Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : LGA ERJ base

ImPilot I Fly
03-12-2018, 10:42 AM
May 2018. 6 reserve lines.

amcnd
03-12-2018, 11:05 AM
May 2018. 6 reserve lines.

Here we go Street captains on the E175....

hawk21
03-12-2018, 11:21 AM
I knew it was coming. I had time to prepare.
And I still absolutely hate this announcement.

I seriously feel bad for anyone that comes to this company for the west coast bases and gets stuck in LGA on reserve.

poopplop
03-12-2018, 11:42 AM

I seriously feel bad for anyone that comes to this company for the west coast bases and gets stuck in LGA on reserve.Agreed. That's the bad thing about joining a "regional" that has bases on both coasts. First year FOs from Cali will have a tough time with that move/commute.

MVFR
03-12-2018, 11:53 AM
SkyMidwest is moving further east, so so great for west coast people.

amcnd
03-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Talked to a ďhigher upĒ. I see why from a business standpoint they are doing this. Be able to ďreactĒ to ďpartnersí need is the wording they use. The Regional industry is about to have a shakeup.. Majors hiring like crazy. Majors wanting to consolidate there feed, this puts resources out east. Must be a long term commitment to the East Coast for us.. from a pilot group (mostly West Coast vocal guys) itís a head scratcher, and we want more West Coast stuff.... times are changing from the E120 west coast airline!!!

flysooner9
03-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Wonder what will be more junior. CRJ ATL or E175 LGA

peepz
03-12-2018, 01:12 PM

ATL will be.

sn00p
03-12-2018, 01:23 PM

Are you working here yet?

Honestly curious.

Truthanator
03-12-2018, 01:36 PM
On a ski trip a couple weeks ago we flew through SLC. On the taxi we passed the Skywest hangar.
The hangar has a "SkyWest" sign over it that is lighted blue at night, but the "W" is not lit now so at night it reads "Sky est".

Coincidence? Apparently not.

Cefiro
03-12-2018, 01:41 PM
While I am sure everyone wants west coast flying, they gotta go where they get the contracts. Glad to see a LGA base opening if there's any hope of having halfway decent reliability out there. ATL was a mess when there were no reserves around during IROPS.

FloridaLarry
03-12-2018, 02:15 PM
... On the taxi (SLC) we passed the Skywest hangar.
The hangar has a "SkyWest" sign over it that is lighted blue at night, but the "W" is not lit now so at night it reads "Sky est".

Coincidence? Apparently not.
Reminds me of the day when 'Citgo' was called 'Cities Service' (pre-1965) Take out the 'Ser' and the sign read 'Cities Vice.'

Most famous example: The sign appearing to rise above the Green Monster (wall) at Fenway Park in Boston. The Red Sox played ball while others 'played!'

hawk21
03-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Are you working here yet?

Honestly curious.

No he doesnít.

CRJ All Day
03-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Wow, this should be quite the comedy.

flysooner9
03-12-2018, 03:31 PM
No he doesnít.

I have a class date.

sn00p
03-12-2018, 04:41 PM
I have a class date.

Welcome to the circus if you decide to come. :cool:

hawk21
03-12-2018, 04:46 PM
I have a class date.

Well... I hope you enjoy New York this time of year.

flysooner9
03-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Well... I hope you enjoy New York this time of year.

CRJ class unless they change it. Iím figuring ATL or DTW

WesternSkies
03-12-2018, 05:24 PM
We have 4600 pilots. Iím sure we have 12 New Yorkers somewhere in the company.

Either way upgrade time is about to fall on the ERJ. Iím glad our ability to complain has been supplemented by location.

TheFly
03-12-2018, 05:40 PM
We have quite a few east coast commuters in DTW and some in ORD as well. The West in SkyWest means the Western Hemesphere. :p

My goodness, some of you guys are real cry babies. Iím glad I havenít flown with the likes of many of some of you here on APC. :rolleyes:

TenaciousB
03-12-2018, 05:44 PM
The seniority if the base grows would be tempting. The transcontinental commute would not be, unless there was a commuter policy. If the base stays small there are probably a small handful of pilots that would like living in New York.

hawk21
03-12-2018, 06:11 PM
We have 4600 pilots. Iím sure we have 12 New Yorkers somewhere in the company.

