Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : CRJ training timeline

TXMeat
04-03-2018, 07:19 PM
How long does it take to get to IOE if you start at Mesa with an ATP?

frankgh
04-03-2018, 09:27 PM
I started in Aug, finished IOE in Nov.

TXMeat
04-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Thank you!

navyellis
04-26-2018, 08:54 PM
stupid question I'm sure, but what is an IOE?

No Land 3
04-27-2018, 01:52 AM

Initial operating experience. Your first time outside the sim, flying the jet with passengers in the back. You fly with a check airman/instructor who is basically flying single pilot to get you used to the airplane and line flying. Itís the final step before you're officially a line qualified pilot for the airline.

calmwinds
04-27-2018, 02:33 AM
Initial operating experience. Your first time outside the sim, flying the jet with passengers in the back. You fly with a check airman/instructor who is basically flying single pilot to get you used to the airplane and line flying. Itís the final step before you're officially a line qualified pilot for the airline.

Yeah, the first time you land the airplane for real is with an airliner full of paying passengers.... let that sink in and then go take your family on vacation using a regional airline.

I only know of two times where there has been bent metal. Both times were IOE flights.

Navmode
04-27-2018, 03:52 AM
Yeah, the first time you land the airplane for real is with an airliner full of paying passengers.... let that sink in and then go take your family on vacation using a regional airline.

I only know of two times where there has been bent metal. Both times were IOE flights.

Literally every airline does it this way, not just regionals. There have been several bend-the-gear level hard landing incidents, and a wing strike that wasn’t with pilots on OE. Don’t spread bad info just to hear yourself talk.

calmwinds
04-27-2018, 03:58 AM
Literally every airline does it this way, not just regionals. There have been several bend-the-gear level hard landing incidents, and a wing strike that wasnít with pilots on OE. Donít spread bad info just to hear yourself talk.

I am just talking about the bent metal that I am personally aware of. Normally, if you are a major airline pilot, you have some serious experience. Regionals is where the 172 CFI gets his first jet experience. And, his first flight is with a jet full of passengers.

I have seen the pictures of the bent metal in HRL, but I am not personally aware of the circumstances. So, this is about my personal experience. You have a different set of experiences.

Or, does Delta hire 172 CFIís straight off the street?

JestersDead
04-27-2018, 05:08 AM
Does anyone have any info on or has been to a FAPA job fair? There is one coming up in May in D.C. Is it worth the time and money to go? Mesa and other airlines that I've narrowed down will be attending there.

calmwinds
04-27-2018, 05:18 AM
Does anyone have any info on or has been to a FAPA job fair? There is one coming up in May in D.C. Is it worth the time and money to go? Mesa and other airlines that I've narrowed down will be attending there.

Just donít give out your cell phone number or you will be hounded. The job fairs are a chance to ask questions and having all your perspective employers in one room has value. You might also run into a regional that wasnít on your radar.

I am not sure it is worth any outlay of $ís. You will get job offers once you are ready.

bnkangle
04-27-2018, 05:44 AM

No. Your time would be better spent trolling Kim Kardashian’s social media for 12 hours straight, seriously.

calmwinds
04-27-2018, 06:08 AM
No. Your time would be better spent trolling Kim Kardashianís social media for 12 hours straight, seriously.

Lol. I hadnít thought about it that way....

flyguy727
04-27-2018, 06:57 AM

There are no stupid questions.

JestersDead
04-27-2018, 07:30 AM
No. Your time would be better spent trolling Kim Kardashianís social media for 12 hours straight, seriously.

Yeah, kinda figured that.

terks43
04-28-2018, 07:06 AM
I am just talking about the bent metal that I am personally aware of. Normally, if you are a major airline pilot, you have some serious experience. Regionals is where the 172 CFI gets his first jet experience. And, his first flight is with a jet full of passengers.

I have seen the pictures of the bent metal in HRL, but I am not personally aware of the circumstances. So, this is about my personal experience. You have a different set of experiences.

Or, does Delta hire 172 CFIís straight off the street?

CFIís probably fly the jet better then you do.

calmwinds
04-28-2018, 07:59 AM
CFIís probably fly the jet better then you do.

I am sure some ex-CFIís do. It is called experience. And, I fly the jet better than others and worse than others. And, I learn from each pilot I fly with - sometimes, it is positive learning and sometimes, it is learning what not to do. During initial training, I am sure being a CFI helps in the SIM.

I have also had pilots in the cockpit tell me their first ďrealĒ approach was in a jet after they had spent all their time in an Arizona flight school in crystal clear skies. By the way, this is where United has their Academy.

