Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Amazon Prime Pilots

WingOffLight
03-26-2018, 03:19 PM
Some of you have posted on here that a particular pilot group on the CVG ramp is wearing ďAmazon, Prime, Prime AirĒ insignia on their person or gear. Could you post a picture of such acts or send me a picture via pm.

This will provide hours of intertainment in my office Iím sure, as it should. I know exactly where to direct such pictures within Amazon as well.

BluePAX
03-26-2018, 03:41 PM
Some of you have posted on here that a particular pilot group on the CVG ramp is wearing ďAmazon, Prime, Prime AirĒ insignia on their person or gear. Could you post a picture of such acts or send me a picture via pm.

This will provide hours of intertainment in my office Iím sure, as it should. I know exactly where to direct such pictures within Amazon as well.

I saw A guy with a Prime air hat and shirt (https://www.primeairco.com/) on the ramp yesterday.

Lemon Jello
03-26-2018, 05:00 PM

Canít help you with that, but can I interest you in some 2006-2011 vintage pictures of ABX guys with DHL lanyards and bag tags?

thesandbox
03-26-2018, 05:12 PM
Canít help you with that, but can I interest you in some 2006-2011 vintage pictures of ABX guys with DHL lanyards and bag tags?

not ABX....but I think you need to review your history just a little but somehow think you already know it

Lemon Jello
03-26-2018, 05:16 PM
not ABX....but I think you need to review your history just a little but somehow think you already know it

Yes, ABX. I am quite familiar with my history, thanks.

woog315
03-26-2018, 05:29 PM

You do know the entirety of airborne express was actually bought by them, then ABX was spun off due to US regulations prohibiting a foreign entity from owning a domestic transport agency... Right? ABX was supposed to then operate as the DHL airline, then the economy melted down. It's a tiny bit different

Lemon Jello
03-26-2018, 05:43 PM
You do know the entirety of airborne express was actually bought by them, then ABX was spun off due to US regulations prohibiting a foreign entity from owning a domestic transport agency... Right? ABX was supposed to then operate as the DHL airline, then the economy melted down. It's a tiny bit different

Itís not different. You guys want to ascribe all of this terrible behavior to the ATI pilots, but ABX pilots have pretty done much a lot of the same stuff over the course of history. I have no skin in all of the drama (anymore) but I will paraphrase one of my former colleagues: ABX is the architect of the CVG acmi ghetto, and now you are complaining about the neighbors who have moved in. Oh, the irony!

Saafer
03-26-2018, 05:53 PM
Some of you have posted on here that a particular pilot group on the CVG ramp is wearing “Amazon, Prime, Prime Air” insignia on their person or gear. Could you post a picture of such acts or send me a picture via pm.

This will provide hours of intertainment in my office I’m sure, as it should. I know exactly where to direct such pictures within Amazon as well.

Hopefully it will provide you some ENTERTAINMENT as well :-)

woog315
03-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Itís not different. You guys want to ascribe all of this terrible behavior to the ATI pilots, but ABX pilots have pretty done much a lot of the same stuff over the course of history. I have no skin in all of the drama (anymore) but I will paraphrase one of my former colleagues: ABX is the architect of the CVG acmi ghetto, and now you are complaining about the neighbors who have moved in. Oh, the irony!

I wasn't around then, and I don't much care about the 'who has more integrity' arguments, but saying it's the same is plain ridiculous, sorry. I don't hear ABX complaining much about anyone except ATI, who it's hard to argue for when they just made a very poor deal in the most labor favorable market most of us have ever seen.

l8fr82hub
03-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Whatís with the obsession with a few dorks that display Amazon prime on their bags? I agree itís pretty lame, but your obsession with it might be even dorkier.

motorclutch
03-27-2018, 04:54 AM
Wearing a Prime bag tag is like putting a ď13.1Ē sticker in the back of your suv, having never ran a half marathon......
It screams ďwannabeĒ!

hackerbyday
03-27-2018, 05:38 AM
... but I will paraphrase one of my former colleagues: ABX is the architect of the CVG acmi ghetto, and now you are complaining about the neighbors who have moved in.

How is ABX the architect? ABX, until recently, has been the most expensive of all the ACMI carriers. The Germans brought in all the other lower cost carriers to try and bring us down but we held strong and now other ACMIís are finally getting the own. Our dislike for ATI was born out of dislike for JV, crossing of our picket line, and acceptance of this concessionary contract hurting all other carriers still in negotiations.

