Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Hire me!!!!

Riverside
03-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Let's spread the word and get this kid hired.

https://www.southwestpleasehire.me/about-me

2strokin
03-26-2018, 11:22 AM
I’m guessing he just screwed himself.

RJSAviator76
03-26-2018, 11:30 AM
I’m guessing he just screwed himself.

Why?

Filler...

NikeBuddy
03-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Seems like a cool cat to me, go get 'em!

Lugar
03-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Let's spread the word and get this kid hired.

Not Southwest material.

BarrySeal
03-26-2018, 12:02 PM
Hey give credit where credit is due. He is using "non-standard" practices to get noticed. Good luck to him

Beaver Hunter
03-26-2018, 12:11 PM
The kid has spunk. Good for him. He didn’t mention if he was good at short field or hard landings. Two very important qualities of a WN pilot 😊

WHACKMASTER
03-26-2018, 12:13 PM
I’m still wondering if the guy who showed up to interview in Bermuda shorts ever got hired. Anyone?

Riverside
03-26-2018, 12:13 PM
I remember a video a few years back, where a pilot tried to get on with VX. Not sure if it worked for him.

bruhaha
03-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Definitely different,

His resume on his website and as a separate attachment says he holds an ATP and a Commercial Multi-Engine Land.

I don't think you can hold an ATP Multiengine Land and a Commercial Multiengine Land at the same time. The ATP supersedes the Commercial.

He can hold an ATP Multi Engine Land and a Commercial Single Engine Land with Instrument Privileges.

imbroke
03-26-2018, 12:19 PM
I’m still wondering if the guy who showed up to interview in Bermuda shorts ever got hired. Anyone?

Nope, the hiring department was less than impressed.

WHACKMASTER
03-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Nope, the hiring department was less than impressed.

No kidding! Really? So they didn’t find it amusing?

rickair7777
03-26-2018, 12:27 PM
I remember a video a few years back, where a pilot tried to get on with VX. Not sure if it worked for him.

That kind of thing might have worked for VX. Might work for WN, but probably wouldn't work for DAL.

Nothing about his site is particularly dooshy. It is a bit risky IMO given that his dad works there. He should get called eventually if there's nothing wrong with him, but if this kind of social media outreach annoys someone who matters he might poison the well.

Double-edged sword... might impress the non-pilot decision makers, but might annoy old skool pilots involved in hiring. Your call.

worstpilotever
03-26-2018, 12:34 PM
I think he would have a better chance had he engaged in some proofreading and talked less about websites and moisturizer. But that’s just me.

BarrySeal
03-26-2018, 12:36 PM
I have heard that the SWA folks at the interview expect the candidate to have a professional demeanor/appearance. Not sure if it is still Herb and Company circa 1985 anymore. If I was lucky to be called, I would not be wearing Bermuda shorts.

If you are doing that at an interview, what do you look like when we expect you to fly ?

Moonbeam
03-26-2018, 12:59 PM
I didn't see a box to check on the application asking if you have ever created a YouTube channel. His algorithm generated score will be the same. What does suck in this new hiring selection method is that his Dad can't even help.

Oh, and if the computer never picks him at SWA it will be hard to explain in his Delta interview why working at Delta is all he ever dreamed about. F*cking computers!

barabek
03-26-2018, 01:30 PM
I didn't see a box to check on the application asking if you have ever created a YouTube channel. His algorithm generated score will be the same. What does suck in this new hiring selection method is that his Dad can't even help.

Oh, and if the computer never picks him at SWA it will be hard to explain in his Delta interview why working at Delta is all he ever dreamed about. F*cking computers!

That's exactly how I see it. This guy just burned all bridges. I think I remember him saying he liked Southwest a lot, but that limits his options to, well... Southwest. If Southwest won't call, or if he gets an interview and blows it, then what? Skywest captain for life, I guess.

CaptYoda
03-26-2018, 01:55 PM
And now everyone knows his name, address and everything else too.
I am not sure if this was the attention he was truly seeking. But he does deserve credit for trying. And I would have thought that if your dad worked at SWA you would not have to do all this to get noticed.

Lostboys97
03-26-2018, 02:05 PM
Standard practice to not list flight experience on a resume, and state to reference the application?

Lugar
03-26-2018, 03:11 PM
This guy would be best served by taking down his videos and websites. First, his videos aren’t even funny. Second, after learning about him, he sure as hell isnt someone that I’d want to share a cockpit with.

