Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : How is Compass interview?

friend
03-30-2018, 10:27 PM
Reading some previous post and seems like compass interview is all about HR and getting to know you. No technical or written test. Are they really that desperate For right side bodies and let the training department weed out poor candidates. What is the pass ratio of new hires and how many sim do they give before the AQP check.

mpet
03-30-2018, 10:35 PM
it's the same as every other regional.

VIRotate
03-31-2018, 03:48 AM
Itís mostyl HR, TMAAT, WWYD questions. Nothing technical. They just want to see your decision making. Still see about 1-2 people failing to pass the interview.

Not sure how many sims but the failure rate is higher due to the older individuals and rotor we are getting now. It is AQP. If you study hard, you wonít have a problem.

DiamondDriver
04-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Completed the interview in the last week. Was successful, all questions are as described. Looking for decision making, and understanding your role as an f/o. Focus on safety and understanding, while also making sure to exhibit qualities that would make you someone your crew would want on a trip outside of the aircraft.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Completed the interview in the last week. Was successful, all questions are as described. Looking for decision making, and understanding your role as an f/o. Focus on safety and understanding, while also making sure to exhibit qualities that would make you someone your crew would want on a trip outside of the aircraft.

Did you get the burrito crm question?

mpet
04-01-2018, 08:37 PM
"sounds like you'll fly into thunderstorms for 'teh lulz' and that sideslips are better than configuring early for 27 at SAN but my God that's the best answer to the burrito puzzle we've heard yet, you're hired! Welcome to compass"

DiamondDriver
04-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately no burrito questions which was very disappointing since that was what I focused a majority of my prep on.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Unfortunately no burrito questions which was very disappointing since that was what I focused a majority of my prep on.

Haha good man

DirectArchi
04-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Mine was a 45-minute HR-based interview back in March, administered by a Captain. Nothing super technical. Easy HR questions, such as...

"Your Captain says/does this during taxi, how would you react? Preflight turns up this squawk on a last leg of a four-day trip, WWYD? Ever have a checkride failure and how did you recover from this setback? Ever bust an FAR, and what did you learn from it?"

Pretty obvious stuff, maybe one challenging question just to see how you react to the occasional 'unanswerable question'. Just sit up straight, be friendly, relax and you'll be fine. Wear a conservative suit and tie. Have your logbooks tabbed for quick reference. Be open and honest about any struggles you may have had in your past training, you're a human being after all. Got the conditional job offer on the spot.

After much deliberation, I turned down a couple other regional offers and am joining the CPZ Team. I have researched this quite a bit, and although its not perfect, for pilots on the Left Coast CPZ looks like a great place to grow. See ya on the line!

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Mine was a 45-minute HR-based interview back in March, administered by a Captain. Nothing super technical. Easy HR questions, such as...

"Your Captain says/does this during taxi, how would you react? Preflight turns up this squawk on a last leg of a four-day trip, WWYD? Ever have a checkride failure and how did you recover from this setback? Ever bust an FAR, and what did you learn from it?"

Pretty obvious stuff, maybe one challenging question just to see how you react to the occasional 'unanswerable question'. Just sit up straight, be friendly, relax and you'll be fine. Wear a conservative suit and tie. Have your logbooks tabbed for quick reference. Be open and honest about any struggles you may have had in your past training, you're a human being after all. Got the conditional job offer on the spot.

After much deliberation, I turned down a couple other regional offers and am joining the CPZ Team. I have researched this quite a bit, and although its not perfect, for pilots on the Left Coast CPZ looks like a great place to grow. See ya on the line!

Awesome! Thanks to the report. Glad you're coming. I'll be the guy rappin snoop dogg during push back

"Rollin down the street ...."

DirectArchi
04-03-2018, 09:29 PM
"...right here on the station that plays only platinum hits... that's 187.4 on your radio dial..."
:D

SnowmanKiller
04-04-2018, 05:41 AM
Might be off topic but for interviews is there any benefit to meeting with recruiters at a job fair compared to directly scheduling an interview?

There is a job fair in about a month I'm looking at in Vegas with one or two companies I'd be interested in (Compass being one of them). I am not sure if one month is enough time to prepare for the interview though.

Am I being too cautious if I don't go to the job fair and spend another few weeks or a month preparing?