No Land 3
03-27-2018, 06:10 AM
As an outsider, ABX guys wearing DHL gear while being 100% owned by them is expected. On the other hand, an ATI pilot wearing Prime Air gear is the equivalent of a Mesa CRJ pilot saying he is an AA pilot, or a Mesa ERJ pilot saying they are a United Pilot.
Besides all of that, why would someone want to be employed by Amazon? A company who treats their worker bees worse than J.O. Oh wait, I think we already know the answer to that.

motorclutch
03-27-2018, 06:10 AM
Notice how JV and MW made it easy for ďscabsĒ to emerge? But hey.....JH likes subservient toads!

BoomerSooner
09-26-2018, 08:33 PM

I guess the fact that another airline had the callsign "DHL" through 2012 must have slipped your mind. The slow walk DHL is giving you Gray Pants is well deserved.

gumpscheck
09-27-2018, 09:16 AM
I guess the fact that another airline had the callsign "DHL" through 2012 must have slipped your mind. The slow walk DHL is giving you Gray Pants is well deserved.

Well deserved?? Your envy reeks.
As far as DHL, you might be right. They might be taking down to the slaughter house in a slow walk but only time will tell. We will definitely continue this conversation when them time comes Mr. Sour Grapes Astar.

motorclutch
09-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Tell ASTAR we have a pension

nitefr8dog
09-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Tell ASTAR we have a pension
And ironically..DHL helped fund it with a cash infusion in 2009..

gumpscheck
09-28-2018, 01:48 PM
And ironically..DHL helped fund it with a cash infusion in 2009..

That was part of the deal with Airborne Freight Corp. when they bought it. The funding and the severance package had nothing to do with Astar. I do remember that Astar also walked away with a pretty big severance package. Astar was a completely separate company with a call sign using DHL.

nitefr8dog
09-28-2018, 08:19 PM
That was part of the deal with Airborne Freight Corp. when they bought it. The funding and the severance package had nothing to do with Astar. I do remember that Astar also walked away with a pretty big severance package. Astar was a completely separate company with a call sign using DHL.
Who said it had anything to do with Astar? I was only pointing out how DHL was involved in funding our retirement....it was ironic that it was happening while they were winding Astar down. Also I never mentioned the severance pay......

gumpscheck
09-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Who said it had anything to do with Astar? I was only pointing out how DHL was involved in funding our retirement....it was ironic that it was happening while they were winding Astar down. Also I never mentioned the severance pay......

Wrong, the severance wasnít being paid while Dasburg was shutting down Astar. The severance was being paid when DHL decided to shut down the USA operations and planned on giving everything to UPS for distribution. Another brilliant move.

By the time the ABX pilots were offered the severance, Astar was already shut down by Dasburg. BTW, the ABX management tried to keep those monies for themselves. The ABX pilots had to fight for it. ABX even took a few pilots as hostages by furloughing beyond the real need. Graber can be thanked for that atrocity.

nitefr8dog
09-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Wrong, the severance wasnít being paid while Dasburg was shutting down Astar. The severance was being paid when DHL decided to shut down the USA operations and planned on giving everything to UPS for distribution. Another brilliant move.

By the time the ABX pilots were offered the severance, Astar was already shut down by Dasburg. BTW, the ABX management tried to keep those monies for themselves. The ABX pilots had to fight for it. ABX even took a few pilots as hostages by furloughing beyond the real need. Graber can be thanked for that atrocity.
Like I said ironic...while DHL was dumping/winding down their business with Astar...they where paying millions to ABX retirement. Again as Astar was the golden child...ABX was getting their retirement funded...ironic

FlyAstarJets
09-29-2018, 02:09 PM
Again as Astar was the golden child...

Yes and no. Or more accurately "Yes then no".

In June of '06, Astar Air Cargo (formerly DHL Airways), under the direction of John Dasburg who was hand picked to run the airline by Klaus Zumwinkel Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Deutsche Post, "expressed an interest" to purchase all outstanding shares of ABX Air. Eight months later Zumwinkel, caught up in a European wide tax evasion scheme, resigned from Deutsche Post. After Frank Appel replaced Zumwinkel at DP, all talk of a purchase of ABX air by it's proxy Astar ceased. That's when we (Astar) began seeing the beginning of the end for us.

Four years later in June of 2012, the one airline using the call sign "DHL", as it had since 1969, ceased operations.

nitefr8dog
09-29-2018, 02:26 PM
Yes and no. Or more accurately "Yes then no".

In June of '06, Astar Air Cargo (formerly DHL Airways), under the direction of John Dasburg who was hand picked to run the airline by Klaus Zumwinkel Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Deutsche Post, "expressed an interest" to purchase all outstanding shares of ABX Air. Eight months later Zumwinkel, caught up in a European wide tax evasion scheme, resigned from Deutsche Post. After Frank Appel replaced Zumwinkel at DP, all talk of a purchase of ABX air by it's proxy Astar ceased. That's when we (Astar) began seeing the beginning of the end for us.

