Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

hilltopflyer
03-30-2018, 04:00 AM
Let's start keeping track of how bad we are at on time proformance. Here's the latest month. I guess we could just copy everything for the next few months.

https://usat.ly/2GllOUP
In last place we have
18. JetBlue Airways, 65.8%

Total OT percentage average for all airlines (including regionals) was 79.6%

P-3Bubba
03-30-2018, 04:28 AM
Itís staffing and incentives. I bet if we had a CBA weíd Slide up a notch or two.

Hereís another one. Forbes said we lost $318mil in delays last year. How about every flight that you operate and that pushes on Time AO, GO, Pilots and Inflight get $5. Gordon Bethune proved that incentivizing labor markers equals positive results. Thatís how he turned around Continental in the 1990ís.

Got called twice this week past 11pm on a day off. Please help? Ferry a jet. Stranded customers. Big help. $VDA. CS said a crew ďcalled outĒ. This was all via voicemail because I didnít answer, call back or help out.

-Bubs

rvr1800
03-30-2018, 04:45 AM
Itís staffing and incentives. I bet if we had a CBA weíd Slide up a notch or two.

Hereís another one. Forbes said we lost $318mil in delays last year. How about every flight that you operate and that pushes on Time AO, GO, Pilots and Inflight get $5. Gordon Bethune proved that incentivizing labor markers equals positive results. Thatís how he turned around Continental in the 1990ís.

Got called twice this week past 11pm on a day off. Please help? Ferry a jet. Stranded customers. Big help. $VDA. CS said a crew ďcalled outĒ. This was all via voicemail because I didnít answer, call back or help out.

-Bubs

I believe that AO is already incentivized for OTP.

blueballs
03-30-2018, 04:53 AM
Give me a CBA and I’ll bend over to get that on time. Until then FUPM!!! Last night I got called out on reserve. I was the only pilot available on reserve. Give me a CBA and I may not need a full 2hrs to get to the airport and we would go on time. I certainly can’t take an Uber without a CBA. If the company can’t open its wallet for me than I can’t for them. SOP only

P-3Bubba
03-30-2018, 05:13 AM
Give me a CBA and Iíll bend over to get that on time. Until then FUPM!!! Last night I got called out on reserve. I was the only pilot available on reserve. Give me a CBA and I may not need a full 2hrs to get to the airport and we would go on time. I certainly canít take an Uber without a CBA. If the company canít open its wallet for me than I canít for them. SOP only

See, BB gets it.

I didnít know that AO is incentivized OT. However, theyíre just one cog in the machine. Again itís partial management from our broken layers of vice presidential powers that be.

In MCO last month, I sat on my hands with a jittery AO barking orders at my FAís after a crew swap. I briefed the FAís, asked what the deal was and got a ďneeds the OTĒ back. Ok. No prob. But....I canít get an OT if I donít have the release. So when the ďready to go?Ēcame 20 minutes later I said ďI donít have the release.Ē

Do youíre job. Nothing more nothing less.

Letís get a CBA and be rewarded at market rate for how much we contribute to this company.

-Bubs

capt707
03-30-2018, 06:10 AM
I know we suck, but it will be interesting to see when DL and those guys will have to include their regional feed into their on-time stats next quarter.

FUPM!

hilltopflyer
03-30-2018, 07:29 AM
I know we suck, but it will be interesting to see when DL and those guys will have to include their regional feed into their on-time stats next quarter.

FUPM!

Their regionals are better than us. So it'll still be higher. The average was 10% higher than us. I think they'll be just fine.

Packrat
03-30-2018, 07:52 AM

Always strive to help other employees excel at their jobs.

Rabid Seagull
03-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Give me a CBA and I’ll bend over to get that on time. Until then FUPM!!! SOP only

At what point do we lose that future willingness? A contract could come tomorrow and I still believe that the problems here are internal with the "partial management from our broken layers of vice presidential powers that be." (P3 is correct), or as I say "The interns". I fear this summer.

But I'll experiment, FUPM now and I'll worry about other workgroups later.:D

hilltopflyer
03-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Always strive to help other employees excel at their jobs.

Yep. We need to stop enabling the gate agents, the rampers, dispatch and especially crew scheduling. Dispatch knows you need a release, gate agents know you have to have a release to push, scheduling knows where you are, and tampers know you need a bag count or are at the gate ready to push. We don't have to remind everyone to do their job. Do yours and yours only.

P-3Bubba
03-30-2018, 08:44 AM
Yep. We need to stop enabling the gate agents, the rampers, dispatch and especially crew scheduling. Dispatch knows you need a release, gate agents know you have to have a release to push, scheduling knows where you are, and tampers know you need a bag count or are at the gate ready to push. We don't have to remind everyone to do their job. Do yours and yours only.

