Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : GI Bill and RTP

Big Windy
03-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Has anyone successfully used their GI Bill while attending one of the accelerated flight schools? It looks as though you can use your GI Bill for ratings above a PPL but most programs I've seen want you to do it in conjunction with a degree-granting school. I already have the degree, I am simply looking to knock out my 250 fixed wing hours as quickly as possible, get my ratings, and have the GI Bill cover some of the cost. Has anyone had experience with this?

ArmyRWP2018
03-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Has anyone successfully used their GI Bill while attending one of the accelerated flight schools? It looks as though you can use your GI Bill for ratings above a PPL but most programs I've seen want you to do it in conjunction with a degree-granting school. I already have the degree, I am simply looking to knock out my 250 fixed wing hours as quickly as possible, get my ratings, and have the GI Bill cover some of the cost. Has anyone had experience with this?

Check out Infinity Flight Group.

UALcaptain
03-26-2018, 03:22 AM
These sites have a huge amount of the information you are after ...
On Facebook: "RTAG" and "Rebel Scum"

Kawrider
03-26-2018, 04:10 AM
If you have post 911 GI bill you can do it. Just because you have a bachelors degree, doesnít mean you canít use GI bill towards another. And just because you are in a degree producing program, taking flying classes as part of the program, it doesnít mean you HAVE to finish that degree. Iím doing it, and itís awesome. One of the best benefits we have.

Tx Paratroopr
03-26-2018, 07:35 AM
So ive actually attended and graduated from a 141 college program. The program I went through was an associates so it was nice having it condensed rather than doing it in a 4 year. However if you just want to use your ch33 benefits to going to a 141 flight program with out the degree you can do that as well. However your only allowed to draw the max yearly tuition vs whatever the degree program pays out hourly wise(35 for instrument,120 i believe for commercial i believe). The added benefit of going through a college is the BAH if you want some extra money as well.(for dfw its about $1900 a month)

Han Solo
03-28-2018, 01:45 PM
Think long term on this. I am using my Post 911 GI Bill to send my daughter to SCAD. Planned tuition, fees, room, and board totals over $52k/year. With Yellow Ribbon my out of pocket costs will be limited to however much room and board exceeds the BAQ for Savannah GA + other incidentals. I'm so glad I didn't use a single month of that entitlement on my ATP.

Synixman
03-28-2018, 03:04 PM
Think long term on this. I am using my Post 911 GI Bill to send my daughter to SCAD. Planned tuition, fees, room, and board totals over $52k/year. With Yellow Ribbon my out of pocket costs will be limited to however much room and board exceeds the BAQ for Savannah GA + other incidentals. I'm so glad I didn't use a single month of that entitlement on my ATP.

Fair point, but not all of us have kids at the moment.

*break break*

To the OP, not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you looking to do your own RTP to get 250 FW hours with some of your GI Bill? Or asking whether or not the RTP programs use some of your GI Bill? To the latter question, I believe most of the programs will ask that you use the GI Bill benefits to get the ratings, then they cover the time building flights to get you to 250FW and 25 MEFW and make you ATP Eligible. I'd read up on the specifics of any program your applying for obviously. Some carry a training contract or the money spent comes out of your bonuses.

Han Solo
03-29-2018, 02:00 AM

That's why I said think long term. If you're getting out before you have kids and can't legally transfer the benefit or just know you'll never have kids then point taken. If you can swing the cost of your ticket right now and can legally transfer the benefit for a future college education, that might be the better financial plan. Now, if transferring the benefit is the difference between getting out NOW and being stuck for 4 years, then you're into a completely different set of circumstances which would likely make the transfer very unappealing.

Fenderbean
04-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Hi Han, I lived in Savannah for awhile and actually got my fixed wing cert there. To answer your question you can use both GI Bill and Post 9/11 for the certs not the initial. Im stationed at Fort Hood and a fellow pilot just started his training using the rest of his Post 9/11. With post 9/11 they can do a one time yearly draw from your account to pay for the training and the GI bill only covers 90%. Its around 13k per year you can draw which is more than enough for us rotor guys to get our certifications. There is a form you must fill out and send into VA for approval. I plan to do the same but cannot start till this fall due to deployment. Hope this helps

aeroengineer
04-02-2018, 08:03 PM

*break break*

To the OP, not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you looking to do your own RTP to get 250 FW hours with some of your GI Bill? Or asking whether or not the RTP programs use some of your GI Bill? To the latter question, I believe most of the programs will ask that you use the GI Bill benefits to get the ratings, then they cover the time building flights to get you to 250FW and 25 MEFW and make you ATP Eligible. I'd read up on the specifics of any program your applying for obviously. Some carry a training contract or the money spent comes out of your bonuses.

I got my ME Rating not long ago using Post 9/11. I still have a 6-7k or so left. Any way I can use it to fund up to the 25 (or more) ME-FW that are a defacto requirement with many operations? Never thought to ask back when I was getting the rating.

rickair7777
04-03-2018, 06:42 AM
I got my ME Rating not long ago using Post 9/11. I still have a 6-7k or so left. Any way I can use it to fund up to the 25 (or more) ME-FW that are a defacto requirement with many operations? Never thought to ask back when I was getting the rating.

