Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Hawaii flying

lavService
04-07-2018, 07:23 PM
First off I don't work for Southwest but I do have a question. Second of all my understanding is you have AM and PM schedules with no redeyes. When you start your Hawaii flying are you going to start doing redeye flights? I'm only asking because I don't see a plausible way of getting someone from Hawaii to the east coast without some type of redeye.

WHACKMASTER
04-08-2018, 12:42 AM
First off I don't work for Southwest but I do have a question. Second of all my understanding is you have AM and PM schedules with no redeyes. When you start your Hawaii flying are you going to start doing redeye flights? I'm only asking because I don't see a plausible way of getting someone from Hawaii to the east coast without some type of redeye.

We donít know the answer to that yet as nothing has been officially announced.

David Puddy
04-08-2018, 09:28 AM

I could be wrong but I would expect SWA to eventually add redeyes. Why not? Huge source of additional revenue and airplanes sitting at gates ainít making money. Would suck for crew members but I am surprised SWA still doesnít fly these yet....

Smooth at FL450
04-08-2018, 11:29 AM
I could be wrong but I would expect SWA to eventually add redeyes. Why not? Huge source of additional revenue and airplanes sitting at gates ainít making money. Would suck for crew members but I am surprised SWA still doesnít fly these yet....

Then you may also be surprised to learn that not all flight-planning software was built with the ability to handle red-eyes...I know I was!

e6bpilot
04-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Then you may also be surprised to learn that not all flight-planning software was built with the ability to handle red-eyes...I know I was!

The res system was the original hold up for red eyes. They could do it now if they wanted. The last time our Dear Leader spoke about them he was elusive but said it doesnít make sense in our operation right now.
The AM/PM schedule is pretty much a thing of the past. Our flying day is so long (flights scheduled to block in after 1:30 am and take off at 5) that you need like 2.5 crews to fly that schedule. We have a lot of mid day starts and plane swaps as a result.
As far as what the future holds, who knows? I suspect red eyes will eventually be a thing in limited numbers. The thing is, when you have 750 of the same type of airplane, the need to reposition aircraft during low pax density/revenue hours really isnít that great.
As it is now, there is a huge 10-11pm push out of the mega stations to get airplanes out to the outlying cities to bed the planes down for the night.

Smooth at FL450
04-08-2018, 07:37 PM
The AM/PM schedule is pretty much a thing of the past. Our flying day is so long (flights scheduled to block in after 1:30 am and take off at 5) that you need like 2.5 crews to fly that schedule. We have a lot of mid day starts and plane swaps as a result.

I wonder how long before our AM/PM reserve system will catch up with the flight schedule. How many trips are out there that our reserves aren't legal/available for?

gipple
04-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Weíd have redeyes and concessionary rules right now if Weaks wasnít president of SWAPA.

Peacock
04-09-2018, 04:12 AM
Weíd have redeyes and concessionary rules right now if Weaks wasnít president of SWAPA.

The company can schedule redeyes if they want to, right?

e6bpilot
04-09-2018, 06:02 AM

Yes. It is a conscious choice not to at this point.

Proximity
04-09-2018, 06:18 AM
I wonder how long before our AM/PM reserve system will catch up with the flight schedule. How many trips are out there that our reserves aren't legal/available for?

We really could use 3 reserve shifts. I'm sure right now they cover very early and very late flying with reroutes instead of reserves. I've seen this happen on PM reserve where I time out and then I see the trip covered by a rerouted pilot who's duty started much later then me. Three reserve shifts would cost more money though, hence the reluctance to implement it.

hoover
04-09-2018, 08:54 AM
I could hear the out roar right now if they suggested 3 reserve shifts. Those that don't want to be in reserve would be that much longer.
But you're right not only do we need them, they are coming.

Squallrider
04-09-2018, 10:03 AM
So how junior / senior is lax going to be you guys think? Iím hoping for mdw (asap) curious if people will be moving out west

Lugar
04-09-2018, 10:26 AM
So how junior / senior is lax going to be you guys think? Iím hoping for mdw (asap) curious if people will be moving out west

Very senior at the top, and very junior on the bottom.

gipple
04-09-2018, 02:08 PM

They could, they just wouldnít have a reserve shift to cover it. No doubt the company is taking a wait and see attitude who will eventually replace Weaks. The luxury of time is on their side.

flensr
04-09-2018, 02:11 PM

I saw some numbers in the magazine, somewhere around 100 CAs and 100 FOs currently live in SoCal area. I figure after that first 100, it'll be somewhat junior based on cost of living and the fact that LAX (and associated airports) isn't any easier of a commute than LAS and it's prohibitively expensive to move out there.

Early "best guess" I've heard tossed around by people who have been here a while is it'll go junior by mid-2019.

But that's still just a guess.

ANGFlight81
04-09-2018, 02:12 PM
They could, they just wouldnít have a reserve shift to cover it. No doubt the company is taking a wait and see attitude who will eventually replace Weaks. The luxury of time is on their side.

