Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Compass shut down or bough by DAL

friend
03-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Whatís peopleís thought on this?

poorflyer
03-18-2018, 04:10 PM
That you're a OO lurker trying to start drama...

veewan
03-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Why would DL buy Compass when they can lower their total labor cost by moving the planes? Everyone at Compass would have to start at year 1 pay IF they follow the planes.

friend
03-18-2018, 06:48 PM
I donít work for any airlines, was contemplating About applying to compass but if they shut down or are unstable company donít want to waste my time to apply to them

veewan
03-18-2018, 06:53 PM
I donít work for any airlines, was contemplating About applying to compass but if they shut down or are unstable company donít want to waste my time to apply to them

Apply to more than just your top choice. Yes in the current market you can pick where you'd like to go, but it's always nice to have a backup.

It's not a waste of time if it helps you achieve the long term goal.

BobbyLeeSwagger
03-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Coming to compass is like livin life in the fast lane. High risk high reward, but sometimes you lose big (fall16). On the west side, we ride or die.

NeverFlexTO
03-18-2018, 07:23 PM
I think the mods should remove this thread, this is just trolls being trolls

FlytheSky
03-18-2018, 07:24 PM
Coming to compass is like livin life in the fast lane. High risk high reward, but sometimes you lose big (fall16). On the west side, we ride or die.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/Ride_or_Die.jpg

You hoping to spend 10+ years at a regional? Go to Skywest or a wholly owned. You looking to get the quickest upgrade in LAX or PHX? Come to Compass. If things fall through, many other places are offering some wicked fast upgrades brah, and you can just drop in and get pitted. You'll have to get that 1000 hours of 121 time anyways, before you can upgrade so you might as well go big or go home. But that's just my 2 cents.

Excargodog
03-18-2018, 07:34 PM

You are going to be deterred by a troll who doesn't even know how to spell "bought"?

And SO WHAT if DAL bought (or even bough) Compass? I thought the whole idea was to work for a legacy?

friend
03-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Do you really think If compass is boughT by DAL why would they want to keep the American 175 and just return them and worse case situation all compass pilots get furloughed or intergrated into delta seniority which would be very unlikely

ConfCodeCOOL
03-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Do you really think If compass is boughT by DAL why would they want to keep the American 175 and just return them and worse case situation all compass pilots get furloughed or intergrated into delta seniority which would be very unlikely

https://media.giphy.com/media/nha4mVuSHVNFC/giphy.gif

Poser765
03-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Do you really think If compass is boughT by DAL why would they want to keep the American 175 and just return them and worse case situation all compass pilots get furloughed or intergrated into delta seniority which would be very unlikely1. If delta bought us the AA 175 would go elsewhere.

2. If delra bought us they would not just make us delta employees. We'd be either merged with endeavor or become another wholly owned carriers. A subsidiary of Delta Air Lines.

And the the cargo dog... Yes the objective is to be at mainline, flying mainline aircraft for, mainline pay. Not to work for mainline, flying regional airplanes, for a quarter of the money.

VIRotate
03-19-2018, 12:01 AM

Holy run-on sentence batman! Punctuation my friend, punctuation.

veewan
03-19-2018, 02:54 AM
Holy run-on sentence batman! Punctuation my friend, punctuation.

Engrish as a second ranguage.

amcnd
03-19-2018, 05:56 AM
All this stems from DL they said it publicly in a few meetings with ramp/pilots/inflight ext they will only have 3 ďmega regionals ď overlapping each other...

Mesabah
03-19-2018, 06:09 AM
Directly from the CEO of DCI, there will be three regionals. Skywest, Rah, and Endeavor. They are in negotiations to acquire Compass, which would be merged into us. If Hulas doesn't sell, then Delta takes the planes back at the end of next year.

flydiamond
03-19-2018, 06:17 AM
All this stems from DL they said it publicly in a few meetings with ramp/pilots/inflight ext they will only have 3 ďmega regionals ď overlapping each other...

To elaborate, the Delta Connection Senior Vice President is now the Endeavor CEO as of about 2 months ago and has not been quiet in saying 3 regionals while growing Endeavor from 30% of the DC feed to 45%. Adding GoJet and Compassí airplanes to Endeavor (possibly converting 700s to 175SCs) would get them there, and weíre already starting to see overlap with Skywest moving into LGA in May.

Iíd be cautious about going to a regional that only flies 10% of the DC feed, be it GoJet or Compass. Itís very risky as Delta will just transfer the planes, not the pilots. Just like they did at ASA.

Excargodog
03-19-2018, 06:33 AM
And the the cargo dog... Yes the objective is to be at mainline, flying mainline aircraft for, mainline pay. Not to work for mainline, flying regional airplanes, for a quarter of the money.

Ah, mea culpa....left out the clue birds....

And SO WHAT if DAL bought (or even bough) Compass? I thought the whole idea was to work for a legacy?

:D

Poser765
03-19-2018, 11:02 AM
Ah, mea culpa....left out the clue birds....

:Dah, copy that

poorflyer
03-19-2018, 11:25 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/3b28300a14a6011eb36fa385c83e117f/tenor.gif?itemid=3594220ah, copy that

NeverFlexTO
03-19-2018, 12:11 PM
To elaborate, the Delta Connection Senior Vice President is now the Endeavor CEO as of about 2 months ago and has not been quiet in saying 3 regionals while growing Endeavor from 30% of the DC feed to 45%. Adding GoJet and Compassí airplanes to Endeavor (possibly converting 700s to 175SCs) would get them there, and weíre already starting to see overlap with Skywest moving into LGA in May.

