Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Hire - E175 vs CRJ

CooperJ
03-14-2018, 11:53 AM
I have read and posted on this subject before...but as dynamic as things seem to be, thought I would try to nail down the current state of the union. I have a Jun class date on the E175...I have been hearing from some folks to plan on under 10 hours a month while on E-reserve, others have said they got much more. I can swap over to the CRJ if I give some heads up, but I'm leaning towards sticking with the E175. I have seen some news on new basing and new jets recently, so just wondering what new hires are actually logging (on both jets) for the first 3 months/6 months?

Thanks for info...I am a retiring USAF non-current pilot with 2,500TT, WWYD?

amcnd
03-14-2018, 11:56 AM
By the time you hit line you will fly more then that.. they ďpre-trainedĒ for the 45 aircaft we take between now and fall.. very agressive schedule.. if you plan on upgrading as fast as you can. You may want to do the CRJ unless you want LGA base.

CooperJ
03-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Copy...I will be moving to DEN and commuting from there. Would hope to end up there after 6-8 months. How many of the new hires will be LGA based? I guess I was planning on MSP/ORD right off the bat.

amcnd
03-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Knowing you want Denver. I would say ERJ. Unless you want to do Aspen CRJ DMA . Only advanced of the CRJnis a COS option.. but you could get involved in training on the ERJ. They are looking for instructors.

Mooneyguy
03-15-2018, 06:18 AM
How long would it be before a new hire could get IAH.
Thatís a crj only base?
Also is iah senior for CA?

amcnd
03-15-2018, 06:39 AM
How long would it be before a new hire could get IAH.
Thatís a crj only base?
Also is iah senior for CA?

Donít come here if you want Houston.. (at the moment) those crews are on pins and needles.. but the last guy to get warded IAH was hired 10/17. So probably just finished IOE.. the bid that just closed 2 FOís weíre awarded IAH.. Houston is very rumor heavy at Mesa. Republic just opened a base. XJT. Who knows...We really shouldnít have a base there. So that may be a sign that we may grow there if the ball drops on one of the other regionals there...

CooperJ
03-15-2018, 07:55 AM
Still no discussion of hours....any 3-6 month FO new hires (CRJ or E175) care to share what they logged since hitting the line?

flight81
03-15-2018, 07:57 AM
Iím coming up on 6 months. Including IOE I have blocked 125 hours. Iím reserve ERJ.

CooperJ
03-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Copy...and thanks again for all the info!

nopantsILS
03-15-2018, 08:31 AM
I would not come here (175) unless you are okay with LGA. Especially starting class (June) on the front side of a big delivery cycle necessitating a new junior base that will be difficult to staff.

WesternSkies
03-15-2018, 10:41 AM
CRJ is easier for older non-current people.
Whether or not this fact applies to you specifically, itís a thing.

TenaciousB
03-15-2018, 10:48 AM
CRJ is easier for older non-current people.
Whether or not this fact applies to you specifically, itís a thing.

You think so? I have flown both (CRJ being my first jet) and found they were challenging in their own different ways. Do you say this based on the automation of the 175?

WesternSkies
03-15-2018, 04:16 PM
You think so? I have flown both (CRJ being my first jet) and found they were challenging in their own different ways. Do you say this based on the automation of the 175?

Yeah, automation. Some of the older guys bring up how younger guys who haven't experienced a world without personal computers pick up the plane faster. obviously I'm not speaking in absolute terms for everyone.

threeighteen
03-15-2018, 06:37 PM
If DEN is the goal, go CRJ.

ERJ for Denver is fairly senior and if you get it, you won't fly much.

You can also get COS on the CRJ so that opens up another option.

If you go ERJ, plan on commuting to LGA for 6-8 months minimum. Then another 6 months or so in ORD. Then 6 months back on reserve in Denver.

Flymeaway
03-15-2018, 08:20 PM
CRJ FO 4.5 months of reserve. 190 hours.

E6BAV8R
03-23-2018, 04:47 PM
Copy...I will be moving to DEN and commuting from there. Would hope to end up there after 6-8 months. How many of the new hires will be LGA based? I guess I was planning on MSP/ORD right off the bat.

I don't think any new hires are going LGA, yet. If I remember correctly they are trying to get current people to move there and see how many they can get.

CooperJ
03-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Lots of replies and a few PMs...thanks to all that provided their hours/thoughts. Still undecided!

Shifty101
03-28-2018, 01:55 PM
I am looking at making the jump into 121 and have applied to SkyWest because my family lives in the BOI area. I interview soon and looking for some insight, not just HR's input. I know the 175 is based in BOI, how is the commuting on reserve? How long of reserve should I expect? Lastly, how hard is it to get a line in BOI? I know BOI just became a domicile in September of 17 and looking at the seniority on the website, seems junior for FO. The main reason for making the switch from what I am flying now, federal government, to 121, is to get closer to family which is why SkyWest interests me.

Any insight is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

NewGuy01
03-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Expect a few months commuting to ORD or LGA. I would expect BOI in under 6 months. However SLC just got some of the BOI flying so it could take longer. Once you are a line holder in BOI your QOL will be off the charts. Getting there will either be easy or really hard, depending on a number of factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiffer245
04-25-2018, 02:23 PM
When did OO even get ERJís? Serious question.

amcnd
04-25-2018, 03:42 PM
When did OO even get ERJ’s? Serious question.

May 17th 2014 was the first pax flight. Sep of 2103. The officially announced seeking approval to fly the new type.. but i think they worked on it in secret for 6 months..

hawk21
04-26-2018, 09:15 AM
I am looking at making the jump into 121 and have applied to SkyWest because my family lives in the BOI area. I interview soon and looking for some insight, not just HR's input. I know the 175 is based in BOI, how is the commuting on reserve? How long of reserve should I expect? Lastly, how hard is it to get a line in BOI? I know BOI just became a domicile in September of 17 and looking at the seniority on the website, seems junior for FO. The main reason for making the switch from what I am flying now, federal government, to 121, is to get closer to family which is why SkyWest interests me.

Any insight is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Commuting to a maintenance base to sit reserve will suck.

Westcoastpilot5
05-12-2018, 08:23 AM
I am in skywests cadet program, expecting to hit 1500 at the end of the summer. I know people all have different reasons to pick a regional, but flying the ERJ out of SFO (eventually, I know not day 1) is what makes me want to come here, among other things. Iíve been told that SkyWest is currently allowing new pilots to choose between ERJ and CRJ is that correct? (Donít mind waiting for ERJ if class dates are a little further out). Anyone have any insight on if going into fall there will be more CRJ or ERJ classes/ if new hires get a choice? I know there are other west coast options too so just trying to look ahead at what to expect going into fall.

Excargodog
05-12-2018, 08:33 AM
I am in skywests cadet program, expecting to hit 1500 at the end of the summer. I know people all have different reasons to pick a regional, but flying the ERJ out of SFO (eventually, I know not day 1) is what makes me want to come here, among other things. Iíve been told that SkyWest is currently allowing new pilots to choose between ERJ and CRJ is that correct? (Donít mind waiting for ERJ if class dates are a little further out). Anyone have any insight on if going into fall there will be more CRJ or ERJ classes/ if new hires get a choice? I know there are other west coast options too so just trying to look ahead at what to expect going into fall.

Junior people at Skywest are tending to go east a whole lot more than they go west lately, regardless of which jet they fly. And they sit reserve a lot - especially junior people in the ERJ. And their new reserve rules seriously suck.

Do some reading on the Skywest threads for the last six months before you commit yourself to anything. Know what you are getting in to.

amcnd
05-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Junior people at Skywest are tending to go east a whole lot more than they go west lately, regardless of which jet they fly. And they sit reserve a lot - especially junior people in the ERJ. And their new reserve rules seriously suck.

Do some reading on the Skywest threads for the last six months before you commit yourself to anything. Know what you are getting in to.

There is no ďnewĒ reserve rules. Just proffering, and reserve bid in PBS. We have always been in the crapy reserve bucket system.. wish we would go more the way AA does it..

Westcoastpilot5
05-12-2018, 08:51 AM

I have read quite a bit and know that the first 6 months or so may be/ will be reserve Midwest and Iím cool with that. Also know the pay or relationships with majors isnít offered here, where it is elsewhere. At the moment Iím not trying to chase the quickest upgrade or quickest path to majors. My ultimate goal is to be SFO which seems possible after a handful of months reserve elsewhere....and ultimately canít be offered by other regionals. Iím more currious if I can pick the jet I want in training. I know most will say thatís a dumb question or factor to consider, but Iím just currious. Not the end of the world either way.

amcnd
05-12-2018, 09:34 AM
I have read quite a bit and know that the first 6 months or so may be/ will be reserve Midwest and Iím cool with that. Also know the pay or relationships with majors isnít offered here, where it is elsewhere. At the moment Iím not trying to chase the quickest upgrade or quickest path to majors. My ultimate goal is to be SFO which seems possible after a handful of months reserve elsewhere....and ultimately canít be offered by other regionals. Iím more currious if I can pick the jet I want in training. I know most will say thatís a dumb question or factor to consider, but Iím just currious. Not the end of the world either way.

If you want SFO. Go ERJ. Better flying then the CRJ there.

Westcoastpilot5
05-12-2018, 09:53 AM
If you want SFO. Go ERJ. Better flying then the CRJ there.

And as a new hire they give you the choice? Or pick for you?

zondaracer
05-12-2018, 10:18 AM
And as a new hire they give you the choice? Or pick for you?

You choose before starting class.

zondaracer
05-12-2018, 10:20 AM

Do you work here? Your posting history suggests that you donít and that you just like being negative on every airline thread.

Excargodog
05-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Your posting history suggests ... that you just like being negative on every airline thread.

Not at all. I was in fact referring the individual back to the postings of others on the Skywest threads who DO work at Skywest. If you disagree that Skywest's reserve policies suck, I'd be glad to hear what you have to say about them, as I'm sure, Westcoastpilot5 would. Listening to multiple and contrasting points of view can be very helpful for making career decisions.

For that matter, perhaps you could give the man an estimate of how long it would take him to hold a line in SFO as either an FO or Captain?

amcnd
05-12-2018, 11:16 AM
Hopefully reserve is only 2-3 months with the fast advancements we have right now.. but some of us did years of it... If you canít handle a few months of reserve at a Airline, your in the wrong career...

flight81
05-12-2018, 01:02 PM
It took me 5 months to get a composite line on the 175. Just to give you some perspective on a timeline.

Excargodog
05-12-2018, 01:19 PM
It took me 5 months to get a composite line on the 175. Just to give you some perspective on a timeline.

Was that at SFO?

Nordopilot
05-12-2018, 01:23 PM
Something to think about is our pilot attrition numbers + 30ish more ERJ deliveries on an aggressive schedule this year. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about not flying. You'll be flying more than you wanted even on the "mainline jet" soon enough.

Utah
05-12-2018, 02:02 PM
They're also not letting CRJ FOs transition to the right seat of the ERJ because staffing is in such a bad situation. Therefore, new hires, or those with very little seniority, are getting west coast bases while guys with years of seniority are stuck in the CRJ.

zondaracer
05-12-2018, 02:07 PM
They're also not letting CRJ FOs transition to the right seat of the ERJ because staffing is in such a bad situation. Therefore, new hires, or those with very little seniority, are getting west coast bases while guys with years of seniority are stuck in the CRJ.

Do you mean guys who have a seat lock canít transition? Because everyone I know without a seatlock has been able to switch to the E175.

N1234
05-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Do you mean guys who have a seat lock canít transition? Because everyone I know without a seatlock has been able to switch to the E175.

People did get by-passed for CRJ to ERJ transition. But all of them got their base (incl. west coast) guaranteed.

Utah
05-12-2018, 02:38 PM

There a bunch of CRJ FOs in SLC that have bids in for the 175 SLC that can't transition because of staffing. They aren't seat locked, but they are being pay protected.. supposedly they might get a class in the fall. Meanwhile FOs junior to everyone else in SLC are getting transferred in.

To make matters worse the CRJ flying in SLC is getting cut way back and the shorter trips have almost disappeared. Pilots that have flown nothing but locals and split duties for years are now flying four day trips...

word302
05-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Not at all. I was in fact referring the individual back to the postings of others on the Skywest threads who DO work at Skywest. If you disagree that Skywest's reserve policies suck, I'd be glad to hear what you have to say about them, as I'm sure, Westcoastpilot5 would. Listening to multiple and contrasting points of view can be very helpful for making career decisions.

For that matter, perhaps you could give the man an estimate of how long it would take him to hold a line in SFO as either an FO or Captain?

Anyone who uses this forum to make life choices deserves the pain and suffering that they get.

Excargodog
05-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Anyone who uses this forum to make life choices deserves the pain and suffering that they get.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/skywest/93589-skywest-v2-0-a-1098.html#post2592692

NewGuy01
05-15-2018, 09:48 AM
ERJ FO:

If it helps I was hired January of 2017. Finished March. ORD based on reserve from April-June. SFO based on reserve until January. Of course I lived in base and picked long call. I probably could have held a line in October or November but long call was pretty amazing, if you don't want to work. I flew 15 days from September-November. Line holder from December to April when I left SkyWest.

April I had 17 days off on my schedule but only worked the first few days.

I'm just guessing that things are already quite different and my experience will not apply. Mostly in the realm of getting based out west in just a few months. I hear of some waiting 9 months or more to get back out west.

Based on my observations while at SKYW: CRJ = more flying lower QOL. ERJ = less flying, more time on reserve and a higher quality of life.

Disclaimer: I also avoided the whole reserve proffering issue which honestly sounds like a nightmare.

CooperJ
05-15-2018, 09:37 PM
Thanks...good info!

JoeMerchant
05-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Thanks...good info!

Just be careful going to work for a scab operation that has shut down two ALPA carriers....Do you really want that on your resume?

amcnd
05-16-2018, 04:50 AM
Just be careful going to work for a scab operation that has shut down two ALPA carriers....Do you really want that on your resume?

Wow!! Cranky. They have not shut down anyone... have they shrunk and shed non profitable aircraft and contracts. Yes. That has even happened on the SKW side. Over the years.. 90 pilots a month is proff that it doesnít matter that SkyWest is on your resume. May even help at certain Majors...

wrxpilot
05-16-2018, 09:13 AM

Weird, because the legacy I just interviewed and got hired at told me they really like hiring SkyWest guys. They are an ALPA carrier too.

JKSees
05-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Yeah me too!!!

Weird, because the legacy I just interviewed and got hired at told me they really like hiring SkyWest guys. They are an ALPA carrier too.

Stlcards
06-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Anyone have any insights on ATL as a domicile? Is it available/doable out of training?

Bravix
06-05-2018, 04:25 AM

Scab operation? Exactly what struck work have we been flying?

Lots of complaints I could list in regards to SkyWest, but it definitely isn't a scab operation.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1