Am I reading this right? Whatís preventing the company from doing red eyes is our union president?

barabek
04-09-2018, 03:18 PM
I saw some numbers in the magazine, somewhere around 100 CAs and 100 FOs currently live in SoCal area. I figure after that first 100, it'll be somewhat junior based on cost of living and the fact that LAX (and associated airports) isn't any easier of a commute than LAS and it's prohibitively expensive to move out there.

Early "best guess" I've heard tossed around by people who have been here a while is it'll go junior by mid-2019.

I don't think it's gonna go senior at all. I talked to some SoCal locals and they don't get excited to bid LAX at all. There are multiple reason, but one uniform complaint is traffic. If you live in Ontario or closer to SAN for example, it's faster to fly to LAS that fight the traffic to LAX. Also the whole ETOPS thing, extra training every year, reduced flexibility of schedule in a small base, base lock, etc. On top of that, I heard there are some people that own a place in LAS just to pay Nevada taxes while living in SoCal. Those will continue commuting. I predict a lot of new hires and junior captains going there against their will. It's just a subjective prediction of a guy who has been wrong many times before.

flysocal77
04-09-2018, 08:01 PM
It will be our most junior base in short order. The union newsletter says just 38/37 ish capt/foís in the la basin. A few of those have houses in Vegas for tax reasons. I can see the Orange County and Temecula guys driving but doubt San Diego guys will for long. Ballpark 150 pilots will want LAX as a permanent base and I understand it will be a good sized base in a couple years (500+). It will draw from LAS and OAK making them more junior also. Iíve been told OAK will not shrink and will have equal ETOPS pilots as LAX.

btodd77
04-10-2018, 02:08 AM
So would new hires be base locked if they get LAX/OAK out of indoc given the ETOPS training??

flysocal77
04-10-2018, 06:38 AM
So would new hires be base locked if they get LAX/OAK out of indoc given the ETOPS training??

No, if itís involuntary there is no base lock. 6 months if you volunteer so be careful not to volunteer.

btodd77
04-10-2018, 07:18 AM
No, if itís involuntary there is no base lock. 6 months if you volunteer so be careful not to volunteer.

Thank you.

Hawaii808
04-10-2018, 10:28 AM
So would southwest be a good move for a pilot living in Hawaii? Could junior guys most likely get LAX and be doing the Hawaii trips?

EDIT: Asking for a friend.....

PowerShift
04-10-2018, 11:49 AM
So would southwest be a good move for a pilot living in Hawaii? Could junior guys most likely get LAX and be doing the Hawaii trips?

No guarantee that LAX will go junior, but the tea leaves point that way. He would have to commute to LAX, as no Hawaii base has even been speculated. Just my guess, 5 yrs from now, if we are successful in that market, there will be a base there. Doing things from LAX is not efficient, and this place is all about efficiency.

utahpilot
04-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Just my guess, 5 yrs from now, if we are successful in that market, there will be a base there. Doing things from LAX is not efficient, and this place is all about efficiency.

makes me wonder. A buddy at Alaska tells me that Hawaii is 40ish % of their business, and they don't have a base there

RJSAviator76
04-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Alaska doesn't fly interisland. Supposedly, we're also gonna invade the interisland market. Who knows...

THEKERNALKLINK
04-11-2018, 04:43 PM

I have a very decent home there that I love.... I do not want to be slapped with a 13.9% state income tax. IT WON'T HAPPEN!

THEKERNALKLINK
04-11-2018, 04:45 PM
I don't think it's gonna go senior at all. I talked to some SoCal locals and they don't get excited to bid LAX at all. There are multiple reason, but one uniform complaint is traffic. If you live in Ontario or closer to SAN for example, it's faster to fly to LAS that fight the traffic to LAX. Also the whole ETOPS thing, extra training every year, reduced flexibility of schedule in a small base, base lock, etc. On top of that, I heard there are some people that own a place in LAS just to pay Nevada taxes while living in SoCal. Those will continue commuting. I predict a lot of new hires and junior captains going there against their will. It's just a subjective prediction of a guy who has been wrong many times before.

If your base of operations is out of a State, YOU PAY TAXES TO THE STATE THAT BASE IS IN.... I was ****ed when IL hiked up their rate, but it's still close to 1/3 of what CA is.

I mean we would all be claiming TX or NV residency if we could get away with it, but it's illegal!

PowerShift
04-11-2018, 07:36 PM
If your base of operations is out of a State, YOU PAY TAXES TO THE STATE THAT BASE IS IN.... I was ****ed when IL hiked up their rate, but it's still close to 1/3 of what CA is.

I mean we would all be claiming TX or NV residency if we could get away with it, but it's illegal!

That can be state dependent. Iím taxed based on the state I live in, and claim residency in. Not the state in which my base resides.