Either way upgrade time is about to fall on the ERJ. Iím glad our ability to complain has been supplemented by location.

Every new base starts as a tiny reserve base then explodes. Look at ATL. LGA will need more than 12 pilots.

Mercyful Fate
03-12-2018, 06:17 PM

I seriously feel bad for anyone that comes to this company for the west coast bases and gets stuck in LGA on reserve.

When does the special 900 base open?

WesternSkies
03-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Every new base starts as a tiny reserve base then explodes. Look at ATL. LGA will need more than 12 pilots.

Yeah .

stringandrudder
03-12-2018, 06:38 PM
The seniority if the base grows would be tempting. The transcontinental commute would not be, unless there was a commuter policy. If the base stays small there are probably a small handful of pilots that would like living in New York.

Might want to get some new pay rates for that. 1.5%?

hawk21
03-12-2018, 06:44 PM
When does the special 900 base open?

Those plans are dead my dude. We've already covered this.
Just like the MRJ orders, it was a negotiating tactic for Embraer to give us a discount.

Truthanator
03-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Reminds me of the day when 'Citgo' was called 'Cities Service' (pre-1965) Take out the 'Ser' and the sign read 'Cities Vice.'

Most famous example: The sign appearing to rise above the Green Monster (wall) at Fenway Park in Boston. The Red Sox played ball while others 'played!'

Ha!
I remember my dad showing me an old black and white he took, back in the days he was on the road in sales, of an old roadside SHELL sign by the freeway. It was one of those really tall ones with just the letters. The "S" had fallen.

My dad would show people the photo and say "I've been to HELL and back! Here's the proof!"

TransWorld
03-13-2018, 06:27 AM
Ha!
I remember my dad showing me an old black and white he took, back in the days he was on the road in sales, of an old roadside SHELL sign by the freeway. It was one of those really tall ones with just the letters. The "S" had fallen.

My dad would show people the photo and say "I've been to HELL and back! Here's the proof!"

Didnít know you could come back from there.

Was on vacation in Perth. Saw a tee shirt, ĎPerth. . .I went to the ends of the earth.Ē That is about as much of truth in advertising as I have seen.

Mercyful Fate
03-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Those plans are dead my dude. We've already covered this.
Just like the MRJ orders, it was a negotiating tactic for Embraer to give us a discount.

You can admit it, there never was a plan. You bit on a false rumor, and claimed a reliable source. So much for your credibility. Besides, it is hilarious.

amcnd
03-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Im surprised at the interest in LGA as a reserve base.. looks like it will be Jr. but enough takers for now. Will it go more senior when it turns into a full blown base?? Interesting times..

VHDSJ
03-14-2018, 08:58 PM
Im surprised at the interest in LGA as a reserve base.. looks like it will be Jr. but enough takers for now. Will it go more senior when it turns into a full blown base?? Interesting times..

I only see 4 FO's and 4 CA's bid for transfers to LGA .. still a couple short,or am I missing something?

peepz
03-14-2018, 09:12 PM
I only see 4 FO's and 4 CA's bid for transfers to LGA .. still a couple short,or am I missing something?

There are still plenty that have interest in upgrading there is what amcnd is saying. Yes there are low transfers but plenty of hungry ERJ FOs willing to head to the big Apple to upgrade.

N1234
03-15-2018, 05:56 AM
There are still plenty that have interest in upgrading there is what amcnd is saying. Yes there are low transfers but plenty of hungry ERJ FOs willing to head to the big Apple to upgrade.

... and it is reserve only now. There will be more interest once there are lines.

Also, you attract local folks that wouldn't have considered SKYW before.

Believe it or not, some folks want to be in DTW, ATL, MSP and ORD. Not everyone is focused on west coast stuff.

SirLurksalot
03-15-2018, 11:08 AM
... and it is reserve only now. There will be more interest once there are lines.

Also, you attract local folks that wouldn't have considered SKYW before.

Believe it or not, some folks want to be in DTW, ATL, MSP and ORD. Not everyone is focused on west coast stuff.

