentice
03-01-2018, 11:12 AM

Management expects a lot of things. The focus is no longer the 60 airplanes now is aircraft utilization and that why we have not seen any additional aircraft added. The reality is that the company is not able to staff any additional aircraft and is just playing around with the numbers to justify the shortcoming by coming up with a justifiable alternative.

MaxQ
03-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Management expects a lot of things. The focus is no longer the 60 airplanes now is aircraft utilization and that why we have not seen any additional aircraft added. The reality is that the company is not able to staff any additional aircraft and is just playing around with the numbers to justify the shortcoming by coming up with a justifiable alternative.

Not an entirely accurate post.
1. Get the Dash pilots transitioned to the ERJ. Almost complete.
Why repeat the past mistake of hiring more people than can train?
This is reflected in larger classes lined up.
2. Fly the aircraft on property to full utilization. When that's done (which is Mar schedule I believe...someone correct me if I am wrong on that point) then add airplanes...which should be April.

You are correct in that a key component is staffing. Early in program it was poorly handled. Steps taken to improve previous problems were somewhat damaged by a few people stridently telling all who can read to go elsewhere, which delayed getting the base problem of not enough pilots fixed.
Reduced utilization and bringing Dash pilots over to the ERJ have come a long ways towards addressing these problems.

CommutAir just finished Feb. #3 out of 8 in UAX performance numbers (at least those parameters mgmt. shares with us enlisted folk).

Bring pilots in the door and additional aircraft will come and time to upgrade will plummet.
No reason this should not happen unless a few morons form online circular firing squads.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Not an entirely accurate post.
1. Get the Dash pilots transitioned to the ERJ. Almost complete.
Why repeat the past mistake of hiring more people than can train?
This is reflected in larger classes lined up.
2. Fly the aircraft on property to full utilization. When that's done (which is Mar schedule I believe...someone correct me if I am wrong on that point) then add airplanes...which should be April.

You are correct in that a key component is staffing. Early in program it was poorly handled. Steps taken to improve previous problems were somewhat damaged by a few people stridently telling all who can read to go elsewhere, which delayed getting the base problem of not enough pilots fixed.
Reduced utilization and bringing Dash pilots over to the ERJ have come a long ways towards addressing these problems.

CommutAir just finished Feb. #3 out of 8 in UAX performance numbers (at least those parameters mgmt. shares with us enlisted folk).

Bring pilots in the door and additional aircraft will come and time to upgrade will plummet.
No reason this should not happen unless a few morons form online circular firing squads.

MaxQ you just gotta understand that some of these keyboard warriors will never be pleased. Not even an effort to balance out the negatives with some positives like you did. Just misery misery misery.

I believe we have come a long way. Guys from other airlines usually come on here saying we are boomerangs (RTF, RTG). How we are always late and canceling flights (which some of it was true when sh** had hit the fan in the past). Now we have gotten much more reliable than our past reputation, as much as 3 out of 8 in UAX partner ranking, and not one peek outta them on this forum lately. Not even to say "you guys have improved". Ha! Hold strong CommutAir crew and non-flying employees, we are knocking it outta the park. Thank you guys for everything. Very Professional.

I must say, us management learnt from most of our mistakes. (We still make some ****ty ones)

P.S. I am glad we haven't taken a jet off the end of the runway since we commenced delivery in 2016 lol. And that's cuz we have great instructors, professional pilots and safety is our number 1 priority!!

PotatoChip
03-01-2018, 02:02 PM
And go!
Contract allows for unlimited extensions. That will likely continue.
I see zero reason to encourage people to go to CommutAir with so many better options available.
All Iíll say is do your research, folks!

MGMTiswatchingU
03-01-2018, 02:05 PM
And go!
Contract allows for unlimited extensions. That will likely continue.
I see zero reason to encourage people to go to CommutAir with so many better options available.
All Iíll say is do your research, folks!

Potatochippppp!! I missed you man, where'd you go? Good to have you back!!

PotatoChip
03-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Potatochippppp!! I missed you man, where'd you go? Good to have you back!!

I keep tabs every now and then. It keeps me youthful.
I'm happy and proud be a keyboard warrior steering people away from CommutAir. I wish people had done the same for me, it's a year of my life I can't get back. I'm sure some things have improved, and I saw some things improve while I was there... but I still have several friends there who tell me the actual truths. And let's be certain, the contract, which is deplorable, has not changed at all.
As far as instructors being safe, I'll spare the details on a public forum, but lets say I saw the worst flying in my entire career with a couple instructors there... bad enough that the FAA was involved. It was a major factor in leaving.