JohnBurke
03-26-2018, 03:23 PM
I could have done without the videos, but otherwise, I thought his website was well put together and painted him in a good light. A bit young and inexperienced, but otherwise, I can't see how this could possibly hurt him. I'd give his effort a thumbs-up.

BarrySeal
03-26-2018, 06:17 PM
I could have done without the videos, but otherwise, I thought his website was well put together and painted him in a good light. A bit young and inexperienced, but otherwise, I can't see how this could possibly hurt him. I'd give his effort a thumbs-up.

agree.......

worstpilotever
03-26-2018, 06:51 PM
Any pilot that names their kid Jett should be automatically disqualified from holding an ATP.

Masterplan
03-26-2018, 07:07 PM
He thinks it’s funny that people can call him Captain Morgan yet he’s never even had one🤔

worstpilotever
03-26-2018, 07:15 PM
Morman Capt Morgan is different from regular people capt Morgan. I am quite sure he has no idea what it is in our world, he is way too pure.

ROFF
03-26-2018, 07:42 PM
Good luck to him.

Id be shown the door if my internet videos got in the hands of my employer.

worstpilotever
03-26-2018, 07:52 PM
Good luck to him.

Id be shown the door if my internet videos got in the hands of my employer.

Stormy? Is that you?

IDIOTPILOT
03-26-2018, 08:02 PM

As far as I know, he never got an interview. He quit ExpressJet and flying full time to be a lawyer.

Riverside
03-26-2018, 08:27 PM
As far as I know, he never got an interview. He quit ExpressJet and flying full time to be a lawyer.

Awww that's sad to hear. But he is probably making a lot of money.

Peoloto
03-26-2018, 08:45 PM
Embarrassing.

Lugar
03-26-2018, 09:56 PM
Embarrassing.

The sob story about his father having cancer and it being his dream to fly with him at Southwest was pathetic and designed as nothing as a sympathy grabber. If you want to fly with your old man, grab a C172 and go flying. No need to try to get SWA to feel bad for you and hire you just so you can fly with your dad.

domino
03-26-2018, 10:25 PM
The sob story about his father having cancer and it being his dream to fly with him at Southwest was pathetic and designed as nothing as a sympathy grabber. If you want to fly with your old man, grab a C172 and go flying. No need to try to get SWA to feel bad for you and hire you just so you can fly with your dad.

Most airlines want a ‘generic’ type of personality that will fit into their culture. What they don’t want is a personality that is “out there”. This guy might be on the wrong side of out there.

TiredSoul
03-27-2018, 12:54 AM
I would never ever put my life out there like that. I think you should be hired based on your professional merit.
If this sort of stuff would get you in the end is nigh as you have no idea what people are going to come up with.
He’s an HR persons dream though.
But it all seems a little too much.
Being a little humble has never hurt anybody.
Besides, doesn’t he get a garanteed interview being a SW Captains kid?

terminal
03-27-2018, 03:03 AM
Most airlines want a ‘generic’ type of personality that will fit into their culture. What they don’t want is a personality that is “out there”. This guy might be on the wrong side of out there.

SWA isn’t most airlines though.

full of luv
03-27-2018, 03:06 AM

Watch the videos, there has already been years of them flying together in a private plane (although looks more like a Piper).

They wanna fly together and get paid $$$$Bank to do it!

It's bold, it's creative, but perhaps he's applying to SWA 20yrs too late for this kind of initiative to work.

full of luv
03-27-2018, 03:10 AM
I would never ever put my life out there like that. I think you should be hired based on your professional merit.
If this sort of stuff would get you in the end is nigh as you have no idea what people are going to come up with.
He’s an HR persons dream though.
But it all seems a little too much.
Being a little humble has never hurt anybody.
Besides, doesn’t he get a garanteed interview being a SW Captains kid?

It does come across as a bit narcissistic but todays youth have grown up with their whole lives documented on Facebook/Instagram etc so it's like grandpa trying to figure out why you need a myspace account or more than 3 TV channels.

Shoulda created a page for all the "interesting" places the military sent me over a couple of decades, although very few had a US airline presence.

Stitches
03-27-2018, 04:39 AM
How many hours does this kid have? Is he competitive?

RJSAviator76
03-27-2018, 06:23 AM

Some do, some don’t. Some put applicants through psych tests, others through personality index tests, others just check to see if they’d wanna spend a month flying with the applicant.

Personally, I’d rather spend a month flying with this kid than some zero-personality-but-connected “good sh*t.”

Learflyer
03-27-2018, 06:32 AM
I seem to recall a situation back when Herb was behind the curtain where an applicant actually hired a banner tow that had "hire me Herb" dragging across the Dallas skies? :)

I think some other extravagant shenanigans like sending Herb booze etc happened back in the day.

