Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Lugar
03-21-2018, 01:40 PM
I have a job offer with Emirates that I was planning to pursue. My attraction to Emirates includes:

* Flying long haul
* Multiple international destinations to choose from
* Flying the A380 or B777

However, I have just been offered an interview with American. If I do decide to interview there, and if offered the job, can I please get an (guess)estimate of how long before:

* I am flying international routes
* I am at least flying 3+ hour legs (much prefer them over short legs), even if it's only in the B737 or A320. It is possible to get longer flight segments fairly quickly?
* Upgrade (as FO) into the B777 or B787 in LAX or DFW.

Time to upgrade to Captain is not as important to me as anything else listed above.

Your time is much appreciated!

UPTme
03-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Troll post?

MarineGrunt
03-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Wide body FO is 6 years or so right now. 737CA is about same seniority. 767 is maybe 3yrs.

You will fly some international as a new hire on the 737/320, but not much. Usually just Mexico, Caribbean and even more rarely northern South America. Narrow body flying is overwhelmingly domestic.

Edit to add: if you’re from the states, you’d be insane to go to Emirates over AA.

Pilot X
03-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Wide body FO is 6 years or so right now. 737CA is about same seniority. 767 is maybe 3yrs.

You will fly some international as a new hire on the 737/320, but not much. Usually just Mexico, Caribbean and even more rarely northern South America. Narrow body flying is overwhelmingly domestic.

Edit to add: if you’re from the states, you’d be insane to go to Emirates over AA.

The junior 737CA as of APR was hired in 2007

QuagmireGiggity
03-21-2018, 03:10 PM
New hires were getting the 76 a couple/three years ago then there was no movement as it shrinks. Now there seems to be some movement. Bottom 76 is PHX 14900 and LGA 14300 ish That bottom PHX guy might be an anomaly he's bottom guy in the company.
No way to really predict this stuff but I would say things will be moving much faster in the coming years.
Group IV seems to be getting more and more junior. 11700 LGA
Long narrowbody legs seem to vary wildly depending on the base. If you mainly want transcons go to New York or other coastal base. A good bit of transcons in Miami but a lot of all nighters. CLT and MD80 seem to have shortest legs.
Also just because it's widebody doesn't mean it's a better schedule. But one leg is nice.

Lugar
03-21-2018, 03:20 PM
New hires were getting the 76 a couple/three years ago then there was no movement as it shrinks. Now there seems to be some movement. Bottom 76 is PHX 14900 and LGA 14300 ish That bottom PHX guy might be an anomaly he's bottom guy in the company.
No way to really predict this stuff but I would say things will be moving much faster in the coming years.
Group IV seems to be getting more and more junior. 11700 LGA
Long narrowbody legs seem to vary wildly depending on the base. If you mainly want transcons go to New York or other coastal base. A good bit of transcons in Miami but a lot of all nighters. CLT and MD80 seem to have shortest legs.
Also just because it's widebody doesn't mean it's a better schedule. But one leg is nice.

Thanks. Agree and understand that widebody doesnít nexessarily equate to a better schedule.. I just prefer to fly one leg, and a somewhat long one at that.

MarineGrunt
03-21-2018, 03:37 PM
The junior 737CA as of APR was hired in 2007

My mistake... I was speaking of projected upgrade for my hire date (2014)... folks hired between then and now are looking at about a 6yr upgrade, barring any unforeseen industry changes.

Pilot X
03-21-2018, 03:43 PM
My mistake... I was speaking of projected upgrade for my hire date (2014)... folks hired between then and now are looking at about a 6yr upgrade, barring any unforeseen industry changes.

No worries I bet it slowly gets less than that too.....for the pleasure of covering the 3 nyc area airports :eek:

UPTme
03-21-2018, 03:46 PM
Maybe not a troll post.

I'll throw in that there is a PHL190 Captain that came back from Emirates. He was a 777 Captain.

Emirates has no union, and no protection. You'll work 20 day months, but you'll be on your widebody.

MarineGrunt
03-21-2018, 04:39 PM
No worries I bet it slowly gets less than that too.....for the pleasure of covering the 3 nyc area airports :eek:

It absolutely will. For example... currently, there is roughly an 80% take-rate for CA upgrades. There are roughly 20% that stay wide body FO or just prefer to stay senior narrowbody FO. So if that remains the same, CA will get more junior as folks retire. We can see it happening already with 737CA being #11,200 give or take. Just my theory...

