Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Hire Training

Squallrider
04-06-2018, 06:02 AM
Didnít see a thread so I thought Iíd start one...

Any info / tips for new hire training?

What hotel do they put you in? Food options?

Dress code for the dinner before class? Are spouses positive spaced down?

First day of class is tour/ benefits etc with spouse, what time do the spouses leave? Trying to plan child care.

Uniforms - who is the official vendor? Uniform allotment? Can I use acutabove uniforms? :x

Any tips for getting through training without being divorced ? (Just kidding...sort of)

Peacock
04-06-2018, 07:01 AM
Didnít see a thread so I thought Iíd start one...

Any info / tips for new hire training?

What hotel do they put you in? Food options?

Dress code for the dinner before class? Are spouses positive spaced down?

First day of class is tour/ benefits etc with spouse, what time do the spouses leave? Trying to plan child care.

Uniforms - who is the official vendor? Uniform allotment? Can I use acutabove uniforms? :x

Any tips for getting through training without being divorced ? (Just kidding...sort of)
Tips: have fun. Also, join the new hire Facebook group if you do FB.

They have been putting most people in the Hilton Anatole, unless that has changed. BBQ, burgers, pizza, Mexican all walking distance plus hotel food. Helps to have Hilton Honors status for free food at hotel.

Dress code is slacks. The rest of training except maybe a couple days is jeans. Should get an email.

Spouses left in the afternoon if I remember correctly. Should get an email to set up travel.

Lots of people used their own uniforms. I bought their shirts but wish I hadnít bought the pants. Haggar cool 21ís are better. No uniform allowance. Almost no one buys a blazer, only real choice is leather or synthetic jacket.

Watch out for working girls at the Anatole bar.

Salukidawg
04-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Buy the blazer for pickets (yes we wear them for those), Pilot funerals, and Adopt-a-Pilot if you want to participate in that program.

Skyward
04-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Buy the blazer because your leather jacket or lightweight will take months to get. I guess your looking at summer though, so not a biggie. I was winter.

I actually bought the whole uniform because it didnít seem right to finally get my dream job and not have the uniform. I bought the blazer, leather jacket, shirts, pants AND a hat. I never wear the hat, but I figured one day I would regret not having it as a souvenior. Itís all payroll deductable, and I figure Iíll always have the $30 coming out for uniform maintenance. I did at my previous airline as well.

I actually like the blazer in the months when the leather is too heavy. Itís easier to commute with and is made well, IMO.

Skyward
04-06-2018, 09:02 AM
I had a blast in training I might add. Stayed at the Anatole. Same room for 8 weeks, went home every one to three weeks depending on schedule. I guess I went home 4 or 5 times during the 8 weeks.

My wife stayed the night after the first day of class. It was nice to celebrate with a good dinner for two on the 37th floor of the Anatole (30% off food).

Have fun because it is a good time. Also, deck party every monday on the roof of HQ...

USMCF18
04-06-2018, 10:03 AM
How much all in for the full complement of uniforms? Ballpark..... and if one were to get the Hagar cool 21s what color would one go with?

Squallrider
04-06-2018, 10:10 AM
I always get the blazer then never wear it ha but now that Iíll be doing more walks rounds I will. Do the pants from cutabove match ok? Because they are awesome.

ZapBrannigan
04-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Re: lightweight jackets

You have two choices.

1. Get a blazer and look like an airline pilot or

2. Get the ďlightweight optionĒ and look like a ski school instructor who delivers for Dominos on the side.

[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saab2000
04-06-2018, 11:43 AM
I like my Karbon jacket and I don't know that I'll ever wear my leather jacket again. It's hot in the warm weather and even in cold weather I sweat inside it and even with the liner it's not a warm jacket. So you freeze and sweat at the same time with the leather jacket.

The blazer is a good piece and I loved wearing it at my old company. I may get a SWA blazer next time I'm in Dallas.

Regarding training, just follow their instructions. First night is a jacket and tie evening IIRC and the first day of class is the same. Maybe they were the same day.... I don't really remember! It was a blur. But soon you'll be in good jeans and a nice shirt and settle in for the next 7-8 weeks.

My class and I stayed at a Westin about 10 or 11 miles from DAL. I'm glad I brought my car though there was transportation many days too. But once we had early morning sims I was extremely glad I had my car there.

Not sure how it is at the new hotel. That was last spring and I know things have changed.

Westpac15
04-06-2018, 11:52 AM
The Anatole was where we stayed in DEC. Great hotel however if they have you in the main building overlooking the bar I would suggest you move to the quieter blocks of rooms that over look the breakfast restaurant. This place has almost 2000 rooms and they have HUGE conventions. It will be very noisy down below most weeknights which will bleed thru to inside the room. Id say about 1/2 in our class moved to the quite block at some point over by the paper tiger / SWA laundry room. Everything else is spot on. I was lucky and my commute was only a 40min flight so I went home even on single days off which was about 1 every 7-10 days with a few longer breaks. I also had a car which I would suggest for those who dont have the luxury of going home alot. Be prepared to make lots of friends in your class having a car :). I envy they guys going in this summer being able to float in the lazy river and do CBT's on there iPads.

Good luck to all its been fun so far

Skyward
04-06-2018, 12:20 PM
The Anatole was where we stayed in DEC. Great hotel however if they have you in the main building overlooking the bar I would suggest you move to the quieter blocks of rooms that over look the breakfast restaurant. This place has almost 2000 rooms and they have HUGE conventions. It will be very noisy down below most weeknights which will bleed thru to inside the room. Id say about 1/2 in our class moved to the quite block at some point over by the paper tiger / SWA laundry room. Everything else is spot on. I was lucky and my commute was only a 40min flight so I went home even on single days off which was about 1 every 7-10 days with a few longer breaks. I also had a car which I would suggest for those who dont have the luxury of going home alot. Be prepared to make lots of friends in your class having a car :). I envy they guys going in this summer being able to float in the lazy river and do CBT's on there iPads.

Good luck to all its been fun so far

That reminds me... itís good to keep a coat and tie at the hotel because there will be some weddings and parties to crash. :D

Peacock
04-06-2018, 12:24 PM

You have two choices.

2. Get the ďlightweight optionĒ and look like a ski school instructor who delivers for Dominos on the side.

[emoji6]

Or just get the leather

Peacock
04-06-2018, 12:26 PM
I like my Karbon jacket and I don't know that I'll ever wear my leather jacket again. It's hot in the warm weather and even in cold weather I sweat inside it and even with the liner it's not a warm jacket. So you freeze and sweat at the same time with the leather jacket.

The blazer is a good piece and I loved wearing it at my old company. I may get a SWA blazer next time I'm in Dallas.

Regarding training, just follow their instructions. First night is a jacket and tie evening IIRC and the first day of class is the same. Maybe they were the same day.... I don't really remember! It was a blur. But soon you'll be in good jeans and a nice shirt and settle in for the next 7-8 weeks.

My class and I stayed at a Westin about 10 or 11 miles from DAL. I'm glad I brought my car though there was transportation many days too. But once we had early morning sims I was extremely glad I had my car there.

Not sure how it is at the new hotel. That was last spring and I know things have changed.

Zero ties at my welcome dinner

Squallrider
04-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Maybe a weird question but I need 2 days off sometime after training, basically my wife and I didnít have a proper wedding (did courthouse to save money for house) Iíll be done with ioe and probably my consolidation month. Is there anything I can do? Itís at the beginning of August

flyguy81
04-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Maybe a weird question but I need 2 days off sometime after training, basically my wife and I didnít have a proper wedding (did courthouse to save money for house) Iíll be done with ioe and probably my consolidation month. Is there anything I can do? Itís at the beginning of August

Your hard line month you can move stuff around to get what you need off. If you canít put the trips/rsv in give away. If nobody bites, talk to the CP in your base and theyíll pull the trip for no pay.

Squallrider
04-06-2018, 03:53 PM
Your hard line month you can move stuff around to get what you need off. If you canít put the trips/rsv in give away. If nobody bites, talk to the CP in your base and theyíll pull the trip for no pay.

Perfect thanks ! Iíd gladly work somewhere else

Smokey23
04-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Or just get the leather

...and make sure you get it with the zip-out liner, or else it really isn't a very lightweight jacket.

P.S. The Karbon jacket looks hideous.

RckyMtHigh
04-06-2018, 07:43 PM
...and make sure you get it with the zip-out liner, or else it really isn't a very lightweight jacket.

P.S. The Karbon jacket looks hideous.

I would estimate I see about 85% folks wearing the Karbon jacket. Most of the rest in leather jackets. Very, very few in the blazer (and I donít think Iíve ever seen a FO in one).

Personally, I like the Karbon. With no liner it was warm enough to get me through all but the bitterest NE days, then packs up nicely when youíre in CA the next day (unlike the leather).

ROFF
04-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Take a look in your closet. What kind of jackets do you have?

