Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Mystikman23
04-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Looking for any tips/tricks/advice on commuting. Specifically, looking to commute from HNL to fly for a west coast based regional. Constraints:

-Live in Hawaii
-Need to build FW time via a regional Rotary Transition Program (Im a military Helo driver)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Aloha!
Mystikman23

VIRotate
04-10-2018, 09:41 PM
FlightStats, Passrider, StaffTraveler will make you excellent at commuting. I know we have a lot of Hawaii commuters here.

poorflyer
04-11-2018, 06:06 AM
Just live in LA for a year and build time quick. I've heard Hawaiin loves anyone with ties to the islands and will pick up those FOs real quick.

Slowhawk
04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
^ this. If youíre from Hawaii and fly at compass, you can end up at Hawaiian surprisingly quick. Apply early and multiple times

FlytheSky
04-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Every single FO I've flown with at Compass who commutes from Hawaii and has been online for more than 6 months either has an interview date, CJO, or class date at Hawaiian. Without exception. If you're coming from Hawaii, I'd recommend Compass since you'd get LAX right out of the gate which is a far easier commute than flying to DTW, ORD, MSP, or ATL from Hawaii.

skruts
04-11-2018, 03:39 PM
As for commuting from Hawaii be prepared to get creative during the busy season. I always had the worst luck with Hawaiian surprisingly. AA got me on in the bus often, UAL has two jumps in the 777 and is always a great ride.

Kalitta has regularly scheduled flights between HNL and LAX that's pretty convenient, they'll even take your order from Denny's from LAX-HNL! Atlas, UPS, and FedEx also have plenty of flights between the two.

I never got stranded, but there were times I had to get creative. Sometimes you may see VX/AS has a wide open flight from OGG or AA has a practically empty bus coming from LIH.

N914FJ
04-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Don't forget we have PHX as a base as well. I think there's a couple flights a day from HNL/OGG-PHX on HA and AA

Mystikman23
04-15-2018, 08:03 PM
Much appreciated everyone! Thanks for the awesome info!

Aviatour
06-23-2019, 02:46 AM
Hi. Sorry for reviving an old thread. Just want to ask/confirm if LAX is the best base for someone commuting from Hawaii.

Also, how many days would someone commuting from Hawaii typically spend at home? Or what would a typical schedule look like?

Thanks in advance.

Machgyver
06-28-2019, 12:44 AM
Hi. Sorry for reviving an old thread. Just want to ask/confirm if LAX is the best base for someone commuting from Hawaii.

Also, how many days would someone commuting from Hawaii typically spend at home? Or what would a typical schedule look like?

Thanks in advance.

The LAX base it definitely what made it for me the closest commute to home with a ton of flights everyday. Never got stuck in LAX If I missed a fly I pretty much made it on the next one.

For the schedule it all depend of your seniority, by the end I was in the top 20 FO's and pretty much got whatever I bid for. I would stash as many work days together as I could so I would get as many days off together. Before I left I was able to get 17-18 days off a month but looking at whats happening at compass right now and the summer flying ramping up it might or might not be the case anymore even for senior FOs.

At the beginning you probably wont have too many choices with most likely min days off. You'll have to work with what you get and commute home when you can. We've all been there.

Work hard get your time come back home it's only temporary

Aviatour
06-28-2019, 04:32 AM
The LAX base it definitely what made it for me the closest commute to home with a ton of flights everyday. Never got stuck in LAX If I missed a fly I pretty much made it on the next one.

For the schedule it all depend of your seniority, by the end I was in the top 20 FO's and pretty much got whatever I bid for. I would stash as many work days together as I could so I would get as many days off together. Before I left I was able to get 17-18 days off a month but looking at whats happening at compass right now and the summer flying ramping up it might or might not be the case anymore even for senior FOs.

At the beginning you probably wont have too many choices with most likely min days off. You'll have to work with what you get and commute home when you can. We've all been there.

Work hard get your time come back home it's only temporary

Thank you for the information. What was it like commuting out of Hawaii? Would you fly to LAX a day before your flight or on the day of the flight itself?

Machgyver
06-28-2019, 10:26 AM
Thank you for the information. What was it like commuting out of Hawaii? Would you fly to LAX a day before your flight or on the day of the flight itself?

I'm not gonna lie commuting 5-6hrs to go to work sucked...but used that as extra motivation lol.
Most of the time yeah I would have to commute the day before, the trips I would get were not starting late enough to leave the day of, and even if you do with the time change you would have to leave super early probably on one of the first flights of the day ( which could be extra stress if the loads are not looking good).

Depending of what my showtime the next day was I would decide what time the day before I would leave.
I've gone on red eyes and go to the pad get some rest if my flight was in the afternoon. if you get on the red eye you pretty much still have the whole day at home before catching your commute

Aviatour
06-28-2019, 03:07 PM
I'm not gonna lie commuting 5-6hrs to go to work sucked...but used that as extra motivation lol.
Most of the time yeah I would have to commute the day before, the trips I would get were not starting late enough to leave the day of, and even if you do with the time change you would have to leave super early probably on one of the first flights of the day ( which could be extra stress if the loads are not looking good).

Depending of what my showtime the next day was I would decide what time the day before I would leave.
I've gone on red eyes and go to the pad get some rest if my flight was in the afternoon. if you get on the red eye you pretty much still have the whole day at home before catching your commute

Really appreciate the info. Itís giving me a better picture of what commuting will be like since itís a new concept to me.

You mentioned pad. Did you get a crashpad? Were the commuter hotels not enough?

TillerTemptress
06-28-2019, 03:18 PM
Really appreciate the info. Itís giving me a better picture of what commuting will be like since itís a new concept to me.

You mentioned pad. Did you get a crashpad? Were the commuter hotels not enough?

So the commuter hotels aren't really enough for a reserve, or potentially a very jr lineholder, particularly if you can't commute in the same day which you can't easily from Hawaii. Once you're a medium level of seniority you prob can get by with just commuter hotels and maybe a crashpad you can pay per night if you really need it.

WillFlyForSpam
06-28-2019, 11:10 PM

Depends on the trips you have. When I was at compass and had the early 5a-7a showtimes I used to cut it really close and come in on the FedEx redeye, brush teeth/put on uniform on the plane, then uber to the terminal in time for show. If FedEx wasnít running that night then Iíd try and take Kalitta the day before and get to the commuter hotel by 11pm. FYI FedEx and Kalitta are probably the only way to commute if you want super nice crews, stress free travel plus free food :).

Coming home the UA flight around 4pm always worked fine for me, never sat up front. Anything later than that Iíd list for Kalitta and be in HNL by 5am. Commuting 5-6 hours each way sucks. Thatís all there is to it. Buuuuuut, If youíre from Hawaii and absolutely have to commute then Compass is the way to go.

Aviatour
07-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Thank you, everyone! Really appreciate the information that has been shared.