Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

viking1995
03-31-2018, 06:23 AM
Hope you all can help me out?

New to forum.

Former military pilot (48 years old), with over 3,000 hours, turbo-jet and turbo-prop time, lots of ratings, etc, however, I have been non-current and have not flown at all in about two years.

I'm looking to transition into the airlines, but realize not being current will be an issue.

Would Allegiant hire someone who is non-current and not has flown in two years? My goal would be to fly locally out the new base Ft Walton Beach Airport (VPS) as well.

I have other questions about Allegiant insurance for family, etc that I can research on my own, but if you can shed any light on this I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

ecam
03-31-2018, 06:26 AM

New to forum.

Former military pilot (48 years old), with over 3,000 hours, turbo-jet and turbo-prop time, lots of ratings, etc, however, I have been non-current and have not flown at all in about two years.

I'm looking to transition into the airlines, but realize not being current will be an issue.

Would Allegiant hire someone who is non-current and not has flown in two years? My goal would be to fly locally out the new base Ft Walton Beach Airport (VPS) as well.

I have other questions about Allegiant insurance for family, etc that I can research on my own, but if you can shed any light on this I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

My suggestion would be go fly for a regional and get current. By then we should be hiring again. We have many military pilots who took a 3-12 month detour through a regional to get current.

LoFly
03-31-2018, 06:42 AM
My suggestion would be go fly for a regional and get current. By then we should be hiring again. We have many military pilots who took a 3-12 month detour through a regional to get current.
What this guy said. First year pay at regionals is now pretty doable, some are offering 20-30k just to sign up.
Military and regional experience has proven to be the perfect recipe for major and legacy

JustWatching
03-31-2018, 11:42 AM

New to forum.

Thank you.

We have hired many non current former military pilots. Your best bet would be to attend a job fair and introduce yourself.

9easy
04-01-2018, 09:22 AM
Not current probably wouldn't work... But luckily the regionals are hiring anyone and everyone so I would go there for 6 months, get current and some 121 time. Hiring will pickup again especially for 2019, Allegiant is getting 17 more airbus next year.

viking1995
04-02-2018, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

baseball
04-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Go rent a bonanza with a CFI. one hour, approaches, stalls, etc. Go rent a twin with a CFII/MEI

Do a BFR (new terminology insert here).

Do an Instrument Refresher clinic.

Renew your CFI.

You can get current again in about a week.

For about 650.00 and a weeks work you can get current. 3 takeoffs and landings in 90 days....simple.

rickair7777
04-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Go rent a bonanza with a CFI. one hour, approaches, stalls, etc. Go rent a twin with a CFII/MEI

Do a BFR (new terminology insert here).

Do an Instrument Refresher clinic.

Renew your CFI.

You can get current again in about a week.

For about 650.00 and a weeks work you can get current. 3 takeoffs and landings in 90 days....simple.

Current is the leagl minimum. Recency depends on the airline, most want 100-200 hours in the last 12-24 months. There's more flexibility on that now (especially at regionals).

tailendcharlie
04-03-2018, 08:36 AM
I was hired in 2010 basically non-current, having not flown for hire for 18 mos. due to furlough. I did as suggested went out and flew a 172 & a sim and got current before applying.

dutch rudder
04-03-2018, 08:48 AM
I was hired in 2010 basically non-current, having not flown for hire for 18 mos. due to furlough. I did as suggested went out and flew a 172 & a sim and got current before applying.

Different market in 2010 though.

tailendcharlie
04-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Different market in 2010 though.
Yeah it was a lot worse (for pilots)

jegermeister
04-04-2018, 04:31 AM
Yeah it was a lot worse (for pilots)

And this was a different airline. The days of coming here as an alternate to the regionals ended with the new contract.

Hiring minimums change over time and with different circumstances. Just before we stopped hiring, I recommended a retired F-15 guy with a Phd. and was told he looked promising, but needed more 121 time.

I'm guessing they want 121 time to keep upgrades flowing when we go back into growth mode next year.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1