Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Reserve at Southwest

TimesInfinity
04-11-2018, 11:50 AM
I'm hearing that you can sit reserve at almost any base right out of training at SW. Is this true?

flythemuppets
04-11-2018, 12:01 PM
You should be able to hold just about any base immediately out of training except ATL which I think just went down to 13 months. If you're awarded BWI or OAK right away, you should only have to wait a month or two before getting your preferred domicile. On the flip side, your first month after IOE is a line.

cousteau808
04-11-2018, 12:05 PM
How long to a blank line in OAK/LAS/PHX? Hard line?

Do people think LA will go senior/junior?

Smooth at FL450
04-12-2018, 08:23 AM
How long to a blank line in OAK/LAS/PHX? Hard line?

Do people think LA will go senior/junior?

8 months and counting in OAK...

LA junior or senior? Yes...

dash8driver
04-19-2018, 04:40 PM
To be fair, OAK also has a large amount of lines withheld for new hires that get lines their first month after IOE so ďgetting over the humpĒ so to speak might take a little longer there. It looks like blank lines in BWI are averaging about 4-5 months.

Uptair
04-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Denver is at least 3-4 months to get.

Bundee
04-20-2018, 04:22 AM
Denver is at least 3-4 months to get.

What about Dallas?

moflyer
04-20-2018, 05:34 AM
What about Dallas?

It took me one month to hold Dallas.

RiseGuy
04-20-2018, 09:17 AM
What about Dallas?

It seems Dallas is hit or miss...I'm one month in OAK, one month in HOU, and keeping my fingers crossed for DAL for June...we'll see later this month.

shaun3000
04-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Don’t you have something better to be doing? That Ikea furniture ain’t going to put itself together!

TroutBum
04-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Donít you have something better to be doing? That Ikea furniture ainít going to put itself together!

Just pick up a pair of these:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/20/this-robot-can-build-your-ikea-furniture/

Squallrider
04-20-2018, 01:35 PM
If you say a month do you mean from first day of class or being done with ioe? Iím going for mdw asap and I know itís junior

moflyer
04-20-2018, 03:20 PM
If you say a month do you mean from first day of class or being done with ioe? Iím going for mdw asap and I know itís junior

They will usually let you do your IOE in the base you choose. Crew planning will assign you a base to Complete your first month after IOE. Before you leave training you will know what base you will be assigned to, it all depends on where your class falls. The class I was in was one out of three, we were all able to avoid OAK and BWI.

Squallrider
04-20-2018, 04:20 PM
They will usually let you do your IOE in the base you choose. Crew planning will assign you a base to Complete your first month after IOE. Before you leave training you will know what base you will be assigned to, it all depends on where your class falls. The class I was in was one out of three, we were all able to avoid OAK and BWI.

Gotcha Iím in the first class of the month of that makes any difference. Looking forward to it!

Thunder1
04-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Right now on reserve you have a good chance of sitting for 1/3 to 1/2 of the month. We are overmanned on FO's right now while they try and catch up with the Capt upgrades.
Some mid-level and senior guys are trading reserves for their trips and getting paid to sit at home.

donpizmeov2
04-23-2019, 05:14 AM
What is the latest on rvs ... BWI and OAK base? how long before you hold the line? Thanks

e6bpilot
04-23-2019, 06:39 AM
2-3 months right now to hold a blank line that may have some reserve. If hiring goes as planned, that should accelerate. Right now only one new hire class a month. Later this year that is supposed to go back to 2. I would watch the max issue closely to see if that comes to fruition. Problem with those two bases in particular is that they tend to get the bulk of new hires who get a consolidation line their first month. That makes reserve go a few numbers (10-20) senior in those months.
Best of luck.

Cozmo
04-23-2019, 08:29 PM
What time do you have to show up when you are on reserve? Does it vary by base? Or is it just different every day?

flyguy81
04-23-2019, 08:58 PM
What time do you have to show up when you are on reserve? Does it vary by base? Or is it just different every day?

