Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Reliable SCAB list?

MaxQ
03-27-2018, 08:18 AM
Does anyone have a link to a trustworthy SCAB list which would include those presently past age 65?
(Specifically Continental)
Looking for one that would include those later given absolution.

Andy
03-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Google it. Any links posted here will be deleted. Heck, this thread will probably be deleted.

MaxQ
03-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Google it. Any links posted here will be deleted. Heck, this thread will probably be deleted.
I have Googled it...to no avail, particularly as to it being trustworthy.
As to being closed, yeah probably right. Will bring out passionate responses but probably no info.

Andy
03-27-2018, 08:59 AM
I can't vouch for the accuracy of the WikiLeaks list that pops up when you google 'scab list,' but it's probably as accurate as you can find. I don't think that any 'forgiven' CAL scabs were removed.

qball
03-27-2018, 09:41 AM
How were the CAL scabs forgiven?

John Carr
03-27-2018, 09:49 AM
How were the CAL scabs forgiven?

Money talks.

As well as a variety of secondary/tertiary reasons.

Some of the comic gold is the ALPA pins they wear with years of ALPA membership, etc.

rickair7777
03-27-2018, 10:09 AM
PM me your email addy. I have one that's at least 15 years old, and goes back to the 1930s.

PowderFinger
03-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Does anyone have a link to a trustworthy SCAB list which would include those presently past age 65?

Just google 'pilot scab list'

Seems to always be at top of the list

PowderFinger
03-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Keep in mind that a few EAL scabs are at United. I believe 6 got hired LUAL before the EAL list came out.

A few EAL SCABs and a few rEAL came through LCAL via a lawsuit settlement.

I can think of one EAL SCAB flying guppy cAP in IAH.

MaxQ
03-27-2018, 11:21 AM
I can't vouch for the accuracy of the WikiLeaks list that pops up when you google 'scab list,' but it's probably as accurate as you can find. I don't think that any 'forgiven' CAL scabs were removed.
Thanks Andy...it gave me the info was looking for

Trowserchilli
03-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Keep in mind that a few EAL scabs are at United. I believe 6 got hired LUAL before the EAL list came out.

And SWA via Airtran

Peoloto
03-27-2018, 11:57 AM
There's a CAL specific one floating around with pictures...

Andy
03-27-2018, 12:20 PM
There were two scabs who flew Spirit struck work. You can find videos on YouTube...

ASI215
03-27-2018, 12:38 PM

Don’t think that there are too many Scabs around due to attrition, the CAL scabs were forgiven by ALPA for the betterment of a greater cause

MO4SHO
03-27-2018, 02:11 PM
I thought the 787 was the fleet with the nickname.

terminal
03-27-2018, 02:57 PM
Don’t think that there are too many Scabs around due to attrition, the CAL scabs were forgiven by ALPA for the betterment of a greater cause

They were not forgiven. They’re still scabs

Bahamasflyer
03-27-2018, 03:01 PM
As someone new to the industry, WHY were there soooo many (several thousand) from CAL and UAL alone back in the 80s?

I read chapter 19 in Flying The Line (I could not put it down it was so gripping) but am still amazed at the sheer number from back then.

Several dozen from then.......sure.....even maybe a few hundred would make sense, but THOUSANDS from CAL and UAL vs just TWO from Spirit in 2010.

Why so many per capita in the 80s compared to Spirit 2010?

rickair7777
03-27-2018, 07:07 PM
As someone new to the industry, WHY were there soooo many (several thousand) from CAL and UAL alone back in the 80s?

I read chapter 19 in Flying The Line (I could not put it down it was so gripping) but am still amazed at the sheer number from back then.

Several dozen from then.......sure.....even maybe a few hundred would make sense, but THOUSANDS from CAL and UAL vs just TWO from Spirit in 2010.

Why so many per capita in the 80s compared to Spirit 2010?

