Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : LGA Survival Guide

armyflyer11
04-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Since it appears a LGA domicile is a foregone conclusion, does anyone have any good insight on hotels/crash pads/rooms for rent, places to eat, transportation, etc.? I've been doing a little research, and everything looks pretty expensive...Also, any thoughts on maintaining one's sanity while commuting across the country?

flysooner9
04-11-2018, 02:35 PM
Since it appears a LGA domicile is a foregone conclusion, does anyone have any good insight on hotels/crash pads/rooms for rent, places to eat, transportation, etc.? I've been doing a little research, and everything looks pretty expensive...Also, any thoughts on maintaining one's sanity while commuting across the country?

Find a good book for the commute. Get noise canceling headphones if you donít all ready have them Bose QCís are great.

uavking
04-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Find a good book for the commute. Get noise canceling headphones if you donít all ready have them Bose QCís are great.

IEM like the Shure SE215 are worth a look too. Passive noise cancellation, but they sound better, pack down to a small pocketable pouch, and would be less visible on the subway, etc. They also satisfy the all-important airline pilot metric of being cheaper.

Reach out to the VA subcommittee within the union. They may have an LGA based vet with insight on the area.

Aviatrx
04-12-2018, 04:13 AM
I have heard of some getting by on airb&b/ co. Hotels or ask around the airport about Crashpad. Wi-fi movies on the plane, Netflix, book, sleep. Go to local library and download magazines. For long noisy rides in the back of the plane, I keep my money and shove company provided earplugs into my ears. This takes care of almost all the noises heard in the cabin. For food, I bring some of my own in a cooler bag and get some on the road. Around LGA airport, the old Buccaneer Diner is a pretty solid diner open 24/7. Another good food option is the Jackson Hole diner. At the airport, between B and C gates is Angelineís, where you can get a $5 breakfast sandwich and coffee. For transportation between LGA and JFK I use NYC Airporter(get the app and get the App) or Uber

Pedro4President
04-12-2018, 05:41 AM
If you do end up going the crash pad route then there are ones that will shuttle you to and from the airport. I think they require an hour or two notification. Public transportation to and from Crashpad's can be time consuming with multiple transfers.

Food- the company deli is also very good. They load you up with some good food. Sandwich meat is cut fresh. Pizzas are great. They even have entre style food. Main dish with veggies. It's located before you get to our crew room. You can't miss it.

NoValueAviator
04-12-2018, 06:32 AM
Set aside $1900 a month out of the $1700 you'll be taking home after NY taxes for a luxurious 350 sqft. apartment near the airport and enjoy that living in base good life.

From what I've heard, the key is to fly in to JFK first, then take the NYC Airporter to LGA - somehow even in traffic this is only a 30 minute ride because of a dedicated lane for public transit(?), so that's my plan for now.

highfarfast
04-12-2018, 07:02 AM
Set aside $1900 a month out of the $1700 you'll be taking home after NY taxes for a luxurious 350 sqft. apartment near the airport and enjoy that living in base good life.

From what I've heard, the key is to fly in to JFK first, then take the NYC Airporter to LGA - somehow even in traffic this is only a 30 minute ride because of a dedicated lane for public transit(?), so that's my plan for now.

My experience, traveling from DFW, there were far FAR more flight options getting to LGA than to JFK. But yeah, if commuting to JFK works for you, I liked the lines out of JFK better than the ones out of LGA (JFK lines had more days off).

The combination of more days off with JFK lines and more flight options to LGA had me several times commuting into LGA to take the transporter/Uber to JFK to start a trip, then transporter/Uber back to LGA after the trip to get home.

Itís been several months now since flying New York for me though.

TheRaven
04-12-2018, 07:08 AM

Let me know when you find the dedicated lane for public transit between JFK and LGA........

NoValueAviator
04-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Let me know when you find the dedicated lane for public transit between JFK and LGA........

It seems like you're saying there isn't one in the least useful way possible.

