Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Schedules/Reserve/Pay

NeoPilott
03-07-2018, 06:08 AM
Hey all,

Live around KEWR and was wondering if someone could answer the following

what are the schedules like at C5 including reserve time. Are there many trips of 1-3 day length?

Ability to credit over 75 min. guaranteed?

Any open time to pick up extra trips?

Deciding between C5 and 135 operator in the area with great pay but awful training contract.

Thanks, any info will be helpful.

P.S. I am new to 121/135 flying.

flydiamond
03-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Hey all,

what are the schedules like at C5 including reserve time. Are there many trips of 1-3 day length?

Deciding between C5 and 135 operator in the area with great pay but awful training contract.

Have you considered Endeavor, Envoy or Republic living in NYC? Quality of life, pays and career progression is better all around at those three.

Saucy Dingo
03-07-2018, 09:30 AM
Hey all,

P.S. I am new to 121/135 flying.You will be on reserve as long as you are at commutair. Line holders are placed on reserve all the time. C5 has an awful contract too, so you'd be losing out on pay AND contract if you came. Trips are usually 3-6 days, but I've been extended up to 7 days. I would highly recommend pursuing other options in EWR and NY, like Republic or Endeavor. Reserve is fairly short in EWR/NY everywhere, but they have better schedules, staffing, pay, and work rules than commutair.

For the record I know a lot of people coming out of 135 flying that much prefer airline schedules versus being on-call all the time. Good luck.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Hey all,

I live within one hour of EWR and had the same thought you did. After one year of being continually beat down by CommutAir, there was no option except to leave. Extended to seven days? Iíve been extended to 15 straight days on the road... that is not an exaggeration. I even explained that my father-in-law was in the hospital, and I was given no relief. They will tell you they are family friendly, they are far from it. You will hear from cheerleaders here, telling you how great it is to get your time and move on. All I can say is good luck with that if you choose to believe them. The fact is that most pilots leave CommutAir for other regional airlines.

Others on this forum will tell you that Iím just bitter. Youre dang right I am bitter.. I spent over eight months in training, then once I was on the line I was extended every single month into the days off. There is absolutely no contract. And what little contract there is, you can expect they will violate it. Good luck grieving that with the union. I should know, I was on the grievance committee. Donít give me wrong, they tried to help, but itís hard to help and there is little contract to actually enforce.

The company is badly understaffed, and they simply cannot keep up with attrition. They lag behind every other regional in the area in regards to contract rules. They will try to sell the career path program, but I wouldnít buy into that if I were you.

There are 1 to 3 day trips, but itís almost a moot point, because you will be extended and remain out for longer. The only thing that I can tell you is that you will credit over 75 hours, and you may have the ability to pick up open time. If those are positives, because youíre the only ones that I can tell you. There is absolutely no reason not to try and get on with other New York City area regionals, to include endeavor, envoy, and Piedmont.

Best of luck in your search.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Oh, and within one year of my new hire class, 2/3 of the pilots have already left. That should tell you something.

NeoPilott
03-07-2018, 10:38 AM
What about PSA out of PHL? EDV won't look at me as I have 0 121 time and it seems that's who they hire now

DirkDiggler
03-07-2018, 10:40 AM
I am amazed C5 has such a thing as "conditional reserve." You are either a line holder or a reserve. Take today for instance in the sEWeR. At XJT, my flights were canceled so I get to stay home. There is no let me report and go on sit airport reserve at XJT. But this is a reason (among many others) why XJT is dying. Our scheduling section is longer than many contracts entirely.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 11:08 AM
I am amazed C5 has such a thing as "conditional reserve." You are either a line holder or a reserve. Take today for instance in the sEWeR. At XJT, my flights were canceled so I get to stay home. There is no let me report and go on sit airport reserve at XJT. But this is a reason (among many others) why XJT is dying. Our scheduling section is longer than many contracts entirely.

It IS amazing. Youíll hear cheerleaders ( or those with Stockholm syndrome) say that this is normal and industry standard.
No. It isnít. Doesnít happen at Air Wisconsin, Piedmont, Endeavor, Envoy... you are a LINEHOLDER. If your line is canceled you are NOT suddenly a reserve sitting airport reserve for six hours.

And for th record, C5 doesnít actually have ďconditional reserveĒ. Itís not in the contract. Scheduling just made it up because there is nothing saying it doesnít exist either. They changed the name of it for a while to ďcontractual reserveĒ. Some pilots flat out refuse it and just go home. Good luck doing that on probation or if youíre not a favored one. It completely bass ackwards.

