Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Interviewing

GSM2
04-08-2018, 10:17 AM
Just curious, I interview soon. Can someone provide some insight on what to expect. Also what is the current reserve time in IAH is training backed up still on the 175?

Hhoffman
04-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Just curious, I interview soon. Can someone provide some insight on what to expect. Also what is the current reserve time in IAH is training backed up still on the 175?

Just interviewed late last month. Interview was very straight forward. Friendly Tmaat questions and lots of info on company. Was told expect about 4 months total. Currently little to no res in iah from sources currently flying there.

PerryPilot39
04-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Be careful with believing "4-months."

The early-December e-Jet class is just getting the long-awaited emails about SIM's, and they start late-April or May...that's 6-months from DOH to SIM start...add SIM training, oral exam, checkride, and IOE...and presto, you're at 8-months minimum.

The early-January e-Jet class is just wrapping up Procedures Training. They've been on-site since January 9th, or 91 days, and have trained for a total of 33 days (3 orientation; 10 indoc.; 12 systems; 8 Procedures), or 36%; put another way, they've sat on their rears for 64% (or almost two-thirds) of the time since they've been hired and haven't flown.

There are better choices if you want quality and organized training.

aero77
04-09-2018, 01:28 PM
:confused:Be careful with believing "4-months."

The early-December e-Jet class is just getting the long-awaited emails about SIM's, and they start late-April or May...that's 6-months from DOH to SIM start...add SIM training, oral exam, checkride, and IOE...and presto, you're at 8-months minimum.

The early-January e-Jet class is just wrapping up Procedures Training. They've been on-site since January 9th, or 91 days, and have trained for a total of 33 days (3 orientation; 10 indoc.; 12 systems; 8 Procedures), or 36%; put another way, they've sat on their rears for 64% (or almost two-thirds) of the time since they've been hired and haven't flown.

You have facts and real numbers, so how does someone that goes through Indoc today get told the 4 month timeframe? Why the discrepancy ? :confused:

journey2
04-09-2018, 01:45 PM
:confused:

You have facts and real numbers, so how does someone that goes through Indoc today get told the 4 month timeframe? Why the discrepancy ? :confused:

It IS 4 months for the CRJ, but not for the Ejet. They are mainly hiring Ejet pilots as well.

AFSOCFlyr
04-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Does anyone have any information regarding when they are choosing to interview folks relative to availability dates? I am a transitioning mil guy and would definitely consider Mesa if ATL ends up being junior. However if I'd end up sitting on my butt for 3 months awaiting training it wouldn't be the best life-choice. My avail date is in January. Thanks

PerryPilot39
04-10-2018, 09:34 AM
"You have facts and real numbers, so how does someone that goes through Indoc today get told the 4 month timeframe? Why the discrepancy ?"

Sure, they get told whatever BS the Company is touting at the time to keep the charade alive and the scam going. There are over 200 pilots, either sitting on their duff in Phoenix or lounging at home, waiting, waiting, and waiting, the same promised "4 months" having expired a while ago...

...all while their skills deteriorate, their knowledge fades, and having no direction, no tools, and no support from the Company. Wonderful way to treat new hires, isn't it?

calmwinds
04-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Does anyone have any information regarding when they are choosing to interview folks relative to availability dates? I am a transitioning mil guy and would definitely consider Mesa if ATL ends up being junior. However if I'd end up sitting on my butt for 3 months awaiting training it wouldn't be the best life-choice. My avail date is in January. Thanks

I do not believe ATL will be junior. I donít believe the Ejet program in a situation where I can say you wonít sit for a period of time before training. Reality seems to indicate they are still behind. SkyWest on the CRJ is about the only regional in ATL that would move you along quickly. Endeavor is really backed up too.

Mustang62
04-10-2018, 01:13 PM
I do not believe ATL will be junior. I donít believe the Ejet program in a situation where I can say you wonít sit for a period of time before training. Reality seems to indicate they are still behind. SkyWest on the CRJ is about the only regional in ATL that would move you along quickly. Endeavor is really backed up too.