2 hrs after they call you.

CA1900
04-23-2019, 11:45 PM

You have two hours to report if they call you for a trip, but you don't have to show up at all unless you actually get a call to fly. There is no airport or ready reserve for pilots; you need only be phone-contactable during your Reserve Availability Period (RAP). You can work reserve from your home if you live close enough to make the call-out time, or from a hotel if you're a commuter.

Each base has an "AM" and a "PM" RAP. They vary a little bit between the bases, but an AM block is around 3am-5pm, while a PM block is around 10am-Midnight.

donpizmeov2
04-24-2019, 11:01 AM
You have two hours to report if they call you for a trip, but you don't have to show up at all unless you actually get a call to fly. There is no airport or ready reserve for pilots; you need only be phone-contactable during your Reserve Availability Period (RAP). You can work reserve from your home if you live close enough to make the call-out time, or from a hotel if you're a commuter.

Each base has an "AM" and a "PM" RAP. They vary a little bit between the bases, but an AM block is around 3am-5pm, while a PM block is around 10am-Midnight.

How many days of rvs in a raw and how often they call you in BWI? When they call you have to be at the airport or at the airplane in 2 hours? They usually call you and they give you only 2 hours show-up or they usually call you for a 3+ hours?

CA1900
04-24-2019, 12:01 PM
How many days of rvs in a raw

All reserve comes in either 3-day or 4-day blocks, depending on which reserve line you get. Typically you'll see 3 or 4 days off inbetween those reserve blocks.

All schedules, even reserve, have a minimum of 15 days off per month, which is what I'd expect on reserve. So a 31-day month will have 16 days of reserve.

...and how often they call you in BWI?

Reserves are used fairly heavily here. You can put in a preference for "pass," and if there's a guy with a "fly" preference before you, for the same number of reserve days remaining, he'll get called before you will. But overall, expect to fly on the majority of your reserve days.

That said, the bulk of our trips are 3-day trips, so if you get a line with 4-day reserve blocks, there's a pretty good possibility you won't get called out on either the first or last day of the block.

When they call you have to be at the airport or at the airplane in 2 hours? They usually call you and they give you only 2 hours show-up or they usually call you for a 3+ hours?

It's 2 hours to report to the crew lounge, which is another hour prior to departure/pushback time of your flight. So really it's 3 hours from callout to pushback. In my experience on reserve, the callouts were evenly split between being assigned the night before, and right at the 2-hour report time.

donpizmeov2
04-24-2019, 12:12 PM
All reserve comes in either 3-day or 4-day blocks, depending on which reserve line you get. Typically you'll see 3 or 4 days off inbetween those reserve blocks.

All schedules, even reserve, have a minimum of 15 days off per month, which is what I'd expect on reserve. So a 31-day month will have 16 days of reserve.

Reserves are used fairly heavily here. You can put in a preference for "pass," and if there's a guy with a "fly" preference before you, for the same number of reserve days remaining, he'll get called before you will. But overall, expect to fly on the majority of your reserve days.

That said, the bulk of our trips are 3-day trips, so if you get a line with 4-day reserve blocks, there's a pretty good possibility you won't get called out on either the first or last day of the block.

It's 2 hours to report to the crew lounge, which is another hour prior to departure/pushback time of your flight. So really it's 3 hours from callout to pushback. In my experience on reserve, the callouts were evenly split between being assigned the night before, and right at the 2-hour report time.

Thanks CA1900
basically you have to live within 1 and half hours from base till you are reserve

at6d
04-24-2019, 12:16 PM
As long as you can be within a two hour callout from the time your RAP starts, you can commute to reserve.

You can also trade reserve blocks for a trip (with other pilots), you can give away reserve blocks in your domicile and pick up in another, and you can also try and give away your last day of reserve.

Of course, anything you give away is deducted from your monthly trip payout.

donpizmeov2
04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
As long as you can be within a two hour callout from the time your RAP starts, you can commute to reserve.