That pretty much decided it for me.

If you stay at the Anatole, be careful. You wonít work off the Rodeo Goat doing laps on the lazy river.

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 04:57 AM
So leather jacket looks the best? I never wear the dinner jacket but i always buy it ha maybe I can be a southwest unicorn and wear it as a FO

Jeff Lebowski
04-07-2018, 06:30 AM
So leather jacket looks the best? I never wear the dinner jacket but i always buy it ha maybe I can be a southwest unicorn and wear it as a FO

I bought the leather and while it's a fine garment that will doubtless outlast me the thing weighs a ton and finding a place to put it when you wind up someplace warm can be a hassle. It's also serious overkill for the amount of time we spend out of doors, doing preflights and walking to and from vans etc., and it isn't very comfortable.

While I was waiting for the leather to come in (the lead time was something like five months because I have gorilla arms and needed a custom fit) I got the blazer and wore it for my first couple months' worth of trips. It's comfortable, provides all the warmth you need, and looks good. The downside is that the fabric is delicate and prone to snags and jamming it into the coat rack in the front of a '73 does it no favors.

I'm now leaning toward the Karbon. I'm not overly keen on the way it looks but we practice a very intensive style of aviating at Southwest, with lots of legs and swaps and general running about. The benefit of having something you can wad up into a ball and jam down into your rollerboard as the need arises is huge.

slimothy
04-07-2018, 07:08 AM
Iím in the junior class right now, until the next class starts on Monday. We are staying at the Marriott around the corner from the Anatole. Definitely less walking options for food, I really wish I had my car.

The welcome dinner is business casual, the first day of class is suit/sport coat and ties for your ID photo. Otherwise a nice pair of jeans and anything with a collar is acceptable/the norm for class. We chose to go business casual for our leadership breakfast. You wonít likely know which member of the executive team will show up, we decided to dress it up a bit. Tom Nealon, the president, ended up being our speaker.

They send you systems modules to do before you get down there. You will be required to do the same modules on your company provided iPad. So itís up to you if you really want to do them twice. Thereís a guy who looks a lot like me and sits in my chair who didnít do any studying ahead of time and things are going well. YMMV.

Good luck, and welcome aboard. Itís a good time so far. I think your wife will be impressed with what she sees, I know that it got mine 100% on board for the first time since I started in the 121 world.

BigWillyCapt
04-07-2018, 07:20 AM
Is the Karbon the black, sporty, lightweight, ski-instructor one?

ZapBrannigan
04-07-2018, 07:35 AM
Is the Karbon the black, sporty, lightweight, ski-instructor one?

Yes. Maybe you younger guys can pull it off. Iíll stick with the blazer and just throw a windbreaker in my bag for my off time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 07:44 AM
Iím in the junior class right now, until the next class starts on Monday. We are staying at the Marriott around the corner from the Anatole. Definitely less walking options for food, I really wish I had my car.

The welcome dinner is business casual, the first day of class is suit/sport coat and ties for your ID photo. Otherwise a nice pair of jeans and anything with a collar is acceptable/the norm for class. We chose to go business casual for our leadership breakfast. You wonít likely know which member of the executive team will show up, we decided to dress it up a bit. Tom Nealon, the president, ended up being our speaker.

They send you systems modules to do before you get down there. You will be required to do the same modules on your company provided iPad. So itís up to you if you really want to do them twice. Thereís a guy who looks a lot like me and sits in my chair who didnít do any studying ahead of time and things are going well. YMMV.

Good luck, and welcome aboard. Itís a good time so far. I think your wife will be impressed with what she sees, I know that it got mine 100% on board for the first time since I started in the 121 world.

Ha were part of 121 world itís more the training and qol changes, mines been pretty high at my regional I typically work 3 day trips and off 16-17 days a month but time to move on :) Iím looking forward to it, and I know with seniority itíll get better. I live near mdw so shouldnít take my whole life ha

RJSAviator76
04-07-2018, 07:57 AM
I bought leather when I was a newhire and used it for the first winter here. I really like it. Doing a preflight in SLC or MSP in January... it really came in handy.

I didnít really like the look of Karbon jacket, but quickly got over it. That jacket is very comfortable and does the job, and the best part about it is that it easily folds up in your bag if you go somewhere warm. So for me, I bring leather if itís cold and miserable everywhere I go. If my trip is a mix of warm and cold weather or if itís not quite stupid cold, but cold enough, Iíll bring my Karbon jacket.

Fgrosoli
04-07-2018, 09:15 AM

So for how many days is the wife involved on a welcome tour? She is trying to coordinate days off at work but no info are available....
Thanks

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 09:25 AM
So for how many days is the wife involved on a welcome tour? She is trying to coordinate days off at work but no info are available....
Thanks

Night before class and I think most of dat 1

Psycho18th
04-07-2018, 09:39 AM
I have the Karbon jacket. You can wad it up an jam it in your bag easily. Itís lightweight but plenty warm and waterproof. I donít even hang it up, just put it next to my flight bag beside the seat. Get the liner. Iíve only used the liner a couple times, but it works great as a layover jacket and takes up no room in your bag.

Saw my first crew wearing blazers the other day. When they walked off the plane for the changeover, I thought they were jumpseaters from another airline. So, there are guys who wear the blazer. Someone told me itís more common at certain domiciles.

I thought it was worth watching the systems videos once through before training. It made them make more sense the second time through for credit. That may depend more on your flying background.

FlyGirl727
04-07-2018, 09:40 AM
What does the word professional mean? Professional means relating to a person's work, especially work that requires special training. That includes Doctors, Lawyers, Musicians, AND pilots.
Since we are professionals, our uniform is a symbol of professionalism. If your hat fits, wear it. A blazer with your stripes should be worn with pride. It took a lot of training to get the job, why not look like a professional. While we make fun of the Delta pilots, you certainly must agree they look professional. Your appearance is the passengers first impression.

at6d
04-07-2018, 10:00 AM
I like the option of not having to wear the blazer and hat. The AA way wasnít my bag.

That being said, I think people should take the time to keep whatever they are wearing in good order. Just donít look like a slob.

And I did see an FO wearing the blazer last trip.

Warhawg01
04-07-2018, 10:12 AM
No, actually I donít have to agree that Delta pilots look professional. I think they look silly and deserving of all the scorn heaped their way.

The blazer is a holdover from a bygone era. Airline travel has since become a commodity. Yoga pants and flip flops abound. Southwest Airlines played a huge part in that, for better or worse.

I saw a bunch of Doctors and nurses get off one of our flight in scrubs. Kind of tacky, sure, but are they no longer professionals?

If you like the blazer or think it makes you look like a real airline pilot, knock yourself out. But I think back to some advice that a friend of mine here gave me when I started: if your CA is wearing a blazer, tread carefully. If itís blazer and hat, call in sick.

e6bpilot
04-07-2018, 10:17 AM
I personally like the way the blazer looks, but I just canít bring myself to do it. I own two suits that I wear once every 2 years or so and I have a feeling the blazer would get the same treatment.
I am about to pull the pin on buying the Karbon after holding out. The new one fits much better. Yeah, it looks weird but I am a commuter and I value comfort and weight over everything else.
My leather jacket and I arenít talking right now. I spent a lot of money and time waiting for it, so I want to like it, but it is SO FREAKING HEAVY. I find myself regretting having it along as much as I am glad I brought it. This past winter I have brought a nondescript pullover and just throw it on during walk arounds (a nondescript rain jacket is allowed in the AOM) and pop off my tie and throw it on after I am done for the day.
Works great, but I get some funny looks and comments from captains. One told me I had to stay in uniform until I got to the hotel. Uh....no. Eye roll emoji.

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Is there a sweater option ? Lol I have one where I work now with fleece lining which is nice. (Iím not going to wear non approved stuff at swa ha)

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Whatís the headset most people use? I have non tsa uflymic but may be willing to change as its old

RJSAviator76
04-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Whatís the headset most people use? I have non tsa uflymic but may be willing to change as its old

Bose A20. You can get a rebate through SWAPA. Totally worth it!

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Thatís pretty heavy duty tho

Sqwk7700
04-07-2018, 12:41 PM

+1 on the bose. Wish I had switched sooner.

RJSAviator76
04-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Thatís pretty heavy duty tho

The one and only problem I have with Bose A20 is that itís a tad bulky, but thatís it. Youíll find that most Southwest pilots use this headset.

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 12:53 PM

How much is the rebate?

RJSAviator76
04-07-2018, 12:54 PM
How much is the rebate?

I think it was like $150 or so.

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 02:32 PM
What are the food options in class?

slimothy
04-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Thanks

Monday night party. Half day of benefits bringing and a tour Tuesday (they take the guests on a tour while the new hires get ID photos taken). My wife left Wednesday morning. I think some left Tuesday evening, others stayed until Friday.

slimothy
04-07-2018, 03:16 PM
What are the food options in class?