Grumble
03-27-2018, 06:32 AM
A bit unorthodox for me, but he seems like a normal outgoing dude with a nice family. Definitely ballsy move to put all that on the web, but I hope it works out for him.

If it caught our attention, you don’t think the recruiters have seen this by now?

Lugar
03-27-2018, 06:45 AM
A bit unorthodox for me, but he seems like a normal outgoing dude with a nice family. Definitely ballsy move to put all that on the web, but I hope it works out for him.

If it caught our attention, you don’t think the recruiters have seen this by now?

Probably. And he’s either blacklisted or shortlisted at SWA.

worstpilotever
03-27-2018, 07:27 AM
I think his jammies are a wee bit tight

PotatoChip
03-27-2018, 08:04 AM
It's a no from me.
(In my best Simon Cowell voice.)

WHACKMASTER
03-27-2018, 08:10 AM
It's a no from me.
(In my best Simon Cowell voice.)

Me too........after all if you can’t shoot the chit with him over beers or a cocktail after a long day......

Bizkit
03-27-2018, 08:50 AM
Definitely different,

His resume on his website and as a separate attachment says he holds an ATP and a Commercial Multi-Engine Land.

I don't think you can hold an ATP Multiengine Land and a Commercial Multiengine Land at the same time. The ATP supersedes the Commercial.

He can hold an ATP Multi Engine Land and a Commercial Single Engine Land with Instrument Privileges.

My Checked and Set guy wanted me to check both, as the ATP implies you have the Comm Multi as well. What says the masses?

Tbpilot06
03-27-2018, 09:01 AM
My Checked and Set guy wanted me to check both, as the ATP implies you have the Comm Multi as well. What says the masses?
For all the people on here asking to have your application professionally checked.. the part where you select what certificates and ratings you have clearly states: hold or have held . So Commercial MEL is correct along with ATP MEL

Peoloto
03-27-2018, 09:23 AM
Personally, if I was someone in hiring at SWA and saw this it would be a total no from me. Too much weirdness/desperation for me to sit next to for 4 days.

CLRtoPush
03-27-2018, 11:13 AM
If this guy gets hired, the famed ‘SW culture’ has retired.

Truthanator
03-27-2018, 11:19 AM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/11da4cb24864abd0e0297052063ac2d4/tumblr_mk25flPAJL1qbe772o1_500.gif

BobbyLeeSwagger
03-27-2018, 12:00 PM
If homeboy gets an interview, job fairs will be a thing of the past. We will all be putting up videos on RST! Then the resume prep companies will be offering video shoot packages with pilots writing scripts instead of resumes and it will become an even bigger circus than it already is!

I'm willing to spearhead this btw. Starting with a go pro video of me skydiving onto the Dallas training center in my airline uniform with a heart logo on the parachute and a folded up resume in my pocket. You can do anything, once!

Peacock
03-27-2018, 12:05 PM
Please no. We don’t need an influx of goobers making gimmicky videos and websites.

03-27-2018, 12:34 PM
I could totally see this bombimg.. or working to his favor... hmmmm...

ROFF
03-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Will they be accepting VHS tapes?

FlyGirl727
03-27-2018, 01:05 PM
As a previous corporate recruiter, it's a remarkable way of marketing yourself. It would grab my attention and I would certainly call him in for a face to face. Kudos, hope hope you get the job!!

BigWillyCapt
03-27-2018, 02:43 PM
I'm not saying you can't get on the short list by knowing someone, but most of those days are long gone. Computers pick the applicants for interview now based on what parameters HR/flight put in. It has to be fair for everyone these days. Lawyers are involved! No more "Good ol' boy" network. So most of these kind of stunts I'm guessing will be just that, a stunt. Can't hurt to try though I guess, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

SunDevilPilot
03-27-2018, 02:53 PM
He should have just sent Herb some Wild Turkey. :D

TiredSoul
03-27-2018, 03:16 PM
As a previous corporate recruiter, it's a remarkable way of marketing yourself. It would grab my attention and I would certainly call him in for a face to face. Kudos, hope hope you get the job!!

And that’s the problem right there.
Since when should the job be about marketing yourself vs experience and skills?
Me? I quit the boy scouts at 12, outgrew them I guess.
Didn’t do any church volunteering either since I’m not religious but spiritual.
And WTH is up with all this community service jive?!
Didn’t do the easiest degree for a 3.8 either.
It’s such a polished smooth piece that it comes across as fake to me.
Too full of himself and too desperate an attempt.
Not much in the diversity department either: right wing bible thumping gun owner.
Back of the line buddy with all the other swinging d**ks.