Folks considering C5, just please do this for me: Talk to ANYONE who worked at CommutAir and then another regional. Ask them which was better. Or ask someone who worked at a different regional before C5.
I won't tell you what their answer will be, but that should help you make up your mind. The people that continually defend C5, and I know a few of them personally, have never worked at any other 121 in their life. They have no perspective of how an airline can actually be run.

Cheers.

Whoop
03-01-2018, 03:21 PM
I keep tabs every now and then. It keeps me youthful.
I'm happy and proud be a keyboard warrior steering people away from CommutAir. I wish people had done the same for me, it's a year of my life I can't get back. I'm sure some things have improved, and I saw some things improve while I was there... but I still have several friends there who tell me the actual truths. And let's be certain, the contract, which is deplorable, has not changed at all.
As far as instructors being safe, I'll spare the details on a public forum, but lets say I saw the worst flying in my entire career with a couple instructors there... bad enough that the FAA was involved. It was a major factor in leaving.

Folks considering C5, just please do this for me: Talk to ANYONE who worked at CommutAir and then another regional. Ask them which was better. Or ask someone who worked at a different regional before C5.
I won't tell you what their answer will be, but that should help you make up your mind. The people that continually defend C5, and I know a few of them personally, have never worked at any other 121 in their life. They have no perspective of how an airline can actually be run.

Cheers.

I think Chip could use some dip.

Move along...

MGMTiswatchingU
03-01-2018, 03:55 PM
I think Chip could use some dip.

Move along...

That's a broken Chip due to the man-handling C5 gave him in his past. It haunts him.

Paid2fly
03-01-2018, 04:24 PM
That's a broken Chip due to the man-handling C5 gave him in his past. It haunts him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There's your "dip" for potato chip...;);)

FmrPropCapt
03-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Chip aside... I've heard some horror stories. From current and former pilots at C5. If half are true and you can get on with awac or an EWR based airline like RAH... Why would anyone choose to go to C5 unless it's their last choice. Honestly, what do you have to offer others don't? Being an overactive cheerleader who's correct about their inside knowledge 50% of the time (maybe 50) why would. Pilot go there? Seriously, why? The new mesa?

CozyDriver
03-02-2018, 05:05 AM
Sorry, I'm new to 121 and just wondering about the airline nicknames?

the apprentice
03-02-2018, 05:17 AM
The truth is we are short staffed we are not getting the 60 airplanes and the leaked rumors by management are falling apart. Can anyone say Fakenews on the part of management?

On another note I just received the lovely call as I arrived to work this morning informing me that my schedule has changed today. I asked what was the changes and they informed me that my 4 flights have been cancelled and that I have been assigned to conditional reserve until my original release time of 6:00pm today (Note that I am a line holder). I asked what am I scheduled for tomorrow and my flight have also been cancelled and I have been assigned to conditional reserve ones again.

Management out of curiosity where did you get your college degree from if you even have one? You should demand your money back from the university because you have been robbed. Vandelay industries is a better run organization than this place.

CozyDriver
03-02-2018, 05:23 AM
The truth is we are short staffed we are not getting the 60 airplanes and the leaked rumors by management are falling apart. Can anyone say Fakenews on the part of management?

On another note I just received the lovely call as I arrived to work this morning informing me that my schedule has changed today. I asked what was the changes and they informed me that my 4 flights have been cancelled and that I have been assigned to conditional reserve until my original release time of 6:00pm today (Note that I am a line holder). I asked what am I scheduled for tomorrow and my flight have also been cancelled and I have been assigned to conditional reserve ones again.

Management out of curiosity where did you get your college degree from if you even have one? You should demand your money back from the university because you have been robbed. Vandelay industries is a better run organization than this place.
What's "conditional" reserve? Reserve you sit when wx is so poor that the few flights not cancelled in or out of EWR are flown by people further up the seniority list?

the apprentice
03-02-2018, 05:36 AM
Conditional reserve is easy when management cancels your flight which is every single day you show up to work they make you sit airport reserve until your original release time and thats a lo of hours of sitting around at the airport doing absolutely nothing.

Another possible scenario is that they will continue to deadhead you endlessly. I have shown up to work for a 4 day trip worth 21 hours of actual flying. At the end of those 4 days I have deadheaded for 8 hours and flown 2 hours.

Can you say management is clueless and extremely incompetent?

