Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Kiwi123
03-27-2018, 10:41 PM
The roadway east of the ORD is Route 45 and driving south past the airport tonight saw an AA plane execute a go round just west of the fenceline, seemed not 100 ft above the runway.

Climb out west just fine but wondered what the cause was ... Looked like a 737-800 but not sure. It WAS an unusual sight to see ...

Twin Wasp
03-28-2018, 03:19 AM
No that rare at ORD. ATC packs planes on final and if someone doesn't clear the runway fast enough the tower has no option but to send the next plane around.

Pilot X
03-28-2018, 05:30 AM
The roadway east of the ORD is Route 45 and driving south past the airport tonight saw an AA plane execute a go round just west of the fenceline, seemed not 100 ft above the runway.

Climb out west just fine but wondered what the cause was ... Looked like a 737-800 but not sure. It WAS an unusual sight to see ...

Do you have Zulu time set in your car?

disco inferno
03-28-2018, 05:52 AM
I'm not sure why he didn't just get on his hand held and ask the crew himself. It was probably right there next to his E6B.

Frip
03-28-2018, 07:00 AM
Idjit.......

C130driver
03-28-2018, 07:22 AM

Most people can add six?

Pilot X
03-28-2018, 07:33 AM
Most people can add six?

I guess in life outside of flying you stay on Zulu time as well?

sumwherelse
03-28-2018, 07:52 AM
Whatís Zulu time?

Name User
03-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Most people can add six?

I just google it. I'm bad with all the time zone changes, daylight savings or no daylight savings, it makes my head hurt.

jcountry
03-28-2018, 09:43 AM
Come on guys.....

Quit being so mean.

A low altitude go around probably looks pretty strange to the uninitiated. The non-airline pilot might not realize that we can even do touch and goes. Works great in the sim!

Al Czervik
03-28-2018, 09:47 AM
737’s tend to go around because they are monumental POS.

Name User
03-28-2018, 10:15 AM
737ís tend to go around because they are monumental POS.

Kinda like how helicopters are so ugly the earth repels them?

EMBFlyer
03-28-2018, 12:51 PM

At least we have the option.

https://giant.gfycat.com/BlandIcyKarakul.mp4

jcountry
03-28-2018, 01:43 PM

Even most POSs have more elbow room than a 737.

(It's what happens when you design a plane-and try to make that design keep working for half a century or so.)

Kiwi123
03-28-2018, 02:54 PM
If I had a "do over" I'd a done my own go 'round on the post.
No biggy & t/y the replies.

PS re Zulu - I actually added 5 hrs to local time at first, but CST just had a "spring ahead" time change & I'm still an hour behind - story of my life.

drinksonme
03-28-2018, 07:53 PM

How well does that 737 do a single engine go-around again?

Had a friend at United who was training on the 787, just so happy, to tell me about how Ďit could do a single-engine go-aroundí.......he came off the 737. I actually was shocked to learn the closet spaced machine didnít have that type of logic....considering how awesome it is......😐

Iíd also like to thank SWA and AA for the prehistoric cockpit on the 737, even the Max and NG.........and United for making sure the world had to suffer with a yoke on the 787. Youíd think all these old military dogs would embrace the stick. Maybe take them back to the late 70ís, the 80ís, and early 90ís when they were flying fighters....🧐

aa73
03-28-2018, 08:12 PM
I don’t understand what your UAL friend is talking about... the 737 does SE go arounds just fine. Otherwise it wouldn’t be certified.

Does it have the same SE GA performance of a 787... no... but it does just fine.

Not really understanding why everyone here has such a hard on for the trusty 737. Been on it 6 years and she has treated me just fine. Flies great, keeps the pilot skills going, and very intuitive to fly. I don’t recall this level of unhappiness during the 737-200, -300, -400 days... folks loved ‘em back then. Is it an -800 issue?

Also not understanding what the big deal about a yoke is. Sure the side stick is plenty comfy, but Good Lord guys, we’ve had yokes for how many decades...how did we ever manage?

Bunch of my LUS friends back in the day when they first got Airbii used to tell me they loved flying their 737 Classics the best. No clue what changed.

Sure it’s a cramped cockpit compared to many other aircraft... again, what changed back in the day of the 737 classics? Nobody seemed to complain back then. And yes there were plenty of more roomy flight decks.