The IRS and local state tax agencies are on to the ďscamĒ of claiming residence in one state and living in another. There is a classic court case involving a NWA pilot, claiming FL residence and living in MN. Itís an interesting read on how the judge determined residency.

C130driver
04-11-2018, 10:36 PM

Wait..so if you live in Texas and commute to United in SFO you pay Cali Taxes?!

THEKERNALKLINK
04-12-2018, 04:03 AM
That can be state dependent. Iím taxed based on the state I live in, and claim residency in. Not the state in which my base resides.

The IRS and local state tax agencies are on to the ďscamĒ of claiming residence in one state and living in another. There is a classic court case involving a NWA pilot, claiming FL residence and living in MN. Itís an interesting read on how the judge determined residency.

I'm sure your accountant is doing you right. In my situation, I DO own a home in CA, as well as one in the Chicago burbs, and I would never keep my Chicago place now that my folks are gone. So I don't think their is any way to swing avoiding the 13.9% CA income tax rate.

Ahhh, if only her legs (MAX) were a little wee bit, tiny more long... we wouldn't be so tied to needing a CA base to serve Hawaii.

ANGFlight81
04-12-2018, 04:21 AM
I'm sure your accountant is doing you right. In my situation, I DO own a home in CA, as well as one in the Chicago burbs, and I would never keep my Chicago place now that my folks are gone. So I don't think their is any way to swing avoiding the 13.9% CA income tax rate.

Ahhh, if only her legs (MAX) were a little wee bit, tiny more long... we wouldn't be so tied to needing a CA base to serve Hawaii.

Buy a small condo/house in Nevada. Run the numbers will most likely be cheaper than paying California...

Smooth at FL450
04-12-2018, 08:17 AM

Huh? This statement would be correct if you live in the same state as your base, and/or more than 50% of your flying is within that state. By chance are you OAK or MDW based?

Otherwise, tax law seems to state pretty clearly that you owe income tax to the state where you have permanent residence.

FlyGirl727
04-12-2018, 11:36 AM
I hear several years ago some pilots from another airline based in PHL won a legal suite against the IRS. They stated they only worked in the state from the time the reported for work until the left 3,000' which is federal airspace not owned by the state of Pennsylvania or the City of Philadelphia. I don't know how true the story is but you can always become a mail order minister and say your home is a church. All your pay check is deposited to the church account which you draw from for living expenses. Then convince your friends (other pilots) to join your church and give donations to your church which are tax deductible. The church would then buy all members of the church gift cards for gas, food, movies, etc as a show of appreciation for their attendance to his church in the exact amount of their donations.

THEKERNALKLINK
04-12-2018, 06:23 PM
Huh? This statement would be correct if you live in the same state as your base, and/or more than 50% of your flying is within that state. By chance are you OAK or MDW based?

Otherwise, tax law seems to state pretty clearly that you owe income tax to the state where you have permanent residence.

MDW... my fear is that if I had LAX for my base and the state pushed the issue of my residency, then I'd find myself in trouble. If somebody asked me, I'd honestly have to say I'm a CA resident. As I do consider myself a resident of IL right now.

I don't mind paying my fair share. But not that much, it's INSANE. I don't live in a prestigious area, but it is gated, and I have a very respectable 2000 sq ft home on a golf course. You get very far out of that realm, and it's freaking Iraq! Only less safe! But my oh my, the weather, and the absence of smog in southern OC, with it's blue skies and beautiful mountains. I snag a hand full of nights sleeping in my own bed because their are 5 airports that make an Uber ride feasible, depending on the time of day.

I'm not a legal eagle, nor am I the wolf of Wall Street. Such complicated issues give me a headache.

PowerShift
04-12-2018, 10:42 PM
MDW... my fear is that if I had LAX for my base and the state pushed the issue of my residency, then I'd find myself in trouble. If somebody asked me, I'd honestly have to say I'm a CA resident. As I do consider myself a resident of IL right now.

I don't mind paying my fair share. But not that much, it's INSANE. I don't live in a prestigious area, but it is gated, and I have a very respectable 2000 sq ft home on a golf course. You get very far out of that realm, and it's freaking Iraq! Only less safe! But my oh my, the weather, and the absence of smog in southern OC, with it's blue skies and beautiful mountains. I snag a hand full of nights sleeping in my own bed because their are 5 airports that make an Uber ride feasible, depending on the time of day.

I'm not a legal eagle, nor am I the wolf of Wall Street. Such complicated issues give me a headache.

KalifoRnia is a whole different animal when it comes to collecting taxes and their laws are written to get any and all taxes they think they are owed.

iahflyr
04-14-2018, 10:08 PM
I do not want to be slapped with a 13.9% state income tax. IT WON'T HAPPEN!

CA state income tax is really not as bad as some people make it out to be. If you are married, the first $537,500 of your income is taxed at a marginal tax rate of 9.3%. However, California's income tax is highly progressive. The first $105,224 is taxed at an effective tax rate of only 4.4%. That's actually below average for many states. Even if you make 250k a year, your effective tax rate is 7.2% (Before any write-off's) For comparison, 43 out of 50 states charge state income tax, and the average effective state income tax rate is 5%.

