Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Hiring Pool

CL19
04-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Interviewed a while back. Found out recently that I have been placed in a hiring pool. Couldn't get any information on how long they think I'll have to wait for a class date.

Anyone know how backed up things are? 3 months? 4?

Should I wait to sign the CJO until I receive a class date?

How backed up are things? Is it worth considering elsewhere?

flysooner9
04-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Donít really think it matters if you sign the CJO or not. Your not an employee till the first day of class.

bigtime209
04-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Interviewed a while back. Found out recently that I have been placed in a hiring pool. Couldn't get any information on how long they think I'll have to wait for a class date.

Anyone know how backed up things are? 3 months? 4?

Should I wait to sign the CJO until I receive a class date?

How backed up are things? Is it worth considering elsewhere?

Thatís a question for a recruiter. Only those in the know to what the numbers going forward look like can give you an estimate.

Pedro4President
04-05-2018, 04:11 PM
Thatís a question for a recruiter. Only those in the know to what the numbers going forward look like can give you an estimate.

They made it seem like the more qualified applicants would be at the top and the less qualified would be at the bottom. So I'd guess it will vary from person to person.

bigtime209
04-05-2018, 04:44 PM
They made it seem like the more qualified applicants would be at the top and the less qualified would be at the bottom. So I'd guess it will vary from person to person.

Iíll buy that. Prioritize guys based on who they can eventually spool up into the left seat the quickest.

NoValueAviator
04-06-2018, 05:17 AM
The backup is not enough captains, flow takes 25 or so a month. Upgrades have slowed down because of LaGuardia base and "high value aviator" program is not catching many direct-entry captains. No end in sight for now in my speculation.

use2fly
04-06-2018, 06:21 AM
The backup is not enough captains, flow takes 25 or so a month. Upgrades have slowed down because of LaGuardia base and "high value aviator" program is not catching many direct-entry captains. No end in sight for now in my speculation.

Our arrogant management could fix so many things if they would give us Endeavor pay and work with us instead of against us. This place would change overnight.

But no, we will suffer their wrath with cr#p pay because we have worthless flow.

Pilotman7700
04-08-2018, 12:38 PM
I was selected on the 6Apr review board and signed my CJO on 9Apr. I personally know of 2 RTP guys that were given class dates of 21May that share those same review and CJO dates as me. I however am not a product of the RTP and am in this pool as well. I was notified of such only from calling them later in the week. Does anybody know of people getting called for class dates that were put in this pool? I really wanted Envoy but I'm starting to get worried and wondering if I should venture elsewhere.:confused:

havick206
04-08-2018, 01:17 PM
I was selected on the 6Apr review board and signed my CJO on 9Apr. I personally know of 2 RTP guys that were given class dates of 21May that share those same review and CJO dates as me. I however am not a product of the RTP and am in this pool as well. I was notified of such only from calling them later in the week. Does anybody know of people getting called for class dates that were put in this pool? I really wanted Envoy but I'm starting to get worried and wondering if I should venture elsewhere.:confused:

Do you have a time machine? Itís only 08 Apr today.

Pilotman7700
04-08-2018, 01:20 PM

Bahaha! In my quick look at the calendar I looked at the wrong weekend and didn't even think about what I was typing or looking at. It was last weekend, so 30Mar and 2Apr respectively.

BIueSideUp
04-08-2018, 03:03 PM
I would strongly recommend lots of research and interviewing with other companies in the meantime if youíre able to. Even if you think Envoy is where you need to be for reason X or Y, realize that nothing is guaranteed not (I know, double negative) to change in this line of work and that you may well end up finding something better suited to you in your search.

The forums may be a shoddy place to go for real advice but the things that are discussed generally do reflect the real issues. Not all of the advice found here is bad either. You just need to be able to analyze everything for yourself and determine the best course to reach your goals.

Sometimes itís hard to know which choices to make in starting your career, but often youíll find that the deeper you dig, the more light youíll shed on the path.

NoValueAviator
04-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Anyone else hear that two would-be 145 FO's started punching each other in the sim and were shown the door today?

EmbaeDriver
04-09-2018, 09:21 PM

Dont be a dick. The guy just wanna know. ****ing pilots get mad for anything. Princess.

EmbaeDriver
04-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Anyone else hear that two would-be 145 FO's started punching each other in the sim and were shown the door today?

Hahahah really?

havick206
04-10-2018, 02:41 AM
Dont be a dick. The guy just wanna know. ****ing pilots get mad for anything. Princess.

Wow, you canít see the funny side in anything huh?

EmbaeDriver
04-10-2018, 05:20 AM

Yeah now want to be ďfunnyĒ... *b*i*t*c*h* please.

