Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuting from MSP

skyzata
04-15-2018, 03:56 PM
It sounds like you can almost get any base you want out of training other than the couple senior bases. What would be the best base to bid for in training if I would be commuting from MSP? Thanks in advance for any input.

knewyork
04-15-2018, 08:37 PM
It sounds like you can almost get any base you want out of training other than the couple senior bases. What would be the best base to bid for in training if I would be commuting from MSP? Thanks in advance for any input.

Perhaps Newark. Most of the MSP-EWR flights are Republic. Most trips are only commutable on one end however.

ORD170
04-16-2018, 12:44 PM
EWR has many cancellations, and crash pads are expensive. MCI or ORD May work better for you. I commuted MSP to ORD, and it wasnít too bad. Plenty of flights, but many commuters also.

skyzata
04-16-2018, 03:10 PM
EWR has many cancellations, and crash pads are expensive. MCI or ORD May work better for you. I commuted MSP to ORD, and it wasnít too bad. Plenty of flights, but many commuters also.

Is a crash pad going to be a requirement no matter where I get based?

knewyork
04-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Is a crash pad going to be a requirement no matter where I get based?

I know some people do hotels instead because they get home often enough so that the occasional hotel is less expensive than a monthly crashpad bill. However, yes I would plan on needing a place to sleep.

TheWeatherman
04-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Kind of like ATL, MSP is a huge commuter/retirement base. Flights are usually full coming out of there with non-revs making commuting difficult at times.

ORD170
04-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Look at Endeavor or Skywest if you want to live in MSP. Commuting on Endeavor would be easy if you upgraded into NY. I think MSP is junior for Skywest.

radish
04-19-2018, 06:05 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone commute from SLC? I am considering Republic and it looks like MCI, IAH and ORD wouldn't be too bad of a commute for me.

ORD170
04-20-2018, 06:20 AM
Probably ORD, but IAH might not be bad. I donít believe Republic does many flights into SLC any more. My airline does SLC to MDW also, and ORD gives you the most flights.

I would try Skywest first, then Compass, because youíre going to hate commuting! Iím sure you will hear about the mythical Republic west coast base, but that rumor has been around for decades.