State income tax is deductible on your federal taxes if you itemize. So if you're in a ~30% federal tax bracket, you'll get to write-off 30% of that 7.2% you paid in state taxes on your federal tax return. So your effective state tax rate would be 5%. Throw in some other federal write-offs (mortgage interest, charity, etc...), and your true effective state tax rate gets into the mid 4% range, depending on your situation, for making 250k.

California's property tax rate is also significantly lower than other states (Roughly 1% of the home value, and can not increase more than 2% annually). You'll find that owning property in California is also quite profitable.

People get all worked up over CA state income tax, but ~4.5% of your income if you make 250k is a very small price to pay for living in CA. It's worth it for the weather, scenery, things to do, beaches, mountains, wineries, you name it.

Sluggo_63
04-15-2018, 01:10 AM
Buy a small condo/house in Nevada. Run the numbers will most likely be cheaper than paying California...When you say, buy a small condo in NV, I hope you mean to live there, not just for the tax advantages even though you live in CA... MN came after NWA pilots hard a few years back for essentially the same thing. Living in MN, but had a small places in TN/FL/AK. Were claiming that they weren't MN residents.

ZeroTT
04-15-2018, 05:07 AM
Sorry dude - state and local income tax deduction is now capped at $10k/yr for your federal return.

slimothy
04-15-2018, 05:50 AM
Also failed to mention the $0.14/gal gas tax on our already astronomical gas prices, and the ever increasing cost to register vehicles. $450 for my 11 year old truck this year. Up by about $100 from last year.

UALfoLIFE
04-15-2018, 06:05 AM
CA state income tax is really not as bad as some people make it out to be. If you are married, the first $537,500 of your income is taxed at a marginal tax rate of 9.3%. However, California's income tax is highly progressive. The first $105,224 is taxed at an effective tax rate of only 4.4%. That's actually below average for many states. Even if you make 250k a year, your effective tax rate is 7.2% (Before any write-off's) For comparison, 43 out of 50 states charge state income tax, and the average effective state income tax rate is 5%.

State income tax is deductible on your federal taxes if you itemize. So if you're in a ~30% federal tax bracket, you'll get to write-off 30% of that 7.2% you paid in state taxes on your federal tax return. So your effective state tax rate would be 5%. Throw in some other federal write-offs (mortgage interest, charity, etc...), and your true effective state tax rate gets into the mid 4% range, depending on your situation, for making 250k.

California's property tax rate is also significantly lower than other states (Roughly 1% of the home value, and can not increase more than 2% annually). You'll find that owning property in California is also quite profitable.

People get all worked up over CA state income tax, but ~4.5% of your income if you make 250k is a very small price to pay for living in CA. It's worth it for the weather, scenery, things to do, beaches, mountains, wineries, you name it.

Where did you get your info from? Itís all wrong.

UALfoLIFE
04-15-2018, 06:07 AM
Also failed to mention the $0.14/gal gas tax on our already astronomical gas prices, and the ever increasing cost to register vehicles. $450 for my 11 year old truck this year. Up by about $100 from last year.

Try 53 cents per gallon in CA.

Secondly the 13.3% bracket applies to those make more than 1 mil. No SWA pilot is making that on flying alone, nice try lol!

iahflyr
04-15-2018, 06:58 AM

Where did you get your info from? It’s all wrong.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2017-California-Tax-Rates-and-Exemptions.shtml#itr

Scroll down to Schedule Y (Married filing jointly). I think I used the 2016 numbers instead of 2017, but that doesn't make a difference (It actually means you pay slightly less than I quoted above). Care to tell me what you think is so wrong??

Sorry dude - state and local income tax deduction is now capped at $10k/yr for your federal return.
Yes, the GOP tax reform bill raised taxes on a lot of upper middle class taxpayers, especially pilots. I really hope it gets repealed, or they at least increase the SALT deduction above 10k. Whatever happened to the GOP being the party of no double taxation?? I remember when I used to vote for the GOP it was that way. Not anymore apparently.

However, if you make 250K, you have an effective CA state tax rate of 7.2%, that means your CA state income tax is 18k. However if you have any other federal deductions (charity, mortgage interest), it's even less. You can write-off 10k of it on your federal taxes. So maybe your true effective state tax rate goes from mid 4% to ~5%. It's still really not that much. Yes I would vote to lower it slightly, or hope that GOP tax reform is repealed or altered regarding the SALT deduction. But regardless, CA state income tax is not this monstrous thing most people make it out to be.

ANGFlight81
04-15-2018, 07:09 AM
When you say, buy a small condo in NV, I hope you mean to live there, not just for the tax advantages even though you live in CA... MN came after NWA pilots hard a few years back for essentially the same thing. Living in MN, but had a small places in TN/FL/AK. Were claiming that they weren't MN residents.

