Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : International and Hawaii flying

Lugar
04-04-2018, 09:00 PM
As a new hire, is it possible to do mostly intíl or/and Hawaii flying? I assume that Iíd have to get on the A320 to stand a chance. And even with that, is it possible to build a line with mostly Hawaiian and intíl flying? Or am I years away from being able to do that?

Iím debating whether I want to head to AA, but I really donít enjoy domestic flying, and much prefer intíl and overwater.

If this isnít attainable at American within a year or two, Iím likely to either accept my CJO at Emirates, or take up an opportunity to interview at Kalitta. I just donít want to be the guy that joins AA and wishes he was elsewhere. Iíd rather save the spot for someone who is doing what they want to do.

Cheddar
04-05-2018, 12:31 AM
Seriously...

I have no words. I thought I did, but then I erased them because I seriously have no words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPTme
04-05-2018, 12:57 AM
Second troll thread. Enjoy Emirates.

Name User
04-05-2018, 01:39 AM
No not possible. Go somewhere else where you'll be happy.

sumwherelse
04-05-2018, 05:22 AM
Is this dude serious??? Seriously? Is he seriously serious??

Lugar
04-05-2018, 06:22 AM
No not possible. Go somewhere else where you'll be happy.

Thank you for your honesty and candor.

Lugar
04-05-2018, 06:26 AM
Is this dude serious??? Seriously? Is he seriously serious??

With so many daily departures from the mainland to Hawaii, why wouldnít this be a valid question?

I bought a pair of DC One X Proís and love turning on the Bluetooth music from my phone and relaxing. Canít do that with domestic flying as thereís too much ATC chatter.

I live a pretty stressful life and listening to music as I fly is calming. What else can I say?

Lugar
04-05-2018, 06:27 AM
Second troll thread. Enjoy Emirates.

Nothing trolling about asking whether I can bid to fly mostly Hawaii on the A320. If thatís a stupid question, just tell me why! Help me, or stop talking please.

Boogerface
04-05-2018, 06:34 AM
With so many daily departures from the mainland to Hawaii, why wouldnít this be a valid question?

I bought a pair of DC One X Proís and love turning on the Bluetooth music from my phone and relaxing. Canít do that with domestic flying as thereís too much ATC chatter.

I live a pretty stressful life and listening to music as I fly is calming. What else can I say?

Trollllllolololololololllllllllllllll

TheRaven
04-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Nothing trolling about asking whether I can bid to fly mostly Hawaii on the A320. If thatís a stupid question, just tell me why! Help me, or stop talking please.

You can bid to fly Lunar round trips, but you wonít get those either. Do you feel you have earned the right to fly Hawaii round trips? You havenít even earned the right to 2 leg red eyes to Kansas City. Go to Emirates troll.

Laker24
04-05-2018, 06:44 AM
If international flying is your thing donít go to AA. Unless you want to live in Miami and go south. AA is a massive domestic airline with limited international. Look up international ASMs by region and as a percentage of total ASMs. UAL and DAL operate a higher percentage of international ASMs. Junior 787/777 CA is around 2000 out of 15,000 or top 13% of seniority list. Maybe 25 years? At Emirates it takes about 5 years.

Hawaii 3 day slash trips (12 hour credit) go junior but by next winter they will pay 15:45 and will likely be senior trips. 777/787 flying is senior. AAL has about 140 widebody aircraft out of nearly 1,000 planes. You can easily do the math and see what it takes to hold the bigger aircraft. After a few years you might be able to hold bottom reserve on one of those planes. The bases donít offer much variety.

If you just want to see the world go to Ek, make some tax free money, and once youíve had more than your fill come back to United/DALwhere you have a better variety of intl ops. Emirates is extremely standardized and the training is challenging.

AA is a great job but it has a relatively small international network and mgt has repeatedly stated they are not going to significantly grow the airline. Intl growth will probably be farmed out to JV Airlines. My $.02

Frip
04-05-2018, 06:52 AM
You want help?

Sure...

I looked

The junior group of LAX 320 FO's with a mostly Hawaii schedule are 1999/2000 hires with a seniority range of 10,000 to 10,100.

The other international 320 flying is mostly BJX, CUN, MEX and the like.

Enjoy Emirates... I'm sure that they and their Captains will be fine with you spending your time on duty on the flight deck immersed in your music, while they fly solo.

Laker24
04-05-2018, 06:55 AM
You can bid to fly Lunar round trips, but you wonít get those either. Do you feel you have earned the right to fly Hawaii round trips? You havenít even earned the right to 2 leg red eyes to Kansas City. Go to Emirates troll.

I donít see whatís wrong with the question. The info is out there if he digs it up. But itís legit to ask what you can and cannot hold as a junior pilot on an AA message board. Some people choose a flying career to see the world. Others choose it to have a stable job that pays the bills. AA excels in one area and lags in the other.