A150K
04-10-2018, 11:18 AM

Pilots are the ultimate adult babies....precisely why I've been trying to build up my non aviation friend network lately. I love all my aviation friends, but I can only take so much "work, work, work, work...." before I lose it...

A150K
04-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Heh....when I was flight instructing something similar happened between a cfi and student from a different school in the pattern.

f16jetmech
04-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Heh....when I was flight instructing something similar happened between a cfi and student from a different school in the pattern.

Sounds dangerous... Did they crash?

A150K
04-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Sounds dangerous... Did they crash?

Nah, but the student got sent back to his country and the cfi was fired obviously.

EmbaeDriver
04-10-2018, 08:56 PM
Pilots are the ultimate adult babies....precisely why I've been trying to build up my non aviation friend network lately. I love all my aviation friends, but I can only take so much "work, work, work, work...." before I lose it...

I agree!!!

Pilotman7700
04-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Wow, this turned out interesting. Just so you're clear and hopefully the other guys read this, I found the humor in the situation and appreciated the sarcastic catch and call out. I've got some pretty thick skin and can handle a good thrash. There are definitely some drama queens on here trying to start fights. Now I just wish that Envoy would get their game on and call me cuz I need a J.O.B!!

havick206
04-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Wow, this turned out interesting. Just so you're clear and hopefully the other guys read this, I found the humor in the situation and appreciated the sarcastic catch and call out. I've got some pretty thick skin and can handle a good thrash. There are definitely some drama queens on here trying to start fights. Now I just wish that Envoy would get their game on and call me cuz I need a J.O.B!!

Hopefully you get a start date soon, welcome aboard (once you get here).

CL19
04-18-2018, 07:34 PM

I'm in the same boat and can't wait till next year for Envoy to get back to me! I can take a class date a while out, don't mind that. Just would like a hard number.

Pilotman7700
04-18-2018, 07:52 PM
I'm in the same boat and can't wait till next year for Envoy to get back to me! I can take a class date a while out, don't mind that. Just would like a hard number.

Usually I'm a fairly patient guy but when it comes to a paycheck, I'm not as keen on waiting. I really wish I did have that option though. Maybe I should just do some Uber driving while I wait.:rolleyes: Really though, I'm highly considering going elsewhere. I'll have to give up the better non-rev options, slightly worse med benefits, and not have the flow to fall back on if I need it. I'll be trading all that for a guaranteed domicile of my choice limiting my commute to just a 2 hour drive. If I don't start working within the next 5-6 weeks I could be in a world of hurt. Curious how many others that have been put in the pool have moved on?? I just wish I at least knew how many people were actually ahead of me on the list.

Whiskey4
04-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Usually I'm a fairly patient guy but when it comes to a paycheck, I'm not as keen on waiting. I really wish I did have that option though. Maybe I should just do some Uber driving while I wait.:rolleyes: Really though, I'm highly considering going elsewhere. I'll have to give up the better non-rev options, slightly worse med benefits, and not have the flow to fall back on if I need it. I'll be trading all that for a guaranteed domicile of my choice limiting my commute to just a 2 hour drive. If I don't start working within the next 5-6 weeks I could be in a world of hurt. Curious how many others that have been put in the pool have moved on?? I just wish I at least knew how many people were actually ahead of me on the list.

You could start somewhere else, log 500+ 121 and switch to Envoy at that point. I think you can get a higher bonus that way (not sure how long that deal will last though)

CL19
04-19-2018, 03:16 PM

I heard a rumor that there is somewhere around 200 people on the list, and that was two weeks ago. I have no idea where I am on the list, or whether people are moving on. If I didn't have personal reasons for going to Envoy and I didn't get a class date soon, I'd jump ship and go elsewhere

NavyRotorhead
04-24-2018, 06:49 PM
I heard a rumor that there is somewhere around 200 people on the list, and that was two weeks ago. I have no idea where I am on the list, or whether people are moving on. If I didn't have personal reasons for going to Envoy and I didn't get a class date soon, I'd jump ship and go elsewhere

Keep calling them. Squeaky wheel and all. Might not move you up but might get you some additional intel. I just got a class date of mid June yesterday.

Raider Pilot
04-25-2018, 05:30 AM
Keep calling them. Squeaky wheel and all. Might not move you up but might get you some additional intel. I just got a class date of mid June yesterday.
Curious? When was your interview date? I interviewed 3/26 and have heard that I’m in the pool. I know it’s relatively early in the game. Just trying to figure out how far out things are. Like others, I have other options and need t get to work. I may end up with who can get me flying first instead of waiting for all my boxes to be checked. Being able to pay your bills is a good QOL!

