Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Lugar
03-30-2018, 08:58 PM
Suppose Iím assigned to fly CKS847. The flight goes WUH-ANC-ORD.

Is there a different crew flying WUH-ANC than the one that flies ANC-ORD? I assume yes.

How many pilots are assigned to the flight? Two?

Assuming thereís a crew swap in ANC, how long is that layover likely to be? Is the layover likely to terminate deadheading to another airplane, or by crewing a plane out of ANC?

Birdsmash
03-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Welcome to ACMI. Yes to all of your questions or insert ďit variesĒ if ďyesĒ does not answer your questions.

HercDriver130
03-30-2018, 10:06 PM

Is there a different crew flying WUH-ANC than the one that flies ANC-ORD? I assume yes.

Assuming thereís a crew swap in ANC, how long is that layover likely to be? Is the layover likely to terminate deadheading to another airplane, or by crewing a plane out of ANC?

too many variables. WUH ANC is blocked 9 hours...so at least three pilots. ANC ORD is blocked 6 hours could be basic but probably not. could double up and do the whole thing as a double crew...well within double crew duty day.

Lugar
03-30-2018, 10:12 PM
too many variables. WUH ANC is blocked 9 hours...so at least three pilots. ANC ORD is blocked 6 hours could be basic but probably not. could double up and do the whole thing as a double crew...well within double crew duty day.

Thank you!

International flying really lights my soul on fire.

Iíve got a job offer from Emirates, and an interview offer from American. Truth is, as crazy as people say I am for feeling this way, American just does nothing for me. Emirates with lots and lots of international flying is more my style. Kalitta would be awesome too; home based and flying the backside of the clock, heavy intíl. Whatís not to love?! That would be the happy medium.

All insight is much appreciated.

jhugz
03-30-2018, 10:20 PM

It depends. We sometimes do that route single pilot w/ a pilot swap in ANC. Otherwise our FME will come up and sit in the observer seat and we then can operate it all the way through. Once in a blue moon though we recall a couple flight engineers and mount the two observer seat sideways and we can round trip it.

No Land 3
03-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Thank you!

Iíve got a job offer from Emirates, and an interview offer from American. Truth is, as crazy as people say I am for feeling this way, American just does nothing for me. Emirates with lots and lots of international flying is more my style. Kalitta would be awesome too; home based and flying the backside of the clock, heavy intíl. Whatís not to love?! That would be the happy medium.

Hmm, flying backside of the clock? No, itís flying on all sides of the clock, which I think is much better than only flying on the backside of the clock. And with all the time zone changes, your body no longer knows what time of day it is, or cares. You can only sleep when tired, and eat when hungry. After being on the road for 16 days doing this, it will take some time to get re-acclimated, hence why I am wide awake right now but went to bed at around 7pm.
Your earlier question, you can expect at minimum 11 hours layover when you get to the hotel, unless you are a slut and agreed to something different to pad your time sheet.

Lugar
03-30-2018, 10:22 PM
It depends. We sometimes do that route single pilot w/ a pilot swap in ANC. Otherwise our FME will come up and sit in the observer seat and we then can operate it all the way through. Once in a blue moon though we recall a couple flight engineers and mount the two observer seat sideways and we can round trip it.

What decides which of the above you do? Wasnít aware that a flight engineer in the observer seat would extend duty time allowable.

Lugar
03-30-2018, 10:24 PM
Hmm, flying backside of the clock? No, itís flying on all sides of the clock, which I think is much better than only flying on the backside of the clock. And with all the time zone changes, your body no longer knows what time of day it is, or cares. You can only sleep when tired, and eat when hungry. After being on the road for 16 days doing this, it will take some time to get re-acclimated, hence why I am wide awake right now but went to bed at around 7pm.
Your earlier question, you can expect at minimum 11 hours layover when you get to the hotel, unless you are a ***** and agreed to something different to pad your time sheet.

Thanks, that information helps.
On flights like that which is referenced above, is there a lot of talk in the cockpit or are the pilots pretty quiet when flying? Any of your pilots bringing along a Bluetooth aviation headset and tuning into some tunes on the longer legs?

No Land 3
03-30-2018, 10:25 PM
What decides which of the above you do? Wasnít aware that a flight engineer in the observer seat would extend duty time allowable.

Uhm, no. The classic days, the FE counted as a third pilot.
Two pilots are limited to 8 hours scheduled on the 400.

jhugz
03-30-2018, 10:25 PM

Depends on how much catering is on the airplane and if they add a 5th flight attendant.

Lugar
03-30-2018, 10:29 PM
Depends on how much catering is on the airplane and if they add a 5th flight attendant.

Troll Alert!

No Land 3
03-30-2018, 10:34 PM
Troll Alert!

Wait, you are the troll, and Iím the sucker.

Lugar
03-30-2018, 10:37 PM
Wait, you are the troll, and Iím the sucker.