Obviously. Every state is different but state law dictates that youíre in the state a min amount of days...

RJSAviator76
04-15-2018, 08:07 AM
Personally, I donít care for CA gas prices, CA sales tax, CA property tax, CA real estate prices, the nanny state government policies, CA DMV fees including car registration fees. CA income tax is merely an icing on the cake.

flensr
04-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Obviously. Every state is different but state law dictates that youíre in the state a min amount of days...

CA state law is also based on if you're using/receiving any state benefits normally provided only to residents. Have any kids going to school in CA? If yes, then you need CA drivers license, CA car registration, and pay CA taxes, even if all of your income is derived from activities outside of the state.

Sux but that's what turned up when I researched moving to CA.

CA1900
04-15-2018, 05:51 PM
Whatever happened to the GOP being the party of no double taxation??

It elected Trump as its figurehead, who thinks that "punishing" residents of blue states is more important than anything else.

TerrainTerrain
04-15-2018, 08:49 PM
CA state income tax is really not as bad as some people make it out to be. If you are married

Doesnít matter when you are married because your life is over.

Next question?

Sluggo_63
04-16-2018, 05:37 AM
Far be it for me to stick my hand in anybodyís personal financial chili, but California is ruthless when it comes to tracking down California residents who donít pay California taxes. And just spending x amount of days away doesnít persuade them in the least. Iím a FedEx guy, and Iíve heard all the iterations of the ďIím claiming TN residence (tax-free state) because...Ē you name it. Crash pad, vacation home, mail drop... California has bitten more of these guys than you care to know.

Are you married? Where does your wife live? Have kids? Where do they go to school? Go to church? Whereís the church? Etc., etc.

Not trying to preach, just trying to let you know that having a second home in a tax free state doesnít make you a non-resident of the state where your ďcenter of gravityĒ lies. Donít want to see any more dudes get caught in that trap.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2012/11/08/leaving-california-and-its-taxes-be-careful/#6f4830b84e1a

TroutBum
04-17-2018, 11:10 AM
As someone mentioned above, the State of Minnesota went hard after some NWA pilots who were claiming Alaska, Washington, etc. residency. The end result was some felony convictions -- and everything that comes with that.

http://www.postbulletin.com/pilot-convicted-of-tax-evasion/article_b7441c9e-876c-5830-99b1-f2e0a4deb703.html

torpid0
04-17-2018, 08:09 PM
I own a small little business in CA. Made around 5k gross last year. I missed my $25 corporation business fee by a few weeks. The penalty....$25 + $250 late fee!!! No wonder people don't want to do business in CA.

Lived in CA all my life and have always loved it but Gov. Brown and the coastal elites have pushed me to my breaking point. Will probably move to Nevada or Arizona in the next few years.

PowerShift
04-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Personally, I donít care for CA gas prices, CA sales tax, CA property tax, CA real estate prices, the nanny state government policies, CA DMV fees including car registration fees. CA income tax is merely an icing on the cake.

Right on. I hear people say ďItís not badĒ have never lived anywhere where they are free.

iahflyr
04-20-2018, 06:17 PM
Right on. I hear people say ďItís not badĒ have never lived anywhere where they are free.

Every state gets their money one way or another. I lived in Texas for years, and I donít miss the insanely high property taxes for a junky house. I also donít miss paying a toll every time I drive on a toll road.

In every other profession, people make way more money living in CA. We are in a very unique profession where you make the same amount of money whether you live in BFE, Arkansas, or San Francisco.

shaun3000
04-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Yeah, Iím much prefer my toll-free toll roads. :D

FL370esq
04-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Every state gets their money one way or another. I lived in Texas for years, and I donít miss the insanely high property taxes for a junky house. I also donít miss paying a toll every time I drive on a toll road.

TX?? TX?? TX is a true amateur when compared to NY where you can pay insanely high property taxes, nearly CA-like gas prices, substantial tolls to/from work AND still have "the privilege" of paying 7%+ of your income to NY State. 😁

(and "they" wonder why NY keeps losing congressional seats after every census. Ummm...it ain't just because of the weather).

TimetoClimb
05-03-2018, 10:17 AM
I saw a news segment today that SWA is also planning interisland flights. Any rumors on whether this might result in an HNL base ? As an island boy at the regionals my ears are perked....

e6bpilot
05-03-2018, 11:29 AM
I doubt it. SWA is slow to open pilot bases and usually does it in locations with a lot of flying.
It will be 3 day OAK/LAX trips. Day 1 fly there, maybe one additional leg, short overnight. Day 2 inter island, Smedium overnight 15 hours or so. Day 3, 1-2 short legs and fly home.
There will be enough crews overnighting to absorb scheduling drama.

jetliner1526
05-03-2018, 02:39 PM
I doubt it. SWA is slow to open pilot bases and usually does it in locations with a lot of flying.
It will be 3 day OAK/LAX trips. Day 1 fly there, maybe one additional leg, short overnight. Day 2 inter island, Smedium overnight 15 hours or so. Day 3, 1-2 short legs and fly home.
There will be enough crews overnighting to absorb scheduling drama.