I think in the 80's the airlines tried to break the strikes by hiring professional scabs off the street, in mass. I think the spirit and comair scabs were opportunistic scabs who already were on property.

Short Bus Drive
03-27-2018, 07:24 PM

BUT Jack Bavis said the strike was over!!! So I went back to work...
:rolleyes:

Short Bus Drive
03-27-2018, 07:26 PM

Missing a few that crossed at EAL...

TCASTESTOK
03-27-2018, 10:49 PM
I think in the 80's the airlines tried to break the strikes by hiring professional scabs off the street, in mass. I think the spirit and comair scabs were opportunistic scabs who already were on property.

Remind me again what the comair strike was about?

Bahamasflyer
03-28-2018, 02:24 AM

Thanks Rick that does make sense

PowderFinger
03-28-2018, 03:26 AM
Missing a few that crossed at EAL...

The CAL list never did have those guys listed ... But they are on the master list.

I find the CAL list hard to reference ... I understand why they did it the way they did ....

All scabs are listed in the master list ... Active, retired, or dead.

PowderFinger
03-28-2018, 03:29 AM
BUT Jack Bavis said the strike was over!!! So I went back to work...
:rolleyes:

Larry ? Is that you?

PowderFinger
03-28-2018, 03:41 AM
I thought the 787 was the fleet with the nickname.

Yeah ... Originally it was mostly SCABs on it ... The SCABliner... Now it's more 'diversified '.

BarrySeal
03-28-2018, 04:57 AM
I thought most of the aforementioned Scabs were dead/retired at this point.

no ?

what is the purpose of these Scab lists today, 2018 ? (legit question, I don't know)

rickair7777
03-28-2018, 06:49 AM
I thought most of the aforementioned Scabs were dead/retired at this point.

no ?

what is the purpose of these Scab lists today, 2018 ? (legit question, I don't know)

A few of them are not retired yet. I suppose you could filter the list by using DOB or date of strike to remove those who must be retired. But keeping the list intact does send a message to potential wannabe scabs that they will be remembered.

deltajuliet
03-28-2018, 07:47 AM
Trying to find it. Any leads appreciated.
...the CAL scabs were forgiven by ALPA for the betterment of a greater cause
Were some of them given an adjusted hire date or anything like that?

terminal
03-28-2018, 07:58 AM
The two Spirit scabs weren't employed by Spirit.
Not to mention the Spirit strike only lasted a few days whereas the United and Continental strikes lasted much longer...United lasted a month, Continental lasted almost two years.

hockeypilot44
03-28-2018, 08:02 AM
I’ve found most CAL scabs will tell you straight up that they are scabs. Just ask him/her if he/she crossed the picket line. Most of them are proud of it and will tell you it’s the best decison they ever made. Not kidding.

Master of FiFi
03-28-2018, 08:03 AM
A few of them are not retired yet. I suppose you could filter the list by using DOB or date of strike to remove those who must be retired. But keeping the list intact does send a message to potential wannabe scabs that they will be remembered.

I made a column on mine that gives number of days until their 65 birthday. That column gives just over 300 still on property. That does not exclude anyone who left early for any reason. The last one still has 10 years left.

Bahamasflyer
03-28-2018, 11:37 AM
Purely hypothetical question of course....

If the EAL strike had taken place today, would the number of scabs be a lot less than it was more than 30 yrs ago due to social media and the internet making it a lot easier to be shamed compared to the 80s when there was no digital footprint like today?

I would think (and hope) so.

deltajuliet
03-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Thing of it is, a lot of pilots coming into the regionals have no idea what a scab is. Either they’re too young to have seen this stuff go down in the 80’s, or they’re second career types with no knowledge of industry history or strike etiquette. It’s difficult to go down that road with a mentally unprepared labor group that says, ”We’re gonna do what?”

