Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Beechnut
04-11-2018, 03:24 PM
We just inherited Jim Sullivan from Great Lakes.

Awesome.

How many 135 guys from crappy companies are running Delta and United?

This place keeps getting better and better.

Bozo the pilot
04-11-2018, 03:31 PM

Awesome.

Hes not going to put anyone elses job in jeopardy- The B6 way:cool:

Rascal
04-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Awesome.

JetBlue might be flying to Europe soon... I wonder what ETOPS experience this guy has ;)

Varsity
04-11-2018, 03:36 PM
JetBlue might be flying to Europe soon... I wonder what ETOPS experience this guy has ;)

He'll want to MEL the autopilots and have you guys hand fly across the atlantic to save mx money.

Softpayman
04-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Awesome.

We just had a guy with a perfect AA pedigree and what did that get us? You want another one like that? Guess youíd feel better licking the boots of an ex-AA chief huh?! Pathetic.

Bozo the pilot
04-11-2018, 03:51 PM
We just had a guy with a perfect AA pedigree and what did that get us? You want another one like that? Guess youíd feel better licking the boots of an ex-AA chief huh?! Pathetic.

The great B6 defender chimes in- Lets hear more about this forward thinking company...;)
Talk about boot-licking

pilotpayne
04-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Iíll take safety vests for 100 Alex.

Softpayman
04-11-2018, 04:02 PM
The great B6 defender chimes in- Lets hear more about this forward thinking company...;)
Talk about boot-licking

Ok then putz, letís get the biggest baddest AA guy we can find. Maybe he can institute airport standby? But at least heíd be from AA!!! Please tell us all what great things our previous VP (from AA) did, so great that we should hope for another one.

Bozo the pilot
04-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Ok then putz, letís get the biggest baddest AA guy we can find. Maybe he can institute airport standby? But at least heíd be from AA!!! Please tell us all what great things our previous VP (from AA) did, so great that we should hope for another one.

ooh putz- what else you got lowmanpay- thats your nickname here right?
What else you gonna defend? Lets get a list of the wonderful things from ya LMP:D

rvr1800
04-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Iíll take safety vests for 100 Alex.

New guy should eliminate that requirement. Heíll be universally loved immediately.

pilotpayne
04-11-2018, 04:26 PM
New guy should eliminate that requirement. Heíll be universally loved immediately.

Ehhh amazingly I just forget it. Itís this stressful lack of a CBA environment I tend to forget stupid policies.

The best was when that captain fell out of the service door (not that part) but there was an email with safety recommendations to avoid that issue in the future and one was to wear the safety vest....smh.

I donít know the guy so Iíll reserve judgment but we have a SWA guy and we had an AA guy and itís not like things got better.

rvr1800
04-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Ehhh amazingly I just forget it. Itís this stressful lack of a CBA environment I tend to forget stupid policies.

The best was when that captain fell out of the service door (not that part) but there was an email with safety recommendations to avoid that issue in the future and one was to wear the safety vest....smh.

I donít know the guy so Iíll reserve judgment but we have a SWA guy and we had an AA guy and itís not like things got better.

Just donít be the guy I saw the other day doing a walk around with no vest, his laptop bag strapped over his shoulder, and talking on his phone. The vest is dumb but thatís even dumber.

aldonite7667
04-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Jim retired early as a line pilot at Frontier before leaving to take a VP position at Surf Air. Apparently that gig didnít work out so he went to Lakes. At Frontier, he was our director of training as well as DO for several years but spent most of his time as a line pilot. He was also our negotiating chairman back in the early days of FAPA. I know Jim personally and he is a good dude!

Thanks for the first hand info!

pilotpayne
04-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Just donít be the guy I saw the other day doing a walk around with no vest, his laptop bag strapped over his shoulder, and talking on his phone. The vest is dumb but thatís even dumber.

There could have been a very good reason to keep his bag with him.
The phone not so much.

rvr1800
04-11-2018, 06:03 PM
There could have been a very good reason to keep his bag with him.
The phone not so much.

Good point

queue
04-11-2018, 06:33 PM
Glad that BJ is hiring real talent.

https://worldairlinenews.com/category/great-lakes-airlines/

Didn't these geniuses use 50+ memory items on the Beech 1900s to weed out the weak swimmers?

This communique is for entertainment purposes only. It does not implicitly or explicitly acknowledge employment with any air carrier nor is any relationship implied. This communique does not represent the opinions or policies of ALPA or JB ALPA and does not represent the collective pilot group, ALPA, nor does it imply collective bargaining, advocacy, or workforce actions intended to disrupt operations.

embraerjetpilot
04-12-2018, 03:27 AM
Even worse, he was frontier before that.

