Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Jumpseat question

illtake2
03-22-2018, 04:44 PM
Bought 5 seats on a flight, I plan to jumpseat. Do you all oversell seats, does the airbus have 2 jumpseats??? I am going to PIE wondering if I should start early and go to TPA or just stay with the family. I did staff traveler and they said 0 avl and 0 listed. I appreciate and info.

JustWatching
03-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Bought 5 seats on a flight, I plan to jumpseat. Do you all oversell seats, does the airbus have 2 jumpseats??? I am going to PIE wondering if I should start early and go to TPA or just stay with the family. I did staff traveler and they said 0 avl and 0 listed. I appreciate and info.

Flight number and day?

Beretta01
03-22-2018, 05:16 PM

We do not oversell and most of the older 320s have two cockpit jumpseats. Don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if you're curious about the loads.

crxpilot
03-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Very, very rarely is there a jumpseater. Shouldn't be a problem.

9easy
03-22-2018, 06:46 PM
in 3 years or so I've never had a cockpit jumpseater, minus a line check and dispatcher fam flight.

sqwkvfr
03-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Offline pilots can also occupy the spare cabin jumpseat.

grnclvrs
03-23-2018, 12:54 PM
Offline pilots can also occupy the spare cabin jumpseat.

No they can not.

flyingdutchman1
03-23-2018, 01:49 PM
No they can not.

Jumpseat manual 1.1.10, paragraph S, ďAllegiant pilots and other flight deck-elegible personnel may occupy cabin Jumpseatís. Cabin jumpseat policy and personnel eligible to use cabin Jumpseatís can be found in the Flight Attendant Manual (FAM).Ē

According to the flight attendants that I had one day when this come up OAL pilots can occupy our Jumpseat. We made a southwest pilot happy one day.

ysslah
03-23-2018, 02:19 PM
I'm guessing airbuses have an extra cabin jumpseat? MDs have 4 and require 4.

sqwkvfr
03-25-2018, 04:02 AM
No they can not.

You are incorrect. They absolutely can.

j3cub
03-25-2018, 05:27 AM
No they can not.

Yes they can. Does anybody ever call dispatch/customer ops/flight ops management when they question this, or just say no and move on? It's not difficult to get clarification, folks!

rickair7777
03-25-2018, 09:23 AM
You are incorrect. They absolutely can.

It's a matter of company policy, Allegiant can allow it.

But most airlines do not, typically only online pilots can occupy a cabin JS, and some airlines don't allow any pilots to do it.

sqwkvfr
03-26-2018, 08:21 AM
It's a matter of company policy, Allegiant can allow it.

But most airlines do not, typically only online pilots can occupy a cabin JS, and some airlines don't allow any pilots to do it.

Our flight ops management understands that our reciprocal agreement is of limited benefit to many of the airlines with which we have said agreements, so we strive to make the Allegiant jumpseat as much of a ďsure thingĒ as possible. As a result, OAL pilots can ride in the spare cabin jumpseat....provided that they make it through the gauntlet of contract gate agents and crews who donít take the time to understand these things or are just out of practice because jumpseaters are pretty rare for us.

CAirBear
03-26-2018, 10:43 AM
Considering we donít oversell flights and the vast majority have 5-10 open, worrying about Cabin jumpseats is pretty far down the list.

Most all of our older 320s have 2 cockpit jumpseats. Itís been awhile since I flew a 319, but obviously at least one.

When I was LAX based we had a decent amount of jumpseaters from BOI and BIL it seemed. Never had anyone up front with us, as they had a seat in the back.

Iím honestly not even familiar with a cabin jumpseat. Is that an MD-80 thing?

j3cub
03-26-2018, 11:53 AM
Considering we donít oversell flights and the vast majority have 5-10 open, worrying about Cabin jumpseats is pretty far down the list.

Most all of our older 320s have 2 cockpit jumpseats. Itís been awhile since I flew a 319, but obviously at least one.