Exactly. Thatís the value of this pilot group. We always do the extra step. Throwing bags. Pushing wheelchairs. Calling for this and that on the phone and radios. So, now we take a break from that. Suddenly our value is revealed. I love J Martins Ops email today. Heís definitely got to be sweating as these dismal OT keep hitting the press.

-Bubs

crash312
03-30-2018, 06:39 PM
I believe that AO is already incentivized for OTP.

They are...the incentive is to not get beat with a stick.

PasserOGas
03-31-2018, 04:38 AM
They are...the incentive is to not get beat with a stick.

I heard they have to repeat the values while they are being whipped.

queue
04-03-2018, 08:45 PM
See, BB gets it.

I didnít know that AO is incentivized OT. However, theyíre just one cog in the machine. Again itís partial management from our broken layers of vice presidential powers that be.

In MCO last month, I sat on my hands with a jittery AO barking orders at my FAís after a crew swap. I briefed the FAís, asked what the deal was and got a ďneeds the OTĒ back. Ok. No prob. But....I canít get an OT if I donít have the release. So when the ďready to go?Ēcame 20 minutes later I said ďI donít have the release.Ē

Letís get a CBA and be rewarded at market rate for how much we contribute to this company.

-Bubs

What ended up being the delay code? Did they blame you? Did you send in your own report saying the release showed up X minutes late?

This communique is for entertainment purposes only. It does not implicitly or explicitly acknowledge employment with any air carrier nor is any relationship implied. This communique does not represent the opinions or policies of ALPA or JB ALPA and does not represent the collective pilot group, ALPA, nor does it imply collective bargaining, advocacy, or workforce actions intended to disrupt operations.

queue
04-03-2018, 09:12 PM

BINGO.

Guys, the entire system is set up by management bean counters because they know that human nature is to do the best job you can, particularly professional pilots. So, they will tighten the tolerances as much as possible. Your natural reaction will be to jump higher. That is the problem... you WILL jump higher because of human nature. Fight this because you're only enabling sub-par behavior from all your support staff.

If the release shows up 20 minutes late, then that's 20 minutes less you have to read NOTAMs and all your other flight planning responsibilities. In the end, they are rushing you and creating a safety hazard but ultimately it is you who will be blamed since you had the choice as the ultimate safety authority.

If the FA's give their 20 minute brief to the pax without buzzing you for the push, just sit there and wait. SOP requires you to hear from them before pushing. Don't enable them.

If the FA's have cabin issues, let them deal with it. You're not there to do their job for them. They can use the bat-phone to call someone. CRO's are there for a reason.

If you have already pushed and you need to call maintenance, do a phone patch. They are not giving you a company phone so don't subsidize the operation by letting them use your personal cell phone. Use the tools they give you.

If you see any issue with the airplane, WRITE IT UP. Remember than if it can't be deferred, you are not legal to fly. Plain and simple. Don't let them negotiate with you into letting them fix stuff without it being written up. Write it up, let them fix it. This is the FAA's process.

Do all of your tests properly. Make sure ALL the lights work as advertised. I won't go into any details, but you might find out something interesting if you ask around. Pilots have to know how to test stuff properly. If it doesn't work, write it up. Don't accept resets and pulling CBs to put the problem into a "cannot duplicate" scenario. This is unsafe. These aren't 1950's era aircraft with lots of nuisance trips. These new airplanes are not designed to have acceptable levels of resets or false indications. There is no tolerance unless the AFM says so.

Most importantly, always give everyone service with a smile. Do not express anger, frustration, or criticism against an FA, gate agent, dispatcher, etc. The company has not put you over them as a supervisor so don't work for free. It's usually better to remain silent than to be negative. It's possible to be completely outwardly nice to everyone while still working within the system (e.g. filing reports). If you turn the argument into an emotional one with people who thrive on it, you will lose. There are people getting in trouble for superficial behaviors to non-pilot personnel.

If need be, file a Safety Action Report but remember that this is an internal company document that they could cover up. Better yet, if you see a safety issue caused by OTP, people not doing their jobs, or people putting you in an unsafe position, don't hesitate to skip all the internal company coverups, go straight to the FAA.

https://hotline.faa.gov/

This communique is for entertainment purposes only. It does not implicitly or explicitly acknowledge employment with any air carrier nor is any relationship implied. This communique does not represent the opinions or policies of ALPA or JB ALPA and does not represent the collective pilot group, ALPA, nor does it imply collective bargaining, advocacy, or workforce actions intended to disrupt operations.