P-3Bubba
04-12-2018, 05:22 AM
Eh whatever. That guy fell out of the service door because of ATC delays. Jim needs to get read in on the ATC problems of Jblue and heíll be ace of the base in no time.

-Bubs

schwa
04-12-2018, 06:15 AM
Is this a bad hire? Surf Air is a west coast startup with a vibe similar to what JetBlue wants to project, especially for its Mint customers, and Frontier operates the Airbus in a manner similar to us, plus he helped bring uniformity to the fleet. Yeah, he was at Lakes, but he came in to see if the company was viable (maybe something similar to Surf Air). Seems like there's good experience there.

Just looked at Delta's VP and SVP of Flight Ops. Their credentials aren't any better. These days, the best hire would probably a non-pilot with some type of data analytics training, which neither ours nor theirs have.

BlueJetDork
04-12-2018, 06:57 AM
We just had a guy with a perfect AA pedigree and what did that get us?
Dive and Drive Approaches removed.

pilotpayne
04-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Dive and Drive Approaches removed.

Now that WAS a good move

CaptCoolHand
04-12-2018, 08:09 AM
We got post Flight walks!

Speedbird2263
04-12-2018, 08:16 AM

Touchť monsieur.

rvr1800
04-12-2018, 08:29 AM

You mean the FOís did. :D

hyperboy
04-12-2018, 08:40 AM

Actually We got Post Flights and we continue to cycle the gear for the CA's too......:D

It's amazing what you can find?......

Tom a Hawk
04-12-2018, 08:41 AM
You mean the FOís did. :D

Iím gonna hack your fit for duty pin. Would you prefer bluglv or bublti?:D

kingair35
04-12-2018, 02:40 PM
This guy is moving from Colorado to New York City for this job.... Iíll give him 1 year.

rvr1800
04-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Iím gonna hack your fit for duty pin. Would you prefer bluglv or bublti?:D

Luvglv please

TimetoClimb
04-12-2018, 07:40 PM
This guy is moving from Colorado to New York City for this job.... Iíll give him 1 year.

He'll be fine. Left Colorado for LA he obviously goes where opportunity is. For the record he was the best of our leadership at surf air when I was there.

RiddleEagle18
04-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Wait people are actual doing these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hyperboy
04-13-2018, 02:32 AM

Awesome.

I have no idea about the guy than what I read about on -ine and the few pilots that know him from their experience which seems to be positive (I know not allowed on this board).

Could be good for us? It would not be that hard to be better than the previous?

Let's blast him anyway......

READY........SHOOT....AIM!

Bluedriver
04-13-2018, 03:45 AM
"READY........SHOOT....AIM!"

Defend.... Boot lick..... Realize you're the worst paid major airline pilot in the country.

pilotpayne
04-13-2018, 03:51 AM
Defend.... Boot lick..... Realize you're the worst paid major airline pilot in the country.

I think technically second:)

Like the others said we had a guy from AA and we got pretty much nothing, I expect the same. The orders come from above he will just execute them. We will see but given our past VPs I donít have much hope.

Bluedriver
04-13-2018, 03:55 AM
I think technically second:)

Like the others said we had a guy from AA and we got pretty much nothing, I expect the same. The orders come from above he will just execute them. We will see but given our past VPs I donít have much hope.

JB management didn't even include Frontier in our peer set for peer set pay reviews, why would you want them considered a peer for compensation?

Bozo the pilot
04-13-2018, 04:00 AM
I have no idea about the guy than what I read about on -ine and the few pilots that know him from their experience which seems to be positive (I know not allowed on this board).

Well lets look at their track record HB:rolleyes:

CaptCoolHand
04-13-2018, 05:16 AM

Yea man... I can't really say I'm impressed. Frontier... Bankrupt, purchased by republic, essentially failed. I'd never even heard of surf... so nope. Then Great Lakes, no? Honestly I don't care if he's a "nice guy" his job is now to work against us. He will use his experience as a negotiator against us. This guy, is not your friend.

Softpayman
04-13-2018, 05:53 AM
Yea man... I can't really say I'm impressed. Frontier... Bankrupt, purchased by republic, essentially failed. I'd never even heard of surf... so nope. Then Great Lakes, no? Honestly I don't care if he's a "nice guy" his job is now to work against us. He will use his experience as a negotiator against us. This guy, is not your friend.

A little context never hurt. In the +/-5 years that Frontier was in BK so were Aloha, Air Midwest, Us Air (twice), Northwest, Delta, ATA, SKybus, and American. It was a bloodbath. So is anyone from those airlines also too damaged to ever be considered?

CaptCoolHand
04-13-2018, 06:33 AM
I'm sure he's the best of what was available.

just like the having a FFD, everyone has an opinion.

pilotpayne
04-13-2018, 06:48 AM
JB management didn't even include Frontier in our peer set for peer set pay reviews, why would you want them considered a peer for compensation?

You kill me bud....it’s SARCASM I know your Midwest and all but this is an east coast airline....learn the sarcasm.:)

Not everything is an internet battle.

Bluedriver
04-13-2018, 07:40 AM
You kill me bud....itís SARCASM I know your Midwest and all but this is an east coast airline....learn the sarcasm.:)

Not everything is an internet battle.

I got the sarcasm at about 90%, kinda just didn't want anyone else to miss it and actually consider Frontier a compensation peer...

No battle, I even said it nicely...

😁

Aero1900
04-13-2018, 07:45 AM
Jim is a good guy. He is liked and respected at Frontier. He's not going to be a problem for you guys. He was not molded by Great Lakes

BeatNavy
04-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Just curious...where do most VPs of flight ops come from at other airlines? Do we really not have anyone internal we can put in that role who has the intelligence, leadership, and experience to do the job?

I donít know Jim, but on paper he doesnít seem to be the experienced pipe hitter we need in that role. If he had the experience and quals, I wouldnít question hiring from outside. But all he has is ULCC experience, much of which according to firsthand accounts on here was line flying while in leadership roles, union leadership resulting in a terrible contract and a job offer in management, and ďgood guyĒ references by some dudes on APC, and of course a couple short stints at irrelevant small prop outfits. He has no international experience, no JetBlue ďsweet spotĒ experience, and I question how he was selected for the job with such a resume (or lack thereof).

Maybe since heís a foodie they wanted someone who can help revamp the mint and general food/snack service, since AA and DL seem to be beating us in all classes of service now, including our beloved mint product when compared to their equivalent. Sarcasm. Kind of.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2012/04/05/why-promoting-from-within-usually-beats-hiring-from-outside/#785bd83436ce

Barley
04-13-2018, 08:35 AM

Awesome.

You have no idea what you're talking about and are doing nothing but making an a$$ of yourself. Jim is one the best I've ever known in this industry and you guys are lucky to have him.

BeatNavy
04-13-2018, 08:47 AM
You have no idea what you're talking about and are doing nothing but making an a$$ of yourself. Jim is one the best I've ever known in this industry and you guys are lucky to have him.

There are lots of great dudes in this industry. There are lots of great dudes at JetBlue. But what qualifies Jim to be the VP of flight ops at the 5th/6th largest airline in the country, at which he has zero experience, and which has international ambitions, of which he has zero experience? I hope heís good. Iíll keep an open mind and see how it goes. But we arenít a startup anymore. We are a mature company and have the ability to hire that type of experience, and dare I say create great leaders from within instead of always looking outside.

PasserOGas
04-13-2018, 09:05 AM
Hey, the Great Lakes stink makes me nervou. That being said, I reserve judgement for now. So far we have three guys coming here to say we scored. Until we know better maybe we should leave him alone and hope for the best.

blueballs
04-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Iím going to judge away. For over two years the direction of this company has gone down the toilet. The upper management couldnít lead a field trip let alone a billion dollar company. Any decision they make especially in personnel these days is 100% wrong. I only know what Iíve heard about this guy and he will fit in well with the incompetence at the top here

Bozo the pilot
04-13-2018, 09:44 AM

Get lost back to your airlines thread, What are you, his agent?:rolleyes:

GuppyPuppy
04-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Why would anyone volunteer to be relocated to New York city?

Gup

blueballs
04-13-2018, 11:52 AM
For CULTure

GuppyPuppy
04-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Every time we get a new VP of Flight Operations we have people who say, "give him a chance". And every time, without fail, I have been disappointed. Never get excited about a management appointment.

The job of management is to cut/control costs and increase productivity.

Gup

Blue Dude
04-13-2018, 01:13 PM
From that other site: Yes, he's the designated fall guy. But first, it'll be give the new guy a chance, look at the positives, he only just got here. The honeymoon tone will last through the summer. Unpopular changes will start appearing in September, only to partially backtrack just in time for the holidays. The emails just write themselves at this point.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1