Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Hire Information

Tigflt17
03-25-2018, 03:10 PM
A few questions for a potential new hire:

1. How is base seniority looking like, as far as junior FO base/new hire base? Also most junior captain?

2. Current reserve length?

3. When do you do the United CPP items, such as Hogan and interview?

4. Could not find it anywhere, but commuter policy?

5. Insurance monthly for Employee + spouse?

6. Training length? Location? Do people tend to go home any?

Thanks in advance for the information

YerOnGuard
03-27-2018, 06:11 AM
Iím hoping to have some of these questions answered too. It seems like Air Wisconsin is leading the pack for the regionals Iím considering.

BFMthisA10
03-27-2018, 06:59 AM
A few questions for a potential new hire:
Some questions skipped/I have no idea/I'm no help.
1. How is base seniority looking like, as far as junior FO base/new hire base? Also most junior captain? MKE-ORD-IAD, junior to senior. Very. Sizeable chunk of the MKE & ORD Reserve FO benches is still pre-IOE; that junior. Sizeable chunk of the IAD FO line should be studying for likely CA upgrades; that senior. Also, movement will be possible as things progress, or that's the hope at least. If memory serves, CA is just under 3 years for our latest batch, falling fast.
2. Current reserve length? Depends on where we're talking. Related to #1 above, MKE you could potentially have a line before you finish IOE. IAD will likely take a while.
4. Could not find it anywhere, but commuter policy? Two options, second of which has to arrive >30min prior to show time. For MKE that means night prior, with few exceptions.
6. Training length? Location? Do people tend to go home any? Working through the holiday bottleneck, so timeline is arcing its way down from a 4 month high. Should be 2.5 months if everything clicks. One or two jumped on a flight out of ATW for the weekend, but further than one leg out is a risky bet. Drivers went home if they were within a couple of hours. So, no, going away for the weekend is not verboten or too risky, unless you plan poorly.
Thanks in advance for the information
If you're a potential new hire (have a CJO), reachback to your recruiter. Even if they don't have the answer, they know who does. They might be willing to put you in touch with a pilot.

mrpaulie
03-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Insurance for employee and spouse is between $300 and $390 monthly with varying levels of coverage, and up to $60 in discounts for using the wellness program.

RabidW0mbat
03-27-2018, 12:27 PM
I'm hearing MKE is jr, followed by ORD. How long to hold ORD out of training?

Also hearing Sims are backed up, any truth there?

StrykerB21
03-27-2018, 05:18 PM
I'm hearing MKE is jr, followed by ORD. How long to hold ORD out of training?

Also hearing Sims are backed up, any truth there?

Expect to hold a line in ORD within a few months. Sims were backed up a bit due to the holidays but things are on track now. There shouldn't be any training delays.

CAsFiled
03-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Expect to hold a line in ORD within a few months. Sims were backed up a bit due to the holidays but things are on track now. There shouldn't be any training delays.

Any MKE time-to-line info?

bradthepilot
03-27-2018, 06:16 PM
How often do you overnight at your domicile (when on reserve or when holding a line)?

And anyone else's CRJ interview study have just a blank page where page 4 should be?

Rcordeiro122592
03-29-2018, 03:12 AM
Are you required to pay the bonuses back if you leave within a certain amount of time?

T28driver
03-29-2018, 05:25 AM
Any MKE time-to-line info?

Currently 0-1 month (4-5 months on property). after finishing IOE. That may change, but probably not for a while.

ORD lineholder is currently about 8 months on property.

IAD lineholder is considerably longer.

All reserves are flying, most of them every day. Many of our pilots commuting to reserve lines are not getting crashpads at the moment because at most they are having to use 2-3 hotel rooms a month.

T28driver
03-29-2018, 05:28 AM
How often do you overnight at your domicile (when on reserve or when holding a line)?

And anyone else's CRJ interview study have just a blank page where page 4 should be?

Reserve: depends on utilization. Right now, probably not very often. Everyone is flying, in many cases more than they want to. Even ready reserves are getting used on overnights regularly.

When holding a line you will not overnight in your domicile on a trip unless you have a cancellation or re-route. If that happens after check in, the company is required to provide you a hotel.

T28driver
03-29-2018, 05:30 AM
Are you required to pay the bonuses back if you leave within a certain amount of time?

Yes. Full amount if you leave before one year. Itís pro-rated every month after that and considered ďearnedĒ at the 2 year mark.

Rcordeiro122592
03-29-2018, 05:35 AM
Yes. Full amount if you leave before one year. Itís pro-rated every month after that and considered ďearnedĒ at the 2 year mark.

Thank you!

Would you happen to know if there is a faster upgrade for someone going in with 1000 hours of 135 Commuter PIC time that counts towards the 1000 hours of 121 SIC time?

BFMthisA10
03-29-2018, 06:17 AM
Thank you!

Would you happen to know if there is a faster upgrade for someone going in with 1000 hours of 135 Commuter PIC time that counts towards the 1000 hours of 121 SIC time?
Short answer: elsewhere.

Details: for the moment, ZW is not hiring "street captains". This is due to myriad reasons, not the least of which is that the bench of 1000+ hr FO's here is plenty deep at the moment.

diverdriver2
03-29-2018, 06:39 AM
New vacancy out. 8 new CA positions and no backfill so that means it could be 8 or more actual upgrades.

FO positions in MKE and ORD. None in IAD this time around. And everything changes. The proposed staffing date for this vacancy is June 1. Lots of time for other positions to open down the road. (Not a guarantee just nature of the beast.)

