Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Thinking of leaving Republic

ZuluMike
03-26-2018, 01:55 PM
Hello All!

Im sorry to post here but need some advice from my fellow employees. I started at Republic in October and have been on reserve for about 3 months now. While I absolutely love the flying, I am having much difficulty adjusting to this lifestyle of being away from home all the time.

It is taking a very big strain on my marriage. My wife is also an airline pilot (For another regional) but we are having a difficult time with our schedules not mathcing up. I live out of base so having to fly into base for reserve (although being used fairly often) is not helping much. I was thinking of transferring to a more junior base to hold a line, but still the idea of doing this for the rest of my career is daunting to me. It makes me very upset to think I will spend almost half my life, if not more, away from home. The idea of even having a family or spending important days togehter in the future is completely out of the window for us. So my question is, what should I do , does it get better?

I was looking for other aviation jobs where I could be home more but am struggling to find any other options, I've even considered going back to college to change my carreer field. Id still love to stay in aviation but at my age (27) I feel like an absolute idiot if I give this all up now to move to something else. How bad would it look too if i Burn Republic after just 5-6 months of employment? I made the biggest mistake by not choosing a regional where I am living and chasing bonuses and higher pay rates. At the end of the day I love this company (so far :p) but it is just not working out for me, and I am spending more money on hotels and commuting sometimes even having to buy confirmed tickets to make a trip and not loose out on pay.

flysooner9
03-26-2018, 02:50 PM
Two airline pilot families rarely work out. Probably should have thought about that one before you guys got hitched. Even later on in life assuming you both get senior enough to hold whatever schedule you want your options are either both work at the same time, leaving your future kids to be taken care of by whoever for several days at a time. Or stagger your schedules which means one person is always home with the kids but then you never see each other.

Only way I see two airline pilot families working is if you live in both your bases and at least one person can hold day trips.

sflpilot
03-26-2018, 04:39 PM
Not good at all. I would at a minimun get to a regional with a base in your home city ASAP. It’s also probably time for your wife to get out of the airlines permanently and not work. Worrying about what mainline HR will think years from now would not be my first concern. When you get enough seniority to hold day trips things will get a lot better with your wife at home with the kids and you home every night. That could take a while though.

say again
03-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Maybe this career isn't for you.

Av8rPHX
03-26-2018, 05:02 PM
Sounds like pre AIDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yayairplanes
03-26-2018, 05:36 PM
If you can stick it out for 1-2 years, you can get an insanely nice schedule at a junior base, and then you can just be an FO lifer. I can easily get 19 days off if that's what I want.

TiredSoul
03-27-2018, 01:08 AM
You’re at the start of your career.
Nobody promised it would easy all of the time.
You both have careers.
Man up and tough it out.
I’ve had a 3.5 year long distance relationship with my then girlfriend and now my wife. We saw each other every three months.
The last two years I’ve barely been home due to switching jobs and having to fly overtime to financially cover “first year pay” twice.
If you can’t make it work between the two of you maybe you’re not the pair you hoped you’d be.
Again...”paying your dues” comes in many different shapes and forms.

sflpilot
03-27-2018, 03:27 AM
You’re at the start of your career.
Nobody promised it would easy all of the time.
You both have careers.
Man up and tough it out.
I’ve had a 3.5 year long distance relationship with my then girlfriend and now my wife. We saw each other every three months.
The last two years I’ve barely been home due to switching jobs and having to fly overtime to financially cover “first year pay” twice.
If you can’t make it work between the two of you maybe you’re not the pair you hoped you’d be.
Again...”paying your dues” comes in many different shapes and forms.

You see your girlfriend 4 times a year? That seems far beyond paying dues. Each to their own. Also “dues paying” may become a thing of the past. Great Lakes just shut down. The regionals are slowly going away. More to come as mainline retirements accelerate.

TiredSoul
03-27-2018, 03:39 AM
You see your girlfriend 4 times a year?

Don’t tell my wife.

https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/latovegas1.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

( read my previous post again)

pilotguy7
03-27-2018, 05:49 AM
Sounds like pre AIDS

YEP!!! I was a commuter sitting reserve, home 5 days a month (commuting on days off) and IT SUCKED!! I have a wife and 3 awesome kids. I did it for 8 months and found something else .... got he 121 stamp of approval, an ATP and a type rating. Went back into corporate until something better came along. There is LOTS of flying out there that is home based, or just day trips (and 121). AIDS is a true thing, and you dont want to fall victim to it. You two are in a bind, because it's BOTH of you . . . WOW... Good luck with this one.
Or stick it out, your schedules can get better . . consider living at base and getting into the training department, marketing department or recruiting area. Now you have more of a 9-5 with some flying in (and seniority). There are ways to make it work, but you might just have to think outside the box. The regionals are for young folks with no families, old folks who have no family, or people who live at base (yes there are exceptions to everything). Only YOU TWO can choose the right path for yourselves.