You can also trade reserve blocks for a trip (with other pilots), you can give away reserve blocks in your domicile and pick up in another, and you can also try and give away your last day of reserve.

Of course, anything you give away is deducted from your monthly trip payout.

That's nice ... so instead of only 3 days off between rsv you can have 6 days off in a raw so you can spend 4 days at home and 2 days commute ... did I understand?

Cozmo
04-24-2019, 12:28 PM

I'm guessing the company doesn't cover the cost of hotels while you're sitting around waiting to get called in. If you're commuting, do you have to budget $1500 per month for hotels? I assume crash pads are cheaper? What do most first year guys do?

Skyward
04-24-2019, 01:28 PM
I'm guessing the company doesn't cover the cost of hotels while you're sitting around waiting to get called in. If you're commuting, do you have to budget $1500 per month for hotels? I assume crash pads are cheaper? What do most first year guys do?

I was able to trade almost all of my reserve for trips when I was a newb. The few times that I had to do a reserve block as a commuter, I would bid to fly. I donít think Iíve ever had to spend more than about $400 a month on hotels. Now that Iím awarded a hard line and can ELITT, I donít need a hotel at all (still a commuter that prefers PM trips)

e6bpilot
04-24-2019, 01:37 PM
Most reserve commuters either get a crash pad or just budget a few hundred a month for hotels. If you have a fly preference, you will almost certainly fly 90 percent of the time.
I had a crash pad in Houston when I was young and eventually decided it wasnít worth the hassle and hazard.
Reserve has been a boondoggle for the last 7 or 8 months but that is coming to a screeching halt here very soon. Even the most ardent pass guys will be flying their butts off.

CA1900
04-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Thanks CA1900
basically you have to live within 1 and half hours from base till you are reserve

You don't have to live in that radius. You just need to be there on your assigned reserve days. I commuted to PM reserve in Oakland for a few months. I'd come down in the morning, drop my bags off in the crew lounge, and either hang out there or take the train into San Francisco, depending on my mood. Towards the late afternoon, if an assignment wasn't looking likely, I'd go check into a hotel for the night.

I had a "fly" preference, and would get used a lot. I had a lot of 4-day reserve blocks, but most of our trips are 3-days, so I often sat on that 4th (or 1st) day of the block. But otherwise I'd fly. I typically had to buy 4 or 5 hotel nights a month, since PM trips often got back after the last commute flight home, but sometimes they got in early enough to get home that night.

If you're commuting, do you have to budget $1500 per month for hotels? I assume crash pads are cheaper?

Yes, crash pads are cheaper, but some bases (like OAK) really don't have them. The hotel I used in OAK was $92/night including tax, and was very commuter-friendly, offering 4pm check-outs and easy cancellations. I budgeted about $500/mo for hotels, and that was pretty accurate. If I had it to do over again, I'd have switched bases to LAS as soon as I could, as the hotels are cheaper and there's a whole lot more to do.

PowerShift
04-24-2019, 11:49 PM
The reserve philosophy has changed at the NOC. Dump them into system on day 1 and keep the reserve out in the system for their whole trip. Double, triple deadheads your last day back to base.

Plan on being gone your entire reserve block.

Squallrider
04-25-2019, 03:58 AM
Reserve here is great, especially living on base (duh).

I choose to bid reserve in the quieter months, in about 9 months Iíve worked 80 days including 3 I held a line. Reserve goes by seniority and utilization to date, so for instance if Iím junior to someone and we both have pass selected, if he/she has been used less than me they will get the call first. This results in a good distribution of flying amongst reserve. You get paid 6 tfp per day of reserve and minimum 6.5 if you get used, so guarantee is usually 90 but I end up with 100 by working a few trips. Thereís no breaking guarantee here, everything extra is over the guarantee.
Lots of people give away reserve days or trade for trips. I even get a trip and then someone takes it before I even get up which is nice.
You work 15 days a month, so typically you have 15-16 off where other carriers have 12 off .
My preference is pass, Iím mdw based and Iíve been holding partial weekends off on reserve since about 6-7 months from joining.
Reserve is good :P