Lunch is provided the first several days, and there is a cafeteria with just about any reasonable option you can think of. It was closed the Saturday before Easter, so most of us hitched rides with the guys who brought their cars and we went off campus. If youíre short on time, thereís a little snack shop in the training spaces.

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Lunch is provided the first several days, and there is a cafeteria with just about any reasonable option you can think of. It was closed the Saturday before Easter, so most of us hitched rides with the guys who brought their cars and we went off campus. If youíre short on time, thereís a little snack shop in the training spaces.

Perfect just what I was hoping for

slimothy
04-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Perfect just what I was hoping for

Some guys (myself included) have started grocery shopping so we can pack a lunch to save some cash. Not sure how long Iíll last doing that, but Iím gonna try.

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Some guys (myself included) have started grocery shopping so we can pack a lunch to save some cash. Not sure how long Iíll last doing that, but Iím gonna try.

Have you tried using instantcart or amazon fresh? Thatís my plan as well as a toaster oven and if Iím super adventurous a portable hot plate that some pilots carry on trips lol

slimothy
04-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Have you tried using instantcart or amazon fresh? Thatís my plan as well as a toaster oven and if Iím super adventurous a portable hot plate that some pilots carry on trips lol

I might, but first Iím going to ask the front desk for a larger fridge. The one Iíve got is a tiny cube. At least one guy in my class bought the appliances you mentioned, plus a mini fridge.

Squallrider
04-07-2018, 04:45 PM
I might, but first Iím going to ask the front desk for a larger fridge. The one Iíve got is a tiny cube. At least one guy in my class bought the appliances you mentioned, plus a mini fridge.

I donít have that kind of change...though I may splurge on a nespresso machine because coffee is life

slimothy
04-07-2018, 05:28 PM
I donít have that kind of change...though I may splurge on a nespresso machine because coffee is life

If youíre at the Marriott, there will be pretty decent coffee (I am a self identified coffee snob) in the lobby every morning. There is something that passes for coffee in the training spaces. Both of those options are free.

WHACKMASTER
04-07-2018, 06:58 PM

You have two choices.

[emoji6]

Exactly! That Karbon jacket looks like utter $h!t. Ridiculous....

ROFF
04-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Fashion and finance.

Not exactly strong points of most airline pilots.

No offense. I suck at both.

ZapBrannigan
04-08-2018, 05:53 AM
I like the Clarity Aloft for headset. Bose is too rich for my blood

Riverside
04-08-2018, 06:15 AM
I like the Clarity Aloft for headset. Bose is too rich for my blood

Have you thought about getting a custom ear mold?

e6bpilot
04-08-2018, 07:05 AM
I use the company provided headset and I actually like it. I am a former Bose user and I donít like the weight of the Bose although their noise reduction is amazing.
The company Telex is a good compromise and the price is right.
I hear the company is trying to get out of the headset business and may provide a stipend of some sort in the future.

Squallrider
04-08-2018, 07:33 AM
Iím debating the David Clark pro x, lightweight but affordable

Proximity
04-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Is there a sweater option ? Lol I have one where I work now with fleece lining which is nice. (Iím not going to wear non approved stuff at swa ha)

There is a sweater but you can't wear it beyond the jetway. I do use the sweater in the dead of winter but it means grabbing your jacket if you want to run into the terminal.

Fgrosoli
04-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Monday night party. Half day of benefits bringing and a tour Tuesday (they take the guests on a tour while the new hires get ID photos taken). My wife left Wednesday morning. I think some left Tuesday evening, others stayed until Friday.

thank you very much

Fgrosoli
04-08-2018, 08:43 AM
If youíre at the Marriott, there will be pretty decent coffee (I am a self identified coffee snob) in the lobby every morning. There is something that passes for coffee in the training spaces. Both of those options are free.

So hotel options right now is Hilton Anatole and Marriott correct?
Hope in the Hilton, being a diamond member those extra perks help!!!

USMCF18
04-08-2018, 08:51 AM
My class tomorrow will be in Hilton Anatole... but I donít have the points to make it better! 😖

TexasFlight
04-08-2018, 09:29 AM
Karbon Jacket. Not going to win any fashion contests but the durability of it is really good. I think the Blazer works fine as well.

UFlymike Harmony with the Bose QC20. Great headset. Probably end of summer for TSO but I just keep the Telex in my bag in case anybody gets their panties in a wad. No issues in over a year of heavy use. Headset keeps working even when the battery dies. For me personally the 737 requires an "In Ear" or "Over the Ear" headset. Too much noise for an "On Ear".

Welcome and good luck to all!

slimothy
04-08-2018, 09:58 AM
My class tomorrow will be in Hilton Anatole... but I donít have the points to make it better! 😖

At the Marriott, some of those perks are offered to SWA new hires. But if your not a platinum member now, you will be by the time you check out.

Peacock
04-08-2018, 11:54 AM
Get the Amex platinum. Instant gold for Hilton.

Zard
04-08-2018, 12:05 PM

Bingo. You might even still get the first year fee waived if youíre still on terminal leave from AD.

USMCF18
04-08-2018, 12:46 PM
At the Marriott, some of those perks are offered to SWA new hires. But if your not a platinum member now, you will be by the time you check out.

I thought you only got credit (points) for incidentals and such? Maybe a day or two depending on how often you get your room cleaned.... am I missing something?

USMCF18
04-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Hmmmm.... tempting. Of course the last thing I need is another credit card. But still, very tempting.

moflyer
04-08-2018, 12:57 PM

If you stay at the Marriot Suites, be careful what you keep in your mini fridge. They are more beverage coolers than refrigerators. There is BBQ grill to use as well.

Squallrider
04-08-2018, 01:16 PM
How does parking work during training? I live near mdw but probably wonít be based there for a while. Prob cab it instead of leaving my car out

slimothy
04-08-2018, 02:53 PM
I thought you only got credit (points) for incidentals and such? Maybe a day or two depending on how often you get your room cleaned.... am I missing something?

All of my bar meals and bourbons charge to the room.

ZapBrannigan
04-08-2018, 04:16 PM
How does parking work during training? I live near mdw but probably wonít be based there for a while. Prob cab it instead of leaving my car out

Parking where? At home? Or at the training hotel?

USMCF18
04-08-2018, 05:08 PM
All of my bar meals and bourbons charge to the room.

Outstanding!

slimothy
04-08-2018, 05:12 PM

SWA doesnít pay or reimburse for parking, so I wouldnít leave your car at the airport for 2 months. Might want to grab a taxi/Uber, etc.

Squallrider
04-08-2018, 05:48 PM
SWA doesnít pay or reimburse for parking, so I wouldnít leave your car at the airport for 2 months. Might want to grab a taxi/Uber, etc.

Ah, what about when youíre on the line? Do they have employee parking?

Fuseplug
04-08-2018, 06:08 PM

Contract 2020. I guarantee it. :D

TerrainTerrain
04-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Pro food tip:

Download the amazon prime now app. When in class order some groceries, bread, sandwich meat etc. whatever you want. You can select specific stores like sprouts, Whole Foods etc. select delivery time 1/2 hour after class is scheduled out. They will put cold packs on meats and what not. Couple dollar delivery charge. Front desk will hold bags or deliver to your room. Donít need a car.

BigWillyCapt
04-08-2018, 06:20 PM
Can we use the employee parking at HQ if we are based in DAL?

Peacock
04-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Can we use the employee parking at HQ if we are based in DAL?

Yes

USMCF18
04-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Pro food tip:

Download the amazon prime now app. When in class order some groceries, bread, sandwich meat etc. whatever you want. You can select specific stores like sprouts, Whole Foods etc. select delivery time 1/2 hour after class is scheduled out. They will put cold packs on meats and what not. Couple dollar delivery charge. Front desk will hold bags or deliver to your room. Donít need a car.
This sounds way too good to be true...but I am in. Already downloaded the app, canít wait to try it.

Squallrider
04-09-2018, 05:18 AM
This sounds way too good to be true...but I am in. Already downloaded the app, canít wait to try it.

We use that and instantcart at home , itís great and equally priced to stores

tanker
04-09-2018, 07:14 AM
Only in DAL is employee parking free, and then only if you park at the GO. At all of the other bases you can use employee parking but you have to pay a monthly fee for it.

Squallrider
04-09-2018, 07:29 AM
Only in DAL is employee parking free, and then only if you park at the GO. At all of the other bases you can use employee parking but you have to pay a monthly fee for it.

Perfect thanks! And Iím assuming that starts after training is complete that youíre eligible? Do you have to be based in that base to get the employee rate?

tanker
04-09-2018, 08:05 PM
It may vary from base to base o your best bet is to talk to the base coordinators at that base. You can even call them while your in DAL before you are officially assigned a base.