PasserOGas
04-04-2018, 04:10 AM
BINGO.

Guys, the entire system is set up by management bean counters because they know that human nature is to do the best job you can, particularly professional pilots. So, they will tighten the tolerances as much as possible. Your natural reaction will be to jump higher. That is the problem... you WILL jump higher because of human nature. Fight this because you're only enabling sub-par behavior from all your support staff.

If the release shows up 20 minutes late, then that's 20 minutes less you have to read NOTAMs and all your other flight planning responsibilities. In the end, they are rushing you and creating a safety hazard but ultimately it is you who will be blamed since you had the choice as the ultimate safety authority.

If the FA's give their 20 minute brief to the pax without buzzing you for the push, just sit there and wait. SOP requires you to hear from them before pushing. Don't enable them.

If the FA's have cabin issues, let them deal with it. You're not there to do their job for them. They can use the bat-phone to call someone. CRO's are there for a reason.

If you have already pushed and you need to call maintenance, do a phone patch. They are not giving you a company phone so don't subsidize the operation by letting them use your personal cell phone. Use the tools they give you.

If you see any issue with the airplane, WRITE IT UP. Remember than if it can't be deferred, you are not legal to fly. Plain and simple. Don't let them negotiate with you into letting them fix stuff without it being written up. Write it up, let them fix it. This is the FAA's process.

Do all of your tests properly. Make sure ALL the lights work as advertised. I won't go into any details, but you might find out something interesting if you ask around. Pilots have to know how to test stuff properly. If it doesn't work, write it up. Don't accept resets and pulling CBs to put the problem into a "cannot duplicate" scenario. This is unsafe. These aren't 1950's era aircraft with lots of nuisance trips. These new airplanes are not designed to have acceptable levels of resets or false indications. There is no tolerance unless the AFM says so.

Most importantly, always give everyone service with a smile. Do not express anger, frustration, or criticism against an FA, gate agent, dispatcher, etc. The company has not put you over them as a supervisor so don't work for free. It's usually better to remain silent than to be negative. It's possible to be completely outwardly nice to everyone while still working within the system (e.g. filing reports). If you turn the argument into an emotional one with people who thrive on it, you will lose. There are people getting in trouble for superficial behaviors to non-pilot personnel.

If need be, file a Safety Action Report but remember that this is an internal company document that they could cover up. Better yet, if you see a safety issue caused by OTP, people not doing their jobs, or people putting you in an unsafe position, don't hesitate to skip all the internal company coverups, go straight to the FAA.

Post of the week.

cmesoar
04-04-2018, 04:46 AM
Post of the year.

fixed it for ya! :D

Fly safe and Fly SOP

hilltopflyer
04-04-2018, 04:56 AM
BINGO.

Said it better than this dumb redneck.

P-3Bubba
04-04-2018, 05:26 AM
What ended up being the delay code? Did they blame you? Did you send in your own report saying the release showed up X minutes late?

AO got lucky. As he was running for the release the #1 told me that a piece of cabin moulding had dislodged from the exit row and the customer was uncomfortable that the jet was breaking. No prob. I called Tech Ops. AO saved.

-Bubs

Speedbird2263
04-04-2018, 08:34 AM
BINGO.

Very well said.

P-3Bubba
04-05-2018, 07:10 AM
Anyone flying in the system last night? What a mess. April 4th and they were struggling. Yeah it was windy but thatís about it. Massive delays and Iím sure JMartin abs RH weíre crying about ATC. WAH! How about if there were a few more pilots on the line. Pull some jets out and close up some holes. Nope. Cost savings plan!! We sucked bad last night and Iím sure there will be lots of customers who are no longer loyal to Jb. This summer is going to be a delay and cancellation fiasco. Remember the the 2017 FLL Spirit riot? Iím positive that the companyís lack of good will in putting together a plan for this company, itís aircraft and the people who fly them is catching up in a BIG way.

-Bubs

RiddleEagle18
04-05-2018, 01:54 PM
They of course will blame the summer on us. Forgetting the last 10 years leading up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilotpayne
04-05-2018, 06:25 PM
BINGO.

Totally agree.

Especially about taking it out on FAs or AO they just think you are being a jerk. Take the extra few seconds to explain our SOP and why we literally can get in trouble if we donít follow it.

It is EXTREMELY difficult for me not to want to solve problems or grease the wheels a little, but to combat that on my iPad home screen I have a picture of the chart that shows JetBlue makes the most per passenger vs ANY OTHER airline. Itís a good as they would say at OSC memory jogger.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1