MGMTiswatchingU
03-02-2018, 05:53 AM
Conditional reserve is easy when management cancels your flight which is every single day you show up to work they make you sit airport reserve until your original release time and thats a lo of hours of sitting around at the airport doing absolutely nothing.

Another possible scenario is that they will continue to deadhead you endlessly. I have shown up to work for a 4 day trip worth 21 hours of actual flying. At the end of those 4 days I have deadheaded for 8 hours and flown 2 hours.

Apprentice just leave, why complain when you can just leave? Leave so that others can move up in seniority. Don't hold up the line....as hot potato would say, there are better regionals out there that may satisfy you. Just quit man, problem solved. ;)

CozyDriver
03-02-2018, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the insight. Are you a CA, or FO? Commuter? Any particular reason this is happening? For example, are they positioning you for flights that keep getting cancelled? Do they have knowledge that your flights are being cancelled well before you head to the airport, and telling you too late? Is it happening to lots of pilots? And what do you do sitting for hours and not flying - cribbage, APC, and updating jepp charts? Speaking of which, when are iPad EFB's coming?

MGMTiswatchingU
03-02-2018, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the insight. Are you a CA, or FO? Commuter? Any particular reason this is happening? For example, are they positioning you for flights that keep getting cancelled? Do they have knowledge that your flights are being cancelled well before you head to the airport, and telling you too late? Is it happening to lots of pilots? And what do you do sitting for hours and not flying - cribbage, APC, and updating jepp charts? Speaking of which, when are iPad EFB's coming?

Hahahaha!! He/she APCing.

CozyDriver
03-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Easy there pardner, I'm not taking sides here. Just looking for all available info. Some of those are questions for MGMT too :D

MGMTiswatchingU
03-02-2018, 06:11 AM
Easy there pardner, I'm not taking sides here. Just looking for all available info. Some of those are questions for MGMT too :D

I know you ain't, it's just funny how you included that since that's what he is currently doing to reply to ya. Haha!

the apprentice
03-02-2018, 06:12 AM
All of this is standard operating procedure around this place. All this happens for a couple reasons. The most logical to explain is because we are extremely short staffed in every possible way. The other reasons are because management is to busy on the forums spreading fake news instead of running the organization.

EFB's? I am not holding my breath, They have been stashed in some secret room in Cleveland of which only a handful of people have allegedly seen them and are waiting to who knows what to role them out to the pilot group.

As you can see management is to busy spending his days on the forums instead of applying himself to something more productive in improving this company.

As for me I am on here because I have completed my morning walk around the airport, took a nap and I am sitting conditional reserve for most of the day. But if you are worried of my postings don't be alarmed the internet connection is about to get extremely slow because they can not even provide us a descent internet connection in the crew room.

Management instead of me leaving why don't you and the rest of the management team turn your resignations in and allow for more competent people to come in and turn this place around?

PotatoChip
03-02-2018, 06:16 AM

It happens because CommutAir has a terrible contract that allows it to happen and they donít know how to run an airline. Iím not exaggerating. They arenít positioning you for anything. They simply donít want to send you home and still pay you. However, thatís exactly what happens at most airlines. Instead, CommutAir Forces pilots to sit at the airport when their flights cancel for upwards of eight hours. They will do this no matter how many reserves they actually have. Iíve seen over 20 pilots sitting around doing nothing with the company refusing to let them go home. This has resulted in pilots being forced to stay overnight and missing flights home.
Iíve personally sat ďconditional reserveĒ for over seven hours on more than one occasion in a five month period.
It happens all the time. They often know before you commute to work, but will not tell you until you actually show up. Other airlines will tell you before you commute, and you will be off with pay at home. Thatís how it should work.
MGMT will try and spin this somehow, And will tell people that donít like it that they should quit. That should be a red flag to you.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-02-2018, 06:20 AM
All of this is standard operating procedure around this place. All this happens for a couple reasons. The most logical to explain is because we are extremely short staffed in every possible way. The other reasons are because management is to busy on the forums spreading fake news instead of running the organization.

EFB's? I am not holding my breath, They have been stashed in some secret room in Cleveland of which only a handful of people have allegedly seen them and are waiting to who knows what to role them out to the pilot group.

As you can see management is to busy spending his days on the forums instead of applying himself to something more productive in improving this company.

As for me I am on here because I have completed my morning walk around the airport, took a nap and I am sitting conditional reserve for most of the day. But if you are worried of my postings don't be alarmed the internet connection is about to get extremely slow because they can not even provide us a descent internet connection in the crew room.