donpizmeov2
04-25-2019, 06:31 AM

I choose to bid reserve in the quieter months, in about 9 months Iíve worked 80 days including 3 I held a line. Reserve goes by seniority and utilization to date, so for instance if Iím junior to someone and we both have pass selected, if he/she has been used less than me they will get the call first. This results in a good distribution of flying amongst reserve. You get paid 6 tfp per day of reserve and minimum 6.5 if you get used, so guarantee is usually 90 but I end up with 100 by working a few trips. Thereís no breaking guarantee here, everything extra is over the guarantee.
Lots of people give away reserve days or trade for trips. I even get a trip and then someone takes it before I even get up which is nice.
You work 15 days a month, so typically you have 15-16 off where other carriers have 12 off .
My preference is pass, Iím mdw based and Iíve been holding partial weekends off on reserve since about 6-7 months from joining.

Thanks mate!

Cozmo
04-25-2019, 06:42 AM

It's obviously a huge advantage to be able to live in base, but that probably won't ever be an option for me, which makes me worry about the choice to go 121. But I like to read, so sitting around for long stretches doesn't bother me. Plus the pay and other benefits are there. Now if I can just get an interview...

Grumpyaviator
04-25-2019, 04:57 PM
It's obviously a huge advantage to be able to live in base, but that probably won't ever be an option for me, which makes me worry about the choice to go 121. But I like to read, so sitting around for long stretches doesn't bother me. Plus the pay and other benefits are there. Now if I can just get an interview...

In six months of reserve I sat 5 days. I put in a fly preference and post all my reserve blocks for trade or give away. I use a hotel instead of a crash pad and the cost works out about the same. It’s a great gig here vs other places.

at6d
04-25-2019, 08:30 PM
I found that $200 a month for a crash pad exceeded the monthly hotel equivalent...so gave it up after about three months. I still commuted on reserve until the six month point and had a solid blank line by then.

Squallrider
04-26-2019, 05:42 AM
If you want to work on reserve you will work because thereís a lot of people on reserve as myself that pass

e6bpilot
04-26-2019, 06:25 AM
Reserve utilization has really flipped over the last month. Almost everyone flies now.

Cozmo
04-26-2019, 10:44 AM
In six months of reserve I sat 5 days. I put in a fly preference and post all my reserve blocks for trade or give away. I use a hotel instead of a crash pad and the cost works out about the same. Itís a great gig here vs other places.

That seems awfully positive for a grumpy aviator. High praise indeed!

Grumpyaviator
04-26-2019, 03:15 PM
that seems awfully positive for a grumpy aviator. High praise indeed!

.........😁

vikeshunter
05-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Great thread, is the reserve utilization still high, especially if you have a preference to fly, even with the max issues? Looking at MDW, how long for a newhire to hold it and be on reserve there? How about LAS? TIA.

PowerShift
05-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Great thread, is the reserve utilization still high, especially if you have a preference to fly, even with the max issues? Looking at MDW, how long for a newhire to hold it and be on reserve there? How about LAS? TIA.

The current usage is almost 100%. It appears that they are dumping reserves every day. I looked a few weeks ago at all 11 bases and there was a total of 3 ďavailableĒ reserves in the entire system. All but three had been assigned.

Timmay
05-12-2019, 09:25 PM

I have a fly preference and have flown every single day I've been on reserve, through a month in BWI, OAK, and now LAS. There hasn't even been any nights in base between reserve trips for me, but I know that's not the case for everybody.

Squallrider
05-13-2019, 04:41 PM

Yup utilization is very
High In summer and in quiet months with fly pref you will fly. In mdw seems majority of reserve live local

AriesLHA
05-14-2019, 07:18 AM
HOU FO who lives in base. I was on reserve last month and worked 9 out of 13 days on reserve with a pass preference.

e6bpilot
05-14-2019, 10:13 AM
Scheduling has caught on to the low reserve utilization. In the last 3 weeks there has been a marked uptick in split to cover and exported trips resulting in near 100 percent utilization. My guess is that they are chasing that metric right now.