When I was LAX based we had a decent amount of jumpseaters from BOI and BIL it seemed. Never had anyone up front with us, as they had a seat in the back.

Iím honestly not even familiar with a cabin jumpseat. Is that an MD-80 thing?

No its an Airbus thing. 5 cabinet jumpseats with 4 FAs. So there is always an extra. MD80 has 4 jumpseats and 4 FAs, so it was never usable.

CAirBear
03-26-2018, 07:26 PM
No its an Airbus thing. 5 cabinet jumpseats with 4 FAs. So there is always an extra. MD80 has 4 jumpseats and 4 FAs, so it was never usable.

Good to know. It always humors me that we can be type rated on an airplane, yet not know much about anything behind the door lol.

I love it when FAs will ask about a light that is on etc on one of their call panels/screens and the CA and I just look at eachother 🤷🏼*♂️

tom11011
03-27-2018, 07:22 PM
Offline Airline Pilots cannot sit in a FA jumpseat, that is incorrect.

The Flight Attendant manual lays out who can sit in a FA jumpseat and OAL pilots are not on that list.

tom11011
03-27-2018, 07:25 PM

I am not sure there is an extra FA jumpseat on the new 320s with 186 seats. Two in the front and two in the back.

j3cub
03-28-2018, 03:42 AM
Offline Airline Pilots cannot sit in a FA jumpseat, that is incorrect.

The Flight Attendant manual lays out who can sit in a FA jumpseat and OAL pilots are not on that list.

Last I checked the PIC has a GOM and a JS Manual with no ability to reference the FA Manual. Additionally most of us have a telephone with the ability to phone a member of our leadership team for any clarification.

Or you can just blatantly deny someone without even trying to get then on. Your call.

tom11011
03-28-2018, 07:02 PM
Last I checked the PIC has a GOM and a JS Manual with no ability to reference the FA Manual. Additionally most of us have a telephone with the ability to phone a member of our leadership team for any clarification.

Or you can just blatantly deny someone without even trying to get then on. Your call.

You have full ability to reference a FA manual, its on pubweb for any employee to download.

Jonny Utah
03-28-2018, 08:01 PM
You have full ability to reference a FA manual, its on pubweb for any employee to download.
Per the Bulletin that came out on 3/7 regarding the new jumpseat form OAL pilots can occupy a cabin jumpseat if there are no cabin seats available. Its right there on the form.

CAirBear
03-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Per the Bulletin that came out on 3/7 regarding the new jumpseat form OAL pilots can occupy a cabin jumpseat if there are no cabin seats available. Its right there on the form.

Cool. I canít imagine this would happen more than a couple times a year (maybe even less). I mean we donít oversell and probably close to half our fleet, has 2 cockpit jumpseats, I would feel itís an extreme circumstance to have to actually seat someone in a cabin jumpseat.

Long story short, you donít have to stress too much if your commuting on us. I would say the only time would be our medium sized markets that go into LAS and LAX who, obviously, have bases for most legacies and LCCs. Going to SFB or PIE? Yeah donít even stress about it. Youíll get on.

Thatís one thing I like about us. My first year I used all of my guest passes. Never had an issue with any of them not getting on (or cutting it close).

ShadyMilkman
03-31-2018, 06:24 PM
I'm looking to jumpseat tomorrow on Allegiant 1336 from CVG to AUS.

I've never jumped with Allegiant so I have a question or two.

I'm coming back from a long training period, so I've got a medium sized duffle bag, winter coat, and a laptop in addition to the normal rollerboard and small bag.

I'm consolidating as best I can, but I have to ask: will the extra duffle make jumpseating on Allegiant problematic?

I used to be in tune with J/S etiquette, so I imagine I'll be loading up after all the paying paxóa cumbersome situation if I can't gate check one of my bags.

Any advice or insight?

j3cub
04-01-2018, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it. The crews should show an hour before flight at gate. Try to beat them there and discuss with them.