Endeavor is ďbacked upĒ for an entirely different reason. In fact, they arenít even interviewing at this point. Training there takes 90 days, plus or minus a few, from hire date to IOE completion. So itís not really that similar of a situation with what Mesa is facing.

calmwinds
04-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Endeavor is ďbacked upĒ for an entirely different reason. In fact, they arenít even interviewing at this point. Training there takes 90 days, plus or minus a few, from hire date to IOE completion. So itís not really that similar of a situation with what Mesa is facing.

Everyone flying the Ejet is having scheduling problems due to SIMs. SkyWest is 4 months backed up on the Ejet and isnít paying anyone for the wait (like Mesa).

amcnd
04-10-2018, 03:38 PM
When you say SkyWest is 4 months backed up your talking for the next available Enet class. CRJ is ďcan you start in 2 weeks?Ē Difference is you start Mesa then get jacked around for 6 months. How many leave during that wait??

Mustang62
04-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Everyone flying the Ejet is having scheduling problems due to SIMs. SkyWest is 4 months backed up on the Ejet and isnít paying anyone for the wait (like Mesa).

I have two friends who interviewed with Republic. One last week and one two weeks ago. Both are starting in the April 17th class. I donít think Republic flies anything but EJets.

calmwinds
04-10-2018, 04:27 PM
When you say SkyWest is 4 months backed up your talking for the next available Enet class. CRJ is ďcan you start in 2 weeks?Ē Difference is you start Mesa then get jacked around for 6 months. How many leave during that wait??

CRJ is nearly immediate at SkyWest.

My recommendation is to interview at both Mesa and SkyWest as you get closer. If Mesaís training is moving faster when you are ready, you wonít regret flying the Ejet and waiting for ATL. Otherwise, SkyWestís CRJ program is pretty quick. Do you have your ATP?

calmwinds
04-10-2018, 04:28 PM
I have two friends who interviewed with Republic. One last week and one two weeks ago. Both are starting in the April 17th class. I donít think Republic flies anything but EJets.

He is wanting ATL.

jpso
04-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Be careful with believing "4-months."

They're having people sit in Phoenix for 3 months? Why not head home and come back for the scheduled training?

Bonanzer
04-11-2018, 06:54 AM

No exactly true. Republic had a small bottleneck when all the 145 and Q pilots were transitioning. Current Republic new hire classes are getting done in the standard 6-8 week footprint.

calmwinds
04-11-2018, 06:57 AM
They're having people sit in Phoenix for 3 months? Why not head home and come back for the scheduled training?

They sent people home.

calmwinds
04-11-2018, 07:07 AM
No exactly true. Republic had a small bottleneck when all the 145 and Q pilots were transitioning. Current Republic new hire classes are getting done in the standard 6-8 week footprint.

Then, he should go to Republic if he is wanting to be ATL based? We both know the answer.

Bonanzer
04-11-2018, 08:04 AM
Then, he should go to Republic if he is wanting to be ATL based? We both know the answer.

Nope if he wants atl he should wait for endeavor or go Skywest.

calmwinds
04-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Nope if he wants atl he should wait for endeavor or go Skywest.

And, if he wants the Ejet and ATL? He has already said Endeavor is too slow and I recommended SkyWest given our training issues. You never wait for a regional unless you have a firm job offer.

jpso
04-11-2018, 11:37 AM
They sent people home.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Bonanzer
04-12-2018, 10:19 AM
And, if he wants the Ejet and ATL? He has already said Endeavor is too slow and I recommended SkyWest given our training issues. You never wait for a regional unless you have a firm job offer.

If he wants Ejet atl I would say get over it. I could absolutely never recommend Mesa to anyone. Skywest has significantly better pay and work rules, although falling behind the industry quickly. If itís a short wait I would consider waiting for endeavor if he can. He will make thousands more then the other 2. But no I would not recommend waiting longer then a few months as well.

calmwinds
04-12-2018, 10:56 AM
If he wants Ejet atl I would say get over it. I could absolutely never recommend Mesa to anyone. Skywest has significantly better pay and work rules, although falling behind the industry quickly. If itís a short wait I would consider waiting for endeavor if he can. He will make thousands more then the other 2. But no I would not recommend waiting longer then a few months as well.