How is it that local folk would be attracted to skywest?

word302
03-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Dude, because EUW time man. /s

N1234
03-15-2018, 01:26 PM

I am sure that there are people living in the Northeast that are attracted to SKYW for whatever reason (stability, reputation, base options etc.) that didn't come here because they wouldn't want to commute. Now they have a local option.

I know that there are alternatives that pay better but it may not be about pay for everyone.

word302
03-15-2018, 01:31 PM
I am sure that there are people living in the Northeast that are attracted to SKYW for whatever reason (stability, reputation, base options etc.) that didn't come here because they wouldn't want to commute. Now they have a local option.

I know that there are alternatives that pay better but it may not be about pay for everyone.

That reputation is quickly dwindling. You can only survive on reputation for so long.

amcnd
03-15-2018, 01:40 PM
That reputation is quickly dwindling. You can only survive on reputation for so long.

Funny all of the 10+ year guys complain about the East Coast growth... Because it effects them!! (Me too) this airline was built on West Coast people... but long run its good for the company. I see why they are doing it.. just watch the regional landscape change over the next 2 years..

N1234
03-15-2018, 03:31 PM
I'd argue that it is better to be with a growing company than the opposite.

I am sure the company would go / does go after west coast growth if and when there are opportunities. Should they not go after growth elsewhere in the US? After all more people live in the Eastern US. SKYW is at a point where it needs to address the entire country.

The bigger issue here is that people feel cheated voting in a sub-par TA for a growth promise. The growth is here just not where people thought / hoped it would be.

Buyer beware when the next TA comes around in the near future .....

TheFly
03-15-2018, 03:50 PM
I believe that SkyWest management saw and sees the writing on the wall and is getting ahead of the curve. Every Regional is in survival mode right now. Iíd rather be on a ship that the bilge pumps are pumping more water out that the ship is taking in...at least for now, thatís SKW.

WesternSkies
03-15-2018, 04:07 PM
LGA will be key in the JetBlue acquisition of OO.

amcnd
03-15-2018, 04:27 PM

I am sure the company would go / does go after west coast growth if and when there are opportunities. Should they not go after growth elsewhere in the US? After all more people live in the Eastern US. SKYW is at a point where it needs to address the entire country.

The bigger issue here is that people feel cheated voting in a sub-par TA for a growth promise. The growth is here just not where people thought / hoped it would be.

We still have 15 AS 175ís for the West Coast and they said 10 out of the 30 DL175SCís are ďanticipatedĒ West Coast

N1234
03-15-2018, 04:58 PM
We still have 15 AS 175ís for the West Coast and they said 10 out of the 30 DL175SCís are ďanticipatedĒ West Coast

anticipated? Where is this coming from?

word302
03-15-2018, 05:02 PM

Yes but can we staff it? Not without a serious pay increase. After TG's email I'm prepared to be underwhelmed.

amcnd
03-15-2018, 05:09 PM
anticipated? Where is this coming from?

Corporate communication..... was a talking point on a conference call..

amcnd
03-15-2018, 05:16 PM
Yes but can we staff it? Not without a serious pay increase. After TG's email I'm prepared to be underwhelmed.

So new E175ís arenít shinny?? Not sure what he ment by not chasing ďthe shiny newest thingĒ...??

surfpilot1414
03-15-2018, 05:33 PM
I am sure that there are people living in the Northeast that are attracted to SKYW for whatever reason (stability, reputation, base options etc.)

I agree with this guy, SKW pilots seem happy (except for the ones on here). Every former OO Pilot I met while throwing bags for mainline said it was a great company and they could have stayed but a better opportunity popped up, so they left. The guys from other regionals always had the same answer about their previous employers ďwell itís a stepping stone and you just try to make it as short as possibleĒ or something along those lines.

word302
03-15-2018, 05:40 PM
So new E175ís arenít shinny?? Not sure what he ment by not chasing ďthe shiny newest thingĒ...??

My guess is he's referring to Endeavor's contract.

threeighteen
03-15-2018, 06:04 PM
LGA will be key in the OO acquisition of JetBlue.

Fixed that for you. ;)

sn00p
03-15-2018, 07:15 PM

In the last RSR it was stated that it was undetermined where the remaining 10 SCs were confirmed, other than they will go somewhere in the NE.