It doesn't look like LAX initially.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-03/southwest-eyes-inter-island-flights-as-next-step-in-hawaii-foray?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=bd&utm_campaign=headline&cmpId=yhoo.headline&yptr=yahoo

"Southwest Airlines Co. intends to offer island-hopping flights within Hawaii after it ramps up service to the state from California, boosting the competitive threat to Hawaiian Airlines.

Inter-island flights will ďeventuallyĒ be added to complement new service from the U.S. mainland, Southwest said in a statement Thursday. The carrier named San Jose, San Diego, Sacramento and Oakland as the first California cities that will get nonstop flights to Hawaii.

The lucrative inter-island market is a mainstay for Hawaiian, which derives about 94 percent of its in-state revenue from the five largest routes in that network. Competition on those flights from Southwest would be ďa fairly significant headwind for Hawaiian,Ē Joseph DeNardi, a Stifel Financial Corp. analyst, has said."

Smokey23
05-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Just because LAX is not one of the HI city pairs (yet), doesn't mean that the LAX-based pilots won't be doing some of the initial HI flights.

...or did I misunderstand your point?

jetliner1526
05-04-2018, 05:25 AM
Just because LAX is not one of the HI city pairs (yet), doesn't mean that the LAX-based pilots won't be doing some of the initial HI flights.

...or did I misunderstand your point?

The pilots can most definitely still do the HI flights. No doubt LAX will eventually have direct flights to HI.

Winston
05-04-2018, 05:39 AM
The carrier named San Jose, San Diego, Sacramento and Oakland as the first California cities that will get nonstop flights to Hawaii.

San Diego to the islands is going to be a little interesting as far as takeoff is concerned. SAN-HNL is further than it is to BOS and ETOPS requires quite a bit of fuel padding at the critical point. Add in a weather alternate and SWAís single class seating and youíve got quite a heavy little piggy trying to get airborne in SANís relatively short and obstacle surrounded runway.

Thereís a reason all the Hawaii flights take off on the 28s in SFO.

WHACKMASTER
05-04-2018, 06:04 AM
San Diego to the islands is going to be a little interesting as far as takeoff is concerned. SAN-HNL is further than it is to BOS and ETOPS requires quite a bit of fuel padding at the critical point. Add in a weather alternate and SWAís single class seating and youíve got quite a heavy little piggy trying to get airborne in SANís relatively short and obstacle surrounded runway.

I donít see it being an issue with the MAX though.

capt707
05-04-2018, 06:14 AM

Doesn't Alaska already have a bunch of flights from SAN to Hawaii? Don't think they have any issues with their 737s?!

WHACKMASTER
05-04-2018, 06:18 AM
Doesn't Alaska already have a bunch of flights from SAN to Hawaii? Don't think they have any issues with their 737s?!

I think they do have some weight issues but theyíre not using MAXes like we will be.

rickair7777
05-04-2018, 06:24 AM

British Airways launches a 74 to LHR out of SAN, I'm sure SWA can make it work with a 73 to HI.

Winston
05-04-2018, 06:36 AM
British Airways launches a 74 to LHR out of SAN, I'm sure SWA can make it work with a 73 to HI.

Isn’t that the one that stops in PHX for gas because it can’t takeoff fully loaded?

e6bpilot
05-04-2018, 07:11 AM
It will be in the Ocho, which does fine in SAN. I have never had a weight issue out of there. People tend to think of the runway as being short, not really sure why. Itís 9400 feet long which is an eternity in the 800.
Not saying there wonít be any issues at all, I just donít think it is going to be a problem on a regular basis.

Swingline78
05-04-2018, 07:32 AM

I've done SAN-HNL in a 700NG. It's not a problem.

HalinTexas
05-04-2018, 10:44 AM
WN has only about 30 -800s ETOPS ready.

No MAXs, anywhere, are ETOPS ready. Not sure when they will be delivered. Wait and see. They will be integrated eventually.

Seeing as LIH is 6500' and OGG is 7000' and warmer than SAN, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Yield won't be stellar, but it's not about CA-HI specifically as it is the CA market as a whole. They all go to HI for a weekend. :D

rickair7777
05-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Isn’t that the one that stops in PHX for gas because it can’t takeoff fully loaded?

They used to, but I don't think they stop now (they had a code-share with cactus, and would pick up pax in PHX back in the day). It's mostly a 777, only occasionally the 74 these days (the triple goes nonstop).

Bucky19
05-11-2018, 03:29 PM

Nope. I am based in Chicago, live in Wisconsin and pay Wisconsin taxes, not Illinois.

4thLevel
05-11-2018, 05:58 PM
No MAXs, anywhere, are ETOPS ready. Not sure when they will be delivered. Wait and see. They will be integrated eventually.