I still think the best place for a CFI to gain his stripes is in a regional.

PhantomHawk
04-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Is Mesa your first airline, calmwinds?

calmwinds
04-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Is Mesa your first airline, calmwinds?

Mesa is my first airline. Is ExpressJet yours?

PhantomHawk
04-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Yes

calmwinds
04-28-2018, 09:15 AM
Yes

Have you gotten to upgrade there?

PhantomHawk
04-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Have you gotten to upgrade there?

Donít you remember me telling you? Iím brand new, and donít know anything about the industry. Thatís why I listen to your sage advice, and highly recommend everybody else do the same..........

Lord knows you like to give it out.

calmwinds
04-28-2018, 04:42 PM
Donít you remember me telling you? Iím brand new, and donít know anything about the industry. Thatís why I listen to your sage advice, and highly recommend everybody else do the same..........

Lol.... you sure like to follow the Mesa forum. I donít give sage advice on the Xjet forum. Of course, I will be at Southwest before you upgrade at Xjet.

CAsFiled
05-04-2018, 08:51 AM
What is the training footprint for the CRJ and are there any sim delays? Also, what is the likelihood of holding a CRJ line directly out of IOE?

flyguy727
05-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Mesa is my first airline. Is ExpressJet yours?

Mesa was, my first airline, coming off a 135 ops flying king airs. Heading to a cargo operations next month.

flyguy727
05-06-2018, 07:25 AM
What is the training footprint for the CRJ and are there any sim delays? Also, what is the likelihood of holding a CRJ line directly out of IOE?

From what I been hearing, it's about 4 months delay. 6 months for Easy jet. In DFW, pretty quickly.

flyguy727
05-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Lol.... you sure like to follow the Mesa forum. I donít give sage advice on the Xjet forum. Of course, I will be at Southwest before you upgrade at Xjet.

People place too much enfacies on upgrade. I only been with Mesa for 9 months and just got hired by a cargo operation. The PIC requirement us slowly going away. Many just want you to gave just 24 months of 121 flying if that's where you want to go.

flyguy727
05-06-2018, 07:33 AM

You can say what you want about express jet, but every one in the industry knows, they have the best training program around. I would stay there, don't get caught up in the PIC BS. Express is not going anywhere, they said the same about Mesa a few years back, and it's still here.

calmwinds
05-06-2018, 07:43 AM
You can say what you want about express jet, but every one in the industry knows, they have the best training program around. I would stay there, don't get caught up in the PIC BS. Express is not going anywhere, they said the same about Mesa a few years back, and it's still here.

Since you are now gone, good riddance.

As far as Xjet, they are losing 50 pilots per month. They are halting Delta Connection ops. They are planning to halt American Eagle ops next year. That doesnít sound like a regional in decline?

CAsFiled
05-06-2018, 07:47 AM
From what I been hearing, it's about 4 months delay. 6 months for Easy jet. In DFW, pretty quickly.

Is that 4 months from 1st class to line or from 1st class to IOE? Only looking at the CRJ (for now)

calmwinds
05-06-2018, 09:03 AM
Is that 4 months from 1st class to line or from 1st class to IOE? Only looking at the CRJ (for now)

4 months to IOE. February new hires should be making it to IOE on the CRJ about now.

Centurian
05-18-2018, 08:35 AM
How long is it from interview/job offer until training start? I currently have a non-flying job and looking at starting training in mid-January, just don't know when to send out an app.

bbymse
05-18-2018, 03:16 PM
probably within 2 weeks.

flyguy727
05-22-2018, 08:23 PM
How long is it from interview/job offer until training start? I currently have a non-flying job and looking at starting training in mid-January, just don't know when to send out an app.

That happens fast, but expect a delay in your training, last I heard CRJ 4 to 5 months to finish, ERJ 6 months or more.

Idontevenfly
05-23-2018, 08:41 AM
That happens fast, but expect a delay in your training, last I heard CRJ 4 to 5 months to finish, ERJ 6 months or more.

Some one was on observations on one of my flights yesterday and they were going into sims (crj) 7 weeks...

GearDwn
05-23-2018, 12:55 PM
This info is correct. The 3/30 CRJ new hires have Checkrides this weekend and off to IOE next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyguy727
05-24-2018, 07:08 AM
This info is correct. The 3/30 CRJ new hires have Checkrides this weekend and off to IOE next week.

Well, looks like things have improved. Wonder how many in their class?

mjpilot
05-24-2018, 04:38 PM
Some one was on observations on one of my flights yesterday and they were going into sims (crj) 7 weeks...