I reject the term millennial and the idea that anybody under 35 is only out for him or herself. However, “those who don’t know their history,” etc. People will have to know that crossing the line is not only wrong, but absolutely, unconditionally wrong before social media will have an impact.

horrido27
03-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Most current list is dated 18-Aug-15

Goes by alphabetical order.

Have it on all my devices, and Airdrop it often~

Motch

PS> Also have the Continental Picture list. But it's old and data is not current with regards to those pilots fleet and bases. But it's also something~

EMBFlyer
03-28-2018, 12:42 PM
I thought the Continental guys had were having a sticker made shortly after the Age 60 rule changed.

It was going to be, "Scab Free in 2023!" with a line through it followed by "Prater Made Us Wait 'Til 2028!"

Qotsaautopilot
03-28-2018, 08:04 PM
So who’s are going to be the 12 787 pilots Boeing is providing to avianca after they fired over 100 pilots that legally struck including 12 787 pilots. The strike is over but all these pilots were then fired. As far as I’m concerned these Boeing pilots will be scabs the second they push off the gate on an avianca Flight.

PowderFinger
03-29-2018, 04:15 AM
Purely hypothetical question of course....

If the EAL strike had taken place today, would the number of scabs be a lot less than it was more than 30 yrs ago due to social media and the internet making it a lot easier to be shamed compared to the 80s when there was no digital footprint like today?

I would think (and hope) so.

A really high percentage of guys went out ... Initially. Over time (short time for some) some more guys crossed. Then the mass stampede that fall. I have never seen a breakdown of how many of the original eal pilots crossed. Would like to.

A few weeks in a massive recruiting effort started to find any qualified (sufficient flight time/no backbone) new hire applicants to cross the line and experience the dream job.

I know that, sadly, this recruiting effort was very successful throughout the southeast.

They signed up so many that they couldn't be trained for months. They stayed in seclusion at the Doral and would go in to the Hartly building once a week for an assignment then work on their own.

While it took a looong time to turn a wheel, the company used the 'applicant numbers', and later the stampede numbers in the court system to keep the strikers off the property.

pilotgolfer
03-29-2018, 01:35 PM

No such thing as a trustworthy scab.

TransWorld
03-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Any idea how many scabs are currently flying / under 65?

The 5-Jun-04 list has 5,799 on the list. Most look like they were scabs during the 1980s. I would be willing to bet a large majority are retired or deceased.

Could be down to hundreds active, rather than thousands.

Is there a list who’s link can be posted here? The search words “Pilot scab list” does not seem to bring up anything other than the 2004 list, which was not filtered for retired or deceased back then. Any suggestion on key words?

rickair7777
03-29-2018, 06:31 PM
Any idea how many scabs are currently flying / under 65?

The 5-Jun-04 list has 5,799 on the list. Most look like they were scabs during the 1980s. I would be willing to bet a large majority are retired or deceased.

Could be down to hundreds active, rather than thousands.

Is there a list who’s link can be posted here? The search words “Pilot scab list” does not seem to bring up anything other than the 2004 list, which was not filtered for retired or deceased back then. Any suggestion on key words?

I don't think Internet Brands wants us posting it here (liability).

TCASTESTOK
03-30-2018, 07:57 AM
Found this on another forum about how some scabs are still out there.

I had a fed tell me one time to never let another fed on the jumpseat. We fly to MYR with Fed#1. Seems like an nice guy. Getting off the plane, another Fed, #2, approaches the plane. They have words, it's apparent there is beef between them. #2 boards, he's mad, and says, "Don't ever let that POS on the plane again!"

Turns out #2 is a rEAL, and #1 is a bonafide EAL scab. Even showed me #1's name on the list. Incidentally, this is where I acquired my first copy of "The List."

He was serious too. Told me to do everything possible to keep the scab off the plane in the future.

Shrek
03-30-2018, 08:15 AM

I had a fed tell me one time to never let another fed on the jumpseat. We fly to MYR with Fed#1. Seems like an nice guy. Getting off the plane, another Fed, #2, approaches the plane. They have words, it's apparent there is beef between them. #2 boards, he's mad, and says, "Don't ever let that POS on the plane again!"