79K10
05-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Scheduling has caught on to the low reserve utilization. In the last 3 weeks there has been a marked uptick in split to cover and exported trips resulting in near 100 percent utilization. My guess is that they are chasing that metric right now.

Last three weeks? I feel like they started the split to cover game at the beginning of this year. Iím an 8 year FO who sat reserve in the fall of 2018 and barely got used because of my seniority. I was looking forward to doing the same in Jan and Feb, but I worked 75% of my reserve in those months. Why? Because they would take a trip from whatever base and split and import it to whatever base they had reserves. It is maddening!

e6bpilot
05-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Last three weeks? I feel like they started the split to cover game at the beginning of this year. Iím an 8 year FO who sat reserve in the fall of 2018 and barely got used because of my seniority. I was looking forward to doing the same in Jan and Feb, but I worked 75% of my reserve in those months. Why? Because they would take a trip from whatever base and split and import it to whatever base they had reserves. It is maddening!

Yes I agree. I think they are just having a lot more success as of late due to the uptick in reroutes and cancelations creating a lot more uncovered flying.
I recently flew with a captain who sat the entire month of April, going unused for four consecutive blocks. He said that every time a trip would get assigned, one of the hungry guys who couldnít get a premium trip would snatch it up.
I think the upgrades are finally starting to even things out a bit.

slavetotheman
05-15-2019, 11:32 AM
With all of the captain upgrades that have happened, the CA side of reserve is stacked the way the FO side used to be a year ago. If you bid reserve as an FO now, you will be used. The upside to that though, is it does pay pretty well to be jerked around.

flensr
05-15-2019, 09:05 PM
With all of the captain upgrades that have happened, the CA side of reserve is stacked the way the FO side used to be a year ago. If you bid reserve as an FO now, you will be used. The upside to that though, is it does pay pretty well to be jerked around.

This.

A recent 3 day RES block, got assigned a pretty easy 3-day trip the day prior. Ended up rerouted 3 times which paid over 27. I suppose whether or not that's considered better than sitting around for 18 TFP partly depends on if you're at home or in a hotel room but I'm happy how it worked out.

Kapitanleutnant
05-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Once you sign in for your trip at SWA.. even the most senior pilot at the base... he/she is then essentially on reserve!! None of my previous airlines had this practice in their contract and I personally think we should give each pilot the option or a selection in their bid system if they want to accept "extra flying" above your given line award.

SWA has over 10,000 pilots now... and over 10,000 pilots on reserve! That is how they have the probable lowest number of reserves but highest rate of utilization

Kap

WHACKMASTER
05-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Just under 10,000 pilots actually. 9,803 to be precise but we should break 10K by the end of the year.

Kapitanleutnant
05-19-2019, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the update Whack. I stand corrected!

K

Squallrider
05-20-2019, 04:47 AM
9 times out of 10 when my trip got changed it was beneficial to me. I guess the option would be nice. Maybe Iím just lucky but I always get
Paid a lot more or done earlier

WHACKMASTER
05-20-2019, 05:40 AM
9 times out of 10 when my trip got changed it was beneficial to me. I guess the option would be nice. Maybe Iím just lucky but I always get

Exactly. I actually go to work hoping that my trip gets jacked around. Most $ signs/days worked baby!

WHACKMASTER
05-20-2019, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the update Whack. I stand corrected!

K

No prob. Maybe you were looking at peopleís seniority numbers on CWA. Those numbers havenít been updating since the SLI snapshot of the last ďarranged marriageĒ at SWA. That number wonít take into account retirements since that snapshot.

If you go into ďreportsĒ......Ēsystem seniorityĒ, then that number does. Also, if you havenít tried myseniority.com, you really should. Good website that can show you a lot of good info. That also keeps seniority numbers updated wrt taking out retirements.

e6bpilot
05-20-2019, 06:15 AM
Once you sign in for your trip at SWA.. even the most senior pilot at the base... he/she is then essentially on reserve!! None of my previous airlines had this practice in their contract and I personally think we should give each pilot the option or a selection in their bid system if they want to accept "extra flying" above your given line award.