Ha, Iím not a troll. Just trying to make some career decisions and thereís something about Kalitta which really piques my interest. Probably worth an interview to explore.

jhugz
03-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Ha, Iím not a troll. Just trying to make some career decisions and thereís something about Kalitta which really piques my interest. Probably worth an interview to explore.

Iíll put in a good word for you with charters.

HercDriver130
03-31-2018, 12:18 AM

More importantly than any of this stuff.... as a CA at K4 I expect you to show up at least semi rested, ready to work, please please leave your personal problems at home, there is no room for that crap at work in this environment. DONT come to work sick.. thats what sick leave is for.... I have no desire to spend 16 hours locked up in a tube with someone who is sick and getting the rest of us sick. STAY in the books, and be ready to fly. There are a lot of moving parts to get a 747 from point A to point B... and we as the flight crew while important are just part of the equation.... help to get it done. Rant over.

p.s. Jhugz is just busting on Lugar....

Lugar
03-31-2018, 02:11 AM
More importantly than any of this stuff.... as a CA at K4 I expect you to show up at least semi rested, ready to work, please please leave your personal problems at home, there is no room for that crap at work in this environment. DONT come to work sick.. thats what sick leave is for.... I have no desire to spend 16 hours locked up in a tube with someone who is sick and getting the rest of us sick. STAY in the books, and be ready to fly. There are a lot of moving parts to get a 747 from point A to point B... and we as the flight crew while important are just part of the equation.... help to get it done. Rant over.

p.s. Jhugz is just busting on Lugar....

Great insight, especially the part about being sick. I completely agree. Nobody wants to be near anyone who is sick and spreading germs. Having one pilot sick may be slightly problematic, but nowhere near as problematic as having the entire crew sick!

Lockheed
03-31-2018, 03:17 AM

That has got be the funniest thing i've read on here in long time
Thanks

HercDriver130
03-31-2018, 03:20 AM
That has got be the funniest thing i've read on here in long time
Thanks

^^^^^^^^ agreed

No Land 3
03-31-2018, 04:13 AM
Someoneís been doing CA IOE?

Av8er1550
03-31-2018, 04:41 AM

Also, just a tid bit of info I heard regarding Emirates. Itís not commutable at all. They actually take your passport from you when you return back into base for your 1-3 days off in between trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluePAX
03-31-2018, 04:49 AM

Yea call up your buddy Connie and see if the interview, a formality obviously, further piques your interest ( anyone interested just look at his post history). Without wasting more time on this it honestly sounds like you are a few gallons short of a full tank.

C130driver
03-31-2018, 06:51 AM
Also, just a tid bit of info I heard regarding Emirates. Itís not commutable at all. They actually take your passport from you when you return back into base for your 1-3 days off in between trips.

Sounds like active duty, F that.

Gillegan
03-31-2018, 07:09 AM

Well you got it partly right - it is not commutable at all but no, they do not take your passport between flights.

HeavyDriver
03-31-2018, 10:19 AM

How did you pass an interview at EY? You don't seem to have a basic knowledge of the industry at all. Just an observation that 30 years of experience has allowed me Lugar. If you want to pretend to be what your not, that's entertaining for us, and it will show during your training. It always does. But if you do have the experience then go take a job and go fly what your want. As you point out to everyone the industry has been lost without your airmanship.

Lugar
03-31-2018, 10:30 AM
How did you pass an interview at EY? You don't seem to have a basic knowledge of the industry at all. Just an observation that 30 years of experience has allowed me Lugar. If you want to pretend to be what your not, that's entertaining for us, and it will show during your training. It always does. But if you do have the experience then go take a job and go fly what your want. As you point out to everyone the industry has been lost without your airmanship.

EY? My offer is with EK, not EY.

How did I pass an interview with EK? Best advice that I can give you is just to be yourself .. speak from the soul and answer the questions honestly.

DC8DRIVER
03-31-2018, 02:53 PM

And FYI Lugar: If you turn BOTH observers seats sideways with two FE's, you can fly with only one pilot in the cockpit.

jhugz
03-31-2018, 02:55 PM
And FYI Lugar: If you turn BOTH observers seats sideways with two FE's, you can fly with only one pilot in the cockpit.

Hopefully that will get addressed in the next arbitration.

TallFlyer
03-31-2018, 03:25 PM
Thank you!

So I reminded of a post I recently saw on another message board:
I'm always amazed when I read statements like: "I have no interest in flying for a major airline." OK, choice is good, but I can't help but think that these folks simply do not like money as much as I do.
While you're obviously looking at airline gigs and not corporate, the upcoming retirement situation is so huge that APA has recently made a prediction of 10 years to Widebody CA for recent new hires.

You can certainly try EK or K4, which would require living in Dubai and gone 16 days a month, respectively, or you can pay some dues and get on at an airline that is going to see over 2/3rds of its current pilot cadre retire in the next 15 years, and live in the US while doing it, and still spend a good portion of your career in widebody aircraft.

You should really consider the overall opportunity cost.

Or maybe you're just a troll.