* enter chorus with angelic voices singing praise and hallelujah

( To anybody I didn’t insult...I’ll get to you shortly)

Jet J
03-27-2018, 03:29 PM
comes off a wee bit pretentious to me. :p

TiredSoul
03-27-2018, 03:40 PM
comes off a wee bit pretentious to me. :p

That’s what I wanted to say but I got lost and took the long route.

bnkangle
03-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Not much in the diversity department either: right wing bible thumping gun owner.

Diversity is just another form of discrimination.

ShyGuy
03-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Diversity is just another form of discrimination.

Oh look, a pilot complaining about minorities :rolleyes:

bnkangle
03-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Oh look, a pilot complaining about minorities :rolleyes:

Please elaborate.

iHateAMR
03-27-2018, 06:20 PM
The way I see it, this kid has two choices, Southwest, or SkyWest. Because he just burned every other bridge out of there.

BarrySeal
03-27-2018, 06:55 PM
The way I see it, this kid has two choices, Southwest, or SkyWest. Because he just burned every other bridge out of there.

not completely disagreeing, but lets be fair, did he burn all of them ?

Directautogroup
03-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Embarassing

PotatoChip
03-27-2018, 07:11 PM

True.
ATI is still a valid option!!

bizzlepilot
03-27-2018, 07:28 PM
Agree with most assessments, pretentious and narcissistic, and just annoying. I do believe it will get him the interview though, I have no faith in any system anymore.

robxjt27
03-27-2018, 07:31 PM
This thread is hilarious and just full of one liners.

at6d
03-27-2018, 09:56 PM
not completely disagreeing, but lets be fair, did he burn all of them ?

Great Lakes is throwing in the towel, so yes.

C130driver
03-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Awww that's sad to hear. But he is probably making a lot of money.

Eh, working a lot harder than a pilot for not THAT much more pay..plus he is stuck at a law firm all day.

itsmytime
03-28-2018, 05:35 AM
Agree with most assessments, pretentious and narcissistic, and just annoying. I do believe it will get him the interview though, I have no faith in any system anymore.

I agree. He will get an interview out of it.

MudhammedCJ
03-28-2018, 07:22 AM
I agree. He will get an interview out of it.
Doesn't work that way.

Fly507
03-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Doesn't work that way.

I hope not, cause if he does get an interview out of this and even better for him gets the job... this BS might be the new "standard" for getting hired at SouthWest. I wish him luck on one hand cause it does require a lot of courage to put yourself out there like that, but on the other hand I don't want this to be the new norm for getting hired at SouthWest or any other major.

RJSAviator76
03-28-2018, 09:17 AM
People used to send pizzas to chief pilot offices with their resumes, all kinds of silly stuff just to get noticed. I don’t think this is much different than white guys going to OBAP conference or males going to WIA job fair. Anything to stand out...

He may get noticed with this, but in the end, it’ll be his quals to get him the interview and his personality and impression if he gets the job. The kid has a sense of humor... Hope he gets in.

Jeff Lebowski
03-28-2018, 09:19 AM
I've gotta say I really don't have a problem with this despite my initial urge to projectile vomit when my wife showed me his viddy on the SW Wives Facebook page. If I was fifteen or twenty years younger and grew up having my picture taken a bazillion times a day like my own kids do then I might have taken a similar tack myself. But I'm old and of that pre-digital generation that isn't quite as comfortable putting it all out there.

This is the natural outgrowth of all that's been happening social-media wise for the past fifteen years. It's really just another way for the guy to tell his story, and you have to give him props for putting together a pretty good bio. And it's not like he hasn't been paying his dues, and before I get flamed for saying that, it's not his fault he didn't come of age in the era of pay-for-training and/or the lost decade and/or everything else that made getting started in this career suck for so long.

So what the hell, give him a shot.

itsmytime
03-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Doesn't work that way.

If he’s got his app in, and his times are competitive, this will get him pulled if he was passed over. I guarantee SW recruiters are aware of him.

Moonbeam
03-28-2018, 10:15 AM
If he’s got his app in, and his times are competitive, this will get him pulled if he was passed over. I guarantee SW recruiters are aware of him.

Nice! Maybe I will have Uncle Rico put together a video of me saving some kittens. Would sending a VHS tape disqualify me? Now I know how my Dad felt when he couldn't use a personal check to buy an aeroplane ticket. Completely bewildered.