Iíd be cautious about going to a regional that only flies 10% of the DC feed, be it GoJet or Compass. Itís very risky as Delta will just transfer the planes, not the pilots. Just like they did at ASA.

And who will fly them???

Most of the Legacy ASA guys are ending up at DL, probably a win win for Compass people anyways...

BobbyLeeSwagger
03-19-2018, 12:44 PM
And who will fly them???

Exactly right

Beechking90
03-19-2018, 01:31 PM

Iíd be cautious about going to a regional that only flies 10% of the DC feed, be it GoJet or Compass. Itís very risky as Delta will just transfer the planes, not the pilots. Just like they did at ASA.We are hearing the same thing at RPA. The 3 regionals as stated. The only difference is that we are getting the 175's and Endeavour is getting the 700's. There's definitely something in the works on our end right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hot Richard
03-19-2018, 01:58 PM
We are hearing the same thing at RPA. The 3 regionals as stated. The only difference is that we are getting the 175's and Endeavour is getting the 700's. There's definitely something in the works on our end right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Delta wants EDV to have Embraers as another carrier option if needed, an insurance policy basically.

veewan
03-19-2018, 02:13 PM
And who will fly them???

Most of the Legacy ASA guys are ending up at DL, probably a win win for Compass people anyways...

All the pilots who lose their jobs as the planes are transferred will fly the jets. So they'll fly the same plane in a new uniform on a different seniority list.

Poser765
03-19-2018, 04:33 PM
All the pilots who lose their jobs as the planes are transferred will fly the jets. So they'll fly the same plane in a new uniform on a different seniority list.if mamma D wants those planes elsewhere now, that would take time. Lots and lots of time. And money. It's not a quick and easy thing to do to bring on a bunch of airplanes, develop a training program, and and send through initial 5 or 600 pilots.

Compass has all of that already in place. I'm sure if we merged people would blast out of here. A lot even, but they'd not even come close to having to hire and train a whole new Cadre of crews.

BobbyLeeSwagger
03-19-2018, 04:38 PM
if mamma D wants those planes elsewhere now, that would take time. Lots and lots of time. And money. It's not a quick and easy thing to do to bring on a bunch of airplanes, develop a training program, and and send through initial 5 or 600 pilots.

Compass has all of that already in place. I'm sure if we merged people would blast out of here. A lot even, but they'd not even come close to having to hire and train a whole new Cadre of crews.

Exactly right.

veewan
03-19-2018, 04:50 PM
if mamma D wants those planes elsewhere now, that would take time. Lots and lots of time. And money. It's not a quick and easy thing to do to bring on a bunch of airplanes, develop a training program, and and send through initial 5 or 600 pilots.

Well the word is 9E has already started training people on the Ejet to develop their program.

So yes it takes time, but if they have started now, maybe it is designed to be ready for 2020.

gojo
03-19-2018, 05:39 PM

I would guess that the ASA between Hulas and Delta would have legal terms in regards to a systematic wind down if Delta decided not to extend the contract. If Delta decides to reassign that flying they are not going to receive all 36 airplanes, or however many birds of Delta color you have in one day. How did it work for Republic when those 6 birds went over there? And how is the transfer of ExpessJet 700/900ís going? Delta says 3 regionals. One way or another Iím pretty confident thatís whatíll happen. And as weíve seen many times before, pilots will follow the planes and quick upgrades.

mpet
03-19-2018, 08:09 PM
I would guess that the ASA between Hulas and Delta would have legal terms in regards to a systematic wind down if Delta decided not to extend the contract. If Delta decides to reassign that flying they are not going to receive all 36 airplanes, or however many birds of Delta color you have in one day. How did it work for Republic when those 6 birds went over there? And how is the transfer of ExpessJet 700/900ís going? Delta says 3 regionals. One way or another Iím pretty confident thatís whatíll happen. And as weíve seen many times before, pilots will follow the planes and quick upgrades.

The CPA for those 6 was up. The CPA for the remainder of the planes were operating is not until 2020.

gojo
03-19-2018, 08:24 PM
The CPA for those 6 was up. The CPA for the remainder of the planes were operating is not until 2020.

I understand that, and I didnít state otherwise. But that makes sense when Delta says no later than the fall of next year if they canít reach an agreement for an early termination of the CPA. I would imagine that we're talking about 18 months of profit being the selling point? Anything less than that and Hulas will probably just say, no thanks. Iíll just wait until the end. If Delta waits until the end, all it costs them is time. Either way, Delta gets the birds back

N200NN
03-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Food for thought:
Our Delta birds are not scope compliant.

gojo
03-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Food for thought:

It they have been grandfathered in

veewan
03-20-2018, 02:46 AM
Food for thought:

That can be changed.

amcnd
03-20-2018, 05:16 AM
They have been transferred once already to TSH Im sure they can bae transfered again.. or they pay for the service buliten to make them 86k or like OO pay the service bulletin for the 175SCís to be 76 seat 175ís.

ConfCodeCOOL
03-20-2018, 01:34 PM
They have been transferred once already to TSH Im sure they can bae transfered again.. or they pay for the service buliten to make them 86k or like OO pay the service bulletin for the 175SCís to be 76 seat 175ís.

No, they were always on the compass certificate, nothing has ever changed with the Compass certificate except ownership.
If we were sold again, new ownership, nothing changes on the Compass certificate (or for us, except maybe a better HR/payroll department, better management and possibly more money... sign me up!) :cool:

DL31082
03-20-2018, 03:07 PM
First of all just because there is a termination date does not mean that it canít be terminated early. All wind downs are negotiated between the two carriers. ExpressJets CRJs were supposed to be on property until 2020 as well, we all saw how well that worked out for them.