Squallrider
04-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Does healthcare kick in day one? I have class on the 1st

PowerShift
04-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Does healthcare kick in day one? I have class on the 1st

Yes, day 1. By law your former employer is required to offer health insurance for a period of time after separation. In my case it was 1 month, and I paid for that coverage.

You have about a week to pick your plan and options. I recommend the regular plan. Search this forum for regular plan and read to your hearts content.

RJSAviator76
04-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Bear in mind, the company will actively try to talk you out of Regular Plan. Been on it since day 1, and after several big items, zero complaints.

Smooth at FL450
04-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Bear in mind, the company will actively try to talk you out of Regular Plan. Been on it since day 1, and after several big items, zero complaints.

I 2nd this! There's a reason all the literature provided you lays out everything the Regular Plan doesn't cover, while no such 'precautions' are provided for the other plans.

MarkTwain
04-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Re headsets: Bose just came out with a new much lighter weight "headset". It is more like the Clarity aloft but still has ANR. Take a look before you buy an A20. I love my A20 but will probably get the new one when mine wears out.

saab2000
04-11-2018, 08:13 AM
Do your research on the various medical plans. I opted for the HSA because the regular plan doesn't cover a lot of preventative health care. Additionally, I can save money in the account for future medical expenses.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything, but do your research to make sure the Regular Plan is the right one for you and your family. It might be but it might not be too. It's good to have options.

Squallrider
04-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Re headsets: Bose just came out with a new much lighter weight "headset". It is more like the Clarity aloft but still has ANR. Take a look before you buy an A20. I love my A20 but will probably get the new one when mine wears out.

Iím thinking of getting it too but I hesrd people say the 737 is super loud so over the ear is better. Iím willing to try this tho as I love bose

Laramie
04-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Squallrider, check your mail please.

cousteau808
04-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Iím thinking of getting it too but I hesrd people say the 737 is super loud so over the ear is better. Iím willing to try this tho as I love bose

The 737 is comparable to the 175.... imo. I've used the DC Pro X in both and it's fine. Also the Telex 850.

Squallrider
04-11-2018, 09:56 AM
Squallrider, check your mail please.

I donít see anything

Squallrider
04-11-2018, 10:46 AM
When is payday and what period does it cover. For instance by us 1-15 pays on 23rd

CA1900
04-11-2018, 10:58 AM
When is payday and what period does it cover. For instance by us 1-15 pays on 23rd

Paydays are the 5th and 20th of each month. The 5th is an "advance," a flat 47.5 TFP (unless you opt for less). The 20th is the actual pay for the prior month, minus the advance paid on the 5th.

For example, I flew about 117 TFP in March. So I got paid 47.5 TFP on April 5th, and will be paid the remaining 69.5 TFP on April 20th.

Squallrider
04-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Paydays are the 5th and 20th of each month. The 5th is an "advance," a flat 47.5 TFP (unless you opt for less). The 20th is the actual pay for the prior month, minus the advance paid on the 5th.

For example, I flew about 117 TFP in March. So I got paid 47.5 TFP on April 5th, and will be paid the remaining 69.5 TFP on April 20th.

How much do people typically tfp a month? Is the first year rate accurate on apc? Just trying to figure how much Iíd typically make on reserve

Peacock
04-11-2018, 02:02 PM
How much do people typically tfp a month? Is the first year rate accurate on apc? Just trying to figure how much Iíd typically make on reserve
In a 30 day month on reserve you will have 15 reserve days. You will get at least 6 tfp per day. Thatís if you donít get used. If you get used, you will get trip rigs, basically at least 6.5 average tfp or more if you flew more, plus per diem. First year tfp is $69.34. If you choose to fly extra on top of your original assigned credit, you get paid at the second year rate, $100. They will explain all of this in training.

BigWillyCapt
04-11-2018, 05:13 PM
How does the 737 compare with a CRJ 200 noise wise?

CA1900
04-11-2018, 06:28 PM

Short answer: I'd plan around 100TFP per month unless you pick up extra days. At $69.34 per trip, that's $6934 per month, or $83208 annually.

Longer answer: Reserve pays a minimum of 6 TFP per day if you don't fly. If you go out on a trip, it pays normal trip rig, which is 6.5 TFP per day average daily guarantee when you're on a trip, or the value of the trip, whichever is higher. A typical trip is a 3-day, which may pay the 19.5 TFP minimum ADG, or may be more. I head out tomorrow for one that pays 21.5, for example.

You'll get at least 15 days off a month on reserve (probably exactly 15), meaning you'll work 15 or 16 days per month, so 90 or 96 TFP minimum. If you fly all those days, that's 97.5 or 104 TFP minimum, depending if you work 15 or 16 days.

Odds are that you'll fly most reserve days unless it's Jan-Feb and you have a "pass" preference. It'd be really, really hard to get less than 100TFP most months.

Squallrider
04-12-2018, 06:08 AM

So if I start class on the first I can expect a paycheck on the 5th? O.o

slimothy
04-12-2018, 09:59 AM
So if I start class on the first I can expect a paycheck on the 5th? O.o

I started on the 27th, got paid ~$2300 after taxes. So yes.

Squallrider
04-12-2018, 10:12 AM
I know they will cover this in training but curious at the moment.

Whatís a blank line? How long to hold one in mdw? Is reserve bids a hard line as well?

ZapBrannigan
04-12-2018, 10:25 AM
A blank line is a second round bid.

In the first round you bid lines and reserve. But if you are willing to gamble (and senior enough to do so) you can bid a second round bid - a blank line.

Itís called blank because in the first round, blank lines are numbered but have no trips, no days off. They just show a blank calendar.

If you are awarded one of those in the first round, that becomes your ďseniorityĒ for bidding in round two. So letís say there are 50 blank lines and you are awarded the 20th one. Your seniority in round 2 is 20 out of 50.

On the 17th of each month blank lines are released. They are constructed from vacation pulls, military leave, etc. You bid on those and they are awarded on the 19th.

As to how long it takes to hold one? That question, much like how long to hold a domicile or how long to upgrade is entirely dependent upon how long the company continues to hire at this rate. If the music stops, things obviously stagnate to the rate of retirement.

Hope that answers your question.

Squallrider
04-12-2018, 10:29 AM
A blank line is a second round bid.

In the first round you bid lines and reserve. But if you are willing to gamble (and senior enough to do so) you can bid a second round bid - a blank line.

Itís called blank because in the first round, blank lines are numbered but have no trips, no days off. They just show a blank calendar.

If you are awarded one of those in the first round, that becomes your ďseniorityĒ for bidding in round two. So letís say there are 50 blank lines and you are awarded the 20th one. Your seniority in round 2 is 20 out of 50.

On the 17th of each month blank lines are released. They are constructed from vacation pulls, military leave, etc. You bid on those and they are awarded on the 19th.

As to how long it takes to hold one? That question, much like how long to hold a domicile or how long to upgrade is entirely dependent upon how long the company continues to hire at this rate. If the music stops, things obviously stagnate to the rate of retirement.

Hope that answers your question.

So whatís the benefit to having one? More days off potentially?

tanker
04-12-2018, 10:39 AM
So whatís the benefit to having one? More days off potentially?
The main advantage is that you can get weekends off, without being on Reserve, before you seniority would allow you to have weekends off with a hard line. That would be due to pairing being pulled for training. A second advantage is that they pay higher because they come from high paying pairings that got pulled for vacation, but then you would be working weekends.

Warhawg01
04-12-2018, 10:55 AM
For all intents and purposes, you become a line holder. You can trade any of the trips you are awarded in the second round with the company (ELITT). You can not trade reserve blocks with the company, only with other pilots.

ELITT can be hit or miss for a wide array of reasons, though.

at6d
04-12-2018, 12:57 PM
One is also able to trade reserve for a trip (with another pilot), which then can be traded with the company or other pilots as well.

ZapBrannigan
04-12-2018, 02:17 PM
As you see here (ELITT, blank line, etc) Vocabulary is a little different at this airline. If you’ve worked somewhere else, it can take a bit of getting used to. For example.

1. Board - Your “board” is your schedule. I’m not sure why they call it this. Maybe back at the beginning there was an actual white board with a grease pencil or something. But to this day, they call your schedule your “board”

2. Provo - Catering is called provisioning or “Provo” for short

3. JA - Being junior manned is called being “JAed” (or Junior Assigned, but nobody ever says that.) Except it doesn’t always happen to the junior person. The joke is that it means “Just Available”. If it happens to ground worker it is known as “mando” (mandatory overtime)

4. TFP - Trips for Pay. TFP is used as a multiplier. Each flight is assigned a certain number of TFP based on a formula written by a Tibetan monk as he drank butterfly nectar at the peak of the highest mountain. Anyway, just multiply the number of TFP times your pay rate to figure out what you’ve been paid. The formula is weird because longer legs pay more per hour than shorter legs. Converting it gives me a headache. (1.15 comes close)

4. Ops Agent / Customer Service - At this airline the person at the counter deals with customers. The ops agent stands by the podium at the top of the jetway. They handle boarding and enter the bags, pax, etc into the weight and balance program. They wear sneakers because putting another computer at the bottom of the jetway would be expensive. These folks go up and down the jetway a lot!

