Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : WIA and job fair ATI/ABX

mukalel
03-22-2018, 06:35 PM
For those who learn about ABX / ATI at job fairs in my opinion don't get your hopes up . ACMI carriers are not career destinations for many reasons

One just has to spend a little time reading past posts on this forum to get a feel for the job.

From weak contracts to no 117 rest rules, lack of scheduling rules and very brutal reserve rules the list is long. Reserve especially at ABX is brutal. Having to sit 12 hours at a time at DHL sort in CVG for 5 hours of pay is not for the faint of heart. And be prepared to do it 5 times in a row.

ABX is constantly loosing lines and new hires can expect to be on reserve for at least 2 years. Company is interested in leasing airplanes to its own competition as opposed to flying their own planes. Its the most buzzard business model you would have ever encountered.

Its an ever shrinking airline with no upgrade in sight. Prepare to be an FO for at least 5 years or more and if the company is still around, you might upgrade; that too not because its growing but because all the legacy guys start to retire.

I have to say that you get constantly harassed by your own CEO and creates the most toxic work environment i have ever worked in.

The pay and retirement is very weak compared to the rest of the industry now that kalitta has a contract and omni will soon have one. The only benefit is if you live in CVG area you will get a better quality of life and maybe some extra days at home.

And commuters: be prepared to go thru security commuting. In this world where even small 135 operators have KCM, abx still does not. The company is so cheap they hold KCM as a carrot in negotiations.

I would not believe any thing management has told the people who attended Women in Aviation conference. They could barely get a class of 4 started this month.

Please do yourself a favor and do not go to ABX or ATI and support the whipsaw orchestrated by ATSG. After the new leadership took over ABX, things have gone from bad to worse. I regret to say that working for any ATSG entity is an embarrassment.

johnny150
03-22-2018, 06:56 PM
Very well said!!! I couldn’t agree more! We are getting the beat down, and there is no sign of it stoping anytime soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hackerbyday
03-22-2018, 07:31 PM
For those who learn about ABX / ATI at job fairs in my opinion don't get your hopes up . ACMI carriers are not career destinations for many reasons

One just has to spend a little time reading past posts on this forum to get a feel for the job.

It doesn’t take a lot of smarts to understand that mukalel didn’t do his homework before coming to ABX.

ACMI flying is not for everyone. Although we keep hearing everyone is hiring its still not easy to find or get the job of your dreams or else this individual wouldn’t be here still after almost 2 years. Consider everything, do your research, and best of luck regardless of where you go.

boiler
03-22-2018, 07:37 PM
It doesn’t take a lot of smarts to understand that mukalel didn’t do his homework before coming to ABX.

If you’re who I think you are, congrats on getting your check airman job. I guess they like company men.

midnightshuttle
03-22-2018, 07:53 PM
If you’re who I think you are, congrats on getting your check airman job. I guess they like company men.

ATI Check Airman who cant pass thier own PC remain check airman. Ethical to post names dates events?

If you make comments against the contract you will lose your letter or your desk.

mukalel
03-22-2018, 09:27 PM

ACMI flying is not for everyone. Although we keep hearing everyone is hiring its still not easy to find or get the job of your dreams or else this individual wouldn’t be here still after almost 2 years. Consider everything, do your research, and best of luck regardless of where you go.

When you have been furloughed twice and get sucked into a system where pic time is what holds you back, come talk to me.. i have gotten calls from premiere airlines around the world and gave it up to be here in the states.. i came here because i saw an opportunity where i could get what i want but yet again with bad luck a change in management swept it all away.. i still see a bright future for abx but if and only if there is a complete change in management..

Hang10
03-23-2018, 02:29 AM
I have been here over 20 years and no closer to upgrade now then when a new hire! Maybe am 4-6 years away from it now! So not upgrades with the down sizing! The end is near!!!!

mukalel
03-23-2018, 07:05 AM
I have been here over 20 years and no closer to upgrade now then when a new hire! Maybe am 4-6 years away from it now! So not upgrades with the down sizing! The end is near!!!!
Believe me Hang10... its crazy how a lot of F/O at ABX will retire before they could even upgrade. Its a sad situation. It was I guess more bearable as the company well and things were ok and and a best kept secret as a lot of guys say.. They had similar situations at all the legacies before the massive retirement started to kick in. But i gotta say that ABX is not Airborne Express. People came here purely because of growth that started to happen and it payed better than any other ACMi out there.. Obviously not anymore.. plus the added fact that half of more of our legacy guys were going to be retiring in 5 years or so. So the logic was people who needed more credentials to move on to a legacg could hang out here and wait for upgrades and heavy Pic experience ... you would upgrade sooner or later either due to retirements or grown .. hence it was a safe bet for people seeking heavy pic international experience and a safe place to hangout for a long time if back luck struck again like it happened to me.. noone has a crystal ball and people make descisions based on the information available to them at any given moment and based on the severity and time critical value of the situation.. I think the best thing potential applicants can do is not to come to abx and feed the crapshow that goes on here now... i would encourage each and everyone to reconsider abx after it become the "once great airline" that it was... until then there are far better stable and finacially well off options to choose from ....