Industry changes on the daily, but that was what was stated in the last RSR. It seems like the only 175s going west are for AS and the SCs are going East.

Not saying you are wrong at all just what was communicated through the RSR.

hawk21
03-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Dude, because EUW time man. /s

They can go to Republic, get the same base and make more money.

We need a significant increase in our pay rates to attract pilots out there.

amcnd
03-15-2018, 07:57 PM
In the last RSR it was stated that it was undetermined where the remaining 10 SCs were confirmed, other than they will go somewhere in the NE.

Industry changes on the daily, but that was what was stated in the last RSR. It seems like the only 175s going west are for AS and the SCs are going East.

Not saying you are wrong at all just what was communicated through the RSR.

Remaining 10? We have only taken 2.... out of the 30. Regardless of the DL birds as Deltas plan changes daily. The AS birds will be West Coast.. Delta has made it very clear they want 3 overlapping regionals... so not sure what to expect. But I would guess will grow East as others grow West..

sn00p
03-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Remaining 10? We have only taken 2.... out of the 30. Regardless of the DL birds as Deltas plan changes daily. The AS birds will be West Coast.. Delta has made it very clear they want 3 overlapping regionals... so not sure what to expect. But I would guess will grow East as others grow West..

You said of 10 of the 30SCs...

It doesnít seem any are going West at all according to the RSR.

amcnd
03-16-2018, 05:47 AM
You said of 10 of the 30SCs...

It doesnít seem any are going West at all according to the RSR.

I went back and read all the RSRís. Nothing definitive in there. The original communications said they plan on 20 of the 30 to be in the NE crewed by ORD.. and the 10 would be west. No mention back then of a LGA base. That came last week. DL doesnít even know where they will all go. We do have some coming for AS. Those will be West...I suspect there not dumb enough to crew all ot them out of LGA. I could see a 3 base crewing of them. LGA/ORD/BNA

rickair7777
03-16-2018, 08:39 AM
If the majors are smart, they'll keep SKW off the east coast. If SGU were smart they'd just say no.

If they put 400 pilots on the east coast, they'll end up having to pay 4,000 pilots the same incentives as the other regionals. Junior access to Western bases are the only thing OO has left going for it.

amcnd
03-16-2018, 08:55 AM
If the majors are smart, they'll keep SKW off the east coast. If SGU were smart they'd just say no.

If they put 400 pilots on the east coast, they'll end up having to pay 4,000 pilots the same incentives as the other regionals. Junior access to Western bases are the only thing OO has left going for it.

Ya. Except they have poured tons of resources into going out there MX bases out east, recruiting ect. Delta made it clear that they will have 3 regionals all overlapping each other. West to East... they needed to secure the future that our partner demands.. do us 10+ year giys like it... not realy. But thats reality

hawk21
03-16-2018, 09:02 AM

SGU is in the business to bring in as much money as possible. If that means securing contracts out east, they'll do it. Which has already happened. It's just a shame it's coming at the expense of west coast shrinking slightly.

amcnd
03-16-2018, 10:25 AM
SGU is in the business to bring in as much money as possible. If that means securing contracts out east, they'll do it. Which has already happened. It's just a shame it's coming at the expense of west coast shrinking slightly.

I agree , but 15 years ago vs now. We have more West Coast based pilot here...

word302
03-16-2018, 10:30 AM

There really hasn't been much junior access to western bases in quite a while. You might be able to slip in as an FO, but you need 4 or 5 years seniority to hold a captain position anywhere out west.

N1234
03-16-2018, 10:31 AM

How is this at the expense of west coast flying? Aren't these things independent of each other?

amcnd
03-16-2018, 11:13 AM
These new Delta 175ís are not at the expense of anything. There ďnewĒ. The issue is the CRJ. Those bases such as DEN/SLC/SFO/SEA have seen a decline in CRJ flying. But a growth of ERJ flying. Seems some pilots hold put on the CRJ are starting to get upset and wished they bid over to the ERJ sooner.. me one of them..

Bartender
03-16-2018, 12:29 PM

Skywest did this to themselves. They could have just let ASA/XJT handle the east coast.