VIRotate
03-21-2018, 01:14 AM
First of all just because there is a termination date does not mean that it canít be terminated early. All wind downs are negotiated between the two carriers. ExpressJets CRJs were supposed to be on property until 2020 as well, we all saw how well that worked out for them.

We have a little more protection with the increased MTOW. That will be a problem for Delta if they just transfer planes without the certificate.

SEMIslave
03-21-2018, 04:44 AM
We have a little more protection with the increased MTOW. That will be a problem for Delta if they just transfer planes without the certificate.

From the Delta PWA:
ďException two: Up to the 36 EMB-175s that were operated and/or ordered by Northwest prior to October 30, 2008 may continue to be operated with up to a maximum gross takeoff weight of 89,000 pounds.Ē

Doesnít say anything about them being operated at Compass.

crazyjaydawg
03-21-2018, 05:44 AM
From the Delta PWA:

ďException two: Up to the 36 EMB-175s that were operated and/or ordered by Northwest prior to October 30, 2008 may continue to be operated with up to a maximum gross takeoff weight of 89,000 pounds.Ē

Doesnít say anything about them being operated at Compass.

Donít bring facts into this!!!

WesternSkies
03-21-2018, 06:12 AM
How often do you weigh over 86K?

TransWorld
03-21-2018, 06:31 AM

After eating mamaís Thanksgiving dinner.

poorflyer
03-21-2018, 06:40 AM
Or when finally getting a hotel with free breakfast. Gotta stuff all the food you can do you have nourishment all day, kinda like a hamster.

Fr8Thrust
03-21-2018, 08:25 AM

In the summertime going to Texas, quite often. However the fuel efficiency of the extended wingtip almost makes up for this, but not quite.

BobbyLeeSwagger
03-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Or when finally getting a hotel with free breakfast. Gotta stuff all the food you can do you have nourishment all day, kinda like a hamster.

Ha! I tried that thinking I would be skinny again by the end of the day, but I still look like a hamster. Unbelievable!

sMFer
03-21-2018, 09:44 AM
In the summertime going to Texas, quite often. However the fuel efficiency of the extended wingtip almost makes up for this, but not quite.Except for the fact that the extended wingtip is only on the AA birds and you certainly aren't over 86K, ever, on those planes. Those are maxed at 85,517.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Fr8Thrust
03-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Except for the fact that the extended wingtip is only on the AA birds and you certainly aren't over 86K, ever, on those planes. Those are maxed at 85,517.

Hense my comparison. Plus the NWA configuration is heavier due to parts materials and all the extra storage/equipment and galley space. So in comparison if you lighten it up and add fuel efficiency, the useful loads are about the same.

Not to forget our Honda Civic Head-unit in the forward galley probably adds a couple pounds too. 😄

TimetoClimb
03-22-2018, 01:15 PM
All the pilots who lose their jobs as the planes are transferred will fly the jets. So they'll fly the same plane in a new uniform on a different seniority list.

Better pray for that Hawaiian flow, stat!

WesternSkies
03-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Except for the fact that the extended wingtip is only on the AA birds and you certainly aren't over 86K, ever, on those planes. Those are maxed at 85,517.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Curious to why 85,517 and not 86k if that is the scope and itís an 89k airplane?!?

Boeing175
03-22-2018, 06:18 PM
Curious to why 85,517 and not 86k if that is the scope and itís an 89k airplane?!?E175 AR models are 89k. The E175 LR is 85517.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

NeverFlexTO
03-23-2018, 02:13 PM
Endeavor is starting to hire street captains/award captains out of Indoc training...and has 20 year captains in MSP on reserve. Again not sure how you’re going to staff the airplanes. The legacy ASA guys chased the planes because they stayed in ATL and there lifers, we don’t have that...

Skywest is having horrific staffing problems as well...

For those at RAH who think our guys will come there, why wouldn’t our guys just go to a spirit or frontier and be FOs rather than start back at year 1 pay? Many are starting to do that now...

I’m not buying the whole “the pilots will follow the planes” no body gives two poops about flying a 175, a majority of pilots go to an airline for QOL and where they live. You won’t sell me on the quick upgrade cause the majors are plucking FOs from regionals. If most of our guys start new at any of those places listed above, there’s a high probability they’ll have to commute from one coast to the other...not a very attractive option. So again why not a Frontier/Spirit/Allegiant and ride it out till a major calls

So again, I’ll ask whose going to fly these planes without a merger...

BobbyLeeSwagger
03-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Endeavor is starting to hire street captains/award captains out of Indoc training...and has 20 year captains in MSP on reserve. Again not sure how youíre going to staff the airplanes. The legacy ASA guys chased the planes because they stayed in ATL and there lifers, we donít have that...

For those at RAH who think our guys will come there, why wouldnít our guys just go to a spirit or frontier and be FOs rather than start back at year 1 pay? Many are starting to do that now...

Iím not buying the whole ďthe pilots will follow the planesĒ no body gives two poops about flying a 175, a majority of pilots go to an airline for QOL and where they live. You wonít sell me on the quick upgrade cause the majors are plucking FOs from regionals. If most of our guys start new at any of those places listed above, thereís a high probability theyíll have to commute from one coast to the other...not a very attractive option. So again why not a Frontier/Spirit/Allegiant and ride it out till a major calls

So again, Iíll ask whose going to fly these planes without a merger...