5. AMer/ PMer - a pilot who prefers AM trips is an AMer. A PMer prefers PM trips. This airline creates very few trips that fly during bankers hours. You either enjoy getting up at oh’ dark thirty and flying until 2 or 3pm. Or you enjoy going to work in the early afternoon and flying until you get to the hotel about the time the AM crew is leaving. Either way, you’ll be tired.

6. Texas Two Step - a trip with 4 or 5 legs in and around Texas

7. Herb Time - Central Time

8. Board - Remember when I said that your Board is your schedule? It also means “committee” here. Like “Pilot Hiring Board” or “Crew Accommodations Board”. I am not sure why.

9. Distance Learning: is called DL

10. Remember when I said your schedule is a “Board” and a committee is a “Board”? Well, guess what they call the SWAPA equivalent of what was the MEC at your ALPA carrier? You guessed it! The Board!

I’m sure there are a lot of other unique terms and acronyms. Please help me to fill out the list.

Warhawg01
04-12-2018, 02:31 PM
ELITT: Enhanced Line Improvement Trip Trade. Trading trips with the company. Opens the 25th of each month for the following month. Depending on base and your needs, if you miss this by 15 minutes, donít bother.

TTGA: Trip Trade / Give Away. Trade trips and reserves with other pilots. Not senior enough to get premium open time? Donít bid straight, go here and help a brother out in the process.

ď5 and 20Ē: the days of the month we get paid. Also the answer to the question ďwhy does SWA do it *that* way?!Ē

Squallrider
04-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Great info thanks

TexasFlight
04-12-2018, 07:54 PM
As you see here (ELITT, blank line, etc) Vocabulary is a little different at this airline. If youíve worked somewhere else, it can take a bit of getting used to. For example.

1. Board - Your ďboardĒ is your schedule. Iím not sure why they call it this. Maybe back at the beginning there was an actual white board with a grease pencil or something. But to this day, they call your schedule your ďboardĒ

2. Provo - Catering is called provisioning or ďProvoĒ for short

3. JA - Being junior manned is called being ďJAedĒ (or Junior Assigned, but nobody ever says that.) Except it doesnít always happen to the junior person. The joke is that it means ďJust AvailableĒ. If it happens to ground worker it is known as ďmandoĒ (mandatory overtime)

4. TFP - Trips for Pay. TFP is used as a multiplier. Each flight is assigned a certain number of TFP based on a formula written by a Tibetan monk as he drank butterfly nectar at the peak of the highest mountain. Anyway, just multiply the number of TFP times your pay rate to figure out what youíve been paid. The formula is weird because longer legs pay more per hour than shorter legs. Converting it gives me a headache. (1.15 comes close)

4. Ops Agent / Customer Service - At this airline the person at the counter deals with customers. The ops agent stands by the podium at the top of the jetway. They handle boarding and enter the bags, pax, etc into the weight and balance program. They wear sneakers because putting another computer at the bottom of the jetway would be expensive. These folks go up and down the jetway a lot!

5. AMer/ PMer - a pilot who prefers AM trips is an AMer. A PMer prefers PM trips. This airline creates very few trips that fly during bankers hours. You either enjoy getting up at ohí dark thirty and flying until 2 or 3pm. Or you enjoy going to work in the early afternoon and flying until you get to the hotel about the time the AM crew is leaving. Either way, youíll be tired.

6. Texas Two Step - a trip with 4 or 5 legs in and around Texas

7. Herb Time - Central Time

8. Board - Remember when I said that your Board is your schedule? It also means ďcommitteeĒ here. Like ďPilot Hiring BoardĒ or ďCrew Accommodations BoardĒ. I am not sure why.

9. Distance Learning: is called DL

10. Remember when I said your schedule is a ďBoardĒ and a committee is a ďBoardĒ? Well, guess what they call the SWAPA equivalent of what was the MEC at your ALPA carrier? You guessed it! The Board!

Iím sure there are a lot of other unique terms and acronyms. Please help me to fill out the list.

Great post, and if youre coming from a more ďtraditionalĒ airline it takes some getting used to. But its really not a big deal, you figure it all out in due time. However, After 2+ years the only thing that makes me roll my eyes anymore is the ďHerb TimeĒ folks who absolutely, positively refuse to recognize any other time zone in the world. Im Houston based and there are a lot of them. We will be in Hawaii next year and I guaran-damn-tee you there will be Pilots there using Herb time for the vans.

Warhawg01
04-12-2018, 09:27 PM
I came from a mil background where we lived and breathed Zulu time, and I think Herb Time is stupid. Zulu works when *everyone* else uses it. Only schedulers use Herb. Not hotel folks. Not van drivers. Just schedulers and stubborn pilots.

at6d
04-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Yep. Had about a six minute observation of some four-digit Dallas gals solving the Herb Time van pickup the other night.

Warhawg01
04-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Indeed. I can change the hour hand on my watch to local faster than they can do that math.

Squallrider
04-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Whatís tfp for training?

WHACKMASTER
04-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Yep. Had about a six minute observation of some four-digit Dallas gals solving the Herb Time van pickup the other night.

Ridiculous.....

e6bpilot
04-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Whatís tfp for training?

Min guarantee. It depends on the month but assume 87tfp x whatever new hire pay is these days. No perdiem (you used to be able to deduct that on taxes, not so much anymore), no uniforms, no parking.

e6bpilot
04-14-2018, 12:13 PM
Great post, and if youre coming from a more ďtraditionalĒ airline it takes some getting used to. But its really not a big deal, you figure it all out in due time. However, After 2+ years the only thing that makes me roll my eyes anymore is the ďHerb TimeĒ folks who absolutely, positively refuse to recognize any other time zone in the world. Im Houston based and there are a lot of them. We will be in Hawaii next year and I guaran-damn-tee you there will be Pilots there using Herb time for the vans.

I agree it is maddening. I could maybe get it if literally every person didnít own a cell phone that automatically set itself to the local time.
My standard response to ďwhat is that in Herb time?Ē Is that I donít know and I am bad at math. Both true.
My favorite is when you are in MSP, right next to I-35 which runs north/south right by Love field, and the captain asks you what time the van is in Herb time. Because only Texas uses the central time zone apparently.

MudhammedCJ
04-14-2018, 03:04 PM
I'm going to continue using Herb time because some of you are so butthurt about it. Ever have your phone not update time correctly? I have. So I stay on central. Normally I keep it to myself, but if you want to act all superior and roll your eyes, I'll give you herb time when we roll into the hotel in Hawaii. Sleep tight princess.

Funny watching you all grovel for the job then the following year you are too cool for school.

e6bpilot
04-14-2018, 03:28 PM
I'm going to continue using Herb time because some of you are so butthurt about it. Ever have your phone not update time correctly? I have. So I stay on central. Normally I keep it to myself, but if you want to act all superior and roll your eyes, I'll give you herb time when we roll into the hotel in Hawaii. Sleep tight princess.

Funny watching you all grovel for the job then the following year you are too cool for school.

No. My phone has always updated correctly. Like every time for the last 10 years or however long I have been using it. But you keep doing Herb time because culture. Set the FO clock and all the hotel alarm clocks to it also.

https://media.giphy.com/media/F0EvqHPlBEQTK/200.gif

MudhammedCJ
04-14-2018, 03:50 PM
No. My phone has always updated correctly. Like every time for the last 10 years or however long I have been using it. But you keep doing Herb time because culture. Set the FO clock and all the hotel alarm clocks to it also.

https://media.giphy.com/media/F0EvqHPlBEQTK/200.gif
Ya. Culture. That exists.

TexasFlight
04-14-2018, 05:45 PM

Fly it like a 200!

WHACKMASTER
04-14-2018, 07:12 PM

Mods, can you FINALLY add the ďfacepalmĒ to the list of available emoticons on this forum?

Swingline78
04-14-2018, 08:13 PM

You know what's great about this place? People derailing helpful threads to be an as$hole. We going to start the mil vs civil war now? This is why we can't have nice things.

Squallrider
04-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Any added perks like cellphone plan discounts etc? I know digging a little but like to know what I can get cheaper ha

ZapBrannigan
04-15-2018, 03:27 PM
SWAG points. Every month that you have perfect attendance they give you a few thousand ďSWAG pointsĒ. You can bank those and use them to buy things from an online catalog. A lot of people cash them in for Visa gift cards. Personally I convert them to Rapid Rewards points (the frequent flier program). They give you better than a 1 for 1 conversion. I donít remember the exact number but itís something like 3500 SWAG = 4000 Rapid Rewards. The points accumulate quickly enough that Iíve been able to use the points to buy positive space tickets for my family for family vacations for the last several years with points to spare.

slimothy
04-15-2018, 05:16 PM
Any added perks like cellphone plan discounts etc? I know digging a little but like to know what I can get cheaper ha

24% discount at AT&T. Not sure about other carriers.

utahpilot
04-15-2018, 07:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVps3dF0z0

Squallrider
04-16-2018, 08:33 AM
Whenís the first test in class and what is it on?

flyguy81
04-16-2018, 08:57 AM

The checkride? Really no tests to speak of.