Four years later in June of 2012, the one airline using the call sign "DHL", as it had since 1969, ceased operations.
And all of this has what to do with the irony of DHL dumping millions (for whatever reason..purchase agreement, complete US blunder..etc we all lived through that nightmare one way or another and know the facts..)
While they were winding Astar down?

FlyAstarJets
09-29-2018, 02:33 PM
And all of this has what to do with the irony of DHL dumping millions (for whatever reason..purchase agreement, complete US blunder..etc)
While they were winding Astar down?

Just drilling down a little more on YOUR statement "Again as Astar was the golden child..." in post #23 of this thread.

This being a public web board, I didn't know only certain people could only reply to certain posts.

nitefr8dog
09-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Just drilling down a little more on YOUR statement "Again as Astar was the golden child..." in post #23 of this thread.

This being a public wemb board, I didn't know only certain people could only reply to certain posts.

Ok... There are are some great deals on new Toyota's right now being the end of the year....just saying

JustOvIt
10-11-2018, 08:44 AM
soon in your neighborhood..

two sorts... CVG day ILN night

motorclutch
10-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Yeah right.

FlyAstarJets
10-11-2018, 10:34 AM
And AMZ is starting ops out of KRIV. Seems a little late for peak though.

https://inlandempire.us/amazon-to-open-a-new-air-gateway-at-the-march-reserve-base-in-riverside/

Jurassic Jet
10-11-2018, 11:03 AM
soon in your neighborhood..

two sorts... CVG day ILN night

This has been in the rumor mills for several months now. Maybe it will finally happen.

JackStraw
10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
And AMZ is starting ops out of KRIV. Seems a little late for peak though.

https://inlandempire.us/amazon-to-open-a-new-air-gateway-at-the-march-reserve-base-in-riverside/

FedEx outplayed them and bought the crappy hangars they were using in ONT. They have to move to RIV, because they don’t have the facilities to operate anywhere else.. Bunch of amateurs.

gumpscheck
10-11-2018, 12:54 PM
FedEx outplayed them and bought the crappy hangars they were using in ONT. They have to move to RIV, because they donít have the facilities to operate anywhere else.. Bunch of amateurs.

Definitely a bunch of amateurs. They are probably going to use the facility built by DHL soon after buying Airborne Freight Corp. A brand new modern facility that was abandoned after being in use for just a couple of years, more or less. Another bunch of amateurs.

These people manage to stay in business in spite of themselves.

nitefr8dog
10-11-2018, 03:04 PM
FedEx outplayed them and bought the crappy hangars they were using in ONT. They have to move to RIV, because they donít have the facilities to operate anywhere else.. Bunch of amateurs.
Amazon has been pouring concrete for more than a year in Riverside.

MarkThyme
10-11-2018, 10:25 PM

It's unlikely that FedEx "outplayed" anybody. If Amazon didn't buy the hangars, it's because they had no intention of staying there - at least not at that price. Amazon recently moved from PVD to BDL because the airport management was trying to game them and raise the price of doing business there, apparently thinking they were the only game in town. They looked at Amazon and saw $$$$. Amazon gave them a polite one-finger salute and moved on.

Amazon is moving to RIV for a reason. It could be that as a former air force base that RIV has a lot more available ramp space than ONT does. It could be they got a better deal than they could get at ONT. If you look at the map on the Ac-U-Kwik page for RIV (https://acukwik.com/Airport-Info/kriv), you'll see that the ONT6 fulfillment center is right next door. It's almost as if they had a plan.

Some of you "experts" here should just stick to your knitting.

Flaps8posrate
10-12-2018, 02:40 AM
Some of you "experts" here should just stick to your knitting
^^^^ ^^^^
True dat!

nitefr8dog
10-12-2018, 02:53 AM
ONT was never long term....no ramp space, run down building. Amazon has been working on the move to RIV for quite a while. Great facility, huge building and lots of ramp space.

Jurassic Jet
10-12-2018, 04:38 AM
ONT was never long term....no ramp space, run down building. Amazon has been working on the move to RIV for quite a while. Great facility, huge building and lots of ramp space.

I loved it when we were flying out of there for DHL. All the ground power was buried so it was super quiet on the ramp with no GPUs. Nice crew facilities too.

nitefr8dog
10-12-2018, 04:52 AM
I loved it when we were flying out of there for DHL. All the ground power was buried so it was super quiet on the ramp with no GPUs. Nice crew facilities too.
Agreed! Great setup..

