Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Company Vibe

SoFloFlyer
04-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could give me some insight to the company culture, pilot group, contract (start of negotiations and when does the contract end), QOL, what bases run junior, do you like the company and would you recommend it to a new hire, future if the company, basically everything and anything.

I live in South Florida so regardless of which regional I choose, Iíll have to commute for a bit.

blindfayth
04-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Dead forum.

brokepilot2
04-15-2018, 08:49 PM
Itís a dead forum because TSA is a dying regional. Everyone who could answer OPís questions is too busy filling out applications trying to get out of the dumpster fire.

SoFloFlyer
04-15-2018, 10:21 PM
This was extremely disappointing

brokepilot2
04-16-2018, 05:07 AM

Welcome to the regional industry...

brokepilot2
04-16-2018, 05:16 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could give me some insight to the company culture, pilot group, contract (start of negotiations and when does the contract end), QOL, what bases run junior, do you like the company and would you recommend it to a new hire, future if the company, basically everything and anything.

I live in South Florida so regardless of which regional I choose, Iíll have to commute for a bit.

The pilot group is great, only a select few who arenít. Contract negotiations are underway but the company is already dragging their feet. QOL is nonexistent due to how short staffed we are. You will be used and abused as an FO here. Junior assignments, extensions, and reroutes are the norm. The IAD/DCA co-domicile is the junior base, expect to be based there for quite a while. Would I recommend the company to a potential new-hire? Absolutely not.

If you live in south Florida I would recommend going somewhere with a MIA base. Hope thatís more helpful.

Rmk1991
04-16-2018, 09:52 AM
The pilot group is great, only a select few who arenít. Contract negotiations are underway but the company is already dragging their feet. QOL is nonexistent due to how short staffed we are. You will be used and abused as an FO here. Junior assignments, extensions, and reroutes are the norm. The IAD/DCA co-domicile is the junior base, expect to be based there for quite a while. Would I recommend the company to a potential new-hire? Absolutely not.

If you live in south Florida I would recommend going somewhere with a MIA base. Hope thatís more helpful.

You wont be in IAD/DCA for a really long time. After around 6 months people are getting out to the base they want excluding RDU. It's a stagnant base.

CCpounder
04-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Go somewhere else

brokepilot2
04-16-2018, 10:18 AM
You wont be in IAD/DCA for a really long time. After around 6 months people are getting out to the base they want excluding RDU. It's a stagnant base.

Most junior FO in DEN is a 07/05/17 DOH. Stop lying to new hires.

SoFloFlyer
04-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Thatís a bit better lol Iím all seriousness, thanks for the info. Probably gonna scratch TSA off my list

Big Windy
04-17-2018, 10:03 AM
It is a little disconcerting that this forum gets so little interaction. Don't know what to make of that. Either the pilots are all too busy or they are content that they don't bother to come here and *****, or like the previous poster said, they are all trying to find another regional!

minimwage4
04-17-2018, 01:02 PM

The company vibe is very good. Company really cares about you and you're totally not just a number to make a schedule legal. The planes are in tip top shape. Schedules are really good. People you fly with rarely talk about their current applications with other airlines, that's how I know it's a good place. You generally feel like you're making a difference and there's lots of incentives to help the company out. In short come on over you'll be glad you did.

CptnSnoopDizzle
04-17-2018, 05:20 PM
The company vibe is very good. Company really cares about you and you're totally not just a number to make a schedule legal. The planes are in tip top shape. Schedules are really good. People you fly with rarely talk about their current applications with other airlines, that's how I know it's a good place. You generally feel like you're making a difference and there's lots of incentives to help the company out. In short come on over you'll be glad you did.

Now thatís funny right there..!

brokepilot2
04-17-2018, 10:03 PM
It is a little disconcerting that this forum gets so little interaction. Don't know what to make of that. Either the pilots are all too busy or they are content that they don't bother to come here and *****, or like the previous poster said, they are all trying to find another regional!

