Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuting

JustJon
03-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Looking for info on commutability from SMF, which base is easiest? Are lines built to allow some same day commuting or are you having to commute in the night prior a lot. Thanks

Excargodog
03-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Looking for info on commutability from SMF, which base is easiest? Are lines built to allow some same day commuting or are you having to commute in the night prior a lot. Thanks

https://sacramento.aero/smf/flight-and-travel/flight-status

It would appear that SEA and PDX are, unsurprisingly, likely to be easiest. At least for direct commuting. And once you go to two-leg or greater commuting, QOL tends to go down precipitously.

snackysmores
03-06-2018, 02:24 AM
SMF is easy to PDX/SEA.

Galaxy5
03-06-2018, 06:49 AM
Did it for 2 years. PDX. The few times I had to go to SEA for various business I was >50% in the jumpseat. Rarely going to PDX and only once was I ever with another commuting pilot. And the frequency to PDX isnít much less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustJon
03-06-2018, 08:47 AM
What about same day commuting vs having to come in the night before? Are the lines built to allow some same day commuting or is it all 5-6am shows?

Excargodog
03-07-2018, 09:43 AM
What about same day commuting vs having to come in the night before? Are the lines built to allow some same day commuting or is it all 5-6am shows?

Well, gee....

Hereís the whole schedule. Horizon flights are those numbers in the 2000-2999 range. Judge for yourself.

https://resource.alaskaair.net/-/media/Files/pdf/AlaskaAirlines-March18-AIM?v=1

sssergio
03-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Well, gee....

Hereís the whole schedule. Horizon flights are those numbers in the 2000-2999 range. Judge for yourself.

https://resource.alaskaair.net/-/media/Files/pdf/AlaskaAirlines-March18-AIM?v=1

This is great info. Do you have a link to the reserve lines?

Excargodog
03-07-2018, 02:31 PM
This is great info. Do you have a link to the reserve lines?

I'm not sure what you mine by reserve 'lines.' By definition, people on reserve really don't HAVE lines. They have availability times on their assigned days - depending on RAP - and days off.

Under normal circumstances (see Compass before the hiring freeze or Horizon before they got short on pilots and then got even more fouled up by the E-175 transition) they were called up for flights as needed. I guess it's still that way, it's just that they are continuously needed at present at Compass because they are short of FOs now.

Could be worse. A whole bunch of junior E-175 FOs here at Horizon are just sitting, not a good thing when you just got your type rating and are not going to get your consolidation time in the first four months. Looks like newbie Compass hires will get that in their first six weeks out of LOE.

Stinger6
03-07-2018, 06:26 PM
Ridiculous information. The pilot is asking a valid question. "Judge for yourself?" He (or she) can't; this information is available on Kayak.

Could someone please answer the question that a lot of have about lines, as opposed to just sending out the whole schedule? What are show times like? What are typical city pairs for your base, etc? Is your first day of reserve a 12 hour call out or airport ready, for instance?

It's a QOL question. And it's a "do I need a crash pad" question.

The flight schedule FROM Costa Rica TO Los Angeles is not helpful. You're just being, oh...what's the word?

Fixnem2Flyinem
03-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Ridiculous information. The pilot is asking a valid question. "Judge for yourself?" He (or she) can't; this information is available on Kayak.

Could someone please answer the question that a lot of have about lines, as opposed to just sending out the whole schedule? What are show times like? What are typical city pairs for your base, etc? Is your first day of reserve a 12 hour call out or airport ready, for instance?

It's a QOL question. And it's a "do I need a crash pad" question.

The flight schedule FROM Costa Rica TO Los Angeles is not helpful. You're just being, oh...what's the word?

When youíre junior at any airline you will have schedules that are hard to commute same day on both ends. At Horizon especially in the outstations there are many early shows and late finishes. This will require you to most likely spend the night in base on either end if not both ends. Until you gain some seniority and figure out how PBS works that is just the reality. Seniority is the name of the game as a commuting pilot, being junior just plan on burning a few extra days off commuting.

As far as trip pairings there is a mix of 2,3 and 4 days. Sometimes you will have back to back trips, being gone up to 5 or 6 days before a few days off to commute home. Example : Monday you start a 2 day trip at 430am. You comeback at 3pm on Tuesday and have a 5am show Wednesday for the 3 day getting back Friday maybe around 1130 or midnight. Just in that scenario you will need to be in base three nights, Sunday night, Tuesday night and Friday night. Unless you want to buy a hotel room on the nights youíre in base. I recommend a crash pad. Good news is on the Q in places like MFR the pads are cheap (sub 200). In SEA the crash pad will cost a bit more (around 250-300).

JustJon
03-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Thank you for all the replies and info.

Shifty101
03-28-2018, 01:52 PM
I am looking at making the jump into 121 and have applied to Horizon because my family lives in the BOI area. I interview in a few weeks. I have some questions and looking for some real world input, not just HR's input. I know the Q is based in BOI, how is the commuting on reserve? How long of reserve should I expect? Lastly, how hard is it to get a line in BOI? The main reason for making the switch from what I am flying now, federal government, to 121, is to get closer to family which is why Horizon interests me.

Any insight is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

snackysmores
03-28-2018, 02:17 PM
I am looking at making the jump into 121 and have applied to Horizon because my family lives in the BOI area. I interview in a few weeks. I have some questions and looking for some real world input, not just HR's input. I know the Q is based in BOI, how is the commuting on reserve? How long of reserve should I expect? Lastly, how hard is it to get a line in BOI? The main reason for making the switch from what I am flying now, federal government, to 121, is to get closer to family which is why Horizon interests me.

The May bid will get published in a few days and we can give you a pretty good idea.

Stinger6
04-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Hey speaking of bids...

How come the pilots get their bid done by the 25th of the month but scheduling can't get the buttons pushed on the software until the 20th of the following month? Put it another way, how does anybody plan their life? I don't mean vacations and second jobs, I mean child care and your spouse's employment and so on.

I don't have the big picture so I don't understand what they're doing in all that time. I was very excited when I saw how early the bids were produced and I would have thought that planning the trips was the hard part.

BigfatQ
04-18-2018, 06:41 PM
I think you're confusing flica and PBS. In PBS you bid between the 2. and the 8. for your schedule. then if you know the secret hack you can see the results around the 14th in e crew or some time later in pbs

WhiteH2O
04-18-2018, 07:02 PM
...if you know the secret hack you can see the results around the 14th in e crew...

How would one find out about this "secret hack"?

BigfatQ
04-19-2018, 12:17 AM
Ask around until someone can show it to you;)

flyguy727
04-23-2018, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking of applying at Horizon. What are there bases and what the equipment do they have?

TyWebb
04-24-2018, 07:27 AM
Flyguy,

go to the top of the page, click airline profiles, click regionals, and check out horizon's info page. It'll tell you....but keep in mind you gotta be more self-reliant than this. Especially as a pilot.

cactusflyer
04-24-2018, 01:05 PM

Seniority in BOI moves fairly fast from the right seat, and the numbers right now look like you'd spend maybe 3-4 months on reserve before getting a line at the rate things have been going recently.

Commuting to reserve will probably suck, since we're still somewhat short on FO's, so you can plan on being gone basically every single day of your reserve period (usually 4-5 day blocks), and even if you're on AM reserve, that is absolutely no guarantee crew scheduling won't put you onto a series of trips that get you back into BOI at midnight on the last day of reserve.