Also, I understand Compass doesn't own their planes and the contract ends in 2020. If the upgrade is 2-3 years how much of a risk am I running by coming to Compass should they accept me? Could I be looking for a new regional in 2 years?

Thanks

poorflyer
04-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Also, I understand Compass doesn't own their planes and the contract ends in 2020. If the upgrade is 2-3 years how much of a risk am I running by coming to Compass should they accept me? Could I be looking for a new regional in 2 years?

Thanks

The million dollar question no one can answer. Plenty of rumors all over but we won't know till the day comes. We're trying to push management to tell us more but unfortunately it's a private company and has no responsibility to relay their future plans. That's just the life of regional airlines. It's the Wild West and the mainline leaders pull our strings so we fight each other.

Excargodog
04-04-2018, 07:02 AM
Might be off topic but for interviews is there any benefit to meeting with recruiters at a job fair compared to directly scheduling an interview?

There is a job fair in about a month I'm looking at in Vegas with one or two companies I'd be interested in (Compass being one of them). I am not sure if one month is enough time to prepare for the interview though.

Am I being too cautious if I don't go to the job fair and spend another few weeks or a month preparing?

Thanks

God willing, you will either be getting your golden 1000TPIC in 2 years or being an FO for Spirit or Frontier and looking at getting your TPIC there in a few more years for three times the money.

At a minimum in two years you'll have 1300 hrs of TSIC and a type rating you don't have now which will make you a more valuable commodity than you are now and the majors will still be retiring people at a rate not previously seen in your lifetime and still increasing, heading for the peak retirement period in 2022-23.

That's no lead pipe cinch of course, but it's the best opportunity nonmilitary-trained guys have had to get to the majors since .... well, ever.

Just interview. Call the recruiting office wherever you want to go and schedule it. If not with Compass then with whoever the heck will give you an interview. If they give you an interview they are looking to hire you.

If you have choices, go to the place you can actually live in base, or at least easily commute to base. And go to someplace that then will actually FLY you, not leave you on reserve somewhere you'll be struggling to make consolidation time on that new rating.

And wherever you go, find someplace that the training system isn't FUBAR, which a lot of them seem to be right now. Don't waste the next month dithering or the next six months trying to get through a screwed up training department. You have an opportunity many of your predecessors only dreamed about. Don't waste it.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-04-2018, 07:28 AM
The million dollar question no one can answer. Plenty of rumors all over but we won't know till the day comes. We're trying to push management to tell us more but unfortunately it's a private company and has no responsibility to relay their future plans. That's just the life of regional airlines. It's the Wild West and the mainline leaders pull our strings so we fight each other.

Well said po'flyer

SnowmanKiller
04-04-2018, 07:39 AM
God willing, you will either be getting your golden 1000TPIC in 2 years or being an FO for Spirit or Frontier and looking at getting your TPIC there in a few more years for three times the money.

At a minimum in two years you'll have 1300 hrs of TSIC and a type rating you don't have now which will make you a more valuable commodity than you are now and the majors will still be retiring people at a rate not previously seen in your lifetime and still increasing, heading for the peak retirement period in 2022-23.

That's no lead pipe cinch of course, but it's the best opportunity nonmilitary-trained guys have had to get to the majors since .... well, ever.

Just interview. Call the recruiting office wherever you want to go and schedule it. If not with Compass then with whoever the heck will give you an interview. If they give you an interview they are looking to hire you.

If you have choices, go to the place you can actually live in base, or at least easily commute to base. And go to someplace that then will actually FLY you, not leave you on reserve somewhere you'll be struggling to make consolidation time on that new rating.

And wherever you go, find someplace that the training system isn't FUBAR, which a lot of them seem to be right now. Don't waste the next month dithering or the next six months trying to get through a screwed up training department. You have an opportunity many of your predecessors only dreamed about. Don't waste it.

I'm Mil getting out with about 800 hours heavy MEL time. In terms of not messed up training department how is Compass? Horizon? What regionals have GOOD training departments and good timelines to get out flying metal and not twiddling thumbs?