Otterbox
03-27-2018, 06:04 AM
Hello All!

Im sorry to post here but need some advice from my fellow employees. I started at Republic in October and have been on reserve for about 3 months now. While I absolutely love the flying, I am having much difficulty adjusting to this lifestyle of being away from home all the time.

It is taking a very big strain on my marriage. My wife is also an airline pilot (For another regional) but we are having a difficult time with our schedules not mathcing up. I live out of base so having to fly into base for reserve (although being used fairly often) is not helping much. I was thinking of transferring to a more junior base to hold a line, but still the idea of doing this for the rest of my career is daunting to me. It makes me very upset to think I will spend almost half my life, if not more, away from home. The idea of even having a family or spending important days togehter in the future is completely out of the window for us. So my question is, what should I do , does it get better?

I was looking for other aviation jobs where I could be home more but am struggling to find any other options, I've even considered going back to college to change my carreer field. Id still love to stay in aviation but at my age (27) I feel like an absolute idiot if I give this all up now to move to something else. How bad would it look too if i Burn Republic after just 5-6 months of employment? I made the biggest mistake by not choosing a regional where I am living and chasing bonuses and higher pay rates. At the end of the day I love this company (so far :p) but it is just not working out for me, and I am spending more money on hotels and commuting sometimes even having to buy confirmed tickets to make a trip and not loose out on pay.

First year is tough... maybe look at PSA since they have SAP and you can drop down to 65hrs a month eventually as a line holder...

It may come to you and your wife taking a look at your careers objectively... if you two have similar training records (ie same # of failures etc.) then it may be worth it for you to bow out of 121 life and let her to be the mainline pilot.

Or you could always go work for the same regional and bid her base and move there with her... there’s a decent chance she’ll be at a major before you are as long as her background doesn’t suck so you might just want to give her the ultimate “yes dear” and just start following her around career wise.

knewyork
03-27-2018, 06:07 AM
Not good at all. I would at a minimun get to a regional with a base in your home city ASAP. It’s also probably time for your wife to get out of the airlines permanently and not work. Worrying about what mainline HR will think years from now would not be my first concern. When you get enough seniority to hold day trips things will get a lot better with your wife at home with the kids and you home every night. That could take a while though.

Why does she have to give up her job?

pilotguy7
03-27-2018, 06:22 AM
Why does she have to give up her job?
She will be at a major LLLLOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG before him!!!!!! LOL

theclaw
03-27-2018, 06:40 AM
Why do YOU have to quit flying and your wife doesn't? Who is wearing the pants here?

Tpinks
03-27-2018, 08:59 AM
She will be at a major LLLLOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG before him!!!!!! LOL

That's what I was thinking. Let her keep hers and he can become an FA and they can buddy bid.

Mjm8710
03-27-2018, 09:08 AM
OP, I know exactly how you’re feeling...when I first started in the airline business I immediately thought I made the wrong decision. I was commuting to reserve at the time, was never home, never saw the GF. You’re number one mistake was not picking a regional that has a home base..commuting adds stress and days away from home. I for one will never commute..if it gets to that I will do something else because I refuse to move from my family.

Only clear options are, you both move to a city you can both be based at, switch companies that have a base where you live.

Honestly, once you get rid of the commuting aspect, and stick it out a few months until you get a line, things become 100x better especially once you can hold 2 day trips or even day trips. I’m home based, and with a line, I’m home a lot more than the typical 9-5 Monday through Friday person.

Again, I went from being in your boat, to switching to a company that was based in my hometown and can honestly tell you it was by far the best decision I’ve ever made. Totally different job.

CaptYoda
03-27-2018, 10:26 AM
You can very easily explain your reasoning for leaving Republic if you decide to do so. I doubt that it will impact your career negatively. Get to an airline where you don't have to commute. Family first.

Fr8Thrust
03-27-2018, 10:58 AM
It’s also probably time for your wife to get out of the airlines permanently and not work.

LMAO what decade is this?

Excargodog
03-27-2018, 02:07 PM

Decade?

Century, you mean....

TJBrass
03-27-2018, 03:56 PM
As they used to say in the Corps, "if they wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one".

Flightcap
03-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Commuting to reserve sucks. A lot. Having two 121 pilots in the family.....I don't know, man. I don't like the sounds of it. There are other flying jobs out there.

TheWeatherman
03-27-2018, 06:50 PM
Hello All!