My experience, traveling from DFW, there were far FAR more flight options getting to LGA than to JFK. But yeah, if commuting to JFK works for you, I liked the lines out of JFK better than the ones out of LGA (JFK lines had more days off).

The combination of more days off with JFK lines and more flight options to LGA had me several times commuting into LGA to take the transporter/Uber to JFK to start a trip, then transporter/Uber back to LGA after the trip to get home.

From my city, there are several AA flights direct to JFK daily so I thought that was a revelation. How long did it take you to go between LGA and JFK on average and worst case using the airporter?

highfarfast
04-12-2018, 08:15 AM
It seems like you're saying there isn't one in the least useful way possible.

From my city, there are several AA flights direct to JFK daily so I thought that was a revelation. How long did it take you to go between LGA and JFK on average and worst case using the airporter?

I planned for an hour. It was sometimes less but I donít think it was ever less than 45 for me either way using either Uber or transporter.

Pat2389
04-12-2018, 08:32 AM
Download the TEXTURE app. It has like 80 magazines on it. You can save your favorites and set them to download so they can be read offline. Every week/month a new issue comes out youíve got it. I pay $7/mo.

Pedro4President
04-12-2018, 09:41 AM

I'm debating a base transfer to ny. The combination of holding a line and not being on reserve during crazy insane times is a hard choice. I'm just hoping the rumor of monthly bids is true.

CaptYoda
04-12-2018, 11:01 AM
You will generally have better options flying into KLGA from most hubs.
There are several crash pads available near LGA, and will run you around $300 with about $150 deposit. Most will require a 3 month minimum commitment. Some are within walking distance of the airport (15 minute walk) or about $9 Uber. Crash pads will have anywhere from 4-6 occupants in a room, although it's unlikely that all will be present at any given time. Allow 1 hr from LGA to JFK. There is the NYC Airporter for $16 and if you download their app you get it for $13.

Bruno82
04-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Are there any groceries stores near the crashpads that are in walking distance from LGA?

havick206
04-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Are there any groceries stores near the crashpads that are in walking distance from LGA?

Yah up on Astoria rd, 5 min walk

Bruno82
04-12-2018, 12:34 PM
How difficult and costly is it to get from EWR to LGA?

highfarfast
04-12-2018, 02:16 PM
I'm debating a base transfer to ny. The combination of holding a line and not being on reserve during crazy insane times is a hard choice. I'm just hoping the rumor of monthly bids is true.

Of course everyoneís situation is different. But for me (easy one leg commute to DFW vs long two leg commute through DFW to NY), I would not choose to do that without some version of TDY benefits or displacements benefits.

nemich
04-12-2018, 02:32 PM

Uber is $35-40, I think... Public transit around 2-2,5 hours depending on traffic... You have to go to Manhattan via Airporter + subway + bus or airporter + airporter but still change busses in downtown

MikeTang
04-12-2018, 03:02 PM
Of course everyoneís situation is different. But for me (easy one leg commute to DFW vs long two leg commute through DFW to NY), I would not choose to do that without some version of TDY benefits or displacements benefits.

Are there any benefits for guys displaced? I thought that was only for transferring to a new base?

QuagmireGiggity
04-17-2018, 02:54 PM
7/11/Walgreens maybe some Mom and pop convenience stores. THere's stuff around.

QuagmireGiggity
04-17-2018, 02:56 PM
There is a train that is cheapest. I never did it but it's there. $30 ish for Aeroporter. A lot more for cabs.

JulesWinfield
04-17-2018, 04:21 PM
I am going to get a conversion van, put a bed in the back, and get a gym membership. I'll sleep in the van, wake up in the morning and go workout, shower, and shave, and then use it to Uber during the day.

nimslow
04-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Lyft was usually cheaper than Uber, but plan on between $65-$100 between EWR and LGA, it varies depending on both day of the week, and time of day. You can take the Airporter, but you will have to change busses at the Port Authority bus terminal in midtown, usually around 2-2.5 hours.

You can take the Q70 bus to the Jackson Heights station, and then take the E train to Pen station, or the next stop on the Q70 is the Woodside LIRR station, and then take the LIRR to Pen Station. From Pen, take the NJ transit train to the Newark Airport station, and then take the airtrain to the terminal.

The LIRR to the NJ train will be the fastest. The E train makes 12 or 14 stops, I don't remember exactly. The fastest I've ever made it was from Woodside to EWR in 90 minutes. In traffic, it can take over an hour for the Q70 to get from LGA to the train stations.

LIRR and the NJ transit both have apps, that will let you buy e tickets online, and show the schedules.

EWR is a huge PITA.

Bruno82
04-17-2018, 05:57 PM
Lyft was usually cheaper than Uber, but plan on between $65-$100 between EWR and LGA, it varies depending on both day of the week, and time of day. You can take the Airporter, but you will have to change busses at the Port Authority bus terminal in midtown, usually around 2-2.5 hours.

You can take the Q70 bus to the Jackson Heights station, and then take the E train to Pen station, or the next stop on the Q70 is the Woodside LIRR station, and then take the LIRR to Pen Station. From Pen, take the NJ transit train to the Newark Airport station, and then take the airtrain to the terminal.

The LIRR to the NJ train will be the fastest. The E train makes 12 or 14 stops, I don't remember exactly. The fastest I've ever made it was from Woodside to EWR in 90 minutes. In traffic, it can take over an hour for the Q70 to get from LGA to the train stations.

LIRR and the NJ transit both have apps, that will let you buy e tickets online, and show the schedules.

EWR is a huge PITA.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vapor Lock
04-18-2018, 07:01 PM
I am going to get a conversion van, put a bed in the back, and get a gym membership. I'll sleep in the van, wake up in the morning and go workout, shower, and shave, and then use it to Uber during the day.

^^ this... totally gets it. 🤙

NoValueAviator
04-19-2018, 03:05 AM
^^ this... totally gets it. 🤙

Wait, people are serious about this?

I'd rather die than live like that, lol.

PowderFinger
04-19-2018, 03:43 AM
Not sure it would be allowed now, but years ago (1990?) there was a PAA pilot had a small motor home in the LGA parking lot. Frequently he would be sitting on the roof in a lawn chair in shorts having a beer and would have a big cooler down below stocked full of cold beer for the airport employees getting off work.

I always enjoyed taking the bus or train when I had time ... You never knew what or who you would see on those modes of transportation ... Much less boring than cabs or vans ... I saw Roy Orbison a full 2 years after his reported death on the Q10 going to JFK once. R train was always entertaining as well.

Fun times. ;)

mojo6911
04-19-2018, 05:15 AM

Beats the Kew crashpads I've seen.

highfarfast
04-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Beats the Kew crashpads I've seen.

Yep. If I were in a situation where I needed a crashpad (I'm not), I'd get an old Roadtrek instead as long as airport parking allowed it*. You're own private space and your bed is always very close. If you buy it "used enough", when you get to where you don't need it, you can probably sell it for about what you paid. I see these parked in the north DFW employee lot so I know some people do it in DFW. Don't know about elsewhere.

*And by allowed, I mean a Roadrek would not be suitable for a parking garage due to the height of the vehicle. I don't know how they could ban a vehicle that only takes up a single parking space just because there is a bed in it.

Screw the uber **** though. I got better things to do... like waste time on internet forums making posts on things I'll never have to do. ;-)

Vapor Lock
04-19-2018, 09:45 AM

Juleswinfield and I can Uber for your funeral. lol. Terminal pick up

NoValueAviator
04-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Juleswinfield and I can Uber for your funeral. lol. Terminal pick up

Lmao, implying anyone will come except the Mesa guy I keep running into in Dallas. Everyone else has forgotten I exist as I slip deeper into the low-QOL never home black hole.

Vapor Lock
04-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Lmao, implying anyone will come except the Mesa guy I keep running into in Dallas. Everyone else has forgotten I exist as I slip deeper into the low-QOL never home black hole.

I used to fly for Mesa, if that helps lol