We have several ETOPS ready MAX's already on property. This one delivered Oct 2, 2017.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4719/40594313621_7c67d03a66_b.jpg

HalinTexas
05-12-2018, 02:52 PM
They are equipped. Not certified.

It will happen soon enough, but not initially.

4thLevel
05-13-2018, 08:49 AM
They are equipped. Not certified.

It will happen soon enough, but not initially.

There are MAX's doing ETOPS for many airlines. The aircraft is most definitely is certified. We may not be, but the aircraft is.

BizPilot
05-13-2018, 09:40 AM

Cost of living in Hawaii -

Gallon of milk $8.00
Dozen eggs $7.00

Cheeseburger and fries at Waikiki $24.00 (beverage is extra)

1 bedroom studio apartment $1800/month.

4thLevel
05-13-2018, 09:54 AM

Gallon of milk $8.00
Dozen eggs $7.00

Since the guy is asking for someone already living in Hawaii, and he goes by "Hawaii808", I'm guessing he already knows what a gallon of milk costs. :rolleyes:

To answer the question, no one knows for sure how LAX will shake out when its all said and done - but yes, it's likely a junior guy can hold it and do some HI flying.

HalinTexas
05-15-2018, 09:35 AM
There are MAX's doing ETOPS for many airlines. The aircraft is most definitely is certified. We may not be, but the aircraft is.

Who? Iíd like to hear.

Proximity
05-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Who? I’d like to hear.

Norwegian has to have at-least 120mins, not sure if 180mins is approved yet however.

kingairfun
05-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Norwegian has to have at-least 120mins, not sure if 180mins is approved yet however.

120 will not get you to Hawaii

Proximity
05-15-2018, 01:15 PM
120 will not get you to Hawaii

Yah...many of us have done ETOPS already, we know.

kingairfun
05-15-2018, 07:31 PM
Yah...many of us have done ETOPS already, we know.

then why would anyone give a **** about 120 minute ETOPS?:)

RJSAviator76
05-15-2018, 08:57 PM
then why would anyone give a **** about 120 minute ETOPS?:)

Maybe because ETOPS 120 covers North Atlantic...

Proximity
05-16-2018, 05:29 AM
Maybe because ETOPS 120 covers North Atlantic...

That's a bingo.

I'm sure that the 737MAX will be 180 ETOPS, until then SWA has plenty of 180min 800s too launch HI service. We are still getting 800s, they will be part of the fleet for a long time.

4thLevel
05-16-2018, 05:37 PM
Who? Iíd like to hear.

Norwegian, LOT and Air Canada to name a few.

The MAX received ETOPS certification in September of last year.

https://www.boeing.com/features/2017/09/max-new-routes-09-17.page

*The Boeing 737 MAX 8 is certified for 180-Extended Operations, or ETOPS. This means 737 MAX operators can conduct flights on routes that are three hours from alternate airports.

HalinTexas
05-17-2018, 08:24 AM
Norwegian, LOT and Air Canada to name a few.

The MAX received ETOPS certification in September of last year.

https://www.boeing.com/features/2017/09/max-new-routes-09-17.page

The only one of your suggestions that can be proven is Norwegian. They file for 60 minutes but occasionally get 120. That's probably because they were the first to get the type.

Just because Boeing says it is doesn't make it so. Operators get the certifications. I'll stand by the 180 min ETOPS cert. for the MAX. No doubt it is coming.

4thLevel
05-17-2018, 11:41 AM
The only one of your suggestions that can be proven is Norwegian. They file for 60 minutes but occasionally get 120. That's probably because they were the first to get the type.

Just because Boeing says it is doesn't make it so. Operators get the certifications. I'll stand by the 180 min ETOPS cert. for the MAX. No doubt it is coming.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Proven???? A quote from Boeing, a picture of our ETOPS aircraft and a list of current operators isn't enough for you I guess.

Dude, you're a piece of work. This all stemmed from that completely inaccurate statement of yours - quoted below. A statement you have continued to walk backwards, as I showed information to the contrary.

But I give up, you're 100% right.

Originally Posted by HalinTexas

Yes, absolutely. No MAX's anywhere are ETOPS ready, nor have any been delivered.

Boeing and the airlines that operate them, clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

4thLevel
05-17-2018, 06:02 PM
United is in for a surprise when they find out they - or their MAX's - don't have 180 min ETOPS.

MAXimum Comfort, MAXimum Efficiency United Airlines to Start Boeing 737 MAX 9 Service
New aircraft to initially operate from carrier's Houston and Los Angeles hubs
February 19, 2018

CHICAGO, Feb. 19, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced it has added its newest aircraft type, the Boeing 737 MAX 9, to its domestic flight schedules. The MAX 9 features Boeing's Advanced Technology winglets and fuel efficient engines providing a quieter ride and the ability to fly farther on less fuel.