This 100%. That's why I'm not too worried. If there are mergers it will be because there are NOT enough pilots, not because there are NOT enough jobs. It will all work itself y'all. We are a very fortunate generation of pilots to be where we are right now. Get your time, enjoy the ride.

animation
03-24-2018, 02:51 PM
This 100%. That's why I'm not too worried. If there are mergers it will be because there are NOT enough pilots, not because there are NOT enough jobs. It will all work itself y'all. We are a very fortunate generation of pilots to be where we are right now. Get your time, enjoy the ride.

With the current hiring and attrition at Endeavor, we have the staffing to grow by 15 to 20 planes a year. I do think itíd be smart for DL to make Compass a wholly owned again though.

gojo
03-24-2018, 03:39 PM
Endeavor is starting to hire street captains/award captains out of Indoc training...and has 20 year captains in MSP on reserve. Again not sure how youíre going to staff the airplanes. The legacy ASA guys chased the planes because they stayed in ATL and there lifers, we donít have that...

For those at RAH who think our guys will come there, why wouldnít our guys just go to a spirit or frontier and be FOs rather than start back at year 1 pay? Many are starting to do that now...

Iím not buying the whole ďthe pilots will follow the planesĒ no body gives two poops about flying a 175, a majority of pilots go to an airline for QOL and where they live. You wonít sell me on the quick upgrade cause the majors are plucking FOs from regionals. If most of our guys start new at any of those places listed above, thereís a high probability theyíll have to commute from one coast to the other...not a very attractive option. So again why not a Frontier/Spirit/Allegiant and ride it out till a major calls

So again, Iíll ask whose going to fly these planes without a merger...

Comair and ExpressJet/ASA thought they were safe also. Never underestimate Delta or this industry for that matter. Skywest and GoJet are still attracting pilots with their subpar contracts. And if Endeavor or Republic were to get the Compass planes and open a West Coast base I think youíd see theyíd be able to staff without a merger.

Excargodog
03-24-2018, 06:08 PM
Comair and ExpressJet/ASA thought they were safe also. Never underestimate Delta or this industry for that matter. Skywest and GoJet are still attracting pilots with their subpar contracts. And if Endeavor or Republic were to get the Compass planes and open a West Coast base I think youíd see theyíd be able to staff without a merger.

I suppose all things are POSSIBLE but why would they want to? They certainly don't have 400 or so E-175 type rated and line qualified pilots just sitting around, not even Republic. When a group of 650 already qualified pilots exist, why would anyone wish to spend the additional money to recreate what already exists?

Even under the best of circumstances you aren't going to get 400 people recruited, their ATP done, and through sim training without an enormous expense. While I have no idea what an E-175 sim goes for an hour, or how much it costs for instructors, or how much you spend on recruiters per new hire, the new hire salary and hotel expenses while going through training alone must be north of $20K a head, and that doesn't even count the signing bonuses that are now being given. That's an asset that in training alone is - at an absolute minimum - worth $12 million or so, and very likely double that.

And this for a group who have already 100% COMPLETED training, so you aren't going to be paying for training attrition either. Nor are you going to want to be parking dozens of aircraft while you crank 400 people through training.

Now clearly, all things are possible, and I will admit I've seen companies do stupider things, but I think what BobbyLeeSwagger posted makes more sense.

animation
03-24-2018, 07:19 PM
I suppose all things are POSSIBLE but why would they want to? They certainly don't have 400 or so E-175 type rated and line qualified pilots just sitting around, not even Republic. When a group of 650 already qualified pilots exist, why would anyone wish to spend the additional money to recreate what already exists?

Even under the best of circumstances you aren't going to get 400 people recruited, their ATP done, and through sim training without an enormous expense. While I have no idea what an E-175 sim goes for an hour, or how much it costs for instructors, or how much you spend on recruiters per new hire, the new hire salary and hotel expenses while going through training alone must be north of $20K a head, and that doesn't even count the signing bonuses that are now being given. That's an asset that in training alone is - at an absolute minimum - worth $12 million or so, and very likely double that.

And this for a group who have already 100% COMPLETED training, so you aren't going to be paying for training attrition either. Nor are you going to want to be parking dozens of aircraft while you crank 400 people through training.

Now clearly, all things are possible, and I will admit I've seen companies do stupider things, but I think what BobbyLeeSwagger posted makes more sense.

Although you make some good points, Delta wonít move all the airplanes at once. Itíd be gradual.

Excargodog
03-24-2018, 08:02 PM
Although you make some good points, Delta wonít move all the airplanes at once. Itíd be gradual.

Gradual or immediate, it doesn't change the value of the pilot group.

animation
03-24-2018, 08:05 PM
Gradual or immediate, it doesn't change the value of the pilot group.

It doesn't, but Comair and ASA pilots were just as valuable.

mpet
03-24-2018, 08:23 PM
It doesn't, but Comair and ASA pilots were just as valuable.

Were they? I don't seem to remember a pilot shortage when comair got shut down and by your logic endeavor pilots are just as valuable as comair pilots were and I'm not buying that. I also don't remember either of those pilot groups having experience on a type that endeavor is supposedly trying to add and nor was the pilot group much less expensive than current 9e pilots are nor did it have pilots out west with mx bases and FAs and sim instructors etc etc. Nobody knows what's going to happen so why speculate anyway. Where do these 9e pilots think these 36 e175s are going? None of you seem to be able to answer that yet you know everything Delta has planned?

animation
03-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Were they? I don't seem to remember a pilot shortage when comair got shut down and by your logic endeavor pilots are just as valuable as comair pilots were and I'm not buying that. I also don't remember either of those pilot groups having experience on a type that endeavor is supposedly trying to add and nor was the pilot group much less expensive than current 9e pilots are nor did it have pilots out west with mx bases and FAs and sim instructors etc etc. Nobody knows what's going to happen so why speculate anyway. Where do these 9e pilots think these 36 e175s are going? None of you seem to be able to answer that yet you know everything Delta has planned?