Most pilots at Mesa outearn SkyWest. The work rules and health insurance are what sucks.

No Land 3
04-12-2018, 02:25 PM
He is MIL. All he needs is 500 hours of 121 time and Delta will snatch him up. Just take the quickest route to getting your time.

Out Of Trim
04-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Have to agree. If he can get there ... ENDEAVOR ... hands down.

calmwinds
04-12-2018, 04:59 PM
He is MIL. All he needs is 500 hours of 121 time and Delta will snatch him up. Just take the quickest route to getting your time.

I suspect he has made his decision since he isnít checking back. I had asked if he was a MIL pilot. A friend went to Alaska after only 250 hours in the right seat as an ex-MIL pilot.

Mustang62
04-15-2018, 01:17 PM
He is wanting ATL.

What are the odds at this point that you guys will actually open an ATL base? I donít think it looks too good,

calmwinds
04-15-2018, 02:25 PM
What are the odds at this point that you guys will actually open an ATL base? I donít think it looks too good,

Usually, flight schedules, planning for gates, and equipment are set in advance. If it isnít happening, someone should pipe up. It should be pretty easy to tell by looking at United flight schedules out of ATL in June. There is no new equipment involved.

Sennant
04-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Usually, flight schedules, planning for gates, and equipment are set in advance. If it isnít happening, someone should pipe up. It should be pretty easy to tell by looking at United flight schedules out of ATL in June. There is no new equipment involved.

We already fly to ATL on the 175 none of that's changing. Nothing changed with regard to flying when SDF opened. All the overnights just turned into originators for the crews. So trying to read into or out of ATL based on flight schedules won't get you anywhere.

calmwinds
04-15-2018, 03:44 PM
We already fly to ATL on the 175 none of that's changing. Nothing changed with regard to flying when SDF opened. All the overnights just turned into originators for the crews. So trying to read into or out of ATL based on flight schedules won't get you anywhere.

Could be. Then, there shouldnít be a reason not to open ATL.....

Sennant
04-15-2018, 04:14 PM
Could be. Then, there shouldnít be a reason not to open ATL.....

Staffing, or lack there of. Consolidated bases require less pilots. More bases require more pilots.

Until June comes and goes no one knows

calmwinds
04-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Staffing, or lack there of. Consolidated bases require less pilots. More bases require more pilots.

Until June comes and goes no one knows

Supposedly, we have to open another base to fly all the Ejets we have per the United contract. Who knows what the truth is?

The IAD pilots all think it is a slight-of-hand to move more Mesa Ejets into their market.

ilyushin96
04-21-2018, 01:40 PM
90 hours left to hit 1500, thinking of sending an app now. Is it true that I have to wait 3 to 4 months for an interview?

NovemberBravo
04-21-2018, 05:00 PM
90 hours left to hit 1500, thinking of sending an app now. Is it true that I have to wait 3 to 4 months for an interview?

Doubtful just put it in.

journey2
04-21-2018, 05:52 PM

They just had an open house for pilots last week, so they are still interviewing.But I donít know how many they are actually hiring now.

stbloc
04-22-2018, 04:50 PM
They just had an open house for pilots last week, so they are still interviewing.But I donít know how many they are actually hiring now. wait, are you saying that they are not hiring as much as they once were? This is definitely a 180 from the past. I thought they were desperate.

calmwinds
04-22-2018, 05:14 PM
wait, are you saying that they are not hiring as much as they once were? This is definitely a 180 from the past. I thought they were desperate.

Apparently, we are not hiring any Ejet FOís next month. None in the standing bid.

ilyushin96
04-23-2018, 07:43 AM
Apparently, we are not hiring any Ejet FOís next month. None in the standing bid.