Grab some popcorn. East coast regional ops. are a whole different ball game.

word302
03-16-2018, 01:01 PM
Skywest did this to themselves. They could have just let ASA/XJT handle the east coast.

Lol. These types of posts crack me up. OO has been operating just fine on the East coast for years. We just haven't had bases there until recently. I think we'll be fine in that respect. We get the same comments from QX pilots in the NW. Weather is weather. Busy airports are busy airports. It really ain't that hard.

Bartender
03-16-2018, 01:07 PM
Lol. These types of posts crack me up. OO has been operating just fine on the East coast for years. We just haven't had bases there until recently. I think we'll be fine in that respect. We get the same comments from QX pilots in the NW. Weather is weather. Busy airports are busy airports. It really ain't that hard.

Thatís not what I was referring to. You have to compete more for pilots on the East Coast, especially when you have a NY base.

Your pay and work rules will need to improve significantly.

word302
03-16-2018, 02:08 PM
Thatís not what I was referring to. You have to compete more for pilots on the East Coast, especially when you have a NY base.

Your pay and work rules will need to improve significantly.

Oh I completely agree. They're gonna have to pay up. We need to grow by 500 pilots by the end of the year to staff the planes we have coming. Management is pretty smart. We'll see what they offer.

rickair7777
03-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Oh I completely agree. They're gonna have to pay up. We need to grow by 500 pilots by the end of the year to staff the planes we have coming. Management is pretty smart. We'll see what they offer.

But they'll (probably) have to pony up for the entire pilot group. Probably would have been cheaper to let somebody else have the east coast stuff.

Unless SAPA can work with the company to create a pay/bonus carve-out only for NY pilots.

N1234
03-16-2018, 02:50 PM
Interestingly enough there are 40+ people with a standing bid for LGA CA right now - and that is explicitly LGA not just Any ...

Do they all have the time? Probably not yet but at least on the CA side seems to be sufficient demand.

rickair7777
03-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Interestingly enough there are 40+ people with a standing bid for LGA CA right now - and that is explicitly LGA not just Any ...

Do they all have the time? Probably not yet but at least on the CA side seems to be sufficient demand.

They're already on the seniority escalator, and probably live there.

Once they exhaust that pool it's going to be tougher, especially for newhires who have options (old hires really don't if they want PIC).

word302
03-16-2018, 04:15 PM
But they'll (probably) have to pony up for the entire pilot group. Probably would have been cheaper to let somebody else have the east coast stuff.

Unless SAPA can work with the company to create a pay/bonus carve-out only for NY pilots.

They were going to have to pay up anyway. Shrinkage is about to start.

WesternSkies
03-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Customers decide what they are going to buy.
Business stuff.

zondaracer
03-16-2018, 04:40 PM

Well what if we donít grow by 500 pilots? By my rough public math, we have:
9.7 Pilots per CRJ
13.7 Pilots per E175

After the remaining E175 deliveries, we will have 10.2 Pilots per E175. So if we only hire for attrition, the E175 staffing will still be better than the CRJ. The company front loaded the hiring on the 175.

If attrition outpaces hiring, itís gonna get interesting.

hawk21
03-16-2018, 04:48 PM

This summer is gonna get interesting real quick. So many people bailing for LCCs now.

word302
03-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Well what if we donít grow by 500 pilots? By my rough public math, we have:
9.7 Pilots per CRJ
13.7 Pilots per E175

After the remaining E175 deliveries, we will have 10.2 Pilots per E175. So if we only hire for attrition, the E175 staffing will still be better than the CRJ. The company front loaded the hiring on the 175.

There's 45 more airplanes coming. I think your math might be off a hair. The staffing needs to be higher on the ERJ because the utilization is higher. They fly more hours/day.

zondaracer
03-16-2018, 08:25 PM
There's 45 more airplanes coming. I think your math might be off a hair. The staffing needs to be higher on the ERJ because the utilization is higher. They fly more hours/day.