ASA flying is being scaled back to nothing as we speak so pilot shortage is irrelevant. We've continued to have strong hiring numbers across the board so we could easily staff a gradual increase of a new fleet type. Comair flying was also dismantled over time to multiple DCI carriers. So anything is possible. 9E could cease to exist in the near future too so idk. I dont know if 9E is going to get E175s or not or where they are coming from either. Our management does seem to be pushing for it though. They seem to believe that we'd be more valuable to Delta if we could fly both CRJs and EJets.

poorflyer
03-24-2018, 09:49 PM
I don't think any of us know what will happen to any regional in the next few years. If you did, you're in the wrong career because you could make a lot more money as a stock market broker with that kind of insight. There is no doubt that the regionals are going to change in the future, I I just hope we all can support each other when that happens. All this bickering about who's gonna fly what and who's company can staff better brings me down a bit. But I have this hope in the back of my head that us regional guys are starting to realize we have the upper hand and will pull each other up to finally bring an end to this subpar lifestyle that was created to lower ticket prices.

BobbyLeeSwagger
03-24-2018, 10:01 PM
I don't think any of us know what will happen to any regional in the next few years. If you did, you're in the wrong career because you could make a lot more money as a stock market broker with that kind of insight. There is no doubt that the regionals are going to change in the future, I I just hope we all can support each other when that happens. All this bickering about who's gonna fly what and who's company can staff better brings me down a bit. But I have this hope in the back of my head that us regional guys are starting to realize we have the upper hand and will pull each other up to finally bring an end to this subpar lifestyle that was created to lower ticket prices.

Whenever I'm down, I start singing the pointer sisters...

"I'm so excited.... and I just can't hide it... I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!!!"

I sing it probably once a trip, usually as we close the doors.

http://i68.tinypic.com/r2ulaw.jpg

Btw, did some hack my account earlier today?? ;)

poorflyer
03-24-2018, 10:20 PM
Whenever I'm down, I start singing the pointer sisters...

"I'm so excited.... and I just can't hide it... I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!!!"

I sing it probably once a trip, usually as we close the doors.

http://i68.tinypic.com/r2ulaw.jpg

Btw, did some hack my account earlier today?? ;)

If there was ever proof of Russian hacking it was definitely your heartfelt post in the other thread. Might as well call you IvanLeeKalashnikov.

veewan
03-25-2018, 04:32 AM

We do have the upper hand, unfortunately some pilots don't realize it.

Part of having the upper hand though is to steer pilots away from your airline so that you can better negotiate. If classes get filled management has no incentive to up compensation or QOL through work rules.

The proof in the pudding to this is airlines offering bonuses, or going back to the pilot group to renegotiate early. As terrible of a deal as Skywest agreed to with the roughly 1% increase, management decided to come back to the pilots early... almost like a union carrier going into early section 6.

Compass didn't offer the 17.5K out of wanting to give similar compensation to other regionals, they only did it when they couldn't fill classes.

N914FJ
03-25-2018, 08:42 AM
Compass isn't going anywhere...there's a reason we have a crew base in PHX...because like the mythical creature...Compass too,will rise from the ashes of other regionals.

FlytheSky
03-25-2018, 08:51 AM
Compass isn't going anywhere...there's a reason we have a crew base in PHX...because like the mythical creature...Compass too,will rise from the ashes of other regionals.

THAT'S why Mesa has a PHX base! It all makes sense now...

veewan
03-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Great Lakes is ceasing operations.

He who pays the pilots will have an airline.

BobbyLeeSwagger
03-26-2018, 08:30 PM
Great Lakes is ceasing operations.

He who pays the pilots will have an airline.

Good riddance!

PositveRate
03-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Good riddance!

Finally! Iím an exLaker, itís about damn time tho! I hope the pilots who were employed can find a new job fairly quickly!

veewan
03-27-2018, 03:48 AM
Finally! Iím an exLaker, itís about damn time tho! I hope the pilots who were employed can find a new job fairly quickly!

The director of operations at TSA has set up immediate employment for all GLA pilots that meet 121 mins. So hopefully they all walk into trans states as if the shutdown never happened. For those with less than 121 minimums, the professional pilots of tomorrow are giving free advice on what low time gigs they can pursue.

Poser765
03-27-2018, 07:55 AM
How many pilots did they still have? It couldn't have been too many.

TransWorld
03-27-2018, 07:56 AM
How many pilots did they still have? It couldn't have been too many.

Reported on another thread they has 15 pilots.

N914FJ
03-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Mesa offering guaranteed interviews for Lakers as well

veewan
03-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Mesa offering guaranteed interviews for Lakers as well

So many job offers for 15 people.

poorflyer
03-27-2018, 10:32 AM
So many job offers for 15 people.

Regional pilot shortage is realll

veewan
03-27-2018, 11:11 AM
Regional pilot shortage is realll

Yeah. Although these places really didn't have to make advertising that they would accept Lakers.

Honestly those guys could apply to any regional they want.

Mandrake
03-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Yeah. Although these places really didn't have to make advertising that they would accept Lakers.