United expects to begin operating MAX 9 aircraft on June 7, between its hub at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport and five cities. Beginning June 29, United expects to add additional MAX 9 flights from its Houston and Los Angeles hubs including service between Los Angeles and Honolulu.

"The addition of the MAX 9 furthers our efforts to become a more efficient and productive airline. It has better fuel efficiency, lower maintenance costs and does all of this while maximizing customer comfort," said United's Chief Financial Officer Andrew Levy. This year, United will receive 10 new MAX 9 aircraft from Boeing and will continue to add service from its hubs to cities throughout the United States.

https://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getasset.aspx?itemid=73433

Squallrider
05-18-2018, 04:55 AM
Etops class going in school house

MaCrOs
05-18-2018, 06:07 AM

Gallon of milk $8.00
Dozen eggs $7.00

Not at Costco

THEKERNALKLINK
05-28-2018, 03:47 PM

If I wanted to make $250k I'd be flying international for Delta, working 400 hrs per year and spending half of those in the bunk catching up on my beauty sleep, getting in the obligatory landing about once per month. :D

I hope what you are saying is true though, that they don't tax the way the feds do, where the higher percentage is retro to dollar one.

THEKERNALKLINK
05-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Try 53 cents per gallon in CA.

Secondly the 13.3% bracket applies to those make more than 1 mil. No SWA pilot is making that on flying alone, nice try lol!

Even my YUUUUUUGE annual pay earned as a reservist in our glamorous military doesn't push me over that million mark, so I should be OK :p

sailingfun
05-28-2018, 04:18 PM

If you are a 737 CA and believe this is correct tax law you have a real mess to sort out with several tax authorities!

THEKERNALKLINK
05-28-2018, 05:32 PM
If you are a 737 CA and believe this is correct tax law you have a real mess to sort out with several tax authorities!

I meant to say if you live in, AND are based in that state, you will pay taxes there. Like someone said earlier, they live in WI and pay WI taxes even they fly out of Midway in Chicago.

I don't think I can pull off avoiding CA taxes if based there because I have a home there. It's just not kosher. Even a little condo in a tax haven state wouldn't be enough. Like another poster stated, they will look at a lot of things. Where do you go to Church, where do you bank? Where do your kids go to school? In my case I don't have a tribe of midgets to give me away, but their are a lot of other things.

Hell, your gym membership might be what causes you to be found guilty. I can just see myself sitting on the stand getting grilled.

Yet if I legitimately commuted from NV or TX etc... the tables would be turned. I could show documented proof that I was commuting. Their is a paper trail.

Being a commuter has never worked for me. My character is very strict, and if I could not secure a non rev flight by the time I'd have to leave in order to make it driving, then I'd be driving. That whole calling in thing just doesn't sit well with me, it's my responsibility to be at work on time if their is any way I can be. Commuting just leaves one spending half the day at the airport, then having to be fit to fly a full day. I question whether that is even possible, even though thousands do it every day.

Peacock
05-29-2018, 04:21 AM
I meant to say if you live in, AND are based in that state, you will pay taxes there. Like someone said earlier, they live in WI and pay WI taxes even they fly out of Midway in Chicago.

I don't think I can pull off avoiding CA taxes if based there because I have a home there. It's just not kosher. Even a little condo in a tax haven state wouldn't be enough. Like another poster stated, they will look at a lot of things. Where do you go to Church, where do you bank? Where do your kids go to school? In my case I don't have a tribe of midgets to give me away, but their are a lot of other things.

Hell, your gym membership might be what causes you to be found guilty. I can just see myself sitting on the stand getting grilled.

Yet if I legitimately commuted from NV or TX etc... the tables would be turned. I could show documented proof that I was commuting. Their is a paper trail.

Being a commuter has never worked for me. My character is very strict, and if I could not secure a non rev flight by the time I'd have to leave in order to make it driving, then I'd be driving. That whole calling in thing just doesn't sit well with me, it's my responsibility to be at work on time if their is any way I can be. Commuting just leaves one spending half the day at the airport, then having to be fit to fly a full day. I question whether that is even possible, even though thousands do it every day.

There

PRS Guitars
05-29-2018, 07:18 PM
I hope what you are saying is true though, that they don't tax the way the feds do, where the higher percentage is retro to dollar one.

Maybe Iím interpreting what you said here wrong, but when you get in a higher federal bracket, it only applies to the income in that bracket, not ALL of your income below that bracket.

Stitches
05-30-2018, 06:21 AM
You high earner guys in deep blue states do know that the new tax bill is going to limit your ability to offset state taxes by deducting them against your federal return right?

4thLevel
06-04-2018, 12:21 AM
You high earner guys in deep blue states do know that the new tax bill is going to limit your ability to offset state taxes by deducting them against your federal return right?

....and offset by lower federal tax rates.

Cal resident, no kids, 26 yr Capt, Fed tax reduced by 4k next year. State reduced by 2k.

You can't take one snapshot and assume it means a thing.