Some of the planes have already been delivered. 39 E175/E175SC deliveries left. Another SC is on its way right now. But yeah, my numbers are approximate. I used the closest numbers that I had at the moment and it includes all pilots on the seniority list, including guys still in training and leave etc. Also, I donít know exactly how many pilots would be needed on the E175 to equal the staffing situation on the CRJ. Maybe someone could come up with better numbers?

word302
03-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Some of the planes have already been delivered. 39 E175/E175SC deliveries left. Another SC is on its way right now. But yeah, my numbers are approximate. I used the closest numbers that I had at the moment and it includes all pilots on the seniority list, including guys still in training and leave etc. Also, I donít know exactly how many pilots would be needed on the E175 to equal the staffing situation on the CRJ. Maybe someone could come up with better numbers?

Staffing has been 7-8 per seat per plane. I think it's a little lower now.

moflyer
03-16-2018, 08:57 PM
This summer is gonna get interesting real quick. So many people bailing for LCCs now.

Look at the seniority of some of the guys bailing ship for non legacy carriers. I thought I would make SkyWest a career, but after a decade I saw the crumbling QOL.

saxman66
03-17-2018, 11:50 AM
I'd really like to know how big LGA is going to be. Any guesses? Usually the company has offered a hint, such as when ATL opened. I'm actually thinking of bidding LGA because my seniority would be awesome there and it's only a slightly longer commute for me.

word302
03-17-2018, 12:06 PM
I'd really like to know how big LGA is going to be. Any guesses? Usually the company has offered a hint, such as when ATL opened. I'm actually thinking of bidding LGA because my seniority would be awesome there and it's only a slightly longer commute for me.

Word is 60 crews.

calmwinds
03-17-2018, 06:51 PM
Word is 60 crews.

Wow! Even Envoy is having to look for street CAís at LGA. This base will be super junior.

amcnd
03-17-2018, 07:56 PM
Wow! Even Envoy is having to look for street CAís at LGA. This base will be super junior.

Is Envoy doing soft landings? If someone wants E175 street captain and they say have 10 years at ASA they would be at 10 year pay at OO and a $7500 bonus. Envoy is advertising 113k first year?( but heard Envoy just canceled all E45 class tell the fall) And a flow. E145 in NYC.. Endeavor is booked up tell fall. By then more FOís Upgrading... ??... Interesting times!!!

flysooner9
03-18-2018, 04:53 AM
Is Envoy doing soft landings? If someone wants E175 street captain and they say have 10 years at ASA they would be at 10 year pay at OO and a $7500 bonus. Envoy is advertising 113k first year?( but heard Envoy just canceled all E45 class tell the fall) And a flow. E145 in NYC.. Endeavor is booked up tell fall. By then more FOís Upgrading... ??... Interesting times!!!

Classes are not cancelled for those that have 1000 hrs pt 121. Only cancelled for FOís.

amcnd
03-18-2018, 05:08 AM
Classes are not cancelled for those that have 1000 hrs pt 121. Only cancelled for FOís.

How are they running classes with all instructors line bidding for the summer?

N1234
03-18-2018, 06:02 AM
Wow! Even Envoy is having to look for street CA’s at LGA. This base will be super junior.

It will be relatively junior but I don't think they will have a hard time filling CA slots.... just look at the standing bid list. That plus SL 2.0 will make sure that they have sufficient interest.

They also have the option to throttle it by crewing out of ORD. That was the initial plan and will likely be an option depending going forward.

word302
03-18-2018, 03:32 PM
It will be relatively junior but I don't think they will have a hard time filling CA slots.... just look at the standing bid list. That plus SL 2.0 will make sure that they have sufficient interest.

They also have the option to throttle it by crewing out of ORD. That was the initial plan and will likely be an option depending going forward.

Yes but how long before they run out of people with 1000 SIC who are willing to take it?

TheAshtar
03-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Never. Everyday, 1000-2000 FOís (WAG) add 2-6 hours of block. Everyday thereís probably at LEAST one new captain upgrade becoming eligible. There will NEVER be a shortage due to FAR eligibe pilots.

Is offline
03-18-2018, 05:59 PM
Never. Everyday, 1000-2000 FOís (WAG) add 2-6 hours of block. Everyday thereís probably at LEAST one new captain upgrade becoming eligible. There will NEVER be a shortage due to FAR eligibe pilots.

On the last few awards they have went all the way to the last name on the list to fill vacancies.