Avi8tor1016
03-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Researching and interviewing with the regionals. Spoke to 2 recruiters that said different things:
#1 $10,000 retention bonus once I upgrade to captain and I am Able to sit long call reserve
#2 $1300 quarterly retention bonus once I upgrade to captain and CommutAir doesnít have a long call reserve

Also, I saw a social media post about a sponsored happy hour for pilots in Newark. I thought it was odd and almost unprofessional or unethical for an airline to advertise drinking for its crew members. I havenít seen another airline do this before.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Researching and interviewing with the regionals. Spoke to 2 recruiters that said different things:
#1 $10,000 retention bonus once I upgrade to captain and I am Able to sit long call reserve
#2 $1300 quarterly retention bonus once I upgrade to captain and CommutAir doesnít have a long call reserve

Also, I saw a social media post about a sponsored happy hour for pilots in Newark. I thought it was odd and almost unprofessional or unethical for an airline to advertise drinking for its crew members. I havenít seen another airline do this before.

#2 is accurate. There is no LCR. There is BARELY short call. Itís 75% airport reserve.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 11:58 AM
It IS amazing. Youíll hear cheerleaders ( or those with Stockholm syndrome) say that this is normal and industry standard.
No. It isnít. Doesnít happen at Air Wisconsin, Piedmont, Endeavor, Envoy... you are a LINEHOLDER. If your line is canceled you are NOT suddenly a reserve sitting airport reserve for six hours.

And for th record, C5 doesnít actually have ďconditional reserveĒ. Itís not in the contract. Scheduling just made it up because there is nothing saying it doesnít exist either. They changed the name of it for a while to ďcontractual reserveĒ. Some pilots flat out refuse it and just go home. Good luck doing that on probation or if youíre not a favored one. It completely bass ackwards.

Priceless, calling your former co-workers/flight crews cheerleaders with stockholm syndrome. Very professional. You are your worst enemy.

For the record, no one touted that was industry standard. :rolleyes:

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Priceless, calling your former co-workers/flight crews cheerleaders with stockholm syndrome. Very professional. You are your worst enemy.

All of them? Certainly not.
Some of them? Absolutely.
There are many pilots at C5 who simply have no idea what the rest of the industry is like.
There are also many who I loved flying with and spending time on layovers with.

I call it like it is. Saying some people that work there are cheerleaders despite terrible working conditions says nothing to my professionalism.
I'm here to tell people facts to make informed decisions.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Others on this forum will tell you that Iím just bitter. Youre dang right I am bitter.. I spent over eight months in training, then once I was on the line I was extended every single month into the days off. There is absolutely no contract....

You are a victim of what is known as PTSD when sh** had hit the fan in that period for CommutAir. And now that you admit to it, that's the first step towards recovery. You are now considered curable and I wish you well in your recovery ;)

Hey we are 3 out of 8 on the performance, not 8 outta 8 anymore....annnndd go.... :rolleyes:

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 12:11 PM
All of them? Certainly not.
Some of them? Absolutely.
There are many pilots at C5 who simply have no idea what the rest of the industry is like.
There are also many who I loved flying with and spending time on layovers with.

I call it like it is. Saying some people that work there are cheerleaders despite terrible working conditions says nothing to my professionalism.
I'm here to tell people facts to make informed decisions.

Tell me, if you give facts....there has been alot of positive things that happened over the year, (you know, other than the negatives) name several. Because you are here to give facts, can't be bias with facts if you're just giving facts right?

All we are seeing you type is negative stuff, it certainly can't all be bad right? :rolleyes:

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 12:12 PM
You are a victim of what is know as PTSD when sh** had hit the fan in that period for CommutAir. And now that you admit to it, that's the first step towards recovery. You are now considered curable and I wish you well in your recovery ;)

Hey we are 3 out of 8 on the performance, not 8 outta 8 anymore :rolleyes:

People are still being constantly extended. Days off are not honored.
Still not enough coverage. Pay is lacking. Still no decent contract language. Most importantly, morale is still bad because the company isn't holding up anything it was supposed to. How many airplanes are in ALB right now not flying?

It's really unfortunate. I had high hopes. I had no idea how bad it was actually going to be.

There is still A LOT that needs fixing.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Tell me, if you give facts....there has been alot of positive things that happened over the year, (you know, other than the negatives) name several. Because you are here to give facts, can't be bias with facts if you're just giving facts right?

All we are seeing you type is negative stuff, it certainly can't all be bad right? :rolleyes:

Positives?

Increase in pay for FOs to $55/hr second year pay. However, it is NOT CAPTAIN PAY. That pay scale doesn't even exist anymore. That's kind of positive.

Better performance overall. The operation has smoothed out a bit. I've said this in several posts, mostly last year.

You can get away with wearing pretty much whatever you want. Ankle socks with dress shoes? Sure. Wrinkled shirt? Sure. North Face jacket? Sure. I've seen it all at C5 and no one said a thing. Not remotely professional, but if that's your thing, it's great.

The CPP is better than nothing. It's worse than AA wholly-owns, by a lot, but it's something.

There ya go.

Avi8tor1016
03-07-2018, 12:17 PM
#2 is accurate. There is no LCR. There is BARELY short call. Itís 75% airport reserve.