Had one today on observation flight on E-Jet, hired back in January. SIM checkride this week.

calmwinds
05-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Had one today on observation flight on E-Jet, hired back in January. SIM checkride this week.

Down from 6 months to 5 months. Yay!

mjpilot
05-24-2018, 05:07 PM
Down from 6 months to 5 months. Yay!

At least it's moving the right direction 😬

GearDwn
05-24-2018, 05:42 PM
Well, looks like things have improved. Wonder how many in their class?

9 on the CRJ side.

flyguy727
05-26-2018, 01:39 AM
9 on the CRJ side.

That makes it easier to catch up.

mjpilot
05-26-2018, 07:12 AM
9 on the CRJ side.

2 on their E-Jet class.

Rjros1988
06-11-2018, 04:18 AM
How long does it take to get to IOE if you start at Mesa with an ATP?
I was a 3/30 New Hire. Finished IOE yesterday. 75 day total with ATP ground school/SIMs. (CRJ)

calmwinds
06-11-2018, 04:25 AM
I was a 3/30 New Hire. Finished IOE yesterday. 75 day total with ATP ground school/SIMs. (CRJ)

And, that is the way it should be! Congrats. Wish the Ejet was on this timeline.

catmanhairy
06-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Does Mesa offer pilot referral bonus? I'm thinking of applying this week, who wants to share the bonus with me? I have some CRJ experience so I expect I will finish training.

mkpryor11
07-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Does Mesa offer pilot referral bonus? I'm thinking of applying this week, who wants to share the bonus with me? I have some CRJ experience so I expect I will finish training.

Iíll share it with you. PM me.

NovemberBravo
07-30-2018, 12:08 PM
I actually just had a FO tell me Mesa still owes him referral money anyone else have problems?

terks43
07-30-2018, 03:40 PM
I actually just had a FO tell me Mesa still owes him referral money anyone else have problems?

Nope, how long has he been on line, they give themselves 20 business days or something like that from the day you are released from IOE, so maybe heís really fresh. Mine came in a week or two, with the normal paycheck deposit.

NovemberBravo
07-30-2018, 04:08 PM
Nope, how long has he been on line, they give themselves 20 business days or something like that from the day you are released from IOE, so maybe heís really fresh. Mine came in a week or two, with the normal paycheck deposit.

Sounded it like it had been a while. He received some just not all. Maybe he just has to call some people.

terks43
07-31-2018, 06:20 AM
Sounded it like it had been a while. He received some just not all. Maybe he just has to call some people.

Is he expecting all 22K? Because thatís never happening, a good chunk of that is taken away by taxes. Maybe he just doesnít understand that.

squawk 762
08-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Our class started in May. Eleven of us on the CRJ. Six made it through to IOE. The last of us should be finished with IOE next week. Right at 90 days.

Violated
08-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Our class started in May. Eleven of us on the CRJ. Six made it through to IOE. The last of us should be finished with IOE next week. Right at 90 days.

Could you shed some light on the high washout rate? Did they leave for other opportunities or were they dismissed from the program?

squawk 762
08-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Could you shed some light on the high washout rate? Did they leave for other opportunities or were they dismissed from the program?

2 were re-treads that weíre released from previous regionals. They never made it to the checkride, but unsated at least 2 sims, and at least one sim twice. They had the review board and were sent home.

1 had some family problems and left around sim 6.

1 was a contract sim instructor that didnít work out for some reason.

1 guy was sent home before systems because he said something inappropriate to the wrong person while drinking in the hotel pool the night before indoc started.

NovemberBravo
08-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Lol pilots love getting in trouble at the hotel pool.

pangolin
08-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Is he expecting all 22K? Because thatís never happening, a good chunk of that is taken away by taxes. Maybe he just doesnít understand that.

25 percent withheld for taxes.

bnkangle
08-14-2018, 10:15 AM
1 guy was sent home before systems because he said something inappropriate to the wrong person while drinking in the hotel pool the night before indoc started.

Please elaborate. Donít leave us hanging next time.

squawk 762
08-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Please elaborate. Donít leave us hanging next time.

Well, the story that went around was that he saw two guys sitting in the hot tub rather close, and made a locker-room type comment, joking about their sexual orientation. Unfortunately for him, it turned out that they actually were gay. One of them in particular, a very flamboyant and outspoken individual, took great offense. He approached HR with accusations of racism, sexism, an homophobia. The accused new-hire had a series of meetings with the head of HR and director of training. Then, on the second day of systems he brought all of his stuff to class, awaiting word on a decision. Last I saw of him he was getting into a beat-up 1980s Days Inn van at lunch.