Honestly those guys could apply to any major they want.

Fixed it for you

veewan
03-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Fixed it for you

While I agree they should be able to, the vast majority of recent Lakers have needed to get some jet time first.

Mandrake
03-28-2018, 08:08 AM
While I agree they should be able to, the vast majority of recent Lakers have needed to get some jet time first.

According to APC they have/had 30 pilots so take that FWIW. The TSA thing was probably nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Excargodog
03-28-2018, 09:09 AM
According to APC they have/had 30 pilots so take that FWIW. The TSA thing was probably nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Could be, but Ameriflight and a number of others made similar offers. It was at least a show of support.

Fr8Thrust
03-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Could be, but Ameriflight and a number of others made similar offers. It was at least a show of support.

At least they can fly the same fleet at AMF and get a bonus for it too. Some might go to Key Slime tho.

word302
03-28-2018, 01:24 PM
At least they can fly the same fleet at AMF and get a bonus for it too. Some might go to Key Slime tho.

Word is they were down to 15 pilots at the end.

GrassLandings
04-24-2018, 09:42 AM
Alright, time for a thread revive. Anyone else think something is up with our COO's retirement in June(ish)? Just seems like this is another step towards a merger/aquisition. We keep hearing "training pipeline looks good for staffing by june or july" but at the same time our COO is leaving at that same, yet appoximate timeframe. All these rumors of mergers seem to get more and more solid. Im not a huge rumor guy, but something seems amiss.
Thoughts?

mpet
04-24-2018, 10:49 AM
Alright, time for a thread revive. Anyone else think something is up with our COO's retirement in June(ish)? Just seems like this is another step towards a merger/aquisition. We keep hearing "training pipeline looks good for staffing by june or july" but at the same time our COO is leaving at that same, yet appoximate timeframe. All these rumors of mergers seem to get more and more solid. Im not a huge rumor guy, but something seems amiss.
Thoughts?

maybe maybe not believe it when you see it. Hulas has to get out, his 3 will be first to go and he knows it.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Thoughts?

I'm not a huge rumor guy either. I'm getting more convinced he's leaving for the above reason you mentioned. If it even happens, there are still a lot of unknows, guess we'll find out in due time. But yeah, I don't buy RLs reason for BG leaving.

EVCP9EOOG7
04-24-2018, 11:35 AM
9E is currently having CAE build/install a 175 sim. Pilots going through recurrent are being told to expect an announcement in may.

ConfCodeCOOL
04-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Dude with 1 post. Is 9E gonna be able to hire 600 pilots in the blink of an eye? And suddenly open up a whole west coast operation? :rolleyes:

mpet
04-24-2018, 11:47 AM
9E is currently having CAE build/install a 175 sim. Pilots going through recurrent are being told to expect an announcement in may.

that username tho

EVCP9EOOG7
04-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Sorry first time caller long time listener. Anyways I get where your coming from with Compass pilots having value. But at the same time I donít think Delta cares Iím not management and Iím not with any of these airlines although I used to be. My best guess is Delta will slowly pull these aircraft into the Endeavor fleet taking them from Compass as they get people trained in them because itís cheaper for them to hire someone off the street rather then take a 10 year Compass guy and they arenít having problems with hiring. Right now they are turning people away and telling people to expect class dates in the fall.

ConfCodeCOOL
04-24-2018, 11:49 AM
that username tho

BIG news this Friday! ;)

Mystikman23
04-24-2018, 11:52 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/Ride_or_Die.jpg

You hoping to spend 10+ years at a regional? Go to Skywest or a wholly owned. You looking to get the quickest upgrade in LAX or PHX? Come to Compass. If things fall through, many other places are offering some wicked fast upgrades brah, and you can just drop in and get pitted. You'll have to get that 1000 hours of 121 time anyways, before you can upgrade so you might as well go big or go home. But that's just my 2 cents.

Drop in and get pitted?! Howís da gnar out there? Cheeeeehoooo!

ConfCodeCOOL
04-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Sorry first time caller long time listener. Anyways I get where your coming from with Compass pilots having value. But at the same time I donít think Delta cares Iím not management and Iím not with any of these airlines although I used to be. My best guess is Delta will slowly pull these aircraft into the Endeavor fleet taking them from Compass as they get people trained in them because itís cheaper for them to hire someone off the street rather then take a 10 year Compass guy and they arenít having problems with hiring. Right now they are turning people away and telling people to expect class dates in the fall.

10 year compass guy?... what 10 year compass guys?? Our average pilot has been on property like 19 months... I realize they aren't having major hiring problems right now but they're still paying a training bonus and a referral bonus and they would have problems if they suddenly were trying to hire several hundred pilots. And the reason they aren't having hiring problems is they pay the highest... which means Delta would have to pay more $$. If they do make this move, it wouldn't be a cost saving move. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it, but they would pay a pretty penny.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-24-2018, 12:09 PM

If they think the can *announce* a draw down to move all our planes and we wont all leave with the quickness they got another thing coming. It makes more sense to just change the sign on the door on the crew room and fence the groups until they iron everything out. As far as Im concerned, nothing changes really, im getting my time and getting out, and pillaging some snack baskets along the way

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-24-2018, 12:16 PM
10 year compass guy?... what 10 year compass guys?? Our average pilot has been on property like 19 months...

What I imagine a 19 month compass guy who just got a line (#fall'16) telling a new hire about what it means to be a real compass OG, ... then a 3 year captain enters the conversation. Lol, in reality, were all newhires still haha

https://youtu.be/phKe4peWFG8

FlytheSky
04-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Thoughts?