TerrainTerrain
03-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Its embarrassing and shows very bad judgement. Also demonstrates his sheltered life and lack of social understanding. Huge red flag, bye bye.

ZapBrannigan
03-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Its embarrassing and shows very bad judgement. Also demonstrates his sheltered life and lack of social understanding. Huge red flag, bye bye.

You’re thinking like a pilot. Think like a millennial working in HR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TerrainTerrain
03-28-2018, 12:00 PM
You’re thinking like a pilot. Think like a millennial working in HR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank god for the review board.

Puck Hawg
03-28-2018, 12:05 PM
This crap is just crazy enough to work. I’ve heard of guys sending in resumes, filled out with crayons to show “diversity.” It’s the BS alike this and the people that pump themselves out to job fairs that end up getting the gig, unfortunately.

MudhammedCJ
03-28-2018, 01:08 PM
Nope. Doesn't work that way.

at6d
03-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Got to get past the computer.

ShyGuy
03-28-2018, 07:04 PM
On a long layover in SEA once I took the Boeing factory tour at Everett/Paine field. At one part when we walked scaffolding the tour guide explained how some guests would throw paper airplanes down to the floor. They were resumes.

TerrainTerrain
03-28-2018, 08:33 PM
On a long layover in SEA once I took the Boeing factory tour at Everett/Paine field. At one part when we walked scaffolding the tour guide explained how some guests would throw paper airplanes down to the floor. They were resumes.

Dumb story . Com

TerrainTerrain
03-28-2018, 10:44 PM
Just looked at this guys website. I sure af hope he doesn’t get a job HERE at swa. Real dipsht. Im actually going to torpedo him, done.

wmlocante
03-29-2018, 01:07 PM
Is this some sort of joke?

gliderguider
03-30-2018, 05:55 PM
As others have said, this is an outgrowth from the social media fueled “all me all the time” mentality. But as a millennial myself, I don’t think this is an excuse that holds water because there are plenty of millennials out there who responsibly and humbly use social media and some who don’t even participate in social media at all. This guy is just out there.

Also, like this individual, my dad is a pilot at a legacy, and had I made a website like this soliciting myself to only his airline and in this manner, I think my dad would have absolved himself from association with me out of sheer embarrassment and humiliation and also the short-sightedness and naivety of targeting only one employer. (As a side note, the legacy my dad works for turned me down and I happily landed at another legacy shortly thereafter, so it’s good to not limit oneself.)

Overall, this has all the trappings of some cheesy politician trying to run for local office, compete with the use of family photos etc. Personally, I found the use of the family exploitative to try and make himself a more sympathetic character. What really did it for me were the videos which were of embarassingly poor content, and also betrayed some of his thoughts cloaked in “humor,” like not being made a check airman for looking too young, and hurting his chances at SWA and not applying to other airlines etc.

It’s hard to rip on a guy that is enthusiastic, but this isn’t really all that creative, just Facebook profile part 2 and the content is just too contrived and really there is just some growing up that needs to take place here .

TiredSoul
03-30-2018, 06:14 PM
^^^ Amen and pass the ammo

BarrySeal
03-30-2018, 08:17 PM
agree with all of the above....but me thinks HR/Etc will "pick up on this story" and he gets an interview

itsmytime
03-31-2018, 06:02 AM
agree with all of the above....but me thinks HR/Etc will "pick up on this story" and he gets an interview

That’s the point I was trying to make earlier. But mudhammed swears it doesn’t work that way, so we’ll see.

MudhammedCJ
03-31-2018, 07:24 AM
I didn't swear anything, but I've seen many guys try to get their kids in. Once the computer selects the kid, dad can help. Until then, at best, they can direct the kid to do certain things they can include on the application that help with the computer selection process. Find evidence to the contrary. Prove me wrong.

gliderguider
03-31-2018, 08:14 AM

I’m just line swine not HR, but if I were, this would bother me because he attempted to box them in. If they don’t hire him, then they look cold and uncaring after his manipulative use of emotional appeal, and if they do hire him, they set a bad precedent of being flooded with similar gimmicks.

01WJ
03-31-2018, 08:20 AM
I didn't swear anything, but I've seen many guys try to get their kids in. Once the computer selects the kid, dad can help. Until then, at best, they can direct the kid to do certain things they can include on the application that help with the computer selection process. Find evidence to the contrary. Prove me wrong.