What's the reason for that? They wanna clear the clogged training pipeline first before they start hiring again for E-Jet?

calmwinds
04-23-2018, 09:39 AM
What's the reason for that? They wanna clear the clogged training pipeline first before they start hiring again for E-Jet?

That is my starting assumption. Possibly, management knows we are going to lose some Ejet flying and donít want have new hires to contend with.

Sennant
04-23-2018, 10:29 AM
175 FOs only have one place to bid, no need to put out a notice of standing bid. Also doesnít mean hiring has stopped. Reading way to much into this all.

calmwinds
04-23-2018, 11:16 AM
175 FOs only have one place to bid, no need to put out a notice of standing bid. Also doesnít mean hiring has stopped. Reading way to much into this all.

Well, that is good news.... since you are in the know, what is the oldest 175 FO that hasnít hit IOE. Where is the backup in training?

Sennant
04-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Well, that is good news.... since you are in the know, what is the oldest 175 FO that hasnít hit IOE. Where is the backup in training?

Saying that one item on one email doesnít spell doom and gloom doesnít mean I know all of whatís going on in training. Just means Iíve been here way to long and seen stuff like this before.

thornfc6
04-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Take it for what itís worth, but most of not all of my EJET Oct 13th class should be on IOE now, if they didnít quit. (Just an assumption, I havenít stayed in touch with everyone)

flyguy727
05-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Easy jet is about 6 months. From what I hear, December class is just getting in, what's left of them anyways.

ilyushin96
05-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Got a skype interview scheduled on Monday, any tips (except being able to fog a mirror or something lol) guys? Thanks!

nlrfireman
05-25-2018, 04:09 PM
I interviewed in April and actually turned them down for a corporate gig. The corporate guy wound up not leaving and I emailed back last week and asked if my offer was still good. They came back with June 13th class date and I took it. No extra interview or resubmit of an app. Love it!
As far as my OG interview, Aaron Grissum was awesome, represented the company well, all HR questions and no technical, received an offer the next day. If there are any June 13th guys reading this, PM me, lets get started on flows and call outs.

flyguy727
05-26-2018, 01:42 AM
I interviewed in April and actually turned them down for a corporate gig. The corporate guy wound up not leaving and I emailed back last week and asked if my offer was still good. They came back with June 13th class date and I took it. No extra interview or resubmit of an app. Love it!
As far as my OG interview, Aaron Grissum was awesome, represented the company well, all HR questions and no technical, received an offer the next day. If there are any June 13th guys reading this, PM me, lets get started on flows and call outs.

Caution.

6 month wait on E jet, CRJ about 3 to 4.

calmwinds
05-26-2018, 04:19 AM
Caution.

6 month wait on E jet, CRJ about 3 to 4.

Whet is down to 5 months as of this month. Stop posting old information as if you are still at Mesa.

nlrfireman
05-26-2018, 05:03 AM
Whet is down to 5 months as of this month. Stop posting old information as if you are still at Mesa.

Iím good with the wait. Iíll just stay working here and double dip;less time on reserve too.

JestersDead
05-26-2018, 05:49 AM
Can anyone please submit recent interview gouge. It would be much appreciated. ( I'll bake you some cookies.) Also, I would prefer IAD base. Any updates on IAD? Availability, training timeline, reserve, etc.

calmwinds
05-26-2018, 06:17 AM
Iím good with the wait. Iíll just stay working here and double dip;less time on reserve too.

Wrong airline for double dipping on reserve. One friend at SkyWest had to get current in the sim twice in a row while on reserve. Around 200 hours in his first year there.

frankgh
05-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Can anyone please submit recent interview gouge. It would be much appreciated. ( I'll bake you some cookies.) Also, I would prefer IAD base. Any updates on IAD? Availability, training timeline, reserve, etc.

My info is about a year old but I think it is still good. No gouge needed. There were not tech questions. Just be yourself.

AirBear
05-28-2018, 07:28 AM
https://www.aviationinterviews.com/pilotgougedisplay/Mesa-Airlines-41.html