A lot of Part 141 College programs are hurting for full time positions. Although you won't have the flight hours for Department Chief, you could qualify for Assistant Department Chief or full time instructor/teacher at many places and will get paid ~$40,000 - $60,000 a year starting out. At most places it is a Monday thru Friday job and you are home every night but get to fly. This is assuming of course you have your CFI/II/MEI. If you don't, your options for having a well paying flying job that gets you home every night and weekends is severely limited.

Theaveragejoker
03-27-2018, 08:07 PM
135 freight like Empire and Ameriflight, etc. are out and back, and then you go to Allegiant and are always out and back. You can have an airline career and still be home, it just won't be a glamorous one.

sflpilot
03-27-2018, 11:05 PM

This is not about a woman’s right to work of course they have that. He was asking about how to save his marriage with both of them being 121 regional pilots whom at least one of which is commuting to sit reserve. Those of us with any insight have given solid advice that the situation will not work long term.

TiredSoul
03-28-2018, 12:58 AM
It may come to you and your wife taking a look at your careers objectively... if you two have similar training records (ie same # of failures etc.) then it may be worth it for you to bow out of 121 life and let her to be the mainline pilot.

Or you could always go work for the same regional and bid her base and move there with her... there’s a decent chance she’ll be at a major before you are as long as her background doesn’t suck so you might just want to give her the ultimate “yes dear” and just start following her around career wise.

Probably the best option given here.
One needs to take the lead and one needs to follow.
Realistically ( as stated above) your wife’s career will progress quicker then yours.
So follow her.
Doubt it will make any difference to you in the long term, career wise.
She is just moving faster, yours won’t go slower.
Since she will be senior she’ll be making more money then you which means you can sit back and relax on monthly guarantee.
Which is a good deal since men die sooner anyway so we kinda need to pace ourselves ;)

knewyork
03-28-2018, 06:16 AM
Some people here are trying to save his marriage yet you want him to go say “alright honey, you’ve had a good run and spent thousands on this career you’ve seen success in. Time to hang them up because it’ll make me more happy.”

You guys must not be married.

ORD170
03-28-2018, 06:53 AM
Some people here are trying to save his marriage yet you want him to go say “alright honey, you’ve had a good run and spent thousands on this career you’ve seen success in. Time to hang them up because it’ll make me more happy.”

OP listen to this guy! Honestly your spouse will probably make it to a legacy before you anyways.

I would tread lightly with asking any woman to give up her career for your career these days. Probably result in a lot of yelling and you sleeping on the couch.

Flightcap
03-28-2018, 07:10 AM

Solid advice as usual from you, cheers.

sflpilot
03-28-2018, 12:15 PM

Let me be practical. Suggesting that there’s a good chance of the whole thing working if they both remain 121 pilots is bad advice. If she gives up her career and there is a divorce down the line she will come out of it much better than he would if he gave up his career especially if they have kids. The family courts are slanted heavily in favor towards women in divorce cases. Just trying to prevent the guy from potentially submarining his entire life in the future.

FollowMe
03-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Ya'll are pretty callous hashing out the demise of a relationship between two people you don't even know. To the OP, the general advice that a two pilot marriage is incredibly straining is definitely sound. I would talk it over with the only person in your life whose opinion should carry any weight. Best of luck and hope whatever decision you make gives you many years of happiness with your family!

Taco Cat
03-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Ever think about becoming an Air Traffic Controller?
At least once a year, there are “off the street” job announcements, and there are ATC facilities at all the airline hubs...
I’ve met more than a few Air Traffic Controllers that were former Regional Airline pilots, and know a few Regional pilots that are retired Air Traffic Controllers...
Teach school, CFI on the weekends... teach at FlightSafety, SimCom, CAE... lots of ways to keep your finger in aviation without sacrificing your marriage and or family...

Swakid8
03-29-2018, 11:12 AM
Man that's tough, but why aren't you guys at the same regional in the first place? That's mistake number one.....

It can work, it's going to take one of two to make sacrifices. If she is higher up on the seniority, you should head to to the same regional and bid the same base she is in then move to base.

But my advice, you and the wifey have to sit down discuss how to move forward with y'all careers. I am not going to suggest who gives up their career that's a decision y'all both need to make as a team. Get some counseling through this process as well.

ZuluMike
03-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Woah! Thanks for all the replies, apologize ive been on a 4 day trip and forgot to check APC.

I appreciate all of your inputs. Its not really fair for either one of us to expect the other to drop everything. We both understand this and both of us were in 141 programs and have invested 100k+ each in our endeavors. I would like to stay in aviation but its just incredibly hard right now to find something with the same pay that would be more home based. Most corporate gigs are looking for 3000 hours +.