Warhawg01
04-16-2018, 08:58 AM
About 2-3 weeks in. The oral exam for your 737 Type rating. If you already have one, then more days off.

flensr
04-16-2018, 12:59 PM

There's a discount at sprint, not sure exactly how much but it's in the vicinity of 25%.

RJSAviator76
04-16-2018, 01:31 PM

The night before your class actually starts, and the subject is your liver.

Squallrider
04-16-2018, 02:49 PM
The night before your class actually starts, and the subject is your liver.

Lol no no Iím bringing the mrs to the dinner I have to show her training will not be fun... at all...

Sqwk7700
04-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Lol no no Iím bringing the mrs to the dinner I have to show her training will not be fun... at all...

Good luck with that.

Squallrider
04-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Good luck with that.

Iíve never had a bad experience with training but I def think itís more work than fun, would love to proven wrong ha

slimothy
04-16-2018, 03:49 PM
Iíve never had a bad experience with training but I def think itís more work than fun, would love to proven wrong ha

Iím in the thick of it, and there is plenty of both!

Smooth at FL450
04-17-2018, 07:38 AM
Good luck with that.

My wife got tired of hearing about all the deck parties at some point...lol! ďDonít you need to study?Ē was her comment, or something to that effect

flyinglizard
05-22-2019, 11:29 PM
I start training soon and due to unfortunate events, I'm a single parent of my pets now. I likely won't have time to arrange for alternate plans. Has anyone rented a place near the airport and stayed there, for whatever reasons. Looking at places online that allow pets and there are options. Not cheap options, but furry kid happiness matters <3

Obviously, I'd love to stay at the hotel, but staying close and joining for studying and other events may be necessary. Just wondering if anyone has done similar.

ZapBrannigan
05-23-2019, 03:11 AM
I start training soon and due to unfortunate events, I'm a single parent of my pets now. I likely won't have time to arrange for alternate plans. Has anyone rented a place near the airport and stayed there, for whatever reasons. Looking at places online that allow pets and there are options. Not cheap options, but furry kid happiness matters <3

Obviously, I'd love to stay at the hotel, but staying close and joining for studying and other events may be necessary. Just wondering if anyone has done similar.

Paradise for Paws, over by DFW airport offers airline employee discounts on boarding. There are also several Camp Bow Wows in the area.

If you really get in a bind I live in Grapevine and might be able to foster your dog while youíre in training.

That may end up being your best bet now that I think about it. Find a Dallas based employee who would be willing to host your pets while you stay at the hotel and do what needs to be done. Families helping other families is what makes this place special.

WHACKMASTER
05-23-2019, 08:23 AM
Pet Resort Dallas
2737 W Mockingbird Ln
Dallas, TX 75235

Itís literally on the southeast corner of the Love airport. Five minute walk from the Doubletree where you might be staying for your training. Itís between that hotel and the training center.

Read their reviews on Yelp. They had excellent reviews but the last several are pretty scathing.

harrier1231
05-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Paradise for Paws, over by DFW airport offers airline employee discounts on boarding. There are also several Camp Bow Wows in the area.

If you really get in a bind I live in Grapevine and might be able to foster your dog while youíre in training.

That may end up being your best bet now that I think about it. Find a Dallas based employee who would be willing to host your pets while you stay at the hotel and do what needs to be done. Families helping other families is what makes this place special.

They are cats, not dogs. So they don't do well with boarding. Especially not for 2 months. That kind of stress can kill a cat. I think my best option is still going to be renting a place and keeping them with me.

JohnDoe
05-24-2019, 03:57 PM
Try the WAG app

moflyer
05-25-2019, 08:13 AM
They are cats, not dogs. So they don't do well with boarding. Especially not for 2 months. That kind of stress can kill a cat. I think my best option is still going to be renting a place and keeping them with me.

I would try to find a cat rescue group in Dallas, and have them help you find a temp foster home. A lot of people in those groups have a house full of cats, and have no problem letting 2 more stay for awhile.

donpizmeov2
05-27-2019, 04:32 PM
What are the training material on pilotcredential? Any help

SkyJunky
05-27-2019, 05:04 PM
What are the training material on pilotcredential? Any help

Can you clarify what you are asking?

donpizmeov2
05-28-2019, 01:21 AM
Can you clarify what you are asking?

The joining email state you have to study the training materials in pilotcredentials ... do you know what is it?

SkyJunky
05-28-2019, 04:43 AM
The joining email state you have to study the training materials in pilotcredentials ... do you know what is it?

Once youíve been accepted by the decision board, your pilot credentials populates with another tab ďPreflight StudyĒ. Youíll have some CBT modules to complete. Apparently one has to complete, and be familiar with these flows and systems before training, as the training curriculum does not allow time for these modules to be completed once started at the school house.

Does that answer your question?

donpizmeov2
05-28-2019, 06:01 AM
Once youíve been accepted by the decision board, your pilot credentials populates with another tab ďPreflight StudyĒ. Youíll have some CBT modules to complete. Apparently one has to complete, and be familiar with these flows and systems before training, as the training curriculum does not allow time for these modules to be completed once started at the school house.

Yes and Thank you. Please check your pm

Peacock
05-28-2019, 09:18 AM

We had to complete the modules again during training so it was kind of a waste of time. My info is about two years old though, and itís probably a good idea to still do them.

4V14T0R
05-28-2019, 09:49 AM
We had to complete the modules again during training so it was kind of a waste of time. My info is about two years old though, and itís probably a good idea to still do them.

Apparently they are trying to shorten training by a few days. The recent new hire webinar was mentioning how we wouldnít have the usual time in training to do those CBTs.

Zard
05-28-2019, 10:16 PM
Apparently they are trying to shorten training by a few days. The recent new hire webinar was mentioning how we wouldnít have the usual time in training to do those CBTs.

Maybe they could ditch FLY day and save one there.

e6bpilot
05-28-2019, 10:20 PM

Amen. What a waste of time.

flyguy81
05-28-2019, 10:26 PM
Amen. What a waste of time.

Itís worse when youíre hungover.

e6bpilot
05-28-2019, 10:45 PM

They should hand every pilot who attends a flask of Wild Turkey just to make it through that trash. It was my new hire class and like 5 HQ people. The HQ people were all super into the whole thing and chanting and dancing. The pilots looked like they were going through SERE training.
Colleen came and gave us all hugs and told stories, which was the only cool part of the entire thing. Oh, and it ended with a deck party with free booze and food. Our instructor tried to get us in the front of the food line since we were all new and some troll from HQ yelled at us and said something about entitled pilots.
So yeah, pretty much a day of my life I would rather have back.

flensr
05-28-2019, 11:29 PM

They could also cut out a couple of sims and rely on IOE to weed out those who can't cut it. They could make it a planned IOE event, tail scrape tuesday for all the guys who needed a few more sims. Seems to work for a handful of other "low cost" outfits...

flyguy81
05-29-2019, 01:18 AM
They should hand every pilot who attends a flask of Wild Turkey just to make it through that trash. It was my new hire class and like 5 HQ people. The HQ people were all super into the whole thing and chanting and dancing. The pilots looked like they were going through SERE training.
Colleen came and gave us all hugs and told stories, which was the only cool part of the entire thing. Oh, and it ended with a deck party with free booze and food. Our instructor tried to get us in the front of the food line since we were all new and some troll from HQ yelled at us and said something about entitled pilots.
So yeah, pretty much a day of my life I would rather have back.

Lol. The class after us started that Mon due to holidays. So their welcome party was the night before. We all showed up late wearing sunglasses and dragging ass. Room was full of rampers, etc. Lady in charge said, ďhey, the pilots are finally here. We can get started.Ē

I donít remember much other than we hit the deck party hard afterwards.

WHACKMASTER
05-29-2019, 01:18 AM
Fly Day?! Holy ^#+% donít even get me started.....

4V14T0R
05-29-2019, 04:43 AM

Whatís FLY day?

ROFF
05-29-2019, 05:30 AM
I would have rather spent the day on a rack so my Karbon jacket would fit.

Total torture.

(Except the Colleen part)

ZapBrannigan
05-29-2019, 08:30 AM
When it comes to quirky company culture it helps to remember, it can always be worse. At least you donít have to do a company cheer every morning before you go back to stocking spandex pants with an eagle on the tush.

https://youtu.be/pVJ-NWwVti4

flyguy81
05-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Whatís FLY day?