Turns out #2 is a rEAL, and #1 is a bonafide EAL scab. Even showed me #1's name on the list. Incidentally, this is where I acquired my first copy of "The List."

He was serious too. Told me to do everything possible to keep the scab off the plane in the future.

LOVE the rEAL guys :cool:

rickair7777
03-30-2018, 10:47 AM

That might be a bridge too far. What are you going to do, bleed down the O2 after he shows up?

PowderFinger
03-30-2018, 01:41 PM

My kind of FED ... #2 that is ... fed #1 not so much.

PowderFinger
03-30-2018, 01:43 PM
That might be a bridge too far. What are you going to do, bleed down the O2 after he shows up?

Mesa guys have low O2 all the time ... 1580psi. Lol. :)

TCASTESTOK
03-30-2018, 07:28 PM
So what is rEAL? Is a an original EAL pilot? I get that the other guy was a EAL scab.

badflaps
03-31-2018, 03:39 AM
So what is rEAL? Is a an original EAL pilot? I get that the other guy was a EAL scab.

Eggezzakly, like Mentos and orange soda.

PowderFinger
03-31-2018, 03:44 AM

rEAL is an original Easter pilot who did not cross the picket line. The SCABs comprise the other component and includes original pilots that crossed the line, the original pilots that stampeded across the line, and of course those who crossed the line as new hires after being told they were 'Special'.

Of course all SCABs have a 'special' place in most hearts.

TCASTESTOK
03-31-2018, 06:19 AM
Dont GoJet and TSA also have scab lists?

rickair7777
03-31-2018, 07:10 AM
Dont GoJet and TSA also have scab lists?

There's a gojet and Mesa/Freedom A List floating around.

Those are alter-ego pilots, not scabs. Different flavor of scum.

hilltopflyer
03-31-2018, 02:23 PM
There's a gojet and Mesa/Freedom A List floating around.

Those are alter-ego pilots, not scabs. Different flavor of scum.

What did mesa/freedom do? I know go jets.

Hetman
03-31-2018, 05:28 PM

Same thing as Gojet. IIRC, Mesa/Freedom was first.

"Different flavor of scum." Perfectly stated.

BluePAX
03-31-2018, 05:41 PM
rEAL is an original Easter pilot who did not cross the picket line. The SCABs comprise the other component and includes original pilots that crossed the line, the original pilots that stampeded across the line, and of course those who crossed the line as new hires after being told they were 'Special'.

Of course all SCABs have a 'special' place in most hearts.

I’m interested on what those new hires were told and by whom. Did this fall under some new hire not covered by the union situation?

hilltopflyer
03-31-2018, 06:05 PM
I’m interested on what those new hires were told and by whom. Did this fall under some new hire not covered by the union situation?

Doesn't matter. You were replacing a work group that was out on strike. That makes you a scab (or a worthless human being your choice)

Hetman
03-31-2018, 09:16 PM
I remember "The 570" from the 1985 United strike.

Adlerdriver
03-31-2018, 09:35 PM
I remember "The 570" from the 1985 United strike.I'm not sure what you think you remember, but those folks don't belong in any discussion involving scabs - just the opposite. They were hired by UAL and it was assumed they would all cross. They all refused, honored the picket line and lost their jobs as a result. It took ALPA years and a trip to the supreme court to win their jobs back.

PowderFinger
04-01-2018, 04:28 AM
I'm not sure what you think you remember, but those folks don't belong in any discussion involving scabs - just the opposite. They were hired by UAL and it was assumed they would all cross. They all refused, honored the picket line and lost their jobs as a result. It took ALPA years and a trip to the supreme court to win their jobs back.

All applied knowing that a strike was on the horizon.

Due to the looming strike a few slid through that United would not have hired otherwise.

They hired on and trained knowing their real mission was to break a strike.