Don't know if anything has changed, but this was sent out last year:

"Prior to selection, candidates have applied through southwest.com/careers and built a profile through swa.Pilotcredentials.com. From there, we use a resume screening tool to help select best qualified and most competitive candidates based on flight experience, education, and leadership. Our Chief Pilots and Flight Training Center Leadership help provide the attributes and skills we are seeking in our Pilot candidates. Our Pilot Hiring Team then conducts a thorough personal review (human touch) before finally sending out the formal invitation to visit us in Dallas for an
interview."

Crown
03-31-2018, 08:35 AM
When I was a regional captain, I was pretty desperate to get out. I considered showing up at the training center of my Legacy choice and walking directly into the hiring office to drop off my resume and my airline application printed out. I consulted a hiring company to ask their opinion of this tactic, and they more or less told me that I would be signing my death warrant for that specific airline.

Simply put, there's a process to getting hired. Those who step outside that box are taking a monumental risk; one that will most likely not have the payoff that you're looking for.

It's already been said but worth repeating: he's blacklisted HIMSELF from United, Delta, American, FedEx, and UPS. Why would ANY of those airlines want to hire someone who is always going to be looking at Southwest and longing for them to be his employer? I'm not in HR nor any sort of hiring department, but to me this candidate clearly demonstrates he's a one trick pony. It's SWA or bust.

TiredSoul
03-31-2018, 09:18 AM
Once tried to cheat the system with a 135 that flew international.
Couldn’t get a bite through their website.
Came across one of their crews on the road and the Captain was kind enough to give me the CP email after a chat.
Got my head bitten off in an email for not applying through the “regular channels”. Ah well..lesson learned I guess.

If this was a more generic “Hire me” Website effort I’d be more for it.
Being so desperately SW only makes it a little weird.
And lotsa peoples parents have cancer buddy. That doesn’t entitle you to anything. Friend of mine lost both her parents in the last 6 months.
Wonder what his dads thinks about it actually. His kid using his illness to try and get a leg over on the rest.

Bootleg
03-31-2018, 09:26 AM
How good is he at fighting over the controls st 39 feet agl?

Might want to brush up—jus sayin.

Bootleg
03-31-2018, 09:29 AM
That kind of thing might have worked for VX. Might work for WN, but probably wouldn't work for DAL.

Nothing about his site is particularly dooshy. It is a bit risky IMO given that his dad works there. He should get called eventually if there's nothing wrong with him, but if this kind of social media outreach annoys someone who matters he might poison the well.

Double-edged sword... might impress the non-pilot decision makers, but might annoy old skool pilots involved in hiring. Your call.

Someone might not like his haircut—and “blackball” him. I understand you guys have that program there.

01WJ
03-31-2018, 09:43 AM
Someone might not like his haircut—and “blackball” him. I understand you guys have that program there.

I think someone already did that a few posts back, although I'm not sure if just one will do it. I've heard both ways.

Learflyer
03-31-2018, 02:25 PM
Don't know if anything has changed, but this was sent out last year:

"Prior to selection, candidates have applied through southwest.com/careers and built a profile through swa.Pilotcredentials.com. From there, we use a resume screening tool to help select best qualified and most competitive candidates based on flight experience, education, and leadership. Our Chief Pilots and Flight Training Center Leadership help provide the attributes and skills we are seeking in our Pilot candidates. Our Pilot Hiring Team then conducts a thorough personal review (human touch) before finally sending out the formal invitation to visit us in Dallas for an
interview."

Reverse those two in order....That's what they're looking for. I've said in other posts...You can be a CP; ACP; Designated Examiner; tons of PIC; stable job history and longevity; 142 instructor/TCE etc...If you don't have a bachelor's degree, you can throw all of the above out the door. The degree is A number 1.

gipple
03-31-2018, 02:32 PM
Some do, some don’t. Some put applicants through psych tests, others through personality index tests, others just check to see if they’d wanna spend a month flying with the applicant.

Personally, I’d rather spend a month flying with this kid than some zero-personality-but-connected “good sh*t.”

++++++++++++++1

WhaleSurfing
03-31-2018, 02:34 PM
Reverse those two in order....That's what they're looking for. I've said in other posts...You can be a CP; ACP; Designated Examiner; tons of PIC; stable job history and longevity; 142 instructor/TCE etc...If you don't have a bachelor's degree, you can throw all of the above out the door. The degree is A number 1.

Wrong!

As mentioned many times. SWA uses a computer score based on "all" experience. If you've been CkAir, CP, DO, etc...have a 737 type, etc.