QuagmireGiggity
04-05-2018, 07:38 AM
Nothing wrong with this question. A few years ago new hires were getting 767 right out of training. That stopped because the fleet is shrinking. 75 & 76 are same bid status and pay less. So since the 78 will likely replace 76 it may become more and more junior. Also saying there are 140 out of 1000 airplanes.. do the math is not helpful and how does a person who doesn't know about these things do that math? There are a lot more Group IV FOs than Captains. PHL(A330)Miami and NY(777) are most junior at around 11700 of 15,000 ish pilot. It seems to get more and more junior so hard to tell where it will be in 5 years. Especially if they end up getting more 787s.Lowest 767 about 14300 which will get you some Europe out of NY.
It's a lot harder to predict these things at a big multi fleet airline. Sometimes there's no/little movement on some fleets for long periods then a big surge forward.

sumwherelse
04-05-2018, 07:53 AM
Thatís fine but the notion that this guy wants to make a career decision based on if he can listen to his music uninterrupted by ATC is comical.

Lugar
04-05-2018, 08:04 AM
Thank you for this information. Iíll be passing on AA, as their goals and my goals arenít aligned. I really appreciate the information.

As far as making a career decision based on my ability to listen to music without ATC interruptions, you have it all wrong.

GHOST
04-05-2018, 08:24 AM
As a new hire, is it possible to do mostly intíl or/and Hawaii flying? I assume that Iíd have to get on the A320 to stand a chance. And even with that, is it possible to build a line with mostly Hawaiian and intíl flying? Or am I years away from being able to do that?

Iím debating whether I want to head to AA, but I really donít enjoy domestic flying, and much prefer intíl and overwater.

If this isnít attainable at American within a year or two, Iím likely to either accept my CJO at Emirates, or take up an opportunity to interview at Kalitta. I just donít want to be the guy that joins AA and wishes he was elsewhere. Iíd rather save the spot for someone who is doing what they want to do.

Assuming weíre not being trolled, maybe this will help. I have 7 friends currently at Emirates anxiously waiting for an opportunity to leave Emirates for AAL, DAL, and UAL. I have NEVER heard anyone at AAL say they intend to leave their job for Emirates. If youíre seriously considering Kalitta over any of the network carriers, I would question your decision making process.

sumwherelse
04-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Thank you for this information. Iíll be passing on AA, as their goals and my goals arenít aligned. I really appreciate the information.

As far as making a career decision based on my ability to listen to music without ATC interruptions, you have it all wrong.

I guess we here at American are unworthy. Enjoy the desert my friend.

TexBubba
04-05-2018, 08:36 AM
I have a buddy a Kalitta, I questioned his sanity but he truly loves it. He is qualified for all the legacies, but hasnít got an interview yet, now he says heís staying. He likes commuting from Seattle, loves the international flying, set itís pretty laid-back and fairly quick upgrade to the whale, enjoys two weeks off consecutively and no oassengers to deal with. While I agree itís definitely not on par with the big three itís still is a pretty decent place way better than anything in the Middle East. New contract, selected ALPA, leaving Teamsters. There is something for everyone thatís for sure. Iíd see if youíre interested in Kalitta make sure you visit forum for them and try to jumpseat on them to get some real inside information. Cheers.

Lugar
04-05-2018, 08:37 AM
I guess we here at American are unworthy. Enjoy the desert my friend.

It isnít a matter of being unworthy. Itís just the flying that AA does isnít aligned with the flying I want to do. Rather than ***** and moan about the job not being what I want it to be, Iím choosing to not pursue the airline. And you talk like thatís a bad thing...?

Laker24
04-05-2018, 09:10 AM
Assuming weíre not being trolled, maybe this will help. I have 7 friends currently at Emirates anxiously waiting for an opportunity to leave Emirates for AAL, DAL, and UAL. I have NEVER heard anyone at AAL say they intend to leave their job for Emirates. If youíre seriously considering Kalitta over any of the network carriers, I would question your decision making process.

On the flip side I know of at least one AA pilot at Emirates who turned down the recall and chose to stay in the Middle East. $220k after tax, worldwide route network, nice hotels, quick upgrade to Group IV CA, first class travel, and living the expat life appeals to some people. Not everyone but some. AAL is a better job. Emirates might be a better experience for some. Itís more money in your pocket for the first 10 years but probably less money over the long term.

Funny how on this message board everyone gets so defensive and aggressive about who is the best airline, etc. Who cares? Figure out your goals in life and go to the airline that aligns with your goals.

Cheddar
04-05-2018, 10:44 AM
It isnít a matter of being unworthy. Itís just the flying that AA does isnít aligned with the flying I want to do. Rather than ***** and moan about the job not being what I want it to be, Iím choosing to not pursue the airline. And you talk like thatís a bad thing...?

Assuming youíre not some 30 year old eating Doritos in his momís basement all day letting the Xbox take a break - All three jobs are totally different - and one may appeal to you more than another. I have done military, 5 minutes at a regional, heavy jet VIP international charter, DoD contracts, and AA. All were different, all had/have ups or downs. AA is by far the easiest job I have ever had in my entire life, and at this point in life, thatís just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolphinflyer
04-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Call Emirates.
Ask them their music listening policy for the cockpit via Bluetooth.

If they don't permit it, ask them for a Conditional Waiver of Policy letter to be added to your job offer so it can be aligned with your needs.

