Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Letters of Recommendation

cbrpilot
03-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Working on compiling a fair amount of letters of recommendation lately. More often than not I'm hearing that I should write it myself and send to the recommender for a sign off. Seems odd. I came from the oil and gas industry and if you were caught doing that, the letter would likely just get shredded and your chance of landing the job would be nil.

Is this common practice in our industry? The entire idea behind the LOR is for the person writing to put a personal touch and personal viewpoint on the attributes of the recommendee. That said, if it's normal to write your own and have the other party sign off on it, could someone give me an example of one they have on hand? I've never written a LOR for anyone and would appreciate seeing one that is tailored to our industry. TIA.

Seaplane
03-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Working on compiling a fair amount of letters of recommendation lately. More often than not I'm hearing that I should write it myself and send to the recommender for a sign off. Seems odd. I came from the oil and gas industry and if you were caught doing that, the letter would likely just get shredded and your chance of landing the job would be nil.

Is this common practice in our industry? The entire idea behind the LOR is for the person writing to put a personal touch and personal viewpoint on the attributes of the recommendee. That said, if it's normal to write your own and have the other party sign off on it, could someone give me an example of one they have on hand? I've never written a LOR for anyone and would appreciate seeing one that is tailored to our industry. TIA.

Youre trying to compile LORs to come to Envoy?.....Im confused

cbrpilot
03-26-2018, 10:31 AM
Youre trying to compile LORs to come to Envoy?.....Im confused

No, you only need a pulse to work where we work. I'm gathering them to leave.

AHTTD
03-26-2018, 03:51 PM
More often than not I'm hearing that I should write it myself and send to the recommender for a sign off.

Very common in military (at least Navy) circles. Send them a rough and a resume. They can edit and then send it in ...

Excargodog
03-26-2018, 04:35 PM
Very common in military (at least Navy) circles. Send them a rough and a resume. They can edit and then send it in ...

At a minimum, give them bullet points they can use to flesh out a letter of recommendation as well as a copy of the resume you are going to be using for your application.

I would t actually write a draft for the other guy personally, although Ive been given ones by people I offered to write recommendations for.

Inop2
03-26-2018, 05:54 PM

Very common everywhere including outside aviation. Its just how things are done. Just expedites the turnaround time.

pitchattitude
03-26-2018, 09:09 PM
The best thing to do is ask the person what they want. Some guys like doing them, some guys would like to do them, but are terrified of saying something wrong.

Would you write me a LOR? Would you like me to put something together for you?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1