NavyRotorhead
04-25-2018, 08:42 AM
Curious? When was your interview date? I interviewed 3/26 and have heard that Iím in the pool. I know itís relatively early in the game. Just trying to figure out how far out things are. Like others, I have other options and need t get to work. I may end up with who can get me flying first instead of waiting for all my boxes to be checked. Being able to pay your bills is a good QOL!

I was RTP. Interviewed back in November. Captain's Board April 13.

Half wing
04-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Are cadets going into a pool also or do they skip the line?

Thx.

Folove
04-25-2018, 10:56 AM
Is there a wait also for DEC to show up for class or are they going right in once captain review board is completed?

NavyRotorhead
04-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Is there a wait also for DEC to show up for class or are they going right in once captain review board is completed?

Ha. Not a chance. The reason for the pool is to slow down the FO pipeline due to not enough captains. DEC is a fast track. It's a fast track to LGA, but it's still a fast track.

Folove
04-25-2018, 02:26 PM
Ha. Not a chance. The reason for the pool is to slow down the FO pipeline due to not enough captains. DEC is a fast track. It's a fast track to LGA, but it's still a fast track.

Copy that. I interviewed last week....waiting on the call.

JCPearce8
04-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Heard that it'll likely be towards the end of summer until you get a class date if you are in the pool.

Are DECs and Pipeline in the same pool?

flysooner9
04-25-2018, 05:11 PM
Heard that it'll likely be towards the end of summer until you get a class date if you are in the pool.

Are DECs and Pipeline in the same pool?

No pool for DECs but if you donít want to be stuck in LGA check out piedmont. Might not even have to be on reserve there.

JCPearce8
04-25-2018, 05:20 PM
No pool for DECs but if you donít want to be stuck in LGA check out piedmont. Might not even have to be on reserve there.

How about pipeline? Pool or No Pool?
Im pipeline.

NoValueAviator
04-25-2018, 08:04 PM
The way they were doing it was no pool for people with binding agreements, RTP, cadets, etc. They also fast track both DECs (obviously) and prior 121 or qualifying hours towards CA (135, mil w/e)

Half wing
04-26-2018, 07:31 AM
The way they were doing it was no pool for people with binding agreements, RTP, cadets, etc. They also fast track both DECs (obviously) and prior 121 or qualifying hours towards CA (135, mil w/e)

Ok. Would an Envoy new hire with 0 121 time be senior enough to avoid a CA displacement to LGA by the time said FO reaches 1000 121 hours?

Thx

BigZ
04-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Ok. Would an Envoy new hire with 0 121 time be senior enough to avoid a CA displacement to LGA by the time said FO reaches 1000 121 hours?

Thx

Don't think there'll be a solid answer to that for the next year and a half or so

highfarfast
04-26-2018, 07:57 AM

Thx

Hmmm, things changing all the time but I was a new hire with 0 121 time. I've been fairly aggressive at trying to get flying and still do not have 1000 hours and there were a few pilots awarded CA DFW on the last vacancy bid that are junior to me.

You can also do things to drag out building time if you wish like bidding reserve and not proffering for trips while on reserve. I know a few guys doing this.

NoValueAviator
04-26-2018, 08:53 AM
If DEC ever becomes a big significant thing in the pilot group, they'll serve as whipping boys and you might be able to avoid a stint in LaGarbage when you upgrade. Otherwise, if you put the pedal to the metal and upgrade before the rest of the people around your seniority, guess where you're going.

Half wing
04-26-2018, 09:08 AM
Don't think there'll be a solid answer to that for the next year and a half or so

I should have asked if anyone thinks displacements to Captain will continue for FOís? Also, I know FOís with previous 121 time have been displaced to CA because they are so junior with the requisite time, but has Envoy displaced any FO to CA that has been on property for 1.5 years(estimated time to go from 0-1000 121 hours)?

Thanks

Half wing
04-26-2018, 09:18 AM
Hmmm, things changing all the time but I was a new hire with 0 121 time. I've been fairly aggressive at trying to get flying and still do not have 1000 hours and there were a few pilots awarded CA DFW on the last vacancy bid that are junior to me.

You can also do things to drag out building time if you wish like bidding reserve and not proffering for trips while on reserve. I know a few guys doing this.