Thank you PotatoChip for the information. I have an interview scheduled with #1. On her signature says ďsenior pilot recruiterĒ. It doesnít seem she knows what she is talking about. She must not be a pilot and doesnít know the industry well. #1 said sheís been with the company almost 2 years. I will request to interview with #2, hopefully her information stands true. Or if anyone has a recommendation who to speak with.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Thank you PotatoChip for the information. I have an interview scheduled with #1. On her signature says “senior pilot recruiter”. It doesn’t seem she knows what she is talking about. She must not be a pilot and doesn’t know the industry well. #1 said she’s been with the company almost 2 years. I will request to interview with #2, hopefully her information stands true. Or if anyone has a recommendation who to speak with.

There are some recruiters who know a bit, and some who know next to nothing. I won't post names on here, and my information on folks in recruiting is out of date, just take everything with a grain of salt and remember they need you more than you need them. They are selling to you. They have quotas. And that is true of every regional airline, though some sell harder than others.

If you want more information, feel free to PM.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Positives?

Increase in pay for FOs to $55/hr second year pay. However, it is NOT CAPTAIN PAY. That pay scale doesn't even exist anymore. That's kind of positive.

Better performance overall. The operation has smoothed out a bit. I've said this in several posts, mostly last year.

You can get away with wearing pretty much whatever you want. Ankle socks with dress shoes? Sure. Wrinkled shirt? Sure. North Face jacket? Sure. I've seen it all at C5 and no one said a thing. Not remotely professional, but if that's your thing, it's great.

The CPP is better than nothing. It's worse than AA wholly-owns, by a lot, but it's something.

There ya go.

See you proved my point, and that's why I can't fully respect your posts. Your facts are negatively baised, which makes them more of an opinion than 100% facts. It's like someone is saying "I am sorry BUT...". They are not really sorry. You are trying to list the positives while shooting them down in the same breath. Smh

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 12:25 PM
There are some recruiters who know a bit, and some who know next to nothing. I won't post names on here, and my information on folks in recruiting is out of date, just take everything with a grain of salt and remember they need you more than you need them. They are selling to you. They have quotas. And that is true of every regional airline, though some sell harder than others.

If you want more information, feel free to PM.

"Sorry but" everything you knew is out of date.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 12:25 PM
See you proved my point, and that's why I can't fully respect your posts. Your facts are negatively baised, which makes them more of an opinion than 100% facts. It's like someone is saying "I am sorry BUT...". They are not really sorry. You are trying to list the positives while shooting them down in the same breath. Smh

None of those are opinions.

Unless you think an un-ironed shirt with ankle socks and a backpack is professional.

$55/hr is not captain pay. Fact.

CPP is not as good as AA flow. Fact.

Wearing anything you want... well, take it however you like.
The hat is optional, and almost no one wears it. That makes some people happy.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 12:27 PM
"Sorry but" everything you knew is out of date.

Really?
I literally left within the past four months.
And again, I still speak with many friends there that don't post here.
Is DF still CP? AK still ACP? JC still Director?
Then not much has changed in four months.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 12:31 PM
All I am saying hot potato, if you are going to tout that all you are doing is providing facts.....then provide facts. Take emotions out of it. Give the goodies and the bads, not just your emotionally filled opinion to fulfil your agenda of driving folks away. You are no better than the few "cheerleaders" trying to get folks to come. You're a cheerleader too, but with the opposed agenda.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 12:35 PM
All I am saying hot potato, if you are going to tout that all you are doing is providing facts.....then provide facts. Take emotions out of it. Give the goodies and the bads, not just your emotionally filled opinion to fulfil your agenda of driving folks away. You are no better than the few "cheerleaders" trying to get folks to come. You're a cheerleader too, but with the opposed agenda.

Iím reporting exactly what I saw there.
If there was more good to report, I would!!
Look at my post history from last year. When good things happened, I posted it and defended the company. The fact remains that I can in no way recommend people to work there with all the other opportunities available.
Do I miss The Desmond? Yes, a little bit.
Do I miss the Pear agree in STL, One of the worst hotels Iíve ever stayed in while working at the airlines? No.

DirkDiggler
03-07-2018, 12:42 PM
I am amazed people put up with the above mentioned abuse from C5 scheduling. Such as 6 day trips, getting extended into days off, airport reserve as a lineholder. I would tell them to F off, politely of course. What are they going to do. They can't fire everybody.

90% of regional pilots are ball less wonders. As flying 121 is their first big boy job and the majority of them have no plan B or other skills.

Don't put up with abuse. Just say no. You'll still have a job.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 12:50 PM
None of those are opinions.

Unless you think an un-ironed shirt with ankle socks and a backpack is professional.

$55/hr is not captain pay. Fact.

CPP is not as good as AA flow. Fact.

Wearing anything you want... well, take it however you like.
The hat is optional, and almost no one wears it. That makes some people happy.

Totally missed my point so let me spell it out for you. Look at your overall tone when listing "the positives".....your bitterness just can't be subsided for even a minute while you type. You would not be a candidate of credible source.

I understand your bitterness, but I also disagree with you. It's not the same place that caused your PTSD several months ago. Much improvements have been made and there is still more work to do. Contract is not in negotiation yet, its an old contract. Like everything else, contracts get old.