WesternSkies
03-18-2018, 06:02 PM
A lot of us are bypassing for QOL.

SkyWest now has money to fix any issue that comes up.

flysooner9
03-18-2018, 07:18 PM

Do realize Skywest is hiring street captains right?

word302
03-18-2018, 07:31 PM

Apparently you haven't been paying much attention to CRJ upgrades. The problem will be even worse on the ERJ as those FOs sat reserve much longer and flew much less on reserve as well.

nopantsILS
03-21-2018, 08:03 AM
A lot of us are bypassing for QOL.

SkyWest now has money to fix any issue that comes up.

Until they start forcing upgrades.

nopantsILS
03-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Do realize Skywest is hiring street captains right?

They'll force upgrades or somehow incentivise upgrading if it ever becomes an issue. There is literally no limit to what the company will do to avoid a RAH style meltdown.

To the senior FO's: I wouldn't get too comfortable. You really think management will let a billion dollar company burn to the ground without an "effective use of ALL resources".

WesternSkies
03-21-2018, 08:29 AM
Upgrade classes are full though right?

I am blindly optimistic that they will incentivize over force because that will be two birds one stone.

Regionals are still hiring good people but some of these people need more experience/regency before showing up here. Wash outs and add-sessions costs I think has them reevaluating.

This wasnít a problem a very short time ago.

popNfresh
03-21-2018, 08:40 AM

I am blindly optimistic that they will incentivize over force because that will be two birds one stone.

Regionals are still hiring good people but some of these people need more experience/regency before showing up here. Wash outs and add-sessions costs I think has them reevaluating.

This wasnít a problem a very short time ago.

A few months ago the most junior pilot at Skywest was awarded a CA slot. So Iím guessing the Iím gonna guessing Captain classes arenít totally full.

nopantsILS
03-21-2018, 08:49 AM

This wasn’t a problem a very short time ago.

Didn't TG send out an email begging FO's to upgrade a few months back? I would assume that this, combined with any qualified new hire getting a CA slot, is an indication of upgrade classes having empty seats.

I flew with a guy awhile back, VD called him and asked if he was willing to report to CRJ upgrade school in 2 days. They pulled him from the trip and he went to SLC.

Now add in summer flying, attrition, and 40+ EMB's.....

WesternSkies
03-21-2018, 09:06 AM
All valid points.

In my mind we are all one POTUS tweet away from, "just happy to be here". :)

nopantsILS
03-21-2018, 09:21 AM
haha...

Yeah, I'm in my last week at OO. I could honestly say it was a good-ish place when I started, but now the writing's on the wall. I truly believe staffing will be an issue.

Take a look at the last few weeks, SWA is taking our senior guys left and right. DL, Spirit and Hawaiian are taking FO's (and CA's). United hasn't really started hiring yet. It's going to get bad.

flysooner9
03-21-2018, 09:24 AM
haha...

. I truly believe staffing will be an issue.

This is or will be true for every regional out there in short order.

WesternSkies
03-21-2018, 10:02 AM

Congrats. !

StlLifer
03-21-2018, 08:48 PM
If you look at Skywest pilot numbers you have about 5 crews per plane on the CRJ. Same as Southwest.

If you look at the ERJ-175 there are over 7 crews per airplane. If you add in 45 more planes you have 4.95.

Basically, if SW can just keep up hiring to match attrition they will be fine.

Pilots changing planes is a factor that Southwest does not have.

word302
03-21-2018, 09:16 PM
If you look at Skywest pilot numbers you have about 5 crews per plane on the CRJ. Same as Southwest.

If you look at the ERJ-175 there are over 7 crews per airplane. If you add in 45 more planes you have 4.95.

Basically, if SW can just keep up hiring to match attrition they will be fine.

Pilots changing planes is a factor that Southwest does not have.
Southwest doesnít do stand ups or red eyes. 5 crews per plane is not enough on the ERJ.

TenaciousB
03-22-2018, 04:48 PM
On a side note, I just noticed that they are going to have to update the map background showing the domiciles on Pilot Ľ SkyWest Airlines (http://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/flight-jobs/#tab-27-1).

The current map doesn't cover as far east as LGA. Maybe not thinking big enough back then? :D