Love the 737, probably will stay on it most of my career. (Domestic NB flier.) I have no doubt the Airbus is a great plane, just don’t have any desire to go back to a long course for the same pay.

Al Czervik
03-29-2018, 03:02 AM

as long as we donít have a rudder hard over.

Kebert Xela
03-29-2018, 03:02 AM
I donít understand what your UAL friend is talking about... the 737 does SE go arounds just fine. Otherwise it wouldnít be certified.

Does it have the same SE GA performance of a 787... no... but it does just fine.

Not really understanding why everyone here has such a hard on for the trusty 737. Been on it 6 years and she has treated me just fine. Flies great, keeps the pilot skills going, and very intuitive to fly. I donít recall this level of unhappiness during the 737-200, -300, -400 days... folks loved Ďem back then. Is it an -800 issue?

Also not understanding what the big deal about a yoke is. Sure the side stick is plenty comfy, but Good Lord guys, weíve had yokes for how many decades...how did we ever manage?

Bunch of my LUS friends back in the day when they first got Airbii used to tell me they loved flying their 737 Classics the best. No clue what changed.

Sure itís a cramped cockpit compared to many other aircraft... again, what changed back in the day of the 737 classics? Nobody seemed to complain back then. And yes there were plenty of more roomy flight decks.

Love the 737, probably will stay on it most of my career. (Domestic NB flier.) I have no doubt the Airbus is a great plane, just donít have any desire to go back to a long course for the same pay.

Well said and I agree. Guess pilots just need to complain or feel better about whatever they ďcontrolĒ. Either way the box is figuring it out.... yoke, stick, fantasy, illusions of grandeur

Defend your aircraft, check.
Continue acting like a child over who flies what..... Company wins (No matter WHOMEVER you fly for)

Last time I looked weíre supposed to be in it together. Guess Iím just a newbie. Thought I left high school decades ago.

Al Czervik
03-29-2018, 03:04 AM
I donít understand what your UAL friend is talking about... the 737 does SE go arounds just fine. Otherwise it wouldnít be certified.

Not really understanding why everyone here has such a hard on for the trusty 737. Been on it 6 years and she has treated me just fine. Flies great, keeps the pilot skills going, and very intuitive to fly. I donít recall this level of unhappiness during the 737-200, -300, -400 days... folks loved Ďem back then. Is it an -800 issue?

Also not understanding what the big deal about a yoke is. Sure the side stick is plenty comfy, but Good Lord guys, weíve had yokes for how many decades...how did we ever manage?

Sure itís a cramped cockpit compared to many other aircraft... again, what changed back in the day of the 737 classics? Nobody seemed to complain back then. And yes there were plenty of more roomy flight decks.

Love the 737, probably will stay on it most of my career. (Domestic NB flier.) I have no doubt the Airbus is a great plane, just donít have any desire to go back to a long course for the same pay.

Heís saying the AP will fly a single engine go around.

aa73
03-29-2018, 04:19 AM
Heís saying the AP will fly a single engine go around.

Ok well that makes sense. I donít think the lack of that one item, or lack of elbow room, necessarily makes the plane a POS but thatís just me... guess Iím glad I still get to do that pilot stuff every now and then.

Sliceback
03-29-2018, 08:58 AM
You can do the pilot stuff on an AB. Itís a choice.

Back in the days of the 737 classic most carriers didnít have the AB as an option. The backup choice was frequently the DC-9. All of these jets are better than those choices.

Guys can always fly todayís jets in Ďroseí mode and only use heading select and altitude hold as well as manually tune their VORís and track the VOR using heading select. A guy wanted to do that years ago on a trans con with me. It didnít happen.

aa73
03-29-2018, 09:30 AM
Slice your saying that because today the AB is around, itís a better option? Both aircraft have their pluses and minuses, but I wouldnít say that just because the AB is around today, it makes the 737 a POS. Far from it, the 737 does its mission just fine and is a joy to fly.

And what you call ďpilot stuffĒ on the AB is a different animal than the Boeing. Iím not slamming AB at all but when I click off the 737 A/P and roll into a turn, I still have to manually trim through it... not an option on the AB....Just slap the stick over and release it and the plane stays at that angle. Letís face it, itís not at all the same pilot stuff. Sure I probably work harder than my AB compadres when I hand fly but I happen to greatly enjoy that part.

