Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Lasik | Wearing Corrective lenses

jrdoge
03-05-2018, 03:13 AM
Hello everyone, I'm only 20 and I'll be graduating this school year. I'm quite new in aviation and I'll be taking flight training at Omni Aviation. My questions are the following:

• Does PAL (my preffered airline to work on in the future) or any other Philippine carriers accept pilots with corrective lenses? (i wear one 50/75)
• By undergoing LASIK surgery, does the applicant have different rule or same with qualified (20/20) applicants?

Thank you for your response!

rickair7777
03-05-2018, 08:21 PM
In the US...

You can have any sort of corrective lenses, or LASIK or PRK laser surgery.

But each eye must be able to correct to 20/20 individually, otherwise you'd need a waiver. Lots of people with strong prescription glasses, and a variety of laser surgeries flying in the US.

Overseas, it can be a very different story, potentially more stringent. I'm moving this another forum for that reason.

NEDude
03-06-2018, 04:38 AM
In the US...

You can have any sort of corrective lenses, or LASIK or PRK laser surgery.

But each eye must be able to correct to 20/20 individually, otherwise you'd need a waiver. Lots of people with strong prescription glasses, and a variety of laser surgeries flying in the US.

Overseas, it can be a very different story, potentially more stringent. I'm moving this another forum for that reason.

I had PRK and have worked in China and now work in Europe since I had the surgery. In the States it was pretty simple. In China and in Europe I had to do a contrast sensitivity test in order to qualify. The contrast sensitivity test is just to see how well you can see in low light/low contrast settings.

aviatorhi
03-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Not to steer this sideways but I hope you're a Filipino citizen if you really have your heart set on PAL for some reason.