You can't use it just to buy time.

But if you can find an VA-approved course, you can take the course. In the past some schools would structure certain courses to maximize ME time (ie a type rating course in an airplane instead of a sim). Turboprop or light jet type rating might be an option.

Also AMES.

Fenderbean
04-03-2018, 01:27 PM
That is true the school has to have a VA approved certification course. Like me, im getting my Instrument and commercial with ME done. Once thats achieved its on my dime to get the rest of the 250 fixed pic and 25 hour ME

aeroengineer
04-03-2018, 03:23 PM
You can't use it just to buy time.

But if you can find an VA-approved course, you can take the course. In the past some schools would structure certain courses to maximize ME time (ie a type rating course in an airplane instead of a sim). Turboprop or light jet type rating might be an option.

Also AMES.

I figured as much and I'm not really surprised. I suspect if I had the requisite hours and other requirements for an ATP it might be feasible as part of an ATP course. I hadn't considered a type rating as a possibility but I'm sure I would eat through 7k pretty quickly flying a multi-turboprop like a King Air. I'm well over 250PIC..just need the multi to be competitive.

Big Windy
04-04-2018, 05:53 AM
To the OP, not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you looking to do your own RTP to get 250 FW hours with some of your GI Bill? Or asking whether or not the RTP programs use some of your GI Bill?

Was looking at some regionals (TSA for one) that allow you to choose your own 141 school. Some schools I see are eligible for the GI Bill but are in conjunction with a degree and take anywhere from a year or two to complete and you graduate with a degree, a few certs, and maybe a couple hundred hours. I do not want to take that long.

I was wondering if I could do one of the accelerated schools like Skywarrior or Bountiful Flight to name a few, or choose my own, and knock out the 250 hours in 3-4 months while having the GI Bill cover some portion of it.

It looks like some people have already provided some good info so thanks to all who replied and good thought on potentially saving that $ for my kid. Not sure I want the ADSO, but it gives me something to think about.

Fenderbean
04-04-2018, 07:32 AM
Was looking at some regionals (TSA for one) that allow you to choose your own 141 school. Some schools I see are eligible for the GI Bill but are in conjunction with a degree and take anywhere from a year or two to complete and you graduate with a degree, a few certs, and maybe a couple hundred hours. I do not want to take that long.

I was wondering if I could do one of the accelerated schools like Skywarrior or Bountiful Flight to name a few, or choose my own, and knock out the 250 hours in 3-4 months while having the GI Bill cover some portion of it.

It looks like some people have already provided some good info so thanks to all who replied and good thought on potentially saving that $ for my kid. Not sure I want the ADSO, but it gives me something to think about.
Gi bill will only cover 60% post 9/11 is what you want to use. Any place you go it has to be under some time of certificate completion.

paulpedals
04-05-2018, 05:37 PM
I just finished piedmontís RTP in 3 months with no gi bill, and no out of pocket. I had 22 hours FW PIC and no ratings when I started.

Food for thought.

Big Windy
04-07-2018, 08:10 AM
I just finished piedmontís RTP in 3 months with no gi bill, and no out of pocket. I had 22 hours FW PIC and no ratings when I started.

Food for thought.

Whoa. How much did that end up costing?! I thought Piedmont only paid like 17k for ratings.

Fenderbean
04-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Update on the GI bill, I just filled out my 22-1990 form to convert my GI bill to the post 9/11, its pretty easy and I am currently waiting on the letter I need to give to the school. You can go to VA benefits website and look under vocational flight training, when you fill out the form online you enter the school name if they are approved it will show up in the drop down menu.
The letter im waiting on allows the school to draw one years work $13200 from my post 9/11 GI bill per year. This resets in July I think so im trying to get this years done so i can pull the full amount. The program runs you through your commercial fixed and ME

note if you have used some of your GI bill already the form you fill out is the 22-1995
Cheers hope this helps

BeatNavy
04-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Update on the GI bill, I just filled out my 22-1990 form to convert my GI bill to the post 9/11, its pretty easy and I am currently waiting on the letter I need to give to the school. You can go to VA benefits website and look under vocational flight training, when you fill out the form online you enter the school name if they are approved it will show up in the drop down menu.
The letter im waiting on allows the school to draw one years work $13200 from my post 9/11 GI bill per year. This resets in July I think so im trying to get this years done so i can pull the full amount. The program runs you through your commercial fixed and ME

note if you have used some of your GI bill already the form you fill out is the 22-1995
Cheers hope this helps

I used 3 of my 36 post 9/11 months for $50k in flight training, half of which never got used and is sitting in a flight account at a yellow ribbon aviation university. There are much better ways to use GI bill than the vocational flight training FYSA.