Lockheed
10-12-2018, 05:37 AM

That
And we stayed at the Mission Inn !!

Larry in TN
10-12-2018, 05:54 AM
And we stayed at the Mission Inn !!
We did? I was always at the Riverside Marriott which is a block away from the Mission Inn.

Great layover, though. Breakfast on the patio at the Tamale Factory, a hike up Mt. Rubido in the afternoon, and Dinner at Tio's Tacos.

Lockheed
10-12-2018, 05:59 AM
We did? I was always at the Riverside Marriott which is a block away from the Mission Inn.

Great layover, though. Breakfast on the patio at the Tamale Factory, a hike up Mt. Rubido in the afternoon, and Dinner at Tio's Tacos.

Well I was blue
Quess you are (were) gray

midnightshuttle
10-16-2018, 05:57 PM
We will take over the world pinky

Plus we will ger amazon bag tags with secret tracking chips

Roflmao

Hang10
10-18-2018, 08:27 AM
Amazon has no pilots are airplanes? They rent them! So drug test the guys saying they are Amazon Pilots! They will fail it!

iPilot
10-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Amazon has no pilots are airplanes? They rent them! So drug test the guys saying they are Amazon Pilots! They will fail it!

Same goes for regional guys? I'd rather just tell non-pilots I work for United, Amazon, DHL whatever to save time. Nobody cares to go into how you're a contractor in the real world. If the person I'm talking to is into aviation I'll just say the actual company I work for. If I said Amazon and the reply is "oh yeah? Atlas or ATSG?" then I'll elaborate. No reason to go full-nerd in front of some old lady in the hotel elevator.

JackStraw
10-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Same goes for regional guys? I'd rather just tell non-pilots I work for United, Amazon, DHL whatever to save time. Nobody cares to go into how you're a contractor in the real world. If the person I'm talking to is into aviation I'll just say the actual company I work for. If I said Amazon and the reply is "oh yeah? Atlas or ATSG?" then I'll elaborate. No reason to go full-nerd in front of some old lady in the hotel elevator.

You fly cargo; that’s your answer to the ole gal at the elevator. You tell her you fly cargo and watch how quickly she loses interest. Then you don’t have to decide if you’re gonna explain what an ACMI is to a retired schoolteacher or lie about working for Amazon and join the ranks of cheesy ATI pilots.

Skyguy85
10-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Never go full nerd...

HercDriver130
10-19-2018, 11:02 AM
You fly cargo; thatís your answer to the ole gal at the elevator. You tell her you fly cargo and watch how quickly she loses interest. Then you donít have to decide if youíre gonna explain what an ACMI is to a retired schoolteacher or lie about working for Amazon and join the ranks of cheesy ATI pilots.

or even better when you tell them you fly cargo they say..."oh.. so you dont fly commercial......."..... UGH

No Land 3
10-19-2018, 10:14 PM
or even better when you tell them you fly cargo they say..."oh.. so you dont fly commercial......."..... UGH

That's when I say, "What are you? Stupid?"

nitefr8dog
10-20-2018, 04:02 AM
That's when I say, "What are you? Stupid?"

Stupid is as stupid does....

SaltyDog
10-20-2018, 04:35 AM

LOL, one reason switched to saying if must, "am an airborne truck driver, beats being an airborne greyhound bus driver."

akfrtdwg 57
10-20-2018, 01:19 PM

You fly Cargo or freight. No you don't day for Amazon or DHL. These ACMI carriers have many customers. I'd they ask "Oh, who do you fly for?" Then it's "I fly for ABX/ATI/Atlas/Kalitta.". Yes same for regionals. You fly for SkyWest not United, not Alaska or any other mainline. Your employer is who you fly for. Show some pride in who you work for. If you feel the need to embellish your work details your just gonna tick the wrong person off. Never know you could be telling some check airman at said company you fly for them. I've heard of mainline people entrapping people doing that. No one likes embellishers. They paid their dues to be there you haven't. I can tell you from years of experience I tell people the company I fly for. The answer you will here is "Oh" or "Oh cool". No one cares you fly freight for DHL or Amazon.

742Dash
10-21-2018, 10:14 AM

I just tell people that I do not know that I do long-haul freight in an 18 wheeler. It cuts out a lot of stupid conversation.

Tumbl3weed
10-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Wow, who really gives a crap what you tell non-industry people. But, putting a an Amazon tag on your bag or telling another pilot you fly for Amazon or DHL is weak. Shows how insucure you are or the embarrassment you feel admitting who you fly for.

TeamSasquatch
10-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Tell them you fly for the post office. Not many LCAís to P.O. That way....:D

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1