Management instead of me leaving why don't you and the rest of the management team turn your resignations in and allow for more competent people to come in and turn this place around?

I'm not the one complaining. I am totally great here :D

the apprentice
03-02-2018, 06:26 AM
You might not be complaining but you are horrible at your job. The mere fact that you are happy here does not make you qualified to do your job. Do everyone a favor and resign this will bring the greatest amount of happiness to the greatest amount of people.

CozyDriver
03-02-2018, 06:27 AM
It happens because CommutAir has a terrible contract that allows it to happen and they donít know how to run an airline. Iím not exaggerating. They arenít positioning you for anything. They simply donít want to send you home and still pay you. However, thatís exactly what happens at most airlines. Instead, CommutAir Forces pilots to sit at the airport when their flights cancel for upwards of eight hours. They will do this no matter how many reserves they actually have. Iíve seen over 20 pilots sitting around doing nothing with the company refusing to let them go home. This has resulted in pilots being forced to stay overnight and missing flights home.
Iíve personally sat ďconditional reserveĒ for over seven hours on more than one occasion in a five month period.
It happens all the time. They often know before you commute to work, but will not tell you until you actually show up. Other airlines will tell you before you commute, and you will be off with pay at home. Thatís how it should work.
MGMT will try and spin this somehow, And will tell people that donít like it that they should quit. That should be a red flag to you.
Thanks Chip. I assumed every regional pilot had a second job that could be done on a small laptop at odd hours from any random airport terminal for exactly that reason. Sucks about the wifi speed though.

the apprentice
03-02-2018, 06:29 AM
Internet speed has been know to be slower than dial up. Gets a little annoying after hours upon hours of conditional reserve.

PotatoChip
03-02-2018, 06:32 AM
Thanks Chip. I assumed every regional pilot had a second job that could be done on a small laptop at odd hours from any random airport terminal for exactly that reason. Sucks about the wifi speed though.

No.
At pretty much EVERY other regional airline, only ACTUAL reserve pilots sit on reserve. Some have language that allows the company to keep them at the airport for say, two hours or so, and then release them. CommutAir does not, and can and will completely change your schedule routinely.

Most regional pilots work one job. Flying. Most regional pilots don't sit around airports as much as CommutAir pilots. Some do have side jobs, but most of the work they do is on layovers.
CommutAir didn't even have short call reserve until last year. And when they did get it, they had no idea how to utilize it. During my six months on reserve I as given short call only three times. Every other shift was airport standby. Again, every other regional airline does this better, even GoJet.

CozyDriver
03-02-2018, 06:35 AM
No.
At pretty much EVERY other regional airline, only ACTUAL reserve pilots sit on reserve. Some have language that allows the company to keep them at the airport for say, two hours or so, and then release them. CommutAir does not, and can and will completely change your schedule routinely.

Most regional pilots work one job. Flying. Most regional pilots don't sit around airports as much as CommutAir pilots. Some do have side jobs, but most of the work they do is on layovers.
CommutAir didn't even have short call reserve until last year. And when they did get it, they had no idea how to utilize it. During my six months on reserve I as given short call only three times. Every other shift was airport standby. Again, every other regional airline does this better, even GoJet.
What was their reply when you pointed that out?

PotatoChip
03-02-2018, 06:43 AM
What was their reply when you pointed that out?

The union has pointed this out and nothing has changed.
I have personally had a talk with the Director of Flight Operations, and to be honest I was stunned at how clueless he was to simple basic airline operating procedures. For instance, CommutAir forces pilots to report to the airport at their scheduled report time no matter how delayed their flight is or where the airplane they are flying is at.

That's crazy!!!

I've seen pilots report at an outstation, with no airplane to even fly, and sit there for four hours with nothing to do. Why is this so bad? Because now their official duty day has started and they are on the clock for FAR 117. This routinely leads to crews timing out later in the day when they could have simply stayed at the hotel for another four hours. This then ruins the start-up of the following day as well! It's then two to three days of screw ups. I suggested letting crews stay in the hotel, and report when they could actually fly. When I brought this up, he literally said, "Wow. Hadn't thought of that. That actually makes sense."

Again. This is a VP Director.

Facepalm.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-02-2018, 07:57 AM
You might not be complaining but you are horrible at your job. The mere fact that you are happy here does not make you qualified to do your job. Do everyone a favor and resign this will bring the greatest amount of happiness to the greatest amount of people.