LOA 4 is just a piece of what we are trying to do to make it somewhat livable here and all you are hung up on is that its not Captain pay....but fail to see the difference between being able to get 2nd year FO at $55/hr as opposed to $38. To me that's an initial step in the right direction.

We are now actively tracking the extensions to keep it to a bare minimum and being transparent with those numbers by posting it for pilots to see on .info, which shows that we are aware of that problem and are trying to do something about it. To me, that's a next step in the right direction. Did your friends tell you about that?

I can go on but I don't wanna bore you with positives. If you step back from bitterness you just might see what I mean. Like I said, we have more work to do but we have made good steps in the right direction.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Iím reporting exactly what I saw there.
If there was more good to report, I would!!
Look at my post history from last year. When good things happened, I posted it and defended the company. The fact remains that I can in no way recommend people to work there with all the other opportunities available.
Do I miss The Desmond? Yes, a little bit.
Do I miss the Pear agree in STL, One of the worst hotels Iíve ever stayed in while working at the airlines? No.

We don't put crews at the Pear tree anymore, that has been long changed, they are at the residence inn in STL for training. I tell you man, you are out of date.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 01:06 PM
We don't put crews at the Pear tree anymore, that has been long changed, they are at the residence inn in STL for training. I tell you man, you are out of date.

I know. That changed when I was there. In fact, it changed about four times while I was there. The Residence is a positive move.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Hot potato, have you ever asked yourself why your friends, who you claim are giving you all these negative info, haven't done the same thing you did and move to another regional? Why are they still here if it's so bad? Maybe they are telling you what you want to hear (all the negatives) so they can be compassionate with your feelings?

Edit: Unless you think that they too have stockholm syndrome.

Maybe it's tolerable until they can make a VERTICAL movement and not a LATERAL one. And if you think that you did make a veritcal movement then son, you have been terribly misinformed. You're still at a regional.

Maybe it's not so bad as you painted it. Hmmm. All regionals are hiring, so there is no reason why they wouldn't want to do the same thing as you if the share that same opinion as you. Things just might have changed a little for the better.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Totally missed my point so let me spell it out for you. Look at your overall tone when listing "the positives".....your bitterness just can't be subsided for even a minute while you type. You would not be a candidate of credible source.

I understand your bitterness, but I also disagree with you. It's not the same place that caused your PTSD several months ago. Much improvements have been made and there is still more work to do. Contract is not in negotiation yet, its an old contract. Like everything else, contracts get old.

LOA 4 is just a piece of what we are trying to do to make it somewhat livable here and all you are hung up on is that its not Captain pay....but fail to see the difference between being able to get 2nd year FO at $55/hr as opposed to $38. To me that's an initial step in the right direction.

We are now actively tracking the extensions to keep it to a bare minimum and being transparent with those numbers by posting it for pilots to see on .info, which shows that we are aware of that problem and are trying to do something about it. To me, that's a next step in the right direction. Did your friends tell you about that?

I can go on but I don't wanna bore you with positives. If you step back from bitterness you just might see what I mean. Like I said, we have more work to do but we have made good steps in the right direction.

You're right. Improvements are being made. And you're right, my overall tone isn't positive. CommutAir was so bad, that I can't type positively if I try.

I honestly hope it gets better for the sake of my friends that are still there, and for the sake of the industry. C5 is taking the place of ExpressJet, which is sad. A company with a great contract is being replaced with much cheaper labor. I hope C5 becomes a better place to be for the sake of other United regional partners. Delta chose to heavily invest in Endeavor by agreeing industry leading pay and commutability BY FAR. The ball is in United's hands, and it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

You're right, there are positive trends. I hope they continue. Maybe if they do I can tell someone to take a job there. In the meantime, C5 still needs to figure out how to staff with it's current offerings and management. I believe that will be very difficult. Pity.

PotatoChip
03-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Hot potato, have you ever asked yourself why your friends, who you claim are giving you all these negative info, haven't done the same thing you did and move to another regional? Why are they still here if it's so bad? Maybe they are telling you what you want to hear (all the negatives) so they can be compassionate with your feelings? Maybe it's tolerable until they can make a VERTICAL movement and not a LATERAL one. And if you think that you did make a veritcal movement then son, you have been terribly misinformed. You're still at a regional.

Maybe it's not so bad as you painted it. Hmmm. All regionals are hiring, so there is no reason why they wouldn't want to do the same thing as you if the share that same opinion as you. Things just might have changed a little for the better.

Mostly because they don't want to go through another training pipeline. Who can blame them? I didn't want to either. I honestly didn't know if C5 would last another year the way they were operating. I'm still not convinced.
Most of them are hanging on for a vertical move. Probably smart. I made the best decision FOR ME. They are still miserable while waiting it out. I've gotten phone calls from a couple C5 guys asking about my current employer.

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 01:28 PM
You're right. Improvements are being made. And you're right, my overall tone isn't positive. CommutAir was so bad, that I can't type positively if I try.