JetDoc
04-04-2018, 08:54 AM

Well, there is the fact of the new crew badges saying "Property of Delta AIRLINES" on the back (FO I am flying with has a new one) instead of "Property of Compass Airlines". I have no idea of what to read into that but it has to mean something. My personal opinion? I think staffing levels are intentionally being kept low preparing for an early return of the Eagle airplanes to Envoy with Compass being acquired by Delta and folded into the Endeavor certificate as a turn key 175 program. Again, just conjecture on my part but what I can tell you as someone who has spent 25 years in the 121 industry is that the only thing constant is change. Something is afoot at the Circle-K. Only time will tell if it will benefit us or hurt us. Enjoy the ride.

poorflyer
04-04-2018, 10:30 AM
As much as I'd like to believe, I have a feeling it's just a stack of cards they found/borrowed in building C to make some badges. I'd be interesting to know if Endevour badges have the same thing.

TillerThriller
04-04-2018, 11:51 AM
As much as I'd like to believe, I have a feeling it's just a stack of cards they found/borrowed in building C to make some badges. I'd be interesting to know if Endevour badges have the same thing.

My buddy sent me a pic of the back of his Endeavor one and it is the same as what our new idís look like. Prolly just like u said though, they ran out and knowing Compass they were like these will work.

collegedropout9
04-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Student of mine just got hired. Yes, the back of his ID says it belongs to Delta. Got a quick ATP-CPT course and is done with that, and he is currently doing home study. Headquarters told him that they are going to hire classes of 6-8/week for the next 10 weeks. Says there are very few FO's available system wide. CD9

JetDoc
04-04-2018, 12:54 PM
My buddy sent me a pic of the back of his Endeavor one and it is the same as what our new idís look like. Prolly just like u said though, they ran out and knowing Compass they were like these will work.

Plausible but honestly, do you think delta would approve? As protective of their brand as they are? The fact that we also fly for AA. I think they would go bananas. I also think that some of you are missing the point that a crew badge is a FAA approved document. An airline just cant make changes to it without CMO approval but these days at Compass who knows. I would ask about it in the AM during the call but I'll be airborne. I hope indeed someone does ask but then again I already know the answer. B.G. " I was unaware and I will look into it." LOL.

VIRotate
04-04-2018, 02:27 PM
The fact that we are excited to be acquired by Delta and merged with 9E (losing 20 AA birds in the process) says miles about TSH and managements decisions the past few years.

Fr8Thrust
04-04-2018, 09:33 PM
The fact that we are excited to be acquired by Delta and merged with 9E (losing 20 AA birds in the process) says miles about TSH and managements decisions the past few years.

LMAO

<filler>

Poser765
04-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Plausible but honestly, do you think delta would approve? As protective of their brand as they are? The fact that we also fly for AA. I think they would go bananas. I also think that some of you are missing the point that a crew badge is a FAA approved document. An airline just cant make changes to it without CMO approval but these days at Compass who knows. I would ask about it in the AM during the call but I'll be airborne. I hope indeed someone does ask but then again I already know the answer. B.G. " I was unaware and I will look into it." LOL.but, why?if delta hasn't purchased us yet, why would they go ahead and start bringing things in line with delta? That's a pretty awkward cart to place front of the horse.

Does the faa care what's on the back if it? Do they care where the card stock comes from? I don't know but I strongly doubt it.

We either ran out of Compass stock and Sally asked her friend Jenny in building c if we could have a box, or found a box of old delta stock we used to use.

VIRotate
04-05-2018, 01:13 PM
but, why?if delta hasn't purchased us yet, why would they go ahead and start bringing things in line with delta? That's a pretty awkward cart to place front of the horse.

Does the faa care what's on the back if it? Do they care where the card stock comes from? I don't know but I strongly doubt it.

We either ran out of Compass stock and Sally asked her friend Jenny in building c if we could have a box, or found a box of old delta stock we used to use.

Well Sally created one heck of a rumor!

Poser765
04-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Well Sally created one heck of a rumor!Oh hell, it doesn't matter. A pilot could walk through the hq, see the quality assurance manager eating ribs and start the rapid running rumor that delta is buying us because BBQ is popular in Georgia, I guess?

VIRotate
04-05-2018, 03:46 PM
Oh hell, it doesn't matter. A pilot could walk through the hq, see the quality assurance manager eating ribs and start the rapid running rumor that delta is buying us because BBQ is popular in Georgia, I guess?

It would have to be Chick Fil a and sweet tea! ;)

Poser765
04-05-2018, 07:49 PM
It would have to be Chick Fil a and sweet tea! ;)point. And now I know what's for lunch tomorrow!

N914FJ
04-09-2018, 12:13 AM
I believe Endeavor badges also say "Delta Connection" on the front. Ours don't

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1