Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Schedule Question

Av8r75
03-10-2018, 06:47 PM
Any Republic FOs care to share some examples of what an average line looks like for you in a month? Preferably a regular line and a reserve line please. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mjm8710
03-11-2018, 05:42 PM
2.5 FO here..

With a line anywhere between 14-18 days off a month on average, bidding two and three day trips...sometimes trips are back to pack for 6 day stretches but it's kinda rare. Overall no complaints... I feel like I'm off more than my friends at other companies. I got a line after my first couple months and greatly improved QOL.

With reserve expect 12 days off...after a few months you should be able to hold weekends off at least. When I bid reserve about a year ago on purpose I was hardly used (went 30 days without a call), but I think those days are over from what I'm hearing.

PM if you have any more questions.

Flightcap
03-11-2018, 06:38 PM
I'm an ORD based FO, 2.5 years longevity. I bid around #30 of 80 FOs. I'm a commuter, but I have a really short commute so I can bid two-thirds of the trips in the base. My lines are 16-17 days off with 83ish hours of credit. I've held all weekends off for a year or so. This month I picked up a weekend because it had an overnight in my hometown.

Reserve, as the previous poster said, gets you 12 days off a month. Bid for long stretches if you commute and want to be given out of base reserve (the company puts you up in a hotel in a different base to sit reserve there instead of your actual base). Bid short stretches if you live in base and want to avoid it.

Av8r75
03-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the responses. Just trying to get an idea what the schedules look like. When I flew for the regionals 10 years ago, I was only guaranteed 10 days off and had lines with a 4 day followed by 2 days off, then 3 day followed by an out and back and then 1 day off! Times have definitely changed if you are averaging 14-18 days off a month.

Mjm8710
03-13-2018, 02:03 PM
Yeah those are the averages the past few months. Typically less days off during the summer obviously, usually average 12-14 days off, 15 if Iím lucky.

If youíre looking at other regionals, keep in mind their averages might be totally different. I have a bud at mesa that never gets more than 11 off, and know a few guys at other companies that donít get nearly what I get.

Av8r75
03-13-2018, 04:22 PM
Roger that Mjm...sent you a PM as well.

Crucero
03-13-2018, 07:32 PM
Does Republic have PBS or line bidding?

Thanks in advance!

Random Task
03-13-2018, 11:28 PM
Preferential bidding system

Captain Slow
03-14-2018, 05:22 AM
MCI FO with just over a year on property.... I'm a line holder and average 15 days off a month with around 87hr credit. I bid for trips three days or less, so normally I have a 3on/3off or 3/4 schedule throughout the month. If I bid weekends off I'll get a three day backed up to a two day (mon-fri) normally but there are five day trips available to bid. I can reliably hold weekends off if I need to. The MCI trips are normally only commutable on one end, which seems to be the norm at our other bases as well (blah blah outstations, etc).

When I was reserve in DCA I was commuting, I was able to set my schedule up so that I could do blocks of four to six days at a time pretty easily to minimize the number of times I had to commute.

surfpilot1414
03-18-2018, 06:45 AM
MCI FO with just over a year on property.... I'm a line holder and average 15 days off a month with around 87hr credit. I bid for trips three days or less, so normally I have a 3on/3off or 3/4 schedule throughout the month. If I bid weekends off I'll get a three day backed up to a two day (mon-fri) normally but there are five day trips available to bid. I can reliably hold weekends off if I need to. The MCI trips are normally only commutable on one end, which seems to be the norm at our other bases as well (blah blah outstations, etc).

When I was reserve in DCA I was commuting, I was able to set my schedule up so that I could do blocks of four to six days at a time pretty easily to minimize the number of times I had to commute.
Were you assigned full trips or were you doing out and backs and having to pay for a hotel in the middle of your reserve blocks?

Captain Slow
03-18-2018, 04:53 PM
Were you assigned full trips or were you doing out and backs and having to pay for a hotel in the middle of your reserve blocks?

I had a crashpad in DCA and I'd say half the time I sat around and watched Netflix on the 80" flatscreen in the living room or walked around DC, and half the time I was on a multiple day trip. I only had two day trips in the four months I was at DCA. That's not something I would bet the farm on though. You'll need a pad for reserve plain and simple. Just a matter of for how long. Some people fly a ton and never need it. Others sit. Your mileage may vary, but at least you won't be sitting airport standby like you might at some other places. FWIW my pad cost me $240 a month. I had over a million HHonors points and played the hotel game for a bit but the pad ended up being more convenient.

Random Task
03-18-2018, 06:51 PM
In my experience, PM reserve on DC is multiple-day trips, while AM reserve was often an early morning turn that a commuter had dropped.

FTN616
05-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Can someone here give me a good explanation of how your SAP works? I'm familiar with PBS and Flica. I know with PSA, they can go to 65 hours. I looked on the forums but didn't see anything. Appreciate the help guys.

Palarran
05-06-2018, 10:05 AM
For line holders only. Canít drop below 75 hours. The last 10% or so of flying is not awarded but withheld for SAP. Two rounds; first round is seniority based, second round is first come, first served. Then they build hard and composite lines with the flying left over.

Is that enough info, or do you need more specifics?

FTN616
05-06-2018, 02:12 PM
For line holders only. Canít drop below 75 hours. The last 10% or so of flying is not awarded but withheld for SAP. Two rounds; first round is seniority based, second round is first come, first served. Then they build hard and composite lines with the flying left over.

Is that enough info, or do you need more specifics?

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. Can you more or less usually get to 75 hours if you want and maximize days off or is it a bit of a crapshoot every SAP period?

Palarran
05-07-2018, 09:03 AM
I don't know, as I'm senior enough in my seat/base that I've never needed to use SAP.

TheWeatherman
05-07-2018, 06:24 PM
SAP sucks here at Republic and doesn't work as intended. Bad wording in the contract. You have to be at the right lucky location and have the seniority in order to get any use at all. Otherwise like most people every single request will be denied by the automatic system.

Random Task
05-09-2018, 05:10 PM
SAP sucks here at Republic and doesn't work as intended. Bad wording in the contract. You have to be at the right lucky location and have the seniority in order to get any use at all. Otherwise like most people every single request will be denied by the automatic system.

My 1 sap request (as one of the most junior lineholders) worked out great. But then again DCA has a ****load of reserves. The reserves in base seems to play a large role in whether or not things get approved .

TheWeatherman
05-09-2018, 05:21 PM
My 1 sap request (as one of the most junior lineholders) worked out great. But then again DCA has a ****load of reserves. The reserves in base seems to play a large role in whether or not things get approved .
Yep, DCA is one of the anointed bases by Reverend Bedford.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1