I honestly hope it gets better for the sake of my friends that are still there, and for the sake of the industry. C5 is taking the place of ExpressJet, which is sad. A company with a great contract is being replaced with much cheaper labor. I hope C5 becomes a better place to be for the sake of other United regional partners. Delta chose to heavily invest in Endeavor by agreeing industry leading pay and commutability BY FAR. The ball is in United's hands, and it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

You're right, there are positive trends. I hope they continue. Maybe if they do I can tell someone to take a job there. In the meantime, C5 still needs to figure out how to staff with it's current offerings and management. I believe that will be very difficult. Pity.

Keyword: was

And I finally will agree with you on one thing. It was terrible and you felt the full force but
a lot has been improved.

Dash guys transitioned to the jet without having to sit 8 months (like you did) and that was from a dramatic pull down of the dashes but we did it with very few drama. Your 8 months of training did not repeat itself with anyone (both newhires and dash transition). I call that a success and lessons learnt from the past.

And again, we have a lot more work to do. Just be wary of your touted "facts"....they might have strong emotions attached to them that will bend the facts to a specific agenda. And others might not have came from a credible source

MGMTiswatchingU
03-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Mostly because they don't want to go through another training pipeline. Who can blame them? I didn't want to either. I honestly didn't know if C5 would last another year the way they were operating. I'm still not convinced.
Most of them are hanging on for a vertical move. Probably smart. I made the best decision FOR ME. They are still miserable while waiting it out. I've gotten phone calls from a couple C5 guys asking about my current employer.

Potato, let me tell you one thing. No human will be in hot flames and don't immediately jump out especially when they have a lot of ropes to climb out. They just went through ANOTHER TRAINING with the E145 transition for christ sake, why didn't we have a bunch of attrition to lateral movements then? Do me a favor and call their BS lol. No matter what you think their excuses are, the FACT is its still livable for them. So maybe its not so bad maybe it has improved to a tolerable level.

You didn't know we'd last. But we are still here. And honestly I think it will be the same for XJT. They will still be here.

Avi8tor1016
03-09-2018, 08:07 AM
Going over my notes and need more clarification on the retention bonus? Is the retention bonus equal to $10,000/year and just paid out quarterly? Or is it just $1300 quarterly? How do I get the $10,000 retention bonus?

Flyhayes
03-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Going over my notes and need more clarification on the retention bonus? Is the retention bonus equal to $10,000/year and just paid out quarterly? Or is it just $1300 quarterly? How do I get the $10,000 retention bonus?

The current Captain retention bonus is $10,000 paid out quarterly over TWO years.

ElevenEleven
03-21-2018, 03:38 AM
A few new hire questions, I'm sure some have been answered before but what is current:

1. Can anyone who is currently in or recently has been in training say about how much you get each check during training compared to how much each check is while first out on reserve?

2. How and when is the current new-hire bonus distributed?

3. Typically how many days off does a lineholder see a month?

4. How many flight hours can a newhire expect a month on reserve and then how many once holding a line?

hslightnin
03-21-2018, 05:47 AM
A few new hire questions, I'm sure some have been answered before but what is current:

1. Can anyone who is currently in or recently has been in training say about how much you get each check during training compared to how much each check is while first out on reserve?

4. How many flight hours can a newhire expect a month on reserve and then how many once holding a line?

Training is 75 hrs, about $2700/mo. Reserve you typically do pretty well, 80-100 credit a month.
Must be given before indoc. Its outside of the CBA so you need to get it before "Being Hired". Remember to put 25% of this check into savings for taxes.
Avg looks like 15 days
Depends on what base. IAD you'll fly more on reserve. Average line is worth 85-90 credit hours.

Desiflyer
03-21-2018, 06:11 AM
Good info.
Can you also shed some light on the ATP-CTP tax.

Are they doing the 1099 like republic is doing? I have a CJO but didnít accept it yet, still comparing with other offers.

Also, does C5 have AQP?
Who conducts the checkride?

jacburn
03-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Good info.

Are they doing the 1099 like republic is doing? I have a CJO but didnít accept it yet, still comparing with other offers.

Also, does C5 have AQP?

Also, does C5 have AQP? No.

Who conducts the checkride? Our DPE's.
They are our own pilots doing the check rides.

Bgood
03-21-2018, 08:18 AM
Good info.

Also, does C5 have AQP?

I dont think there is any tax on ur end with them paying for ATP CTP, atleast not that I am aware. Yes they do the 1099, so they give u the full $22,100 and u pay the tax on that urself.

NeoPilott
03-21-2018, 08:26 AM
How long is training foot print? Met a guy last week after an interview with PSA who claimed his friend is in training with C5 and already in month 5. Is this valid?

Bgood
03-21-2018, 08:30 AM
How long is training foot print? Met a guy last week after an interview with PSA who claimed his friend is in training with C5 and already in month 5. Is this valid?

Training is roughly 2 months depending on how much days off you get (could be slightly shorter). Currently, if someone is 5 months in then its an unusual situation.