Company indoc day. Everyone hired goes through it. Prob meant as a team building, RAH-RAH, hug it out day. Iíd rather spend time on other stuff to get home earlier.

Salukidawg
05-29-2019, 09:32 AM
How long has that been going on? They didnít have that back when I got hired.

Zard
05-29-2019, 09:39 AM

Can confirm.

at6d
05-29-2019, 10:19 AM
I did like the rock-paper-scissors playoffs. Is that bad?

Our class was able to test many different scenarios against a hangover, as Iím sure most do. I hope.

torpid0
05-29-2019, 11:35 AM
Southwest training can be described as "4 weeks of training crammed into 8 weeks." Now if I was staying at some crappy hotel, it would have been miserable. The Hilton Anatole...not too bad. Lazy river, nice workout room and cool events that can be crashed with the proper attire.

flyguy81
05-29-2019, 01:07 PM
How long has that been going on? They didnít have that back when I got hired.

Since 2015 at least.....

flyguy81
05-29-2019, 01:08 PM
Southwest training can be described as "4 weeks of training crammed into 8 weeks." Now if I was staying at some crappy hotel, it would have been miserable. The Hilton Anatole...not too bad. Lazy river, nice workout room and cool events that can be crashed with the proper attire.

Sad I missed the Hilton. Definitely wouldíve gotten much less done if I could crash weddings and drink on a lazy river. Lol

CA1900
05-29-2019, 02:08 PM
The Hilton Anatole...not too bad. Lazy river, nice workout room and cool events that can be crashed with the proper attire.

The Dallas Mavericks cheerleader tryouts were happening when I stayed there. It was a great time to get a drink at the lobby bar and... uhhh... "study." :D

Grumpyaviator
05-29-2019, 04:28 PM

NoDrop
05-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Fly day resembles those rallies you see on TV........In Pyongyang.

donpizmeov2
05-29-2019, 04:58 PM
Did you bring your headset for the IOE?

flyguy81
05-29-2019, 05:00 PM
Did you bring your headset for the IOE?

Bring whatever youíd need for a regular trip.

donpizmeov2
05-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Bring whatever youíd need for a regular trip.

IOE is in DAL right after Initial TR ... so you had your nice bose in DAL with you?

Peacock
05-29-2019, 05:53 PM
IOE is in DAL right after Initial TR ... so you had your nice bose in DAL with you?
IOE is not necessarily out of DAL. Mine were DAL trips but the rest of the class had IOE out of pretty much every base.

As for the headset, why wouldnít you bring a headset to fly a plane?

CA1900
05-29-2019, 05:55 PM
Keep in mind the company will supply a Telex 850 to you in training. It's not great, but if you want to save space in your luggage, it's certainly usable for IOE if you happen to go right away out of DAL.

donpizmeov2
05-29-2019, 06:07 PM
Keep in mind the company will supply a Telex 850 to you in training. It's not great, but if you want to save space in your luggage, it's certainly usable for IOE if you happen to go right away out of DAL.
Thanks ... did you use the Telex or yours (bose, dc...which one)?

CA1900
05-29-2019, 07:16 PM
Thanks ... did you use the Telex or yours (bose, dc...which one)?

I detest the Telex headsets (my hears hurt with any of those on-the-ear types), so I used my own, but I didn't bring it with me to training to save space. My IOE didn't start until after I got back home from training, and was out of Oakland, so I had time to bring it from home.

My personal headset is a Clarity Aloft (https://www.clarityaloft.com/products/the-pro-plus-aviation-headset) that I've been using for several years now, and it's the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. Being able to easily pop the headset out of my left ear for pushback/start (when we don't use the intercom), or to talk with a jumpseater/FA up front, is really handy.

WHACKMASTER
05-29-2019, 08:59 PM
Fly day resembles those rallies you see on TV........In Pyongyang.

Truly the best way to describe it. Now imagine being forced to attend this CULTural rally while enduring two months in Mecca to earn a demotion and pay cut. Good times.........NOT.

ShyGuy
05-29-2019, 09:00 PM
Is it true at SWA when at an airport in between flights (eg, doing a turn) that one pilot is required to remain on board? And that only one pilot can go to the terminal to get food?

Burton78
05-29-2019, 09:12 PM
Is it true at SWA when at an airport in between flights (eg, doing a turn) that one pilot is required to remain on board? And that only one pilot can go to the terminal to get food?

It used to be that way and to some extent still is.. Some old school Captains can't let go of the notion that someone needs to babysit the plane. I just kindly remind them that we can both go. What they do with that is their choosing when I head up to the terminal.

donpizmeov2
05-30-2019, 02:50 AM
I detest the Telex headsets (my hears hurt with any of those on-the-ear types), so I used my own, but I didn't bring it with me to training to save space. My IOE didn't start until after I got back home from training, and was out of Oakland, so I had time to bring it from home.

My personal headset is a Clarity Aloft (https://www.clarityaloft.com/products/the-pro-plus-aviation-headset) that I've been using for several years now, and it's the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. Being able to easily pop the headset out of my left ear for pushback/start (when we don't use the intercom), or to talk with a jumpseater/FA up front, is really handy.

Thanks a lot! Did you get a couple of days off in between?

WHACKMASTER
05-30-2019, 06:07 AM

To add to that.....if both of you go then the IRSes have to be turned off and the APU canít be running. Ground air and electric is okay.

Of course, when coming back from an international trip you can leave the aircraft with the APU running to go clear customs.

Makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

RJSAviator76
05-30-2019, 06:34 AM
To add to that.....if both of you go then the IRSes have to be turned off and the APU canít be running. Ground air and electric is okay.

Of course, when coming back from an international trip you can leave the aircraft with the APU running to go clear customs.

Yeah but the plane will self-destruct if left with the APU running during domestic ops. The company only bought the option to avoid the APU self-destruction on international flights. ;)

Squallrider
05-30-2019, 09:17 AM

What if there are no throughs though ?? 🤔

at6d
05-30-2019, 11:43 AM
Whatever the policy is, if I need to walk or get food....Iím gone.

WHACKMASTER
05-30-2019, 01:31 PM
Whatever the policy is, if I need to walk or get food....Iím gone.

Bingo. I love it when my flying partner says, ďDo we have time for food?Ē

I look at them as if they had three heads and ask, ďDo we get crew meals?!Ē

saab2000
05-30-2019, 02:04 PM
Iíve been at SWA almost 2 1/2 years and I still think itís an administrative error and am in disbelief, having taken 16 years and three airlines to get my first and only interview with a major US airline. Iím waiting for them to call and invite me to a meeting with the chief pilot. Oh, and uh, donít forget to bring your badge and iPad.

There are a few weirdos out there but mostly Iím grateful every day I show up and Iíve never once had anyone say we donít have time to grab something. On the contrary, mostly they tell me to go first and theyíll get all the prep done.

Usually Iíll go and then when they leave Iíll fix everything they did wrong with the programming, clearance and PWB! :D

Mostly I still enjoy going to work and the Fly Day was interesting but since I went into training eyes wide open (and with a type rating and time on type) it wasnít ever stressful. Iím surprised at some of the responses here, like people didnít know what airline they were interviewing at.

I learned a long time ago to just cooperate to graduate. Those parties and Fly Day were all part of the process and learning to try to row the boat in the same direction.

flyguy81
05-31-2019, 12:29 AM

Theyíll ask you where you live and try and schedule IOE out of the closest base.

I gave up head clamps 13 years ago. Clarity Aloft FTW.

CA1900
06-02-2019, 12:44 AM
Thanks a lot! Did you get a couple of days off in between?

I did, I had 6 full days off between my flight home from initial training, and my flight to Oakland (my requested base) to start IOE.

donpizmeov2
06-02-2019, 04:51 AM
I did, I had 6 full days off between my flight home from initial training, and my flight to Oakland (my requested base) to start IOE.

Thanks ... well deserved days off after training.

bitatasg
06-02-2019, 06:32 AM
I had less than 2 days off before the start of OE. Thatís right 52 days in Dallas, less than 2 off, then a 6-day OE trip.

Cldsfr79
06-02-2019, 04:41 PM
I had less than 2 days off before the start of OE. Thatís right 52 days in Dallas, less than 2 off, then a 6-day OE trip.

I had 1 day off and then 6 days of IOE. Then 3 off, then back out for 3. I promised my wife I would be home more if I got a job at SWA. Hahaha.....😭. ...and you will work 15-17 days on reserve, not the 12-13 days that is quoted out there.

flyguy81
06-02-2019, 04:50 PM
I had 1 day off and then 6 days of IOE. Then 3 off, then back out for 3. I promised my wife I would be home more if I got a job at SWA. Hahaha.....😭. ...and you will work 15-17 days on reserve, not the 12-13 days that is quoted out there.