The next bid will be interesting to see.

Dolphinflyer
03-21-2018, 05:28 PM
From what you posted, AA is a no brainer.

The info regarding EK is out there and consistent for years. They will beat your brains out with 100 hour long haul months year after year. If you get AA, the demographics favor your move and 5-7 years from DOH, you'll probably hold 787/777/A330(XYZ) long haul flying, junior on the list of course.

The advantage for the AA move is that you can still fly 100 month, but it will be at your choice, not that of some Sheikh who will bust your arse 100 hours a month forever.. Once you have a little seniority, you'll be able to play with your schedule and give yourself 3-4 weeks off where AA could care less where you are and they won't call. If you're former Bizjet Corporate/Charter like myself, it blew my mind that I suddenly wasn't on call 24/7 and my supervisors (Chief Pilots) were teaching how to maximize time off. Years ago, we had an AA FO who was a contestant on the Survivor TV series. Great guy and while drinking beers with him, he said AA never knew he was on a South Pacific island for a month, he twisted his schedule to his advantage.

Go to PPrune and ask the EK guys if they could pull the same thing.

You want variety? You can easily get yourself into MIA 737I. You'll fly everything from the Quito on the equator to Anchorage near the Artic Circle along with every little Caribbean island. Like long one legs? Try MIA-SEA on for size. Again, the advantage over EK is that you can fly your arse off like them, fly all the long legs you want, but then pick up a 30 min MIA-HAV leg when the long stuff ****es you off.

QuagmireGiggity
03-21-2018, 05:45 PM
It absolutely will. For example... currently, there is roughly an 80% take-rate for CA upgrades. There are roughly 20% that stay wide body FO or just prefer to stay senior narrowbody FO. So if that remains the same, CA will get more junior as folks retire. We can see it happening already with 737CA being #11,200 give or take. Just my theory...

The next bid will be interesting to see.
Same for widebody CA. It was around 1700 now 2800 for Bus330.

Otterbox
03-21-2018, 07:35 PM
Troll post?

It seems that in one of the Kalitta threads the OP was discovered to be a liar...

Lugar
03-21-2018, 07:36 PM
It seems that in one of the Kalitta threads the OP was discovered to be a liar...

Not. One user claimed that he talked to Connie. That was refuted instantly with actual facts.

Sliceback
03-21-2018, 07:52 PM
Troll post?

A month ago he was 1.5 - 2 yrs away from getting his degree.

Has AA started hiring Part 91 pilots, with no 121 time and no degree?

03-21-2018, 07:57 PM

That thread was pretty funny. This guy actually managed to troll the actual Connie Kalitta

Lugar
03-21-2018, 08:03 PM
A month ago he was 1.5 - 2 yrs away from getting his degree.

Has AA started hiring Part 91 pilots, with no 121 time and no degree?

In the interest of stating facts. American has not hired me yet. I only have an offer to interview. I will say that I have three letters of recommendation. Two from 777 captains and one from a 737 captain.

Dolphinflyer
03-22-2018, 05:43 AM
In the interest of stating facts. American has not hired me yet. I only have an offer to interview. I will say that I have three letters of recommendation. Two from 777 captains and one from a 737 captain.

Unfortunately, I don't think the letters mean squat anymore. I know of people who had many, including from several senior members of pilot flight management, actually trained those managers in the simulator on a new type, worked with them for weeks. One guy was flawless in every category, he was rejected.

Back to you, do you have a college degree?

Sonny Crockett
03-22-2018, 05:49 AM

You also state in other threads you have no degree, and recently you said you were hired by a Major? Kinda weird?

I guess that is what some think "Troll"

Lugar
03-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think the letters mean squat anymore. I know of people who had many, including from several senior members of pilot flight management, actually trained those managers in the simulator on a new type, worked with them for weeks. One guy was flawless in every category, he was rejected.

Back to you, do you have a college degree?

I do not have a degree.

Lugar
03-22-2018, 07:23 AM
You also state in other threads you have no degree, and recently you said you were hired by a Major? Kinda weird?