All of these things add to a score just as a degree does. It's the final score that gets you the interview.

flensr
03-31-2018, 03:09 PM
I think someone already did that a few posts back, although I'm not sure if just one will do it. I've heard both ways.

There's already a whole pointless thread about Bootleg complaining about the "negative recommendation" input at SWA. I suspect that in this particular situation, HR will be able to collect enough information to make up their minds without existing employees throwing in their 2 cents.

In this case, it seems a bit childish and chicken for someone who doesn't even know the kid to try to blackball him with a negative recommendation based only on the video and website. Seems like negative recommendations are intended to get additional information about a candidate from people who have personal firsthand knowledge that could impact the interview/hiring decision, not just a method to shoot down people you don't even know just because they posted a video you don't like. It seems like that kind of negative input would reflect more negatively on that employee taking cheap shots at someone they don't even know than on the applicant.

Some people think it's totally cool to talk trash about people they don't know or know only through third-hand reputation, but I think that's a more a sign of insecurity than anything else. But that's just me, and I'm not in charge of anything :)

Learflyer
03-31-2018, 06:15 PM
Wrong!

As mentioned many times. SWA uses a computer score based on "all" experience. If you've been CkAir, CP, DO, etc...have a 737 type, etc.

All of these things add to a score just as a degree does. It's the final score that gets you the interview.

Sorry playa. Not everyone hired was a CkAir, CP, DO, etc. But just about EVERYONE hired at SWA has a degree. Hence making it A number 1. That was my point.

Bootleg
04-01-2018, 02:42 AM
There's already a whole pointless thread about Bootleg complaining about the "negative recommendation" input at SWA. I suspect that in this particular situation, HR will be able to collect enough information to make up their minds without existing employees throwing in their 2 cents.

In this case, it seems a bit childish and chicken for someone who doesn't even know the kid to try to blackball him with a negative recommendation based only on the video and website. Seems like negative recommendations are intended to get additional information about a candidate from people who have personal firsthand knowledge that could impact the interview/hiring decision, not just a method to shoot down people you don't even know just because they posted a video you don't like. It seems like that kind of negative input would reflect more negatively on that employee taking cheap shots at someone they don't even know than on the applicant.

Some people think it's totally cool to talk trash about people they don't know or know only through third-hand reputation, but I think that's a more a sign of insecurity than anything else. But that's just me, and I'm not in charge of anything :)

Not a pointless thread at all. It confirmed that something I had heard was in fact true. Some tender people got butthurt about it. Don’t know why. Not my policy.

That is all

Tbpilot06
04-01-2018, 07:29 AM
Sorry playa. Not everyone hired was a CkAir, CP, DO, etc. But just about EVERYONE hired at SWA has a degree. Hence making it A number 1. That was my point.

Can’t get a call with a Masters degree, have been CP, DO and Safety Manager. Have enough flight time and no bad history record. I think it’s actually a lottery system from this “computer”

Marko
04-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Can’t get a call with a Masters degree, have been CP, DO and Safety Manager. Have enough flight time and no bad history record. I think it’s actually a lottery system from this “computer”So your saying there's a chance!

Jeff Lebowski
04-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Can’t get a call with a Masters degree, have been CP, DO and Safety Manager. Have enough flight time and no bad history record. I think it’s actually a lottery system from this “computer”

Have you had your app and resume reviewed by someone who actually does it for a living? If your CV is as sterling as you say, you might want to make a modest investment just to make sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot.

skypine27
04-02-2018, 04:43 PM
I’m surprised it took to page 8 for someone to mention the “cloaked in humor” thing: ‘When you have a baby face, you can’t become a check airman...”

I don’t think I would have pointed this out if I were him.

RckyMtHigh
04-03-2018, 05:09 AM

I think you're taking this "blackball" thing way too seriously. That implies any pilot can tank any applicant for any reason. It's input from the pilot group that may or may not be taken into consideration along with all other factors. I imagine most places do that in their own way.

flensr
04-03-2018, 06:18 AM
I think you're taking this "blackball" thing way too seriously. That implies any pilot can tank any applicant for any reason. It's input from the pilot group that may or may not be taken into consideration along with all other factors. I imagine most places do that in their own way.

Read his other entire thread about the "blackball" crisis, if you need any confirmation about how seriously he's taking it ;)

Bootleg
04-03-2018, 09:05 AM
Read his other entire thread about the "blackball" crisis, if you need any confirmation about how seriously he's taking it ;)

When you get right down to it, I really don’t give a sh!t one way or another.

I’m not applying there.

I guess mentally I had Southwest on a higher shelf-so to speak-than the others.