Flying in rose/arc using VORs... ummm, no. However, once or twice a month on a VFR Approach I do click it all off.. AP, AT, FD Off, turn the HUD way down and hand fly using rose/arc mode on a visual. Keeps my skills sharp.

Again not slamming the AB, I highly admire it but I donít think calling the 737 a POS just based on comfort levels or having a yoke and being more old school. Thatís precisely why I love it (and the -80 too!) And hey if I had a chance at flying a DC-9 vs an AB for the same pay I wouldnít even hesitate, Iíd be all over the -9 in a heart beat. Old school!

Sliceback
03-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Trim is only for speed changes. 777 and 787 have a trim system more automated than the 737 but less automated than the ABís.

Guys whoíve flown both the 737 and AB overwhelming prefer the AB job. Not everyone but the majority.

Theyíre all good jobs. Some are better than others. And sometimes the type of flying dictates oneís preference. 737 transcons? Iíve yet to hear anyone praise the 737 for that mission. The biggest problem on the AB with that mission is cold feet. Space and noise isnít an issue.

Throw a G4 airplane, of any type, on transcons and it will be rated higher than it will be if itís doing Shuttle flying.

PRS Guitars
03-29-2018, 03:16 PM
AA73,

That’s the beauty of this job...one man’s trash is another’s treasure. It’s great to have first world choices like this. And of course we all have a price, if I could be 10% on the 737 vs 60% on the bus (not sure where that line actually lies for me:cool:), I’d definately be tempted.

aa73
03-29-2018, 10:39 PM
Amen...perfectly stated.

SONORA PASS
03-29-2018, 11:47 PM

Kiwi,

My guess with tight spacing at ORD would be runway was not clear, but it could easily be one of several other reasons.

If you wanted to spend time the time to listen to ATC calls to that flight you can go on sites like LIVEATC"dot"NET and select ORD then scroll down to the Tower Frequencies and select the date and time. Flight Tracking websites can help if you need to determine what runway they were approaching. While the ORD Tower audio may not explain why that aircraft went around, it probably does.

Hope that helps,

SP

meyers9163
04-01-2018, 04:11 AM
AA73,

Thatís the beauty of this job...one manís trash is anotherís treasure. Itís great to have first world choices like this. And of course we all have a price, if I could be 10% on the 737 vs 60% on the bus (not sure where that line actually lies for me:cool:), Iíd definately be tempted.

I can agree and many who have flown both would on average agree. I would take a slightly lower relative seniority to fly the airbus all things considered. The space in the airbus makes it just a nice work environment. The procedures etc too. However the Boeing you shoot all approaches the same way and it has power. No need to use different buttons to shoot approaches. The rest of the stuff eh who cares? I agree most who actually have time on both would say Airbus. Bring me an airbus whoís trust move itís probably more like 100%.

R57 relay
04-02-2018, 06:25 PM

The 737 was your first captain bid at AA, right? How dare someone insult your Lady!

My take on the 737. My Dad went to work for Piedmont in 1968, the same year that N734N, a basic 737-200 was delivered. It was the first airplane I flew on at the ripe old age of 3. In 1987 it was also the first 737 that I flew on a line trip for Piedmont. So it has a special place in my heart.

For about 8,000 hours I flew the 737-200(basic and advanced), 737-300 and 737-400. When I flew them, I loved them. Then I flew the 757, 767 and A320. The 737 is a good airplane, but I don't care to spend any more time in them. My hearing and back have had enough.

I don't know about the -800 or MAX, but the I found the rest of the 737's a bit light on their feet. Tracking and stopping on slippery runways wise.

The biggest adjustment I had on the A320 was not the non-moving thrust levers, but auto trim. After all those years on the 737, I just didn't know what to do with my thumb anymore.

Enjoy your love. There is nothing wrong with that.

aa73
04-02-2018, 08:36 PM
Yes indeed, first CA upgrade but flew right seat for 3000 hrs so no stranger to it!

Great story R57 and appreciate the input. I guess I pretty much love any airplane Iím currently flying. ;)

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1