NeoPilott
03-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Training is roughly 2 months depending on how much days off you get (could be slightly shorter). Currently, if someone is 5 months in then its an unusual situation.

Roger. Now I have to decide between PSA and hope for PHL base or go with C5 and know I will get EWR base near my home town..........suggestions? Leaning towards C5.

Bgood
03-21-2018, 08:59 AM
Roger. Now I have to decide between PSA and hope for PHL base or go with C5 and know I will get EWR base near my home town..........suggestions? Leaning towards C5.

What's you end game? Do you have a preferred mainline? Since EWR is near home I guess United?

Desiflyer
03-21-2018, 09:04 AM
Iím thinking c5 also
EWR base guarenteed
Short reserve time
Decent 2nd year pay
And of course the CPP

Iím scheduled for the June class

Speaking of the CPP
So if I understand this correctly ,
Pass Hogan, pass interview, put into a pool if you donít have your 1000TPIC or 3000TT

once you get the hours, you get a class date?

Bgood
03-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Iím thinking c5 also
EWR base guarenteed
Short reserve time
Decent 2nd year pay
And of course the CPP

Speaking of the CPP
Pass Hogan, pass interview, put into a pool if you donít have your 1000TPIC or 3000TT

Once you meet the requirements you go by seniority order. C5 Pilot group is small so the wait won't be as long as a WO(envoy, psa, piedmont) flow.

However, piedmont has a small pilot group too (compare to envoy and psa) so if you had decided to go to one of the WOs you'd flow quicker at piedmont compare to Envoy and PSA.

For United CPP, you have XJT, Air whiskey and CommutAir. CommutAir is the "piedmont" for United CPP.

Desiflyer
03-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Make sense now

Anyway to find out how many people are in the pool That were already offered a job United ?

Bgood
03-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Make sense now

Anyway to find out how many people are in the pool That were already offered a job United ?

The answer to that is in a different thread on our forum that talks about seniority, CPP etc.

Link:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/commutair/110131-seniority-cpp-aircraft-info-23.html

Scroll down on that link and you'll see some useful info.

Edit: I see you already found that thread, so what are you asking exactly?

dead meat
03-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Iím thinking c5 also
EWR base guarenteed
Short reserve time
Decent 2nd year pay
And of course the CPP

Speaking of the CPP

Just to be clear, the 1000TPIC or 3000TT are both C5 requirements. It doesn't matter if you come in with 10,000 TT or 5,000TPIC, you still need to meet the C5 requirements to meet the qualifications for the CPP.

dead meat
03-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Make sense now

That is proprietary information that UA and
C5 are not currently publishing. The current informal estimate is there are 70-80 pilots in the CPP.

Desiflyer
03-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Bgood
Thank you for reply

Dead meat answered what I was looking for.

One more question. Lol
Once you are in a pool that means the CJO doesnít expire ?

dead meat
03-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Bgood
Thank you for reply

Dead meat answered what I was looking for.

One more question. Lol
Once you are in a pool that means the CJO doesnít expire ?
When you say pool, are you talking about the CPP or a job with C5?

Desiflyer
03-21-2018, 04:14 PM
Yes
I am referring to the CPP

dead meat
03-22-2018, 04:11 AM
Yes
I am referring to the CPP

Once you meet all of the requirements of the CPP, you are eligible for a class date with UA. As far as I know, you aren't in a pool. You go to UA whenever they are having classes and your seniority number is called. Right now, as soon as you get your 1000 TPIC you'll be in the next class at UA.

Tooooomkramer
03-22-2018, 04:52 AM
Once you meet all of the requirements of the CPP, you are eligible for a class date with UA. As far as I know, you aren't in a pool. You go to UA whenever they are having classes and your seniority number is called. Right now, as soon as you get your 1000 TPIC you'll be in the next class at UA.

CJO comes when your number is called for class, a couple weeks to a month prior. Once you pass the hogan and interview you are placed in CPP order which differs from the seniority list. Cups are cool.

Desiflyer
03-22-2018, 05:26 AM
I was under the impression that once you pass the hogan and UAL interview, you have a CJO and wait for
You number seniority to be called.

So would it be accurate to say that once you pass your interview its almost a guarenteed job. Itís a waiting game after that?

MGMTiswatchingU
03-22-2018, 06:34 AM
I was under the impression that once you pass the hogan and UAL interview, you have a CJO and wait for

So would it be accurate to say that once you pass your interview its almost a guarenteed job. Itís a waiting game after that?

After passing the interview, you start working up those hours for the 3000 hrs SIC OR 1000 hrs PIC, 4 yr degree etc. Once you have all of those then you become eligible and you wait for a phone call with the CJO. Just as previously mentioned, right now it's not much of a wait since most of the folks in the CPP is still working on the requirements.

jacburn
03-22-2018, 11:38 AM

I will add something that everyone has not mentioned. Once you pass the interview and have the required hours at c5, united does one final review of your employment file at C5 and makes a final decision of employment. In other words you are on a constant probation until you actually start at UA. This is true with all of UAís CPP programs.

