Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Letters of Rec

Bizkit
03-07-2018, 12:59 PM
I'm compiling my list contacts at all the majors and I need some advice on sending a sample Letter of Rec along with my request. In general, do Letters of Rec need to be detailed, or is a general format which states 'good person' & 'good pilot' the way to go? Some of the sample letters of rec I've seen go into detail and re-state what is already in the application. Also, I've heard that any number of recs beyond the minimum does not score you any extra points. Does 4 per airline sound like a reasonable number?

SaltyDog
03-07-2018, 05:00 PM
I'm compiling my list contacts at all the majors and I need some advice on sending a sample Letter of Rec along with my request. In general, do Letters of Rec need to be detailed, or is a general format which states 'good person' & 'good pilot' the way to go? Some of the sample letters of rec I've seen go into detail and re-state what is already in the application. Also, I've heard that any number of recs beyond the minimum does not score you any extra points. Does 4 per airline sound like a reasonable number?

Ones I have written with success for the individual to a few places.
Personal. Should not sound canned/boilerplate or restate resume. Should ideally have one or two examples of why a good candidate for "my" airline/business or "your" airline/business.
Ideally, should be detailed to the airline/business. Part 121 and Fractional have a few different requirements. "He is an extraordinarily professional Captain who takes great pride in customer service and enjoys meeting the high expectations of client owners safely" works for corporate/fractional, 121 " She is an extraordinary professional Captain who understands teamwork at "XYZ" airlines to deliver on customer satisfaction". Not longer than a few paragraphs with invite to contact if can answer further. Spelling and grammar must be correct. A LOR doesn't help if glaring errors are apparent. Details matter. I would offer to write a first draft for the person. Ideally, then a good product that is well informed and written before sending to potential employer.
Best of fortune
SD

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1