I'm not a big rumor guy either. I personally am not reading too much into it. BG retired from Delta before coming to Compass, so it doesn't surprise me that he's leaving. Especially with the announcement coming on a Monday with a couple months notice, compared to the last COO leaving on a Friday suddenly.

Staffing levels are by no means great, but they're certainly getting far better as more FOs hit the line. It seems we're getting less critical pay emails and we're going fewer days where systemwide we have no FOs available on reserve at all. So things are trending in the right direction. I wasn't sure if they would, but it appears that's what happening now. So I have a hard time reading too much into the timing of BG's announcement and thoughts of a merger. If he was leaving as we were negotiating with DL or AA for contract renewals, then I'd have concerns.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-24-2018, 12:44 PM
I'm not a big rumor guy either. I personally am not reading too much into it. BG retired from Delta before coming to Compass, so it doesn't surprise me that he's leaving. Especially with the announcement coming on a Monday with a couple months notice, compared to the last COO leaving on a Friday suddenly.

Staffing levels are by no means great, but they're certainly getting far better as more FOs hit the line. It seems we're getting less critical pay emails and we're going fewer days where systemwide we have no FOs available on reserve at all. So things are trending in the right direction. I wasn't sure if they would, but it appears that's what happening now. So I have a hard time reading too much into the timing of BG's announcement and thoughts of a merger. If he was leaving as we were negotiating with DL or AA for contract renewals, then I'd have concerns.

https://i.imgflip.com/290sco.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/290sco)

JetDoc
04-24-2018, 12:52 PM
If they think the can *announce* a draw down to move all our planes and we wont all leave with the quickness they got another thing coming. It makes more sense to just change the sign on the door on the crew room and fence the groups until they iron everything out. As far as Im concerned, nothing changes really, im getting my time and getting out, and pillaging some snack baskets along the way

This^^^^^^ This, a thousand times this^^^^^^^ If the d-bags at delta think they can draw us down, put us out of work while giving the planes to Endeavor my resignation letter would be tendered IMMEDIATELY! This guy will head back to the toolbox in a hot second before I will start over at some other crap hole regional. To this day I get monthly emails and calls from recruiters about a resume I posted online back in 2005. Hell, I'd probably earn more money too.

mpet
04-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Sorry first time caller long time listener. Anyways I get where your coming from with Compass pilots having value. But at the same time I don’t think Delta cares I’m not management and I’m not with any of these airlines although I used to be. My best guess is Delta will slowly pull these aircraft into the Endeavor fleet taking them from Compass as they get people trained in them because it’s cheaper for them to hire someone off the street rather then take a 10 year Compass guy and they aren’t having problems with hiring. Right now they are turning people away and telling people to expect class dates in the fall.

a '10 year compass pilot' is cheaper right now than a year 3 endeavor captain, a year 10 compass FO if such a thing existed, is cheaper than a year 1 FO at endeavor... and our pilots are already living on the west coast, who knows, maybe the e175's if they show up at endeavor will end up on the east coast, if not, enjoy that east to west commute to the garbage schedules we have out here.

EVCP9EOOG7
04-24-2018, 04:45 PM
what I was saying is itís cheaper for delta to close the doors and see where all the pilots run just like they are doing to express jet asa side. They donít want to bring in a three year pilot from compass and pay him three year endeavor capt pay right away they would rather take the chance at them running elsewhere because they know some will come over to endeavor some will run the other way but give it a little while and delta will announce some kinda partnership with schools around the country to fill the seats at endeavor with the promise of moving to mainline. Delta wonít bring another pilot group into the endeavor mess.

NeverFlexTO
04-24-2018, 05:55 PM

BG lasted as long as he did for two reasons...

1. He was the first yes man Trans States had in the COO position since the sale from Delta, simply put he did what HK and RL told him to do, guy never worked at a regional before and it was evident he had no idea what he was getting himself into...letís be honest MW runs Compass. Heís the only long term TSA employee at Compass...and heís the eyes and ears of STL in the CPZ operation

2. Things right now are at an all time low for Compass (although still not ready to sound the alarms). In retrospect, for a guy whose been here for a few years, morale from all employee groups under his helm have deteriorated significantly. His decisions have directly contributed to that, thatís his legacy here, and maybe he thinks he canít save it...performance is better, but at what costs? Maybe thatís all DL cares about

My guess is he has some insider info from his pals at DL and saw the writing on the wall...the good news is things change daily in the regional industry. Iím hopeful someone will come in and save this place from the pitfalls and poor decisions that have plagued this company for the last several years. This is unfamiliar territory for Compass and all regionals. We could have used past history during these times to have a good idea what will happen, but there is so much instability and volatility in the regional game right now. It could come down to a coin flip...

poorflyer
04-24-2018, 06:41 PM
I still think MW is pretending to be evil management this whole time, while secretly working to save us. MW will rise from the ashes in 2020 like our own personal Jesus, mark my words!!!

Paid2fly
04-24-2018, 07:37 PM
I still think MW is pretending to be evil management this whole time, while secretly working to save us. MW will rise from the ashes in 2020 like our own personal Jesus, mark my words!!!:confused::eek::rolleyes:

Puff, puff, pass...

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-24-2018, 08:04 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/if526u.jpg

FlytheSky
04-24-2018, 08:12 PM
I still think MW is pretending to be evil management this whole time, while secretly working to save us. MW will rise from the ashes in 2020 like our own personal Jesus, mark my words!!!

That's a lot of yoke clips that will need to be modified if that's true!

In the meantime, I'll have what he's having!

poorflyer
04-24-2018, 08:42 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/if526u.jpg

lol exactly what I had in my head.

veewan
04-25-2018, 07:12 AM

You really think they'd announce a draw down?

My bet is IF they have anything planned like that, they'll say, "No no, operations will continue." But behind closed doors they'd wind things down.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-25-2018, 09:12 AM
You really think they'd announce a draw down?

My bet is IF they have anything planned like that, they'll say, "No no, operations will continue." But behind closed doors they'd wind things down.

I don't think they would announce it in the same way they announce a Christmas party. But they wont be able to get much by us when block hours start waining and planes start leaving and reserves stop being used etc. They will have to say something about it. But yeah, as always, tight lips until they have to. As others have said, if there is compass airlines amount of west coast flying to do, they can't just transfer that over in one summer. We still have 700 trained pilots etc.. I don't think we'll just be on the street one day drinking out of a paper bag circa 2008... well, maybe I will. But you guys will be fine.

I hope, as many of you have said, that mainline takes back flying, regionals consolidate, and this profession continues to recover.

KSCessnaDriver
04-25-2018, 09:59 AM

This sounds like something that was more or less said at Expressjet 12 months ago, yet theyíre still able to staff the planes until the end so far. Lots of talk and no action when the rubber hits the road

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-25-2018, 10:18 AM
This sounds like something that was more or less said at Expressjet 12 months ago, yet theyíre still able to staff the planes until the end so far. Lots of talk and no action when the rubber hits the road

Lots of talk and no action?

https://i.imgflip.com/292xmt.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/292xmt)

VIRotate
04-25-2018, 12:14 PM

Compass isnít XJT. We donít have lifers who donít want to start over or, god forbid, take a pay cut at an LCC/ACMI temporarily.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-25-2018, 12:29 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/2939tm.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2939tm)

Teabag Bandit
04-25-2018, 12:59 PM
BIG news this Friday! ;)

Dude, donít take my job.

NormalAbnormal
04-25-2018, 01:17 PM
2. Things right now are at an all time low for Compass (although still not ready to sound the alarms). In retrospect, for a guy whose been here for a few years, morale from all employee groups under his helm have deteriorated significantly. His decisions have directly contributed to that, thatís his legacy here, and maybe he thinks he canít save it...performance is better, but at what costs? Maybe thatís all DL cares about

My guess is he has some insider info from his pals at DL and saw the writing on the wall...the good news is things change daily in the regional industry. Iím hopeful someone will come in and save this place from the pitfalls and poor decisions that have plagued this company for the last several years. This is unfamiliar territory for Compass and all regionals. We could have used past history during these times to have a good idea what will happen, but there is so much instability and volatility in the regional game right now. It could come down to a coin flip...

You have much to learn young grasshopper. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

mpet
04-25-2018, 01:41 PM
Dude, donít take my job.

r o f l, filler

Mesabah
04-25-2018, 02:07 PM
I think the Compass pilots will be used to staff the MRJ, probably for Alaska. I don't think any regional group can afford to lose pilots, the XJT guys making the jump are for the bases.

VIRotate
04-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Dude, donít take my job.

The legend returns!

GroundLogic
04-25-2018, 04:10 PM
I'm not looking into BG leaving as any sign. Because of the late start to the golfing season in msp, I think he just really misses swinging his clubs and pulling balls out of the water hazards. Dude really likes Golf, and he needs to make up lost time.

poorflyer
04-25-2018, 05:33 PM
I don't think BG leaving is a sign. It's more a disappointment he acted like he really cared about us, but knew the whole time he was planning to retire and not guide us through the shift that regional airlines are going to have to make in the near future.

mpet
04-25-2018, 05:39 PM
"whats our upgrade time at right now? like 12 months?"

poorflyer
04-25-2018, 05:41 PM
"whats our upgrade time at right now? like 12 months?"

"We'll look into it"
BG 2016-2018 or something

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-25-2018, 06:55 PM
I don't think BG leaving is a sign. It's more a disappointment he acted like he really cared about us, but knew the whole time he was planning to retire and not guide us through the shift that regional airlines are going to have to make in the near future.

http://i66.tinypic.com/27z9ova.jpg

poorflyer
04-25-2018, 07:01 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/27z9ova.jpg

Stop memeing me damnit!

FlyingKat
04-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Very interesting. Compass COO leaving, TSA DO that was the glue holding the place together leaves last fall, and FO (TSA COO) rumored to be leaving this summer too. Supposedly RP deal was done in February and Hulas threw in something that caused BB to walk away. Now that TSA is losing pilots left and right, and going to have to pay a hell of a lot more, maybe Hulas is gonna change his mind and take the RP deal or something better.

Something is going to happen folks. My bet is by the end of the summer.

mpet
04-26-2018, 01:44 PM
dammit HK just go AWAY already

ShooterMcGavin
04-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Perhaps the building C operation is moving to a large southwestern metropolitan area and Bravo Golf doesn't want to go since he left DAL to move back home to MSP.

veewan
04-27-2018, 04:49 AM
Perhaps the building C operation is moving to a large southwestern metropolitan area and Bravo Golf doesn't want to go since he left DAL to move back home to MSP.

Ahhhrizona. Maybe JO at Table airlines is interested.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-27-2018, 01:29 PM
Stop memeing me damnit!

Lol sorry po' flyer, you're still my apc homie. Just couldn't help that one, took me a while to find just the right pic for the meme. I put a lot of thought into it for what its worth 😂

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1