ElevenEleven
03-22-2018, 04:40 PM
I will add something that everyone has not mentioned. Once you pass the interview and have the required hours at c5, united does one final review of your employment file at C5 and makes a final decision of employment. In other words you are on a constant probation until you actually start at UA. This is true with all of UAís CPP programs.

So they wouldn't do that at the ones that flow to AA?

jacburn
03-22-2018, 11:08 PM
So they wouldn't do that at the ones that flow to AA?
A flow works differently and if it is a true flow, then no they wouldnít. BUT, I have no idea what is in their contract at AA. The cpp is not a flow.

NeoPilott
03-23-2018, 03:30 AM
When do travel benefits kick in? I am planning to travel back to EWR for the weekends once in a while, is this doable in training?

marshal
03-23-2018, 04:35 AM
When do travel benefits kick in? I am planning to travel back to EWR for the weekends once in a while, is this doable in training?

Travel benefits do not start until you are out of training. You could go home, but you would have to drive.

PotatoChip
03-23-2018, 04:47 AM

This is doable at other airlines. Not CommutAir.

v1valarob
03-23-2018, 05:34 AM
Travel benefits do not start until you are out of training. You could go home, but you would have to drive.

Non-rev benefits kick in shortly after you begin. Jumpseat however is after you finish your PC.

NeoPilott
03-23-2018, 06:04 AM
Non-rev benefits kick in shortly after you begin. Jumpseat however is after you finish your PC.

Sounds great, thank you!

ElevenEleven
03-23-2018, 07:14 AM

So typically no classes over the weekend?

v1valarob
03-23-2018, 07:38 AM
So typically no classes over the weekend?

I would count on having some ground over the weekend but it all depends.

My class fell over a couple of holidays. They got us home and back to enjoy the holidays, however it cost us days off on the weekends that followed.

Montcalm
03-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Travel benefits for flight crew members become usable one week after first day of ground school (three weeks for pass riders).

You can fly home during training on weekends with your benefits, or ask for positive space in the first week.

Classes are from Monday to Friday, but you'll be busy studying over the weekends. They usually give days off between modules (eg. between indoc and systems).

NeoPilott
03-26-2018, 08:09 AM
Thanks for all the information. Will be attending onboarding on the 30th !

Desiflyer
03-27-2018, 04:11 AM
What a does recently hired FO schedule look like out of kewr.
Legs per day?
Time between each flights ?
Minimums/ maximun trip days?

Tooooomkramer
03-27-2018, 08:02 AM
What a does recently hired FO schedule look like out of kewr.
Legs per day?
Time between each flights ?
Minimums/ maximun trip days?

8 hours of Airport Reserve with 11 days off.

MikeC5
03-27-2018, 08:07 AM
8 hours of Airport Reserve with 11 days off.

Haha.
Accurate from all the new hires I've talked to.
Never get short call. Spend 8 hours a day sitting in airport.
A new hire today will be lucky to get off reserve if they can't hire.
I'm tired of getting beat down.

c402fr8er
03-27-2018, 09:20 AM
Haha.
Accurate from all the new hires I've talked to.
Never get short call. Spend 8 hours a day sitting in airport.
A new hire today will be lucky to get off reserve if they can't hire.
I'm tired of getting beat down.

Junior line holder is 10/27 hire.

Based on our training footprint, they got off IOE in January most likely. They have 50 pilots beneath them as of the March seniority list.

So, two, three months of reserve as an FO maybe?

Desiflyer
03-27-2018, 06:01 PM
What is short call?

v1valarob
03-28-2018, 05:27 AM
What is short call?

Your guess is as good as any here at C5.

But for real... as a new FO, I get airport standby every single day. However I am used every single day. In 2 months of reserve I've only had maybe 3 days where I was not put on a flight, but 2 of those were during a snow storm and most flights were canceled anyway.

In February I flew 54 hours, and credited 86 hours.

In March Ill fly closer to 80 hours and break 100 hours in credit.

Being a commuter while on reserver here is pretty rough, but I would expect to be on reserve for only 3 - 4 months if based out of EWR. Once you get a line the quality of life increases by a good amount.

NeoPilott
03-28-2018, 05:48 AM
Your guess is as good as any here at C5.

But for real... as a new FO, I get airport standby every single day. However I am used every single day. In 2 months of reserve I've only had maybe 3 days where I was not put on a flight, but 2 of those were during a snow storm and most flights were canceled anyway.

In February I flew 54 hours, and credited 86 hours.

In March Ill fly closer to 80 hours and break 100 hours in credit.

Being a commuter while on reserver here is pretty rough, but I would expect to be on reserve for only 3 - 4 months if based out of EWR. Once you get a line the quality of life increases by a good amount.

Just out of curiosity, do you mostly do quick turn arounds or 1-2 days while being assigned to a flight on reserve?

v1valarob
03-28-2018, 06:02 AM
Just out of curiosity, do you mostly do quick turn arounds or 1-2 days while being assigned to a flight on reserve?