maxjet
03-23-2018, 07:37 AM

Kalitta’s hiring😀

sherpster
03-23-2018, 08:54 AM
I left and wished i had went to a regional instead abx

Brokenwind
03-23-2018, 09:10 AM
Lots of shattered dreams and broken careers at ABX. It's my opinion that JH is sizing ABX to suit an agenda only he and his closest are privvy to...

point432
03-23-2018, 10:57 AM

There really wasn’t any good info on this place other than rumors of growth and one instance of furloughs heard from a friend. I’m sure most tried to do their homework and to say that Mukalel or any other didn’t...you’d have a better chance guessing what an 8 ball is gonna say next. No one still knows who ABX is and i’m sure a lot of guests to WIA will be wondering the same.

Lugar
03-23-2018, 11:19 AM
Kalitta’s hiring😀

$600 per week during training is a joke. And I have told Connie the same.

Twin Wasp
03-23-2018, 01:23 PM

It's more than Atlas pays.

Industry Strnd
03-23-2018, 01:31 PM
It's safe to say anyone thinking of any ACMI carrier when there are so many other options with better pay, workrules, and retirement the other options areally better! Even with omni and ATI new deals they are far behind legacy and national carriers in all aspects! And some may say just leave then. ......we are!

GraceMonth
03-23-2018, 03:28 PM
If the phone would ring for all of us, I’m sure very few would turn down an interview at a legacy. The truth is that our phones aren’t ringing for interview invites to the legacies, and the option to “just go somewhere else” (ie. to a legacy) isn’t actually an option. Why does everyone assume all we have to do is decide “oh, I’d rather work for a legacy, I’ll just apply and work there?” It doesn’t work that way for me. But maybe I’m doing it wrong....

WacoQCF
03-26-2018, 01:13 AM
Truth: Atlas is NOT hiring!

I have photo evidence posted by the 1224 from WIA 2018. Atlas can’t recruit anyone anymore, even these eager young regional pilots were giving Atlas the cold shoulder. Atlas had an empty recruiting table for 3 days of the conference.

The word is on the street finally that you are better off getting your 1000 hours TPIC at your regional...and you will get better pay while doing it.

Pay: Atlas FO will make $48k 1st year, $74k 2nd year; and 5 year Captains are barely making $100k. Less in the 767. With no pay protection/line guarantee most pilots make only guarantee.

No Land 3
03-26-2018, 01:33 AM

Pretty short sighted considering I grossed over 130k my first year at Kalitta with less than 10 days of overtime for the year. Actually less than 5 days, just looked it up. But you let that training pay stop you!

gollum
03-26-2018, 03:18 AM
Pretty short sighted considering I grossed over 130k my first year at Kalitta with less than 10 days of overtime for the year. Actually less than 5 days, just looked it up. But you let that training pay stop you!

Agreed... but please don’t feed the troll. If you haven’t figured it out... Lugar likes to throw bait out there and see what “fishy” bites. Last time it was Maxjet who swallowed the line all the way up to the bobber.

Boris Badenov
03-26-2018, 04:18 AM
Wait are you suggesting that he is NOT close personal friends with Connie? But he said he was on an internet message board.

hackerbyday
03-27-2018, 05:44 AM

You’ll have to guess again SP. And to diss a fellow crewmember at the same time, poor play.

boiler
03-27-2018, 08:52 AM
You’ll have to guess again SP. And to diss a fellow crewmember at the same time, poor play.

Every comment you have made about 151s has been a diss to those fellow crewmembers. Hello pot...

I guess we are both off on our guessing game.

Industry Strnd
04-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Ups and FedEx type flying but ..waaaayyy less pay!

Heard ATI has several interviewing elsewhere even after the new contract! ABX can't fill classes.

The hiring boom is just getting started and ATSG / Atlas ...they don't have a plan to stop the loss of pilots and attract replacements!

vroll1800
04-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Ups and FedEx type flying but ..waaaayyy less pay!

Heard ATI has several interviewing elsewhere even after the new contract! ABX can't fill classes.

The hiring boom is just getting started and ATSG / Atlas ...they don't have a plan to stop the loss of pilots and attract replacements!

Sadly, both managements still think it is 2009 - 2011 wrt to pilot supply.

303flyboy
04-05-2018, 06:37 PM
You know what, I am not buying that. They do know better just trying to delay admitting it much as possible..