I may stick it through a few more months just to get some jet time. Wondering who can help me here but what would be the most junior base where I can hold some commutable line? Im guesing laguardia playing around on flica but I hear lots of day trips. Columbus is a no go every captain has told me trips start early and end late.

Divorce or why I chose to marry her is not really a concern right now, its not that bad and we are making it work i guess, it just sucks. I was more concerned if i jump and make the swittch to her regional only a few months into republic, is it going to hurt my chances down the line.

Swakid8
03-30-2018, 12:30 PM
Woah! Thanks for all the replies, apologize ive been on a 4 day trip and forgot to check APC.

I appreciate all of your inputs. Its not really fair for either one of us to expect the other to drop everything. We both understand this and both of us were in 141 programs and have invested 100k+ each in our endeavors. I would like to stay in aviation but its just incredibly hard right now to find something with the same pay that would be more home based. Most corporate gigs are looking for 3000 hours +.

I may stick it through a few more months just to get some jet time. Wondering who can help me here but what would be the most junior base where I can hold some commutable line? Im guesing laguardia playing around on flica but I hear lots of day trips. Columbus is a no go every captain has told me trips start early and end late.

Divorce or why I chose to marry her is not really a concern right now, its not that bad and we are making it work i guess, it just sucks. I was more concerned if i jump and make the swittch to her regional only a few months into republic, is it going to hurt my chances down the line.

You got to do what's best for you and the family, if you do that, it all works out at the end. Good luck

Av8r75
03-30-2018, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=ZuluMike;2561908]Woah! Thanks for all the replies, apologize ive been on a 4 day trip and forgot to check APC.

You can definitely get a corporate gig with less than 3000 hours. They are out there, just have to know where you want to live and start networking. Just be careful in the corporate world....there are many outfits that abuse their pilots, such as poor schedules, no duty times, etc. I have a buddy who works for Gama Aviation (Wheels Up) and loves it. The only issue there is it is an 8 and 6 schedule, so not sure how much you would see each other with that type of schedule and her airline schedule. Whatever you two decide, you will find a way I am sure, but don't lose hope and keep your ears to the ground in the corporate world as well, there may be a solution there down the road. Look on "Indeed" and "JSfirm" for First Officer jobs if you haven't already.

cicerosum
03-30-2018, 01:01 PM
Hiya, my husband and I are both working pilots. We’ve been together a long time. It can work. But airline life is very much about missing birthdays, Christmases, holidays, kids games etc. The bottom line is that you get used to it.

I would get to the regional in your hometown. Right now the way hiring is, if you have a pulse you’ve got the job. Leave Republic in good standing and it’ll be fine. You need to make sure that you’re happy doing your job or you will seriously resent it.

fenix1
03-30-2018, 03:12 PM
Savagely great...or greatly savage...

All kidding aside, this is great discussion for all to think about and I hope the OP finds a way to make things work out well-enough personally & professionally.

Don’t tell my wife.

https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/latovegas1.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

( read my previous post again)

Pilotpip
04-18-2018, 08:49 PM
I was more concerned if i jump and make the swittch to her regional only a few months into republic, is it going to hurt my chances down the line.

Any company that would judge you negatively for putting you, your family, your happiness first wouldn't be a company I want to work for. In 20 years, losing 7 years of seniority will mean nothing if you are happy, healthy, and still on your first marriage. A divorce will cost you far more than 7 months of seniority in the grand scheme of things.

I wish you the best of luck, because it sounds like you and your wife need to sit down and have some very serious conversation about life and family goals and expectations.

TallFlyer
04-21-2018, 04:10 PM
Bottom line, not knowing your exact situation, if you were both working for the same regional and living in base, your lifestyle would be very different about now. Putting your life together first and making it happen should not affect you negatively down the road.

hockeypilot44
04-24-2018, 12:32 PM
You’ve got to figure this out. My wife was great about everything until we had kids. She was never in aviation. She had to quit her job to raise our kids when I’m at work. I realized pretty quickly by just listening to her that going to weekend events by herself was not working. I stopped chasing money and now don’t work a single weekend or holiday. I have to miss things every once in awhile, but I let my wife pick what events I get to miss. She’s happier, kids are happier, and I’m happier. I am also a lot closer with my friends because the weekends is when non-aviation people have their fun. Good luck to you. In my opinion, it’s not worth being in a relationship where you never see each other.

KC135
04-25-2018, 07:10 AM
Where do you live? Maybe apply to G4 if there is a base where you live or could move to. It's really one of the best kept secrets in aviation with no hotels.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1