Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.




View Full Version : Commuting from Tulsa


CowboyPilot79
04-01-2018, 04:14 PM
Searched but didn't see anything...

Anyone commute from Tulsa (preferably to DAL)? How hard is that? Thanks!!


ZapBrannigan
04-01-2018, 04:33 PM
Space positive in your car is easiest! [emoji6]

I used to commute from XNA. 90% of the time I was able to catch American no problem from there to DFW, and then ride the Dart rail to my crashpad near Love. The other 10% I drove the 2 hours to TUL. That seemed harder, mostly because of the additional 2 - 3 hours I would give myself to get there.

When I was commuting to OAK however, I used TUL exclusively. Why? Because I was commuting HOME from OAK on FedEx. Iíd take SW to the west coast (via PHX or LAS), but to maximize my time at home I would commute home overnight on FedEx (most of the time). TUL was my only option. Itís as good a commute as any.

Personally, when you account for the fact that you want to be at the airport an hour early to sign up for the jumpseat, plus travel time, plus TSA, plus giving yourself a flight or two, etc... Iíd probably buy a used Prius and just drive it.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CowboyPilot79
04-01-2018, 06:52 PM
Thank you for the info...that's kind of what I'm thinking too at this point. Dallas is an easy drive down 75.


Bruno82
04-01-2018, 07:12 PM
I ran into a DFW AA pilot who lived in Tahlequah. He drove almost every time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e6bpilot
04-01-2018, 11:16 PM
There are lots of Tulsa commuters in Houston and they donít seem to have much trouble.
There is always a late flight back, making many PM trips commutable on both sides.
I live in OKC and choose to fly to HOU rather than the 3-4 hour drive to Dallas. Being centrally located makes it easy to pick up trips in HOU, DAL, DEN, and ATL as well as the occasional BWI, LAS, and PHX.
Talk to other Tulsa commuters and figure out what works best for you. As commuter cities go, Tulsa is a good one.

Westpac15
04-02-2018, 08:47 AM
I just finished my hardline month after IOE in PHX and commuted it from TUL. Flights were usually always full but the good news is I didnt run into another pilot commuter doing that route. Not sure if I was just lucky or no one commutes that pair. That being said i was in either the cockpit JS or the 4th 75% of the time.

BarrySeal
04-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Space positive in your car is easiest! [emoji6]

I used to commute from XNA. 90% of the time I was able to catch American no problem from there to DFW, and then ride the Dart rail to my crashpad near Love. The other 10% I drove the 2 hours to TUL. That seemed harder, mostly because of the additional 2 - 3 hours I would give myself to get there.

When I was commuting to OAK however, I used TUL exclusively. Why? Because I was commuting HOME from OAK on FedEx. I’d take SW to the west coast (via PHX or LAS), but to maximize my time at home I would commute home overnight on FedEx (most of the time). TUL was my only option. It’s as good a commute as any.

Personally, when you account for the fact that you want to be at the airport an hour early to sign up for the jumpseat, plus travel time, plus TSA, plus giving yourself a flight or two, etc... I’d probably buy a used Prius and just drive it.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious how many guys commute on FedEx. Seems like a good "late flight but I got back home" option for commuting.

e6bpilot
04-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Curious how many guys commute on FedEx. Seems like a good "late flight but I got back home" option for commuting.



Check out their Jumpseat schedule on the FedEx Jumpseat finder. Unless you are in Oakland or maybe BWI ending a PM trip, it doesnít make much sense.
Most, if not all of the fedex flights go through Memphis. Same with UPS and SDF. To me, thatís a special kind of torture.
Every commuter will flow like water to the path of least resistance. Fortunately, Tulsa has a lot of fairly painless options. Any new hire in OAK is going to be one month at most and they should have a hard line.
Spring Break is over in OK and the loads are back to the normal ďpretty full but not crazyĒ standard that we generally see. Best of luck!

CA1900
04-02-2018, 12:37 PM
I commuted out of OAK for a while, doing PM trips, and considered FedEx. They had a nonstop to my home airport around 230am or so, but it always came down to getting over to the cargo side of things, or just hanging out for a couple more hours and taking our first flight out in the morning. That's what I ended up doing every time.

ZapBrannigan
04-02-2018, 01:24 PM
You guys donít know what youíre missing! FedEx is a Space positive listing! They save you a seat, give you a hot meal, and on the MD11, usually a bunk. The jumpseaters lounge in MEM isnít bad at all. They come and wake you up and collect you for leg 2. For me it was the difference between getting home in time to see the kiddo off to school, or getting home in time to see him come home from school.

Worth it every time to gain back that time at home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarrySeal
04-02-2018, 04:09 PM
You guys donít know what youíre missing! FedEx is a Space positive listing! They save you a seat, give you a hot meal, and on the MD11, usually a bunk. The jumpseaters lounge in MEM isnít bad at all. They come and wake you up and collect you for leg 2. For me it was the difference between getting home in time to see the kiddo off to school, or getting home in time to see him come home from school.

Worth it every time to gain back that time at home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually sounds kinda cool to experience.



Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1