Most of our *****ing gets done on our Facebook page. Most seem to be trying to get to an LCC or ACMI instead of another regional. I know Iíd rather sit at somewhere like Spirit waiting for the call from mainline than at TSA.

brokepilot2
04-17-2018, 10:10 PM

Please call scheduling upon arrival to arrange your 2-hour extension

Riverside
04-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Most of our *****ing gets done on our Facebook page. Most seem to be trying to get to an LCC or ACMI instead of another regional. I know Iíd rather sit at somewhere like Spirit waiting for the call from mainline than at TSA.

My greatest memory from TSA was submitting my 2 week notice. That and the fact they couldn't do anything to my schedule on the last day.

FlyingKat
04-19-2018, 08:13 AM
But hey....we got a flow to Frontier :D

brokepilot2
04-19-2018, 02:28 PM
But hey....we got a flow to Frontier :D

You can flow straight to the picket line and take a huge pay cut to go along with it!

minimwage4
04-19-2018, 06:47 PM
You can flow straight to the picket line and take a huge pay cut to go along with it!

Thereís no way theyíll strike. We all know spirit does just fine and they pay way more than Frontier does. I think theyíll get plenty of takers. Better to wait at Frontier than a sinking ship, dumpster fire, etc etc..

FlyingKat
04-20-2018, 12:12 AM

You obviously missed the sarcasm....but I bet they get their paychecks right LOL...this place is a raging dumpster fire since KS left, and I bet you are going to see guys punching out left and right for this if they can't get anything else.

brokepilot2
04-20-2018, 10:44 AM
You obviously missed the sarcasm....but I bet they get their paychecks right LOL...this place is a raging dumpster fire since KS left, and I bet you are going to see guys punching out left and right for this if they can't get anything else.

I got the sarcasm. I was just pointing out how worthless the flow is until F9 gets an industry standard contract. And agreed on the KS statement, it seems he was the glue holding this whole operation together.

FlyingKat
04-20-2018, 12:56 PM
I got the sarcasm. I was just pointing out how worthless the flow is until F9 gets an industry standard contract. And agreed on the KS statement, it seems he was the glue holding this whole operation together.

Agreed. I appreciate the efforts LS put into this, and I'm glad we are getting this opportunity, but this in no way is going to compare to what is being offered at the AA carriers, unfortunately. And until they give a financial incentive to keep Junior Captains and FOs here, more and more are going to jump on the payrates, bonus, and flows at other carriers.

Nh114
04-21-2018, 05:16 AM
Any word at TransStates about your Fleet Plan? On American side?

flysooner9
04-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Any word at TransStates about your Fleet Plan? On American side?

Losing planes to Piedmont.

Nh114
04-21-2018, 04:50 PM
Losing planes to Piedmont.

Just a few, right?

Theaveragejoker
04-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Just a few, right?

None of the United ones.

brokepilot2
04-21-2018, 08:50 PM
Just a few, right?

Probably all of them at some point or another

Knobcrk1
04-22-2018, 06:58 AM
Just a few, right?

I heard the aa contract was for 5 years. I believe we started flying them in 2014/15. American can pull those planes at any time.

Pilottim79
04-25-2018, 07:59 AM
I heard the aa contract was for 5 years. I believe we started flying them in 2014/15. American can pull those planes at any time.

Come on man. American can't pull them at any time. That isn't how contracts work. That is how any of this works.

chrisreedrules
04-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Come on man. American can't pull them at any time. That isn't how contracts work. That is how any of this works.

Plan as I heard it is a ďslow transferĒ of 145s from TSA to PDT.

flysooner9
04-26-2018, 01:56 AM
With PDT opening a CLT base I think they could easIly cover all the current TSA routes between the PHL and CLT bases. American has all ready said theyíre willing to give PDT more then 53 planes if they are able to staff them.