After that, you're good to go!

Lugar
04-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Call Emirates.
Ask them their music listening policy for the cockpit via Bluetooth.

If they don't permit it, ask them for a Conditional Waiver of Policy letter to be added to your job offer so it can be aligned with your needs.

After that, you're good to go!

Emirates allows it, but only during cruise.

Does American ban using a headset to listen to music over Bluetooth while in cruise?

Dolphinflyer
04-05-2018, 02:16 PM
No the FAA does.

Sounds like Kalitta is out too.

Enjoy the sandbox.

Lugar
04-05-2018, 02:25 PM
No the FAA does.

Sounds like Kalitta is out too.

Enjoy the sandbox.

Regulation number please?

Frip
04-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Does American ban using a headset to listen to music over Bluetooth while in cruise

Explicitly, clearly, unquestinably, yes...

I find it nearly unbelievable that you would ask... I love listening to music, have a music room at home, and always something new to listen to on a deadhead.

In flight, while in the cockpit, on duty?

Because you lead a stressful lifestyle?

Seriously?

They call it "work" and "duty" for a reason.

Dolphinflyer
04-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Regulation number please?

Not sure which paragraph

Frip
04-05-2018, 02:50 PM
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2014/02/12/2014-02991/prohibition-on-personal-use-of-electronic-devices-on-the-flight-deck

Laker24
04-05-2018, 02:55 PM

Does American ban using a headset to listen to music over Bluetooth while in cruise?

Emirates does not allow listening to music while on duty. Unless you are taking controlled rest or in the bunk.

sumwherelse
04-05-2018, 03:00 PM

You canít be for real.

Lugar
04-05-2018, 03:05 PM
You canít be for real.

Iím for real. And you fools think I mean while Iím flying? Of course I donít. Iím talking about when in rest or otherwise not the active pilot (ie: deadheading)

Dolphinflyer
04-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Iím for real. And you fools think I mean while Iím flying? Of course I donít. Iím talking about when in rest or otherwise not the active pilot (ie: deadheading)

BS dude. Read your earlier post,

So where is the ATC chatter when you're deadheading or on rest?

Lugar
04-05-2018, 03:10 PM
BS dude. Read your earlier post,

So where is the ATC chatter when you're deadheading?

Typically Channel 9 on United. Or in the jumpseat if dhíing in the cockpit.

BluePAX
04-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Typically Channel 9 on United. Or in the jumpseat if dhíing in the cockpit.

Haha man you're hilarious. I'm finally learning to take everything you say as one big joke, it's deadpanned superbly well.

Mind sharing your info so we can all get you hired on at NASA faster?

Dolphinflyer
04-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Typically Channel 9 on United. Or in the jumpseat if dh’ing in the cockpit.

Not what you stated. Try again.

Going to report you to the Troll Guild for failure to execute.

Frip
04-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Enjoy Emirates, please...

TheRaven
04-05-2018, 05:13 PM
At 12:52 today Lugar posted this on a thread dealing with boredom in cruise.....no mention of on deadheads.....it referenced domestic flights so no rest breaks.....

ďI wonít do anything that keeps my head down (so, no studying, napping, reading, iPad, etc). I have a Bluetooth capable aviation headset (DC Pro X), and will turn on some playlists from my phone. Makes the time fly by, and the music mutes when ATC or the intercom is in use. Personally I find female country singers to make the time go the quickest (Kacey Musgraves, Miranda Lambert, Lady Antebellum) with a mix of male country singers (George Strait, Tim McGraw, Eric Church), and a little mix of everything else.Ē

Boogerface
04-05-2018, 05:55 PM
I'll say it again:

Trollllllolololololololllllllllllllll

Don't feed him, folks. He's playing you like a fiddle.

sumwherelse
04-05-2018, 06:05 PM
I'll say it again:

Don't feed him, folks. He's playing you like a fiddle.

Channel 9 on United. Holy time machine Batman!!!

450knotOffice
04-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Actually, at roughly 12,500 I can and DO hold as much Hawaii as I want. Theyíre the slash trips, for sure, but I get them every month. I usually move stuff around to get a mix of JFK or MIA and HAWAII trips.

You want help?

Sure...

I looked

The junior group of LAX 320 FO's with a mostly Hawaii schedule are 1999/2000 hires with a seniority range of 10,000 to 10,100.

The other international 320 flying is mostly BJX, CUN, MEX and the like.

Enjoy Emirates... I'm sure that they and their Captains will be fine with you spending your time on duty on the flight deck immersed in your music, while they fly solo.

Lugar
04-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Actually, at roughly 12,500 I can and DO hold as much Hawaii as I want. Theyíre the slash trips, for sure, but I get them every month. I usually move stuff around to get a mix of JFK or MIA and HAWAII trips.

Whatís a slash trip?

450knotOffice
04-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Whatís a slash trip?

Itís a two day trip that takes you into a third day.

Example: 16:00 departure to the islands on Monday. Layover for 24-25 hours, leave at 22:00-2300 on Tuesday night, arriving at 06:00 on Wednesday morning.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1