Ok thanks, that is insightful. I was thinking that if I had 0 121 time I would avoid work like the plague so as to be senior enough by the time I reached my 1000 hours, to avoid a LGA Captain displacement. I didnít realize that DFW Captain bids went as junior as you described. That would be the way to go assuming I lived in Dallas.

uavking
04-26-2018, 09:22 AM
I should have asked if anyone thinks displacements to Captain will continue for FOís? Also, I know FOís with previous 121 time have been displaced to CA because they are so junior with the requisite time, but has Envoy displaced any FO to CA that has been on property for 1.5 years(estimated time to go from 0-1000 121 hours)?

Thanks

Yes and yes, on both this most recent vacancy and the one prior.

EmbaeDriver
04-26-2018, 09:41 AM

Thx

Maaaaaaaybeeee. But LGA is the fastest one to get a line I guess. Somewhere else youíll be reserve for life. Not bad if you live in base tho.

Folove
05-01-2018, 09:40 AM
I got called today for a class date in June. I am a DEC. Iím surprised they didnít offer a May class date since they are so low on captains...

NoValueAviator
05-01-2018, 11:17 AM
I got called today for a class date in June. I am a DEC. Iím surprised they didnít offer a May class date since they are so low on captains...

Probably either no May classes, May classes already well over 30, or administrative error.

Folove
05-01-2018, 01:15 PM
Probably either no May classes, May classes already well over 30, or administrative error.

Do they usually have a wait list for people who want an earlier date?

flysooner9
05-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Do they usually have a wait list for people who want an earlier date?

If you donít want to be stuck in LGA or on reserve check out Piedmont. Non LGA base and likely no reserve. You also get captains pay from day 1 unlike Envoy. Also the same sign on bonus.

Bigpimppilot
05-01-2018, 02:20 PM
That sounds like a good deal. Not like theyíd get to fly the 175 for the first few years at Envoy anyway. The 145s are nice

Folove
05-01-2018, 02:45 PM
If you donít want to be stuck in LGA or on reserve check out Piedmont. Non LGA base and likely no reserve. You also get captains pay from day 1 unlike Envoy. Also the same sign on bonus.

PDT is actually worse...they wonít even have you in Indoc till mid fall.

flysooner9
05-01-2018, 03:26 PM

Not true. Interviewed a week ago and offered a May 7 class

babs
05-01-2018, 05:37 PM

Give it a rest dude. Youíve posted this several times now. Any semi-intelligent person can figure out that pdt doesnít have a LGA base. Pdt sucks equally as bad as Envoy. Might even be worse in many respects.

flysooner9
05-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Give it a rest dude. Youíve posted this several times now. Any semi-intelligent person can figure out that pdt doesnít have a LGA base. Pdt sucks equally as bad as Envoy. Might even be worse in many respects.

Thatís highly debatable, getting paid captain pay while in training alone is worth an extra 7k at least. Plus arguably faster flow.

Bigpimppilot
05-01-2018, 06:38 PM

It sounds like they are better and thatís why they have a longer wait. Am I missing something?

flysooner9
05-01-2018, 06:45 PM
I think thereís also a reason you donít seen tons of negative posts in their forum. Everyone Iíve talked to is relatively content and things should get better soon with their current negotiations.

Iím just making sure other DEC candidates like myself know about the opportunity at Piedmont, I certainly didnít till very recently.

Folove
05-01-2018, 08:29 PM
It sounds like they are better and thatís why they have a longer wait. Am I missing something?

No

Filler

MD-11Loader
05-02-2018, 04:14 AM
Go to PDT. Youíll get really proficient at the wiz wheel and using their unapproved w&b program. Better off making captain pay from day one than month three.

havick206
05-02-2018, 04:22 AM
I think thereís also a reason you donít seen tons of negative posts in their forum. Everyone Iíve talked to is relatively content and things should get better soon with their current negotiations.

Iím just making sure other DEC candidates like myself know about the opportunity at Piedmont, I certainly didnít till very recently.

Have you actually spoken to pilots that work there? Not that Iím defending the ****ty deal at Envoy, but PDT has some serious issues too at the moment. Youíll probably get off reserve quicker, thatís about it.

aviatorckf
05-02-2018, 06:44 AM
Go to PDT. Youíll get really proficient at the wiz wheel and using their unapproved w&b program. Better off making captain pay from day one than month three.

Final approval and OpSpec for electronic W&B has arrived. The program is in the test phase now.

A150K
05-02-2018, 09:22 AM
I know people at piedmont. They basically have many of the same problems we do. The grass isn't really greener.

EmbaeDriver
05-02-2018, 09:37 AM
I know people at piedmont. They basically have many of the same problems we do. The grass isn't really greener.

Everyone got problems, we are regionals bro. Meaning that we suck basically.

A150K
05-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Everyone got problems, we are regionals bro. Meaning that we suck basically.

Pretty much