Knobcrk1
04-26-2018, 09:20 AM

The AA Connection planes Tsa had back in the day were taken away almost overnight and sent back to Eagle. I wouldn't get too comfortable on the current American Eagle planes.

flysooner9
04-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Piedmont has all ready gotten a few TSA planes. Donít know what would keep them from getting more.

FlyingKat
04-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Piedmont has all ready gotten a few TSA planes. Donít know what would keep them from getting more.

Staffing.....

flysooner9
04-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Staffing.....

Classes are full and the training bottle neck will soon be fixed

m20cmark21
04-26-2018, 08:09 PM
The AA Connection planes Tsa had back in the day were taken away almost overnight and sent back to Eagle. I wouldn't get too comfortable on the current American Eagle planes.

This is true. My opinion is that it was always the plan to "slow trickle" the planes back once PDT could staff them. I'm sure it was part of the original understanding. It was never in the cards to operate them forever. The money was just too good for us NOT to do the AA flying. The AA flying wasn't even on the radar back in early 2015 when we were focused on doubling down on UA flying and "doubling our size" with that flying alone... didn't really work out that way.

According to a recent company call-in about our new Frontier Flow Agreement this actually helps TSA's profits because we can operate flights using the airplanes we own rather than keeping them parked over at the hangar in STL.

CCpounder
04-27-2018, 07:48 PM
Oh I canít wait to fly more of the wonderful HK planes that have been sitting around for years.

brokepilot2
04-27-2018, 08:27 PM
Oh I canít wait to fly more of the wonderful HK planes that have been sitting around for years.

Iím wondering how long it will take to get those planes back up and flying. Theyíve been robbing parts off of them for a while now

havick206
04-30-2018, 05:21 AM
Classes are full and the training bottle neck will soon be fixed

You work for the PDT training department?

Knobcrk1
04-30-2018, 05:55 AM

Lol I donít know if youíve take a stroll by the hangar lately but those planes literally look like theyíre rusted over.

CCpounder
04-30-2018, 06:15 AM
Lol I donít know if youíve take a stroll by the hangar lately but those planes literally look like theyíre rusted over.

Yeah I know, I was being sarcastic lol

brokepilot2
04-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Anyone know how attrition numbers were in April? Was it another mass exodus like March?

flysooner9
04-30-2018, 09:24 AM
You work for the PDT training department?

Two more simulators coming online by the end of May. Will help to eliminate the back log.

havick206
05-01-2018, 02:47 AM
Two more simulators coming online by the end of May. Will help to eliminate the back log.

Theyíve been saying the exact same thing the last 18 months every other month.

Knobcrk1
05-01-2018, 07:39 AM
Anyone know how attrition numbers were in April? Was it another mass exodus like March?

As long as it’s not more than 10 a month it should be ok to at least keep current levels.. they seem to do about 5 per class every two weeks. Also there’s a lot of helicopter guys who are here but not really here because they’re flying at home trying to get their required fixed wing hours. Pretty much all the new hires are helicopter hires, although it’s disconcerting that they would have literally nobody show up if it wasn’t for the helicopter program.

brokepilot2
05-01-2018, 08:19 AM
As long as itís not more than 10 a month it should be ok to at least keep current levels.. they seem to do about 5 per class every two weeks. Also thereís a lot of helicopter guys who are here but not really here because theyíre flying at home trying to get their required fixed wing hours. Pretty much all the new hires are helicopter hires, although itís disconcerting that they would have literally nobody show up if it wasnít for the helicopter program.

Half of the helo guys arenít making it through. And from what Iíve heard about the ones who do make it through, you better be on your A-game the whole 4 days.

I know we lost 20+ pilots in March. I would really like to know if that continued into April. If attrition keeps being higher than the number recruiting can get in the door, this place is screwed.

aTl2017
05-01-2018, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=brokepilot2;2583890]Half of the helo guys arenít making it through. And from what Iíve heard about the ones who do make it through, you better be on your A-game the whole 4 days.

Hey care to explain? I am thinking of making the transition myself and thats the first I've heard anything specifically negative about the Helo guys going through the programs. I can imagine some reasonable justifications to your statement, but maybe some elaboration... Have some friends that are already in the mix and they have seemed all positive by and large.

Pilottim79
05-01-2018, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=brokepilot2;2583890]Half of the helo guys arenít making it through. And from what Iíve heard about the ones who do make it through, you better be on your A-game the whole 4 days.

Hey care to explain? I am thinking of making the transition myself and thats the first I've heard anything specifically negative about the Helo guys going through the programs. I can imagine some reasonable justifications to your statement, but maybe some elaboration... Have some friends that are already in the mix and they have seemed all positive by and large.

I don't know what he is specifically getting at, but the helo guys, from my understanding, struggle because of lack of airplane experience. I mean they come in with, what? 200 hrs in an airplane and straight to an advanced jet. They need to study harder and put more time in outside of the classroom to succeed. I think that has proven to be fact just due to the washout rate. Nothing against those guys. They are probably all very smart and capable guys, they are just starting from a little bit of a hole.

brokepilot2
05-01-2018, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=aTl2017;2584051]

I don't know what he is specifically getting at, but the helo guys, from my understanding, struggle because of lack of airplane experience. I mean they come in with, what? 200 hrs in an airplane and straight to an advanced jet. They need to study harder and put more time in outside of the classroom to succeed. I think that has proven to be fact just due to the washout rate. Nothing against those guys. They are probably all very smart and capable guys, they are just starting from a little bit of a hole.

This is what I was getting at. They really struggle to keep up with the airplane. Even if they are successful making it through training it takes them a few hundred hours to finally get up to speed in the jet. It comes from lack of experience in a fixed wing. I'm sure every one of those guys can fly the **** out of a helicopter, but its a big transition to fixed wing. It's definitely nothing against the guys coming over, but they should understand that being successful here will be an uphill battle.

aTl2017
05-01-2018, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=aTl2017;2584051]

Understood, and I would have to say that was my thought process as well. I have hesitations about the way the training is being done prior to company training by and large. Again, totally legal, and for some can work out just fine. Its the most cost effective way.

I'm thinking about approaching it slightly differently. I have a large school near the house, one that already offers "airline track" type training and has agreements with several regionals. They would prefer if I do an RTP, to cut out the hour building component, and be a CFI with them until the 5-6 month "deadline." CFI's fly easily 80-100/mo there. I thought this may be a little better use of the program and may even come out of the program slightly more prepared to move forward. I've held a helicopter CFI certificate for 4 years now and while its certainly not my first or second choice to go back to that, I enjoyed it while I was doing it. As best one can. Just my 2 cents.

aTl2017
05-01-2018, 01:08 PM
Thanks Brokepilot2... I can't argue with that assessment. I have been thinking many of the same things. Honestly, its the same when I used to see FixedWing guys come get the helicopter add ons as a CFI. You knew they had an uphill battle and you also knew from seeing there airmanship skills that they could fly an airplane as well as anyone.

brokepilot2
05-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Thanks Brokepilot2... I can't argue with that assessment. I have been thinking many of the same things. Honestly, its the same when I used to see FixedWing guys come get the helicopter add ons as a CFI. You knew they had an uphill battle and you also knew from seeing there airmanship skills that they could fly an airplane as well as anyone.

I certainly wasn't taking a shot at helo guys. Sorry if it came off that way initially. It can definitely be done, it just takes a lot of work. It doesn't help the way they're doing the actual transition course.

aTl2017
05-01-2018, 01:21 PM
I certainly wasn't taking a shot at helo guys. Sorry if it came off that way initially. It can definitely be done, it just takes a lot of work. It doesn't help the way they're doing the actual transition course.

Nah I didn't take it like that. No worries. I have actually been searching for a comment with some candor about how it was progressing with all the guys making through the transitions. I was interested in the comment purely to make sure there wasn't some over arching reason people were washing out of training, or not doing stellar on the line. We (company I work for, large 135) have lost 19 guys since January. Its going to get worse. Even with everything you here about the regionals on APC, its still an extremely viable option for us. Long term option, but like you said, uphill for a little while.

Knobcrk1
05-02-2018, 06:39 AM
This frontier deal might hurt the company because apparently theyíre losing a bunch of instructors to it. Also surprisingly many of the senior guys who are lifers have signed up apparently.

CptnSnoopDizzle
05-02-2018, 08:50 AM
This frontier deal might hurt the company because apparently theyíre losing a bunch of instructors to it. Also surprisingly many of the senior guys who are lifers have signed up apparently.

I honestly donít know why anyone would stay. Not just TSA, any regional. I enjoyed my time here but QOL, pay etc is so much better once you move on from the regional world.

filejw
05-02-2018, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=aTl2017;2584051]

Sounds like the airlines training department is the weak link here .The military transitions guys to fix wing from rotary all the time with little issues.

aTl2017
05-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Yeah from what I have heard, the time you put in directly correlates to success rate. Like anything in life. Sounds like if you show up, go through the motions and head back to the hotel early... your odds go off the cliff. Show up early, study as a group, go through flows and systems with the others in the class, and end up back at the room at some point, well you get the point. They are really straight forward about that as well in the recruitment/interview process as well. I'm sure that translates directly into the cockpit flying the line.

Taco280AI
05-03-2018, 07:05 AM
[QUOTE=aTl2017;2584051]

Us rotor pilots are required to have 250PIC fixed wing to start. And all the military rotor pilots have experience with turbine engines, 100% is turbine actually, and max gross weights of 22,000 pounds in the case of the Blackhawk and 50,000 for the Chinook.

So despite our low FW time we do have a lot of experience.

If these military screened, selected, trained, and experienced pilots aren't making it through, maybe there's something wrong with the training program.

Or is the CFI who has 1500 hours in a 172 that much better? Never done that, so really dont know.

I do know we don't fly IFR nearly enough so that is a weak area. And complex SIDs are new, all I had done prior is "fly runway heading to ◊◊◊ feet, expect radar vectors"

I do know my issue isn't with academics, put in the time and study, you'll be fine. It's procedures that they don't spend enough time teaching.

knobcrk
05-03-2018, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=Pilottim79;2584110]

Us rotor pilots are required to have 250PIC fixed wing to start. And all the military rotor pilots have experience with turbine engines, 100% is turbine actually, and max gross weights of 22,000 pounds in the case of the Blackhawk and 50,000 for the Chinook.

If these military screened, selected, trained, and experienced pilots aren't making it through, maybe there's something wrong with the training program.

Or is the CFI who has 1500 hours in a 172 that much better? Never done that, so really dont know.

I do know we don't fly IFR nearly enough so that is a weak area. And complex SIDs are new, all I had done prior is "fly runway heading to ◊◊◊ feet, expect radar vectors"

I do know my issue isn't with academics, put in the time and study, you'll be fine. It's procedures that they don't spend enough time teaching.

With all due respect, itís not the training program. If anything they are too thorough compared to other places. Also you have experience but in something completely different than airline flying as well as fixed wing flying. 250 hours is not enough time to be good enough to be proficient, itís just good enough to attempt training. Also you mentioned that IFR is a weak point, well thatís all youíll be doing in training. They canít teach you that stuff, thatís what flight school is for.

Knobcrk1
05-03-2018, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=Pilottim79;2584110]

With all due respect, your list just shows most likely why helo guys might have a problem in training.

C37AFE
05-03-2018, 12:47 PM
I think helo guys in general have trouble with staying ahead of the plane and the instrument work. Things just happen faster. I noticed same problems in the Air Force when we'd get a C-130 guy and put them in a jet. I suggest the helo guys fly lots of instrument time while they are building the hours.

"Just my 2 cents, cause that's more than the penny for your thoughts"

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1