SWA has over 10,000 pilots now... and over 10,000 pilots on reserve! That is how they have the probable lowest number of reserves but highest rate of utilization

Kap

The whole ďwe are all on reserveĒ thing is true to a point.
Schedule integrity isnít really a thing here. When any pilot can literally cover any flight, that will often happen. I would say I do fly about 90 percent of my schedule, but it does get jacked around quite a bit, and especially recently.
My last trip I flew as scheduled and every flight pretty much blocked in on time. The trip before that? 1/3 overnights went as scheduled and when I checked in there were already changes.

e6bpilot
05-20-2019, 06:16 AM
Exactly. I actually go to work hoping that my trip gets jacked around. Most $ signs/days worked baby!

Exactly! My 26 paying 4 day from 2 weeks ago just got audited at 34tfp. Less block, mo money.

ZapBrannigan
05-20-2019, 09:59 AM

I totally agree EXCEPT when Iím flying an open time award.

If I volunteer to fly extra on a day off, that is not my implied consent to fly an entirely different assignment for one or more of my days off. Any additional flying or additional days on an open time award should be VOLUNTARY.

They artificially influence their own open time system in a negative way because during the summer or around holidays guys think ďI donít want to pick up any extra because they might extend me into... Christmas, July 4th, the family reunionĒ etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proximity
05-20-2019, 11:34 AM
I totally agree EXCEPT when I’m flying an open time award.

The other time you get messed up is when you fly an easy/rigged trip. The computer will try to snatch you up since you can fly some of the extra flying for "free".

The worst was when I flew a short leg from a base to MCI. It's the downtown hotel and a long overnight, which is the reason I grabbed the trip. We pull into the gate at MCI and the timesheet they give us actually doesn't have contact CS on it. Great I think, I've made it. I haven't left the airplane for more then 2 minutes and scheduling is both calling and having me paged over the airport PA. So I check CWA...it's a stupid turn that will take another 7 hours but will only pay about another 1.3 due to the day being so heavily rigged. I turn off my phone and head for the hotel van. When I reach the hotel, the front desks says that CS called and told them I'm not supposed to check in yet and I need to contact them. I try to insist I need to check in, hotel still won't budge. I actually have to call CA at SWAPA and have them intervene so I could get my room key. I got my long MCI overnight and showed up at the airport at the scheduled report time the next day. KTC.

hoover
05-20-2019, 11:46 AM
The other time you get messed up is when you fly an easy/rigged trip. The computer will try to snatch you up since you can fly some of the extra flying for "free".

The worst was when I flew a short leg from a base to MCI. It's the downtown hotel and a long overnight, which is the reason I grabbed the trip. We pull into the gate at MCI and the timesheet they give us actually doesn't have contact CS on it. Great I think, I've made it. I haven't left the airplane for more then 2 minutes and scheduling is both calling and having me paged over the airport PA. So I check CWA...it's a stupid turn that will take another 7 hours but will only pay about another 1.3 due to the day being so heavily rigged. I turn off my phone and head for the hotel van. When I reach the hotel, the front desks says that CS called and told them I'm not supposed to check in yet and I need to contact them. I try to insist I need to check in, hotel still won't budge. I actually have to call CA at SWAPA and have them intervene so I could get my room key. I got my long MCI overnight and showed up at the airport at the scheduled report time the next day. KTC.

Nicely done

Kapitanleutnant
05-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Good Job, Proximity!

K

PS... who to call if it's "after hours" at Swapa for that scenario?

Proximity
05-21-2019, 04:13 AM
Good Job, Proximity!

K

PS... who to call if it's "after hours" at Swapa for that scenario?

Contact Admin is a great resources that is available 24 hours per day for "time-critical" situations.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1