Fenderbean
04-11-2018, 03:12 PM
I used 3 of my 36 post 9/11 months for $50k in flight training, half of which never got used and is sitting in a flight account at a yellow ribbon aviation university. There are much better ways to use GI bill than the vocational flight training FYSA.
Not sure how you accomplished this a lot of folks currently in the Army flying and about to transition doing the same. I haven't heard of anything better, unless you travel longer distances for an actual aviation college.
I could easily go to central texas college full time after I retire and do their program which is a two year program and spend that much. The vocational route cuts out all the crap classes I would have had to taken and it goes toward the commercial SE/ME

BeatNavy
04-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Not sure how you accomplished this a lot of folks currently in the Army flying and about to transition doing the same. I haven't heard of anything better, unless you travel longer distances for an actual aviation college.
I could easily go to central texas college full time after I retire and do their program which is a two year program and spend that much. The vocational route cuts out all the crap classes I would have had to taken and it goes toward the commercial SE/ME

Despite already having a degree, I enrolled in an aviation university for a BS in professional aviation or something like that. But the only classes I enrolled in were flight labsóno real classes. A bunch of us at Riley did it at a nearby school while we were active duty a few years ago. They had full time GI bill students as well, but we just knocked out our add-on ratings real quick on weekends and at night and were done. I took 3 check rides (inst/comm single/multi) in a 2 month period. Guys with no prior FW time took a little longer, but were funded to get 250 airplane PIC hours (so almost 300 total). After some GI Bill/yellow ribbon abuse by a few schools (namely the helicopter training schools doing primary training in a 206), the VA clamped down a little on the programs (only allow flight hours that are within syllabus for example) but as far as I know, these programs are still alive and well at many places. One of my broís who did that with me and flew at my bottom feeder regional used another 8 months of his GI bill to attend school in San Fran one day a week, doing the rest online, for some BS classes, just to get San Fran BAH, which paid twice as much as his first year regional pay.

Thereís good stuff out there. Some of the VA/GI bill counselors know about it, some donít. I didnít believe my broís when they told me what they were doing until I drove to the school and talked to the guy in charge of the flight program who was well versed in the GI Bill, as half his students were GI bill guys.

Fenderbean
04-12-2018, 05:48 AM
Thanks that makes a bit more sense and what I'm doing is essentially the same thing, the money I'm using is directly going to pay for the inst/comm SE/ME and I since I have 15 months till retirement I was thinking about doing CFI, the owner of the flight school and I were talking about this. This was while I'm on active I can work nights and weekends and finish up the rest of that 250 pic fixed requirement.

Kawrider
04-12-2018, 06:39 AM

Yes... use it as part of a part 141 MEI course (I imagine you could skip SE instructor? not too sure about that?).

Kawrider
04-12-2018, 06:44 AM
That is true the school has to have a VA approved certification course. Like me, im getting my Instrument and commercial with ME done. Once thats achieved its on my dime to get the rest of the 250 fixed pic and 25 hour ME Yeah but you can use the GI bill towards your Instructor ratings, single and multi-engine. With Part 141 syllabus, you probably will get MOST of the time paid for by GI bill. Also remember after 15 years in a major (if your young enough). spending a few bucks on flying NOW to make a LOT of money LATER will be 100% worth it.

Kawrider
04-12-2018, 06:46 AM
Despite already having a degree, I enrolled in an aviation university for a BS in professional aviation or something like that. But the only classes I enrolled in were flight labsóno real classes. A bunch of us at Riley did it at a nearby school while we were active duty a few years ago. They had full time GI bill students as well, but we just knocked out our add-on ratings real quick on weekends and at night and were done. I took 3 check rides (inst/comm single/multi) in a 2 month period. Guys with no prior FW time took a little longer, but were funded to get 250 airplane PIC hours (so almost 300 total). After some GI Bill/yellow ribbon abuse by a few schools (namely the helicopter training schools doing primary training in a 206), the VA clamped down a little on the programs (only allow flight hours that are within syllabus for example) but as far as I know, these programs are still alive and well at many places. One of my broís who did that with me and flew at my bottom feeder regional used another 8 months of his GI bill to attend school in San Fran one day a week, doing the rest online, for some BS classes, just to get San Fran BAH, which paid twice as much as his first year regional pay.

Thereís good stuff out there. Some of the VA/GI bill counselors know about it, some donít. I didnít believe my broís when they told me what they were doing until I drove to the school and talked to the guy in charge of the flight program who was well versed in the GI Bill, as half his students were GI bill guys.

You are right 100%. GI Bill part 141 school flying through a yellow ribbon program school is awesome.

rickair7777
04-12-2018, 06:47 AM
Yes... use it as part of a part 141 MEI course (I imagine you could skip SE instructor? not too sure about that?).

Yes, your initial CFI rating can be any of them, does not have to be ASEL.

Fenderbean
04-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Yeah but you can use the GI bill towards your Instructor ratings, single and multi-engine. With Part 141 syllabus, you probably will get MOST of the time paid for by GI bill. Also remember after 15 years in a major (if your young enough). spending a few bucks on flying NOW to make a LOT of money LATER will be 100% worth it.
Thats what im saying, this particular is for my Commercial SE/ME but I have considered grabbing my CFI so I can work while I build time