I guess that is what some think "Troll"

True, I was hired by Emirates.

bright yellow
03-22-2018, 08:25 AM
As a former EK 777 Capt, I would suggest to stay far far away from EK. Any Legacy Airlines beats EK any day. Even with the new contract of Allegiant or Spirit is hell of a lot better. It's day and night ! STAY AWAY

Laker24
03-22-2018, 08:54 AM
On the flip side you will get to have experiences at Emirates that you will never have at AA. Unfortunately some of those will be chronic fatigue, punitive management, stressful training environment. AA might be boring in comparison but itís a much better job. If you just have 7 years to retirement I would say go to Emirates. If you have 10+ years left then go to AA where you can have a decent work life balance.

Lugar
03-22-2018, 09:18 AM
On the flip side you will get to have experiences at Emirates that you will never have at AA. Unfortunately some of those will be chronic fatigue, punitive management, stressful training environment. AA might be boring in comparison but itís a much better job. If you just have 7 years to retirement I would say go to Emirates. If you have 10+ years left then go to AA where you can have a decent work life balance.

Thanks for the input. My concern is having no degree, what shot do I have at really getting the American job? I donít want to abandon Emirates while I wait for an American offer, only to get a no. Nonetheless, I am certainly going to try the American interview and hope that the timing works out such that I am not already in Dubai by the time I get a potential American offer.

Laker24
03-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Tell Emirates you have to delay your start date. Come up with a good excuse. They need pilots and should work with you.

Mover
03-22-2018, 03:15 PM

Edit to add: if youíre from the states, youíd be insane to go to Emirates over AA.

I wouldn't say it's "even more rarely." 737/320 do a ton of LA/LT trips in the I side of the house.

Are you sure it's not Envoy you're interviewing with?

Lugar
03-22-2018, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't say it's "even more rarely." 737/320 do a ton of LA/LT trips in the I side of the house.

Are you sure it's not Envoy you're interviewing with?

Yes Iím sure. Itís American.

cactusmike
03-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Maybe not a troll post.

I'll throw in that there is a PHL190 Captain that came back from Emirates. He was a 777 Captain.

Emirates has no union, and no protection. You'll work 20 day months, but you'll be on your widebody.

We had one of the PHX guys do the same. 777 captain, came back to F/O on the 320. Ten years seems to be about the limit to handling the abuse in the sandbox. 90 to 100 hours a month long haul loses its appeal quickly. Bunk time doesnít count against monthly limit.

A330FoodCritic
03-22-2018, 06:07 PM

If they offered you an interview you have a good shot, degree or no degree. If they didn't want to hire you they wouldn't waste their time.

Lugar
03-22-2018, 06:16 PM
If they offered you an interview you have a good shot, degree or no degree. If they didn't want to hire you they wouldn't waste their time.

Thatís what I figure too. I canít see them just interviewing for the sake of doing so (quotas, etc)

A330FoodCritic
03-22-2018, 06:20 PM
Go get some interview prep and blow them away.

I wouldn't want to live in middle east, nor work for EK. They did call me for an interview way back when, I thought about it, and said no thanks.

Marlin
03-23-2018, 04:51 AM
if they have called you for the interview , itís yours to lose at this point, degree or not will have zero influence on you getting the job. Relax,be honest , humble, and a sense of humor doesnít hurt either ...best of luck.
Joe
AA 73 Capt ... no degree

Sniper66
03-27-2018, 07:36 AM
I have a job offer with Emirates that I was planning to pursue. My attraction to Emirates includes:

* Flying long haul
* Multiple international destinations to choose from
* Flying the A380 or B777

However, I have just been offered an interview with American. If I do decide to interview there, and if offered the job, can I please get an (guess)estimate of how long before:

* I am flying international routes
* I am at least flying 3+ hour legs (much prefer them over short legs), even if it's only in the B737 or A320. It is possible to get longer flight segments fairly quickly?
* Upgrade (as FO) into the B777 or B787 in LAX or DFW.

Time to upgrade to Captain is not as important to me as anything else listed above.

Your time is much appreciated!

Having thoughts about Emirates or American automatically disqualifies you from holding a pilot medical certificate

Seriously

Sniper66
03-27-2018, 07:40 AM

You do

Why donít you ask them your questions

SMF