Couple months ago I had 8 days they didnít call me on rsv. Then sked got smart...last couple months was used every day or 1 day unused. Pays good, but odds of working are way higher.

donpizmeov2
06-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Is there a commuters policy in SWA?

WhaleSurfing
06-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Truly the best way to describe it. Now imagine being forced to attend this CULTural rally while enduring two months in Mecca to earn a demotion and pay cut. Good times.........NOT.

Or your poor little Tran could be out of business by now and youíd be on the street. Four plus years and youíre still whining. Get over it.

CA1900
06-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Is there a commuters policy in SWA?

There is. You're protected if you give yourself one SWA flight that arrives at least one hour prior to report time, or two flights on any airline (including SWA) that arrive prior to report time.

WHACKMASTER
06-02-2019, 10:31 PM
Or your poor little Tran could be out of business by now and youíd be on the street. Four plus years and youíre still whining. Get over it.

Find some sand and then go pound it.

at6d
06-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Couple months ago I had 8 days they didnít call me on rsv. Then sked got smart...last couple months was used every day or 1 day unused. Pays good, but odds of working are way higher.

Put all your stuff in TTGA as give away and also as trade. Maybe once you change that reserve block to a trip you can build or at least plan a better schedule.

Skyward
06-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Put all your stuff in TTGA as give away and also as trade. Maybe once you change that reserve block to a trip you can build or at least plan a better schedule.

Agree. Iíve done less than 2 months worth of full rsv total since Iíve been here. Put it ALL in TTGA immediately for giveaway or trade, and trade for ANY trip offered. You can always ELITT the trip.

RJSAviator76
06-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Agree. Iíve done less than 2 months worth of full rsv total since Iíve been here. Put it ALL in TTGA immediately for giveaway or trade, and trade for ANY trip offered. You can always ELITT the trip.

I just wish SWAPA would drive the point and the new hires approach our contract as the Bible in how to maximize their career at Southwest Airlines. Probie to Pro videos are a good start, but damn... not enough.

Canít tell you how many times I had to explain that trading a reserve block for any trip thatís down the road essentially means getting an admission ticket to ELITT and that they are in no way committed to this trip.

Peacock
06-03-2019, 12:05 PM
I just wish SWAPA would drive the point and the new hires approach our contract as the Bible in how to maximize their career at Southwest Airlines. Probie to Pro videos are a good start, but damn... not enough.

Canít tell you how many times I had to explain that trading a reserve block for any trip thatís down the road essentially means getting an admission ticket to ELITT and that they are in no way committed to this trip.
Also most donít seem to take advantage of monthly open time as a new hire. Pick up a crappy turn or two day that nobody wants. Something below the rig. Then you ELITT it for a bigger trip that pays well. And that new trip will still pay at second year rate.

4V14T0R
06-03-2019, 12:09 PM

Why would you want to give up your trip for a reserveís reserve block, especially as it seems reserved are used quite a bit right now?

Proximity
06-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Why would you want to give up your trip for a reserveís reserve block, especially as it seems reserved are used quite a bit right now?

Well it was a good gig while it lasted. Unfortunately it seems crew scheduling has become much more aggressive to split-to-cover and avoiding paying premium on reserve. What this means is you'll be used, but won't fly much. Interestingly, all this split-to-cover opens up other profitable opportunities.

I to had the experience of messaging pilots to trade for their weekend reserve block and hearing back "I don't want to work Tues-Thu", or "I want a AM trip". Meanwhile ELITT is full of weekend AM trips...:confused:

RJSAviator76
06-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Well it was a good gig while it lasted. Unfortunately it seems crew scheduling has become much more aggressive to split-to-cover and avoiding paying premium on reserve. What this means is you'll be used, but won't fly much. Interestingly, all this split-to-cover opens up other profitable opportunities.

I to had the experience of messaging pilots to trade for their weekend reserve block and hearing back "I don't want to work Tues-Thu", or "I want a AM trip". Meanwhile ELITT is full of weekend AM trips...:confused:

^^* This.

I havenít picked up or traded for reserve in a few months now, but with junky, sub-rig, STCíd trips, it may be worth revisiting as means to pad a check while keeping block low.

But as Prox says.. there are other ways to take advantage of Schedulingís stupidity and idiotic practices. Thatís why I LUV this place!

4V14T0R
06-03-2019, 12:23 PM

To your first point, what sort of opportunities?

To the 2nd point, those guys must not understand what you guys are talking about. I will say, Iíve read through the contract a couple times now and find the wording to be strange and the language for TTGA/ELITT and overlap to be quite confusing. Maybe itís the sort of thing you just have to do to understand.

I also find it strange how little some areas are covered like thereís some sort of gentlemanís agreement. Schedule flexibility is covered in great detail but I couldnít find how and when you get paid, for example.

RJSAviator76
06-03-2019, 12:42 PM

To the 2nd point, those guys must not understand what you guys are talking about. I will say, Iíve read through the contract a couple times now and find the wording to be strange and the language for TTGA/ELITT and overlap to be quite confusing. Maybe itís the sort of thing you just have to do to understand.

I also find it strange how little some areas are covered like thereís some sort of gentlemanís agreement. Schedule flexibility is covered in great detail but I couldnít find how and when you get paid, for example.

Start by reading Chapter 4, section I and Chapter 6, section B.

If your eyes donít glaze over, youíll find most of the answers you need.

NoDrop
06-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Bingo. I love it when my flying partner says, ďDo we have time for food?Ē

I look at them as if they had three heads and ask, ďDo we get crew meals?!Ē

I was just off of IOE and flying with a Houston based high avoidance bid Capt. Had a quick turn in a 300 and he ran up to get something to eat. Came back with a single Big Mac meal, looked at me, and said ďwhen youíre a Captain, you will be able to eat tooĒ.

Proximity
06-03-2019, 01:58 PM

Here's one to consider..when a trip is split and DM is added, you can bid all the split parts and contractually all the overlapping DM will be paid to you. I've seen split trips that pay straight almost what they would pay if they were awarded unsplit at premium.

The contract is okay to refer to, but SWAPA scheduling committee has great articles on how everything works. Start reading the Reporting Point archives starting around 2015/2016.

SkyJunky
06-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Circling back to this topic if the group doesn't mind...

This is a paraphrased excerpt from the email I received from SWA regarding my NH training preparation:

"... You must complete the B737 CBTs system review prior to arriving on property for Day 1 of training. There will not be any class time allotted to system CBTs during the training footprint."

Well received, but does anyone know how much, if at any at all, this actually shortens the footprint? Curious if anybody on here is able to speak to the changes? I hear conflicting info; that no class time exists for the CBTs, but they do allot for self study to complete. So does this actually shorten the footprint at all?

Thx in advance.

hoover
06-03-2019, 04:34 PM
I was just off of IOE and flying with a Houston based high avoidance bid Capt. Had a quick turn in a 300 and he ran up to get something to eat. Came back with a single Big Mac meal, looked at me, and said ďwhen youíre a Captain, you will be able to eat tooĒ.

Wow! I'd look him right in the eye and say I'll be back in 15 or so.

MudhammedCJ
06-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Wow! I'd look him right in the eye and say I'll be back in 15 or so.
Or just leave right after him. Don't need to babysit "the jet" anymore. And el jefe doesn't give you permission to leave. He ain't your boss.

tanker
06-03-2019, 06:00 PM
NoDrop said that he was on his IOE in a -300 so back then it was required for a pilot to babysit and being on his IOE I don't think he would want to confront the CA. In any case what the CA did was crappy definitely not a way to treat a crewmember, let alone someone brand new to the company.

WHACKMASTER
06-03-2019, 06:35 PM

I probably would shoved that Big Mac in his #%|*ing face.

Burton78
06-03-2019, 06:39 PM
I probably would shoved that Big Mac in his #%|*ing face.

Sure you would...

ROFF
06-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Heard the same story from my friend in Europe.

Except it was a Lť Big Mac.
Or maybe it was a Royāl wit cheese.

flyguy81
06-03-2019, 10:11 PM

Nah. Live in base and can hold Tues-Thurs trips if I want. Bid rsv on purpose to get paid to sit at home. Worked great earlier in the year.

Back to bidding a line for summer (Iím not stupid) and rsv again in the fall. If they use me...whatever. If they donít...bonus day off and Iíll pick up extra on days off for extra $.

BigWillyCapt
06-04-2019, 04:26 PM
I can't speak to the current footprint/syllabus, but we (a year ago) had a few days with "Study time" for maybe half the day, allotted for doing the CBT. If they took all that out, it would probably shorten it 2 days. Then the instructors spent half the time showing us the exact same CBT's in class. I'm like, "didn't I just watch this last night?"

sMFer
06-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Find some sand and then go pound it.I imagine you and Todd were just a joy to be around at the Tranny. So glad he chose to quit. He makes Whack look like a nun.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk