Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Self Study training

stfoley23
03-15-2018, 10:34 PM
Anyone currently in training that could advise how the self study program is? Seems crazy to me that they would have us teach ourselves the systems of an aircraft much more complex than the pistons we're used to. Thank god I had a transport category aircraft systems class in college on the 737

TheWeatherman
03-16-2018, 05:47 AM
didn't we just discuss it in the classes thread? other then the fact it is a horrible money saving idea that will dramatically increase failure rate, I don't think there is a class that has went through the process yet to give you the deets

atpcliff
03-16-2018, 06:00 AM
This is becoming quite common now throughout the industry. Doing online self-study, can be WAY better than a classroom setting, or WAY worse. It depends on the software and the classroom instructor/material/presentation.

At my airline we're on our second version of online training, and it is MUCH better than the first generation, and pretty good overall. One thing that is nice for recurrent training is that they have spread the annual training into four blocks, due quarterly. We can also download the training modules and do them off-line, if we want to.

Random Task
03-16-2018, 09:01 AM
This is becoming quite common now throughout the industry. Doing online self-study, can be WAY better than a classroom setting, or WAY worse. It depends on the software and the classroom instructor/material/presentation.

At my airline we're on our second version of online training, and it is MUCH better than the first generation, and pretty good overall. One thing that is nice for recurrent training is that they have spread the annual training into four blocks, due quarterly. We can also download the training modules and do them off-line, if we want to.

AQP recurrent and new-hire training for someone who hasn't flown anything bigger than a Seminole are completely different

sflpilot
03-17-2018, 03:45 PM
AQP recurrent and new-hire training for someone who hasn't flown anything bigger than a Seminole are completely different

Itís weird they would do this under the current staffing situation. If the failure rate goes up significantly it could hurt recruitment. People wonít want to take the high risk of a 121 failure on pria.

ORD170
03-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Anyone currently in training that could advise how the self study program is? Seems crazy to me that they would have us teach ourselves the systems of an aircraft much more complex than the pistons we're used to. Thank god I had a transport category aircraft systems class in college on the 737

Compass has done it for years, so I assume they arenít having much of a problem. Iím sure they will give you the opportunity to discuss with a instructor if needed. The 170 is a crazy simple airplane, so you will get to know the acronym PFM. This is just another way for them to save money Iím sure.

Captain Slow
03-18-2018, 04:44 PM
If I'm really honest I would have preferred systems to be self study when I went through. You haven't experienced classroom pain until you've experienced DW talking about how he had to reset the fuel filter bypass pins on an A7 after it trapped on the Forrestal, six times in the same week of class. I love old war stories but its not really efficient for a learning environment.

The E170 is a stupid easy airplane. I studied harder for the Baron on my AMEL than I did for this type. Granted it was my third jet, but seriously, it's easier than any heavy pressurized piston twin or a KingAir. If you watch the videos and pay attention and take notes on things to ask questions about, it's gravy. Just requires some self application.

BKM76
03-23-2018, 02:13 PM
It has its ups and downs, on the down side it’s harder to get discussion going about the systems, but you get to spend as much time on each system as you need. You won’t have to spend time on easy systems because others are struggling with it and you can spend extra time on areas you need too.

The downside is that all discussion is done through chat until the week of systems in classroom, but that week brings everything together into scenarios and logic.

If al you do is watch the videos a couple times you’re not going to do well, but if you take notes and think through the sample oral questions and try to figure out what happens in different situations, you’ll be fine.

They actually took the original program from L3/Aerosim and re made it all, so it was pretty well done

Joachim
03-24-2018, 04:16 PM
The legacies and Boeing do it the same way. I like it better than classroom settings. You can go at your own pace but it does require discipline.

v1Brotate
04-19-2018, 04:14 PM
Long time lurker here, thinking about joining Republic in the next couple of months. Any word on how this new at home, self study training program is working out? I was not surprised when they announced this change, as numerous other regional airlines have already implemented a similar training outline. Just curious as to how it is working out for recent new-hires here. Thanks!

JAHawk
04-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Long time lurker here, thinking about joining Republic in the next couple of months. Any word on how this new at home, self study training program is working out? I was not surprised when they announced this change, as numerous other regional airlines have already implemented a similar training outline. Just curious as to how it is working out for recent new-hires here. Thanks!

Itís as awesome as your screen name. In all seriousness, itís way better to study at home, at your own pace, focusing on areas you need more than others vs the forced death by PowerPoint 8-5 in a windowless room.

stfoley23
04-19-2018, 09:21 PM
Itís as awesome as your screen name. In all seriousness, itís way better to study at home, at your own pace, focusing on areas you need more than others vs the forced death by PowerPoint 8-5 in a windowless room.

How does it work exactly? Like how many weeks are you home and how many are you actually in the classroom being lectured?

TheWeatherman
04-20-2018, 06:25 AM

Eh, to each their own. There is no denying that failure rates do go up with the self study.

VASBYT
04-20-2018, 09:06 AM
How does it work exactly? Like how many weeks are you home and how many are you actually in the classroom being lectured?

I heard it is called ETHOS.

https://www.l3cts.com/training-systems/procedure-training/ethos-procedure-training-suite

flyguy727
04-23-2018, 09:31 PM
Anyone have a number for recruiting? I got my app in, but haven't heard anything yet.

MaxQ411
05-05-2018, 11:24 AM

You have two weeks InDoc, followed by two weeks at home with Ethos. You then come back to Indy for one week of systems classroom training and one week of GFS/SIT (Systems Integration Training). My class had 24 people (26 but two dropped out).

Varkguy
05-12-2018, 04:35 AM
We were the first class to get it and I thought it was pretty good. Much better than sitting in a classroom for 8 hours a day watching powerpoint. I even refer back to it once in a while now in IOE. I heard the feedback from our oral evaluation examiners was that we did very well in comparison to the previous classes, so it must be working. It's also a lot nicer to do the learning of systems at home than sitting in STL in a hotel room.

SunnyFL
05-12-2018, 07:13 AM
We were the first class to get it and I thought it was pretty good. Much better than sitting in a classroom for 8 hours a day watching powerpoint. I even refer back to it once in a while now in IOE. I heard the feedback from our oral evaluation examiners was that we did very well in comparison to the previous classes, so it must be working. It's also a lot nicer to do the learning of systems at home than sitting in STL in a hotel room.

I like reading this. I'm still months out from applying but Republic has always been top of my list because of base, contract etc. Hearing how the new training was going to go had me questioning how people who went through liked/disliked it. Been constantly checking for feedback from those who had to go through it.

Thanks for the feedback.

MaxQ411
05-15-2018, 12:12 PM

For the record, since the new self study Ethos based training was instituted, the pass rate at the orals is 100% or pretty close to that. I think it's a great training tool and it is of course supplemented by a week of classroom training after to tie down loose ends. You got to do the work, about 4-6 hours a day for the in home section, otherwise you will struggle. Plenty of help available from classmates and instructors via SLACK. You just gotta ask.

Varkguy
05-20-2018, 10:06 AM
For the record, since the new self study Ethos based training was instituted, the pass rate at the orals is 100% or pretty close to that. I think it's a great training tool and it is of course supplemented by a week of classroom training after to tie down loose ends. You got to do the work, about 4-6 hours a day for the in home section, otherwise you will struggle. Plenty of help available from classmates and instructors via SLACK. You just gotta ask.

I must be a slow learner. I spent 10-12 hours a day at home studying. :)

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1