Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

P Owed Captain
04-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Sick and tired of the regional life! Our carrier hasn't had a decent amount of reserves in over two years, and that coupled with minimum days off gets really old. I'd love to find a place to go where I can easily get rid of a trip if I desire to. I assume there are at least some out there?

SUX4U
04-11-2018, 10:34 AM
United for awhile was running fat on RSVís in many fleets. Now with Kirby coming in and tweaking the operation, it seems like we are going to transition into a more leaner operation that will survive primarily by loading up the feeding trough for the premium pay piggies to keep the operation running.

Thatís atleast how Iíve interpreted the future staffing plans. Very well could be wrong. In the meantime, Iíve been able to drop several 2 days, an occasional 4 day or at least trade a 4 day for a 2 day.

Al Czervik
04-11-2018, 01:38 PM
United for awhile was running fat on RSVís in many fleets. Now with Kirby coming in and tweaking the operation, it seems like we are going to transition into a more leaner operation that will survive primarily by loading up the feeding trough for the premium pay piggies to keep the operation running.

Thatís atleast how Iíve interpreted the future staffing plans. Very well could be wrong. In the meantime, Iíve been able to drop several 2 days, an occasional 4 day or at least trade a 4 day for a 2 day.

Trust me.. Kirby will make certain premium does not exist.

SUX4U
04-11-2018, 02:24 PM

So how would that work if they staff less reserves and donít offer premium pay? I imagine it would take just one week of no opening pairings getting covered for something to give. But then again, itís greedy pilots we are talking about here. Those that hunt premium pay would probably still pick up straight pay if they knew that was as good as it would get.

Warhawg01
04-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Those that hunt premium pay would probably still pick up straight pay if they knew that was as good as it would get.

Sorry, I must have mis-clicked. I thought I was in the SWA forum.

webecheck
04-11-2018, 03:19 PM

Not buying that. There is no room left in the UA strategy to hire minimally and avoid premium. The already concluded efficiency effort, plus retirements, plus lack of hiring, plus growth strategy.... Just no wiggle room left. 2018 at UA is not 2014 at AA. Only thing left to stop this train is an economic downtown.

Aquaticus
04-12-2018, 04:29 AM
United has been pretty amazing as far as qol goes. Living in base helps and understanding our trading system is a must but I have been able to manipulate my schedule to my liking flying the trips I actually enjoy. I was about ready to give up on this career after almost a decade of what you speak of. It gets better!

ImperialxRat
04-12-2018, 02:13 PM
I don't recommend Alaska to the OP.

P Owed Captain
04-14-2018, 08:30 AM

Thanks for that heads up!

hilltopflyer
04-14-2018, 12:18 PM

Or jetblue. Everything is denied now a days.

Andy
04-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Not buying that. There is no room left in the UA strategy to hire minimally and avoid premium. The already concluded efficiency effort, plus retirements, plus lack of hiring, plus growth strategy.... Just no wiggle room left. 2018 at UA is not 2014 at AA. Only thing left to stop this train is an economic downtown.

UAL's too big to make that blanket statement. Some BESs are very thin on manning and others are fat. In my BES, there's one trip in open time for the rest of the month. I could probably advertise any remaining trip on this month's schedule and it would be picked up in the next 4 hour open time cycle.

MiLa
04-14-2018, 12:35 PM
UAL's too big to make that blanket statement. Some BESs are very thin on manning and others are fat. In my BES, there's one trip in open time for the rest of the month. I could probably advertise any remaining trip on this month's schedule and it would be picked up in the next 4 hour open time cycle.

This.... I went from ORD 737 where you couldnít drop anything to DCA737 where you could almost always drop, with the exception of them figuring out the software changes for the 50 hour rule.... Plus like all things in this industry itís subject to change.

Dolphinflyer
04-14-2018, 01:02 PM
If Kirby was behind the current SOP for premium flying at AAL, no, he'll reduce any premium flying as much as he can. He'll get some pilot hating underling to spend their entire effort to cut it while probably enjoying it too.

And the amazing thing? He'll spend more money to break up trips and move them around than if he just paid premium for the entire trip. It is his definition of success.

Typically they will break up a 3 day trip into 3 or more sequences that end up paying 30+ hours of pay instead of around 24 in premium. There are many far worse examples.

I heard the record was around 60 hours for one turn worth something like 5 hours due to a cascading chain of foxtrot uniforms instead of just paying one of the 5 guys on the premium list 7 hours.

mainlineAF
04-14-2018, 02:05 PM
If Kirby was behind the current SOP for premium flying at AAL, no, he'll reduce any premium flying as much as he can. He'll get some pilot hating underling to spend their entire effort to cut it while probably enjoying it too.

And the amazing thing? He'll spend more money to break up trips and move them around than if he just paid premium for the entire trip. It is his definition of success.

Typically they will break up a 3 day trip into 3 or more sequences that end up paying 30+ hours of pay instead of around 24 in premium. There are many far worse examples.

I heard the record was around 60 hours for one turn worth something like 5 hours due to a cascading chain of foxtrot uniforms instead of just paying one of the 5 guys on the premium list 7 hours.

Yep. The only time i see premium is during an IROP.

SmoothLanderJ
04-14-2018, 02:58 PM
You ain't lying about that!

Deathwish
04-14-2018, 03:18 PM
To the OP, Spirit is a decent carrier as far as reserve staffing and the ability for line holders to drop. Itís worth looking into and possibly posting your question in the Spirit threads.

Cruz5350
04-14-2018, 07:36 PM

Maybe on the 737, Bus side I never fly on reserve.

busdriver12
04-14-2018, 08:51 PM
Sick and tired of the regional life! Our carrier hasn't had a decent amount of reserves in over two years, and that coupled with minimum days off gets really old. I'd love to find a place to go where I can easily get rid of a trip if I desire to. I assume there are at least some out there?

Well, we aren't exactly a legacy, but if you want to go slumming, FedEx is really flexible. Work every day of your life, or drop everything and just get your 3 takeoffs and landings every 90 days if you want. You might not be very proficient, but if you want some time off, it does the trick. Personally, I like to work a lot certain months, and then over the summer work very little.

P Owed Captain
05-22-2018, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the replies this far!

ShyGuy
05-22-2018, 10:21 AM
Fat on reserve?

Yes, one does tend to get fat on reserve when not flying much and just sitting around eating.

:D

symbian simian
05-23-2018, 08:39 PM
NK reserve grid is required to be 75% of days green before trading/dropping starts each month. Iím at 50%, just dropped last 2 weeks of may and June.

coryk
05-24-2018, 09:29 AM
At FedEx, you can probably drop your entire month if you wanted to just based on staffing alone. Easily swap a 4 day for a 3 day, etc etc. Reserves can drop all their days and pick up trips out of OT. A buddy on the 777 has done that since he started here 1.5yrs ago. Itís definitely not like the regionals. :)

ReadyRsv
05-24-2018, 02:58 PM
United is hit or miss. Sitting at the beach right now on reserve. Flew my ass off in feb. last year in feb I flew one round trip.

wilco811
06-02-2018, 05:04 AM
G4 and then bid OAK base reserve. You will have the option to drop every work day if you want to (you can also use sick bank to cover this). You will work once in two months or so even if you don't drop anything.

tomgoodman
06-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Many a pilot has bid to be junior on a high-paying seat, thinking ďcommuting to reserve doesnít look too bad, and Iíll hold a line soon!Ē
Itís a trap. :(

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1