Emphasis on “had”

I can just picture it—a group of you fkn mutts hovering around the bulletin board with a black pen in hand- ready for the new hire list to be put up. What a group.

Loon
04-03-2018, 09:13 AM
It's really embarrassing to watch/view.

Loon
04-03-2018, 09:15 AM

I’m not applying there.

Emphasis on “had”

I can just picture it—a group of you fkn mutts hovering around the bulletin board with a black pen in hand- ready for the new hire list to be put up. What a group.

No one I've run into at swa is a "mutt". And all that I know are honest, genuine folk.

Peacock
04-03-2018, 09:39 AM

I’m not applying there.

Emphasis on “had”

Your dozens of posts show us how much you don’t care.

gliderguider
04-03-2018, 09:52 AM
It's really embarrassing to watch/view.

His creative inspiration and script-writing skills came from reading “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” a few times.

PowerShift
04-03-2018, 12:30 PM
The interview list is usually taped to the backside of a door in the pilot lounge. Had no idea what it was for 8-9 months. Never see anybody hovering or even looking at it. If they did, it would be to see if a friend got called.

From my understanding if you write a letter stating reasons why that person should not be hired, it does not stop them from interviewing.

SWA does a pretty darn good job of hiring good people. They have to get to know YOU. Be sincere, be you and be honest. Nobody is looking for perfection, just to get to know you.

About the original topic, It’s not for me, and I would not do that type of pandering, but that’s just me. SWA wants pilots with a free spirit and personalities, but you must be able to conform to the mold as well. You need to be able to understand when to be all business, when to be playful and when it’s appropriate to mix them.

Showing up in Bahama shorts for an interview is not mixing them well.

PotatoChip
04-03-2018, 03:49 PM

I’m not applying there.

Emphasis on “had”

Wow.

I think you've done a great job painting a picture of yourself... not the SWA pilot group.

Glad you're not applying.

TheAshtar
04-13-2018, 10:53 AM

From personal experience I agree.

I have more 8000+ 121 PIC alone.

Probably half of that “instruction given” during IOE for over 10 years.

I have given 121 IOE (new hire, upgrade, and some both!) to at least 18 that I know of (and I’m SURE many more that I don’t) current Southwest pilots.

I have “0” check ride failures or any “pink slips/failures” at any level of aviation from private pilot to ATP with 3 type ratings.

I have no motor vehicle offenses involving alcohol.

I “volunteer” to be as much of a full time dad for 3 kids who lost the lottery on a decent mom. This forces me to commute when I would never choose too.

I try my best to live life by the golden rule and I’m truly happy and lucky to be where I am.... but.....

I never completed my bachelors degree and even after attending the first 2 in-house recruitment events in a row (yes it took two people and 4 computers, twice!), I have still not heard a peep from Southwest people department.

From personal experience, the degree is a must have if you want a chance.

Someone who actually doesn’t have one and has gotten hired (or at least interviewed!) recently, please respond and prove me wrong!

I guess I’ll fix a drink, watch a YouTube video on how to make YouTube videos and see what happens ;0)

TheAshtar
04-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Just watched his “baby face” video.

Not well thought out. His baby face has nothing to do with being a checkairman. It’s comical because my “baby face” after 10 years of IOE still looks younger than his!

His employer can only train so many checkairmen/month. They know the vast majority who apply want it for the check mark in the box and not because the enjoy helping FNG’s. His theories about why he isn’t already a checkairman are suspect, and the reason he’ll NEVER be one at OO are because of this video, lol

TheAshtar
04-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Oh and one last observstion and then I’ll shut up👍🏻

If he wants to fly with daddy, then Dad should just retire from Southwest and come over to OO. Waaaaaay easier than the route he’s wishing for now.

It’s been done before too. Z Smail was already at OO when his dad R, retired from Delta at 60... just months before 65 became law. They got to fly the bro AND the Barbie jet together! Way cool!

Pilot1227
04-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Any pilot that names their kid Jett should be automatically disqualified from holding an ATP.

We did Skylar, Jett and Tiller.... we both have ATPs lol

Shockley
08-11-2018, 08:22 PM

Well, was he???

2strokin
08-12-2018, 07:13 AM

Well, was he???

His name isn't on the the last two published interviewees list. He's also not on the latest seniority list.

PotatoChip
08-23-2018, 10:30 AM
Domain is no longer active.

skypine27
10-21-2018, 07:39 PM
Did anyone save the videos ?

ipdanno
10-22-2018, 07:32 AM
Only the HR Departments of EVERY other airline. :o

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1