ALPA found out what was going on and was finally able to get names and make contact and make use of the time before the strike.

ALPA put a lot of work into holding their hands so to speak to keep them from crossing. A great successful effort on the part of ALPA.

I applaud the ALPA folks like JL that kept them from crossing.

6 did cross as SCABs if I recall correctly.

Adlerdriver
04-01-2018, 04:56 AM
All applied knowing that a strike was on the horizon. :confused: So, they shouldn't have applied to a major airline that was hiring because contract negotiations weren't going well and a strike was one possible (but hardly guaranteed) outcome? Is that what you're saying?

Due to the looming strike a few slid through that United would not have been hired otherwise. Okay - if you say so. I think a far greater concern would have been the large number of "Fleet Quals" scabs hired during that same period. Otherwise un-hirable misfits with various skeletons whose only "in" was the fact they were current and qualified in the left or right seat of one of the aircraft UAL was currently operating. Hired directly into those aircraft, out of seniority, fully knowing they were doing so to break the strike and take the jobs of those on the picket line.

6 did cross as SCABs if I recall correctly. Then those 6 weren't part of the 570. If those 6 hadn't crossed, the group would have been referred to as the 576. None of the 570 crossed the picket line.

Hetman
04-01-2018, 05:07 AM
No, I remember. I should, however, have been more clear. I mentioned the 570 because they did not cross.

CRJ700Master
04-01-2018, 05:14 AM
So, if I'm in training and the pilot group goes on strike while I'm in training, and I continue training with hopes the job action is resolved before OE begins. I would be considered a SCAB? just trying to keep future actions in check and avoid joining the list if this situation would arise.

The list I have seen is very old. I would say half the guys are retired or dead.

TransWorld
04-01-2018, 05:46 AM
The list I have seen is very old. I would say half the guys are retired or dead.

If it is the same list as I am looking at, most of the SCABS were from the mid-1980s or before. I would be willing to bet at least 90% of the guys are retired or dead. Bet there are only a couple hundred, out of five thousand + that are still flying.

PowderFinger
04-01-2018, 05:57 AM
Well now I feel really bad. Dusty was a 570 and I asked him why he F(Fornication Under Consent of the Kingdom)king SCABed. :p

Late 84 or early 85 I was flying 135 charter. Me and several other guys were approached in the FBO parking lot by a guy with a stack of United applications. He said United was hiring. One guy asked about the ongoing conflict. The United rep said yes they were hiring guys to train and then bring aboard at a later date. I asked do you mean as a SCAB if there is a strike? He avoided the direct question but reassured us that if there was not a strike we would be brought on at a later date. I declined taking an app. The guy that brought up the question of the conflict refused. One guy wasn't qualified and one guy did take an app. This was beyond negotiations that were not going well. There was no question that they were looking for people willing to SCAB for a chance at the big time.

The 570 refers to this group that were trained for future use. 6 did cross and yes Dusty is a SCAB and is on the list.

The Fleet Quals and 539 did came later.

Just curios Adler, are you a 570 that didn't return?

Adlerdriver
04-01-2018, 06:04 AM
So, if I'm in training and the pilot group goes on strike while I'm in training, and I continue training with hopes the job action is resolved before OE begins. I would be considered a SCAB? If I understand correctly, the union defines struck work before officially going out. In the past, that was typically revenue generating flying, not training.

Adlerdriver
04-01-2018, 06:16 AM
Just curios Adler, are you a 570 that didn't return? No. Just read the books and flew with some of them when I was there. The bottom line is when it came down to it, they made the right decision. And did it with no guarantee the outcome would result in them being UAL pilots when the strike was over.

PowderFinger
04-01-2018, 06:17 AM
If I understand correctly, the union defines struck work before officially going out. In the past, that was typically revenue generating flying, not training.