Training footprint is 2 weeks indoc. 2 weeks systems. 5 days of CPT (cockpit procedure training). 10 SIMs (8 sessions, checkride and a LOFT). You CAN finish in two trips IOE but don't worry if you don't. I would say 4-5-6 is the normal range now for finishing IOE.

Hope that helps.

T28driver
03-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Thank you!

A10 is correct. You will not get a faster upgrade at this time by coming here “street captain” qualified. My personal projections have me eligible for upgrade November/December of this year based on seniority, I was a July 2017 hire.

Now excuse me while I go put on my fire proof clothing for the flaming I’m about to receive for suggesting that upgrade time might drop below 2 years.

MerlionPilot
03-29-2018, 09:52 AM
Another new hire question, thanks in advance. I'm starting class in a couple of weeks. Can anyone give me an idea of what the lines out of MKE look like? Do you just chug back and forth to ORD all day or do you actually go somewhere? Thanks again.

T28driver
03-29-2018, 11:14 AM
Another new hire question, thanks in advance. I'm starting class in a couple of weeks. Can anyone give me an idea of what the lines out of MKE look like? Do you just chug back and forth to ORD all day or do you actually go somewhere? Thanks again.

Hereís a random paring from the April lines, thereís obviously some variety but this is fairly typical for MKE

Day 1:
0621 Report
MKE-ORD
ORD-XNA
XBA-ORD
ORD-PVD
1735 Release

Day 2:
0630 Report
PVD-ORD
ORD-ATW
1139 Release

Day 3:
0705 Report
ATW-ORD
ORD-LNK
LNK-ORD
ORD-CAK
2047 Release

Day 4:
1330 Report
CAK-ORD
ORD-SGF
SGF-ORD
ORD-MKE
2331 Release

DarkSideMoon
03-29-2018, 01:35 PM

Super early day ones, super late day fours, not just MKE-ORD shuttle.

squib
03-29-2018, 07:30 PM
A10 is correct. You will not get a faster upgrade at this time by coming here “street captain” qualified. My personal projections have me eligible for upgrade November/December of this year based on seniority, I was a July 2017 hire.

Now excuse me while I go put on my fire proof clothing for the flaming I’m about to receive for suggesting that upgrade time might drop below 2 years.

Hope you're geared up because you wont see an upgrade before 2 years. You will get continual junior man calls and ACARS messages in the meantime.

MerlionPilot
04-01-2018, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the info T28Driver and DarkSideMoon.

Name User
04-02-2018, 06:34 AM
Hereís a random paring from the April lines, thereís obviously some variety but this is fairly typical for MKE

Day 1:
0621 Report
MKE-ORD
ORD-XNA
XBA-ORD
ORD-PVD
1735 Release

Day 2:
0630 Report
PVD-ORD
ORD-ATW
1139 Release

Day 3:
0705 Report
ATW-ORD
ORD-LNK
LNK-ORD
ORD-CAK
2047 Release

Day 4:
1330 Report
CAK-ORD
ORD-SGF
SGF-ORD
ORD-MKE
2331 Release

Wow that is brutal

Voski
04-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Theyíre advertising an 18-24 month upgrade at pilot job fairs ó is that number a solid forecast or is that just a pipe dream?

T28driver
04-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Theyíre advertising an 18-24 month upgrade at pilot job fairs ó is that number a solid forecast or is that just a pipe dream?

It depends on who you ask, and what you are willing to accept as far as bases go for the upgrade.

I say itís realistic and I expect to upgrade in less than 18 months, probably as a reserve captain in MKE.

Squib will tell you that Iím an ignorant koolaid drinking idiot that will never upgrade in less than 24 months.

Iím pretty sure my math is right, but itís a projection. It wonít be fact until Iím sitting in the left seat after passing a fed ride.

diverdriver2
04-06-2018, 01:06 PM

We're about at the 13 month mark since they started advertising it. I do think it's possible to see upgrades in MKE reserve in that range.

Last award just posted. Upgrade in 2 years 11 months. Getting closer.

stroopwaffle
04-06-2018, 02:36 PM
I counted on my fingers 8 upgrades on this last vacancy result.

StrykerB21
04-06-2018, 04:00 PM
We're about at the 13 month mark since they started advertising it. I do think it's possible to see upgrades in MKE reserve in that range.

Last award just posted. Upgrade in 2 years 11 months. Getting closer.

Theres a sizable gap between this last batch of upgrades and the next real newhire class. I think once all the 3 year people upgrade, then upgrades will fall within the 18 to 24 month projection.

squib
04-07-2018, 06:09 AM
It depends on who you ask, and what you are willing to accept as far as bases go for the upgrade.

I say it’s realistic and I expect to upgrade in less than 18 months, probably as a reserve captain in MKE.

Squib will tell you that I’m an ignorant koolaid drinking idiot that will never upgrade in less than 24 months.

I’m pretty sure my math is right, but it’s a projection. It won’t be fact until I’m sitting in the left seat after passing a fed ride.

I never said ignorant or idiot. But if that's your perception of yourself...

Noleone
04-16-2018, 04:33 AM
On a trip like the one posted above, would the trip/duty rigs come into play? If someone could post the block credit and what you would credit with your current rigs, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

lukeh99
04-16-2018, 09:01 AM
On a trip like the one posted above, would the trip/duty rigs come into play? If someone could post the block credit and what you would credit with your current rigs, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

This trip pays 22.4 hours at a minimum due to trip rig. The time away from base is 89.5 hours. It's hard to say if the rig comes into play without seeing the actual block hours of each leg, but the point is that you could have 15 hours of block on this trip and still be guaranteed at least 22.4 hours of pay.

Noleone
04-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Great info. Thanks Lukeh99

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1