Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Swa bna?

Puck Hawg
03-07-2018, 07:36 AM
Been hearing for years that SWA was getting a pilot domicile in BNA. Anyone else hearing this? Had a damper telling me on the employee shuttle that the new BNA remodel features a ďmajor airlineĒ crew room facility.

Could be blowing smoke, but, who knows.

WHACKMASTER
03-07-2018, 10:19 AM
Been hearing for years that SWA was getting a pilot domicile in BNA. Anyone else hearing this? Had a damper telling me on the employee shuttle that the new BNA remodel features a ďmajor airlineĒ crew room facility.

Could be blowing smoke, but, who knows.

Been a rumor for years and years and year. Weíll have a STL & FLL base before we ever have a BNA domicile.

at6d
03-07-2018, 09:32 PM
STL next year.

WHACKMASTER
03-08-2018, 04:48 AM
STL next year.

I donít doubt it, but is that from a specific source or just spitballing?

at6d
03-08-2018, 05:12 AM
Doesnít seem to be spitballing. Conversation I had with a check airman type at the hotel bar a while back included a company email with some planning info. So far, the LAX announcement was accurate. The document stated 500 pilot base by the end of the year.

STL was a point of discussion in the document.

Of course, LAX is based on ETOPS being approved. Next year is a long way away but STL sure seems to be the next target at the moment.

Then again...airline rumors and spitballing go hand in hand!

WHACKMASTER
03-08-2018, 05:59 AM
Doesnít seem to be spitballing. Conversation I had with a check airman type at the hotel bar a while back included a company email with some planning info. So far, the LAX announcement was accurate. The document stated 500 pilot base by the end of the year.

STL was a point of discussion in the document.

Of course, LAX is based on ETOPS being approved. Next year is a long way away but STL sure seems to be the next target at the moment.

Then again...airline rumors and spitballing go hand in hand!

I donít doubt the STL base. Itís definitely the next logical step.

500 pilots in LAX by the end of the year?!

e6bpilot
03-08-2018, 06:33 AM
Zero chance.
LAX just opened. The other bases have lots of room to grow except MDW.
Hotel cost and room availability suck in BNA and we have a lot of overnighting crews there, but opening a base (other than maybe a virtual FA base) wonít happen.

ZapBrannigan
03-08-2018, 10:43 AM
Iím starting a rumor. Fredericton, New Brunswick in the Canadian Maritime will be the new domicile for the Canadian operation and the transatlantic operation for the Max-10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WHACKMASTER
03-08-2018, 02:24 PM
Iím starting a rumor. Fredericton, New Brunswick in the Canadian Maritime will be the new domicile for the Canadian operation and the transatlantic operation for the Max-10.

Too late. I already heard that from a senior check-airman weeks ago.

Twinjetav8r
03-09-2018, 05:24 AM

I put my bid in last week. And bought a new hat. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180309/a79f6dc2f7ff3d098f00b4f9331e551a.jpg

RckyMtHigh
03-09-2018, 06:31 AM
I heard LAX at 500ish a year or so after it opens. So toward the end of 2019.

Rcannioto
03-09-2018, 06:35 AM
LAX will have 500 crewmembers by the end of the year. 100 pilots and 400 fa's.

ROFF
03-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Did someone say Hockey?

Twinjetav8r
03-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Take off you Hoser!

tanker
03-13-2018, 06:59 AM
The rumor of a BNA base has been around since before I got hired in 1994. During my NH training when the VP of Schedule Planning came to talk to us one of the things that he said was that BNA would never be a crew base. His reasoning was that SWA could originate an aircraft on the East Coast and have it in BNA in time to be an originator. Therefore there wouldn't be enough originators for a SWA base. So far for over 23 years he has been correct.

Warhawg01
03-13-2018, 07:13 AM
Isnít BNA one of the top commuter cities in the country? The rumor probably persists on wishful thinking alone. As most do.

at6d
03-13-2018, 07:31 AM
Every airline has this rumor. Looks pretty likely that STL will be next.

e6bpilot
03-13-2018, 08:22 AM
The rumor of a BNA base has been around since before I got hired in 1994. During my NH training when the VP of Schedule Planning came to talk to us one of the things that he said was that BNA would never be a crew base. His reasoning was that SWA could originate an aircraft on the East Coast and have it in BNA in time to be an originator. Therefore there wouldn't be enough originators for a SWA base. So far for over 23 years he has been correct.

BNA has all the right ingredients for a Crew base, but I donít see it happening without significant growth in our flying to/from there.
Hotel costs are some of the highest in the country and we overnight a lot of planes there, but the flying there and pretty much everywhere in the central US has been stagnant. We arenít adding cities or flights there other than piecemeal here and there adding and subtracting.

As for STL, it may as well be a base. The hotel costs there are low, though, so the cost to overnight tons of crews there isnít as high. Itís a great airport for connectors and through flights. I would be interested in moving there if it ever did open.

With the flight attendants ďtestingĒ satellite bases for us, I could see going down that path for either one of those stations.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1