True. However, the EAL strike included those in training. EAL had hired more SCABs than they could reasonably expect to train in a normal footprint. Some were 'in training' more than 8 months (the longest example I know of ... Could have been some longer). When the stampede occurred in the fall it was worse. Guys were put up at the Doral for seclusion and given assignments on their weekly visit to Hartley.

EAL took those phenomenal numbers of new hires, crawl backs , and stampeders to the courts to show they had all the pilots they needed to operate and thereby keeping the strikers off the property once the strike was over.

PowderFinger
04-01-2018, 06:23 AM
No. Just read the books and flew with some of them when I was there. The bottom line is when it came down to it, they made the right decision. And did it with no guarantee the outcome would result in them being UAL pilots when the strike was over.

I agree that in the end, 564 did the right thing.

I have flown with many myself and most are fine to fly with.

When discussing the subject with them I find some of the details are conveniently missing.

The real hero in the situation is ALPA discovering the situation and turning a potential disaster into a win.

Qotsaautopilot
04-01-2018, 08:09 AM
So when do the Boeing pilots start flying avianca 787 flights?

PowderFinger
04-01-2018, 01:36 PM
So when do the Boeing pilots start flying avianca 787 flights?

Yeah ... What an ugly situation. Avianca guys have been screwed.

M5000
04-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Someone with some good skills could make a free app that could scan the most recent seniority lists and display pics by base and equipment. Maybe an easy website. Maybe a Dropbox

deltajuliet
04-03-2018, 04:52 AM
Quick sidebar on this.

For those unfamiliar, MAG management created Freedom in 2002 to work around the pesky Mesa pilots as they negotiated for a better contract. Why bother with that when you can just transfer CRJ's from one subsidiary to another non-Union one? Mesa crews started showing up to the airport to find a Freedom crew already there boarding their airplane; suddenly it was now a flight operated by Freedom. And there was no cancellation pay for the Mesa crew. Flying was being stolen literally right in front of them. It was to a point that Mesa was in very real danger of no longer existing as Freedom grew and grew, screwing every pilot on the Mesa seniority list royally.

The only obstacle for management was getting pilots for this new operation, and it was immediately obvious to every pilot at Mesa that going there would be a very bad thing. If everyone said no to switching, it would've stopped management dead in their tracks.

But there are always those just looking out for #1, sadly, and it was enough for an initial cadre. A few senior Captains went over for big bonuses (I've heard around $30,000, but can't verify that), others for boosted pay rates (of course no future pilots would get those pay rates). Junior Captains and FO's jumped over to suddenly increase their relative seniority tenfold. Now a 3-year FO was walking onto a Freedom flight with 4 bars on his shoulders as a 12-year Mesa Captain lost his 4-day.

Needless to say our negotiating position for that contract was decimated, and what's more the contract we secured several years later that included the scope language that killed Freedom was a lucky fluke, and even then the rest of the contract was **** poor to get that language. Essentially, no other improvements could be made, so because of this whole Freedom fiasco we're 1-2 contracts behind every other regional. That's how Mesa got to be what it is today.

All those Freedom A Listers? The guys who knowingly back stabbed every other Mesa pilot for money and career progression? They now fill the ranks of management pilots and check airmen.

rickair said it well.

CA1900
04-03-2018, 10:17 AM

Or at Netjets. I know they have a few.

5Ypilot
04-08-2018, 06:32 AM
What about the 8 ATI pilots that crossed ABX for premium pay NOV 2016?

No Land 3
04-10-2018, 06:18 PM

Mainline guys don’t care about that.

Lovemesomboobs
09-14-2018, 11:49 AM

ABX stike was illegal . PLUS they only flew their freight not ABX freight.

White Cap
09-15-2018, 09:26 AM
ABX stike was illegal . PLUS they only flew their freight not ABX freight.

Sure. Welcome to the SCAB list.

Lovemesomboobs
09-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Sure. Welcome to the SCAB list.

Lol yea right. I would never cross a picket line.
How did that strike work out for ya ?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1