Bad news for you apprentice.....I will be here for a very long time cuz its great!! You'll quit b4 I do, I promise you that ;)

PosRateGearUp
03-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Bad news for you apprentice.....I will be here for a very long time cuz its great!! You'll quit b4 I do, I promise you that ;)

Youíre an idiot...

Paid2fly
03-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Youíre an idiot...

Couldn't agree more!

MGMTiswatchingU
03-04-2018, 02:14 AM
Youíre an idiot...

Now that you got that off your chest, go "wooosaaa" in a corner.

the apprentice
03-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Management you never told us what school you received your BS degree from?

MGMTiswatchingU
03-04-2018, 10:30 AM
Management you never told us what school you received your BS degree from?

Harvard....that's how u develop the knowledge on how to find loop holes in a contract. Once you find it, you wring the sh** outta it :cool:

Filler

MGMTiswatchingU
03-04-2018, 10:35 AM
All I am saying is come negotiate day your union better bring the calvary. They'll need it.

Eg. See how we got LOA #4 passed quickly? We not joking.

JediCheese
03-04-2018, 10:46 AM
All I am saying is come negotiate day your union better bring the calvary. They'll need it.

Eg. See how we got LOA #4 passed quickly? We not joking.
Our Union management sold out the pilot group. I'm looking forward to when the MEC Chairman is up for election so I can vote against him. The treasurer had two feet out the door and I don't know what the FO rep was thinking (well, the FOs did get a good deal).

MGMTiswatchingU
03-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Our Union management sold out the pilot group. I'm looking forward to when the MEC Chairman is up for election so I can vote against him. The treasurer had two feet out the door and I don't know what the FO rep was thinking (well, the FOs did get a good deal).

I must agree, because it was too easy.

PotatoChip
03-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Just so anyone thinking about coming to CommutAir is clear... there is someone claiming to be involved in management on this forum that is imploring people to come to CommutAir because itís such a good place, and then at the same time bragging about screwing the pilots over in contract negotiations.

Thatís pretty much all you need to know about working there.

JediCheese
03-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Just so anyone thinking about coming to CommutAir is clear... there is someone claiming to be involved in management on this forum that is imploring people to come to CommutAir because it’s such a good place, and then at the same time bragging about screwing the pilots over in contract negotiations.

That’s pretty much all you need to know about working there.
I doubt it's a real management person. Likely a pilot due to their comments on ALB (ALB base just blew up on one of the C5 groups right before they 'spoiled' it here). What management is both at work on a Sunday afternoon to learn something new and then rushed to post it on a pilot website?

PotatoChip
03-04-2018, 12:30 PM
I doubt it's a real management person. Likely a pilot due to their comments on ALB (ALB base just blew up on one of the C5 groups right before they 'spoiled' it here). What management is both at work on a Sunday afternoon to learn something new and then rushed to post it on a pilot website?

Oh I totally agree. That’s why I said “claiming”.
It’s just really unfortunate that a pilot feels the need to trick people into working at C5. I don’t get it, unless it’s just 100% troll, which is just as likely. Besides, MGMT has some pretty horrendous spelling and grammar.
Facts are facts. There’s plenty of research available for folks. And there are also plenty of options.

PosRateGearUp
03-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Oh I totally agree. Thatís why I said ďclaimingĒ.
Itís just really unfortunate that a pilot feels the need to trick people into working at C5. I donít get it, unless itís just 100% troll, which is just as likely. Besides, MGMT has some pretty horrendous spelling and grammar.
Facts are facts. Thereís plenty of research available for folks. And there are also plenty of options.

I donít think heís tricking anyone into doing anything, but we all know youíre still feeling salty. He is simply making an ass out of himself and his ďHarvardĒ degree. If it is indeed someone in management Iíd imagine itís the communication department, theyíre about on the same level.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Potatochip is just clueless to what's going on. :D

MGMTiswatchingU
03-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Just so anyone thinking about coming to CommutAir is clear... there is someone claiming to be involved in management on this forum that is imploring people to come to CommutAir because itís such a good place, and then at the same time bragging about screwing the pilots over in contract negotiations.

Thatís pretty much all you need to know about working there.

You sound like someone who likes having their cake and eat it. You kinda don't believe I am management but at the same time saying CommutAir management is bragging about screwing the pilots.....ummm ok.

PotatoChip
03-04-2018, 03:06 PM
You sound like someone who likes having their cake and eat it. You kinda don't believe I am management but at the same time saying CommutAir management is bragging about screwing the pilots.....ummm ok.

Your reading comprehension is abysmal.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1