Its all over the place. But it seems like the past few reserve sits Ill show up on day 1 of 6 and have maybe a round trip on day 1. Then I finish the trip and suddenly I have flying every single day. I know the current trip that got put on me is due to a sick call.

Desiflyer
03-28-2018, 07:23 AM
Being used everyday on reserve sounds good to me.

Desiflyer
03-28-2018, 10:23 AM
How does OT work?
1.5x after 75 hours guarentee?

JediCheese
03-28-2018, 10:29 AM
How does OT work?
1.5x after 75 hours guarentee?

Extensions are paid at 150%. You can also pick up for cash (at a percentage - 100%, 150%, 200%, or 300%).

There are also some clauses where if your time goes beyond your release time on reserve, you'll get 150%.

Normally you'll credit 100 hours of pay. If you want to work hard and the company is looking for pilots, you can credit more.

Desiflyer
03-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Iím still trying to learn the lingo; credit vs block, short vs long call reserve, etc etc

What does that exactly mean when you say for ďcashĒ?
Do they give you a separate check for the extra trips you picked up?

rswitz
03-28-2018, 11:55 AM
Anyone have any idea how much to expect in taxes on the 22k signing bonus? Has anyone handled paying taxes on it? Should I pay in advance as to avoid penalties? State of PA.

jacburn
03-28-2018, 01:03 PM
Anyone have any idea how much to expect in taxes on the 22k signing bonus? Has anyone handled paying taxes on it? Should I pay in advance as to avoid penalties? State of PA.

Depends on your tax bracket. I put 1/3 away for the taxes. It covered what I had to pay in.

JediCheese
03-28-2018, 01:31 PM
Iím still trying to learn the lingo; credit vs block, short vs long call reserve, etc etc

What does that exactly mean when you say for ďcashĒ?
Do they give you a separate check for the extra trips you picked up?
You get paid twice a month.

Pickups for cash are paid on your next paycheck and are paid on top of your guarantee. Anything over min guarantee is paid on the 2nd paycheck of the month (say your line is worth 80 hours, our min guarantee is 75 hours. You get 37.5 hours on the first paycheck and the 2nd paycheck is worth the balance).

Desiflyer
03-28-2018, 02:21 PM
jedi

Thank you
That makes sense

RJFly
03-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Any update on electronic charts and manual (iPad)?

MGMTiswatchingU
03-29-2018, 03:40 PM
Any update on electronic charts and manual (iPad)?

By summer this year

Desiflyer
03-30-2018, 05:21 AM
Any tips/advice on getting familiar with the emb145XR ahead of time.

Apps, software, books?

jacburn
03-30-2018, 05:35 AM
Any tips/advice on getting familiar with the emb145XR ahead of time.

Apps, software, books?

You should get a packet when you onboard. Just study whatís in the packet.

Desiflyer
03-30-2018, 06:38 AM
Cool, thanks

They told me that Iím still 200 hours short so they cannot do the onboarding yet. Thought I may get a head start

Ozflyer
04-02-2019, 01:33 PM
Can anyone help me with the training and what to expect from the first day?
Does C5 provide uniform for pilots ?

v1valarob
04-03-2019, 04:50 AM

Week 1 - Indoc
Week 2 - 4 - Systems
Week 5 - Systems Integration
Week 6 - Orals (if you dont need the sim time prior to taking the checkride)
Week 7 - 10 - GFS / SIM

You pay for uniforms, but you are also given a stipend per paycheck.

EFBs are handed out day 1 as they have all your manuals that you'll need on day 1. New hires are currently not issued paper manuals.

The planes do have 3 DC headsets, but I would advise planning on having your own.

JediCheese
04-03-2019, 07:30 AM
You pay for uniforms, but you are also given a stipend per paycheck.
You also get a $600 loan from the company that is repaid from your first two years of stipends.

The planes do have 3 DC headsets, but I would advise planning on having your own.
We're required to have a headset. I don't think anyone ever checks and on the line it's common for many to just use the ships sets.

If anything, I'd be worried about your checkride in the sim if the FAA shows up and you're required to use headsets.

v1valarob
04-07-2019, 09:16 AM

The class that started 3/4 has just finished ground school. They are averaging about 2.5 weeks off before starting GFS / SIM. So they are looking at around 90 days from start to completing the PC before heading to IOE.

Gbrown18
04-08-2019, 05:13 AM
Iím sorry if this has been addressed but I couldnít find it. Can someone tell me what the average take home pay is for a new fo at commutair with per diem included? Thanks

corporategypsy
04-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Iím sorry if this has been addressed but I couldnít find it. Can someone tell me what the average take home pay is for a new fo at commutair with per diem included? Thanks

That depends on how much you fly for the per diem, your medical/dental deductions and your tax situation. I would say $400 to 600 in per diem is doable. Avg take home for me was 3600 after deductions.

Gbrown18
04-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Thanks, appreciate the info

md80dc9
04-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Hi

How much earn after tax, with per diem include

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1