Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

TheFly
04-17-2018, 12:06 PM
One person was killed and seven others were injured Tuesday after a Southwest Airlines plane engine apparently blew midair, officials said.

Continue Reading Below

Southwest Airlines plane's engine explodes; 1 passenger dead | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/17/southwest-airlines-planes-engine-explodes-passenger-reportedly-hit-with-shrapnel.html)

Paperboi
04-17-2018, 12:59 PM
God this is terrible, I thought the airplane was supposed to be resistant to shrapnel and fan blades. Any clue how this happened?

JohnBurke
04-17-2018, 01:06 PM
It's an uncontained failure. Pretty much means what it says. It happens.

blastoff
04-17-2018, 01:13 PM
God this is terrible, I thought the airplane was supposed to be resistant to shrapnel and fan blades. Any clue how this happened?

There's nothing in the history of airplanes that should lead you to think that. It's happened several times.

rickair7777
04-17-2018, 03:50 PM
God this is terrible, I thought the airplane was supposed to be resistant to shrapnel and fan blades.

The airplane's not. But the fan housing is. So probably two issues:

1) Why the failure?
2) Why was it not contained as designed?

Since it looks like the fairing/fan housing departed the plane (and on at least one other SWA plane), that may offer a hint as to the failure of containment.

Airhoss
04-18-2018, 07:49 AM
One person was killed and seven others were injured Tuesday after a Southwest Airlines plane engine apparently blew midair, officials said.

Continue Reading Below

Southwest Airlines plane's engine explodes; 1 passenger dead | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/17/southwest-airlines-planes-engine-explodes-passenger-reportedly-hit-with-shrapnel.html)

If you want to see everything that is wrong with our society. Read the comments......I would say they are like a bunch of ignorant crackhead apes. But that would be an insult to crackheads and apes.

JohnBurke
04-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Mostly the apes.

galaxy flyer
04-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Sad, isnít it, Airhoss?. Worse, the media is just as ignorant as the apes and feeds the apes and crackheads.

GF

Excargodog
04-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Sad, isnít it, Airhoss?. Worse, the media is just as ignorant as the apes and feeds the apes and crackheads.

GF

'Twas ever thus. As Samuel Clemmons once said, 'The very ink of history is merely fluid prejudice.'

Airhoss
04-19-2018, 08:15 AM

GF

People are shockingly stupid. Social media gives these idiots a spotlight and an open mic.

TroutBum
04-19-2018, 12:27 PM

GF

I stopped counting the number of times the media reported the crew "regained control" of the aircraft at 10,000 feet.

carlapilot
04-23-2018, 10:50 AM
This news was all around the media everywhere, as its the biggest news now all around. They say "it can happen" also when there is actually no chance for this. But the captain women is a former fighter pilot, and she remain totally calm as you can listen the ATC, she perfectly handled the situation. Its a luck actually that only one person died in this situation :( but I think also depends on the captain. this is a situation where you can not be really prepaired of...

I stopped counting the number of times the media reported the crew "regained control" of the aircraft at 10,000 feet.

Airhoss
04-23-2018, 01:18 PM
This news was all around the media everywhere, as its the biggest news now all around. They say "it can happen" also when there is actually no chance for this. But the captain women is a former fighter pilot, and she remain totally calm as you can listen the ATC, she perfectly handled the situation. Its a luck actually that only one person died in this situation :( but I think also depends on the captain. this is a situation where you can not be really prepaired of...

Uhmmm no.

It is your job as a pilot to stay calm.

It is unlucky that anyone died.

This is a situation that every single commercial pilot in the world is 100% prepared for. If they aren't they shouldn't be flying an airplane.

galleycafe
04-23-2018, 03:35 PM

Are you on holiday? At hospital?

I'm enjoying a half litre of Cuban coffee.

Plane Coffee

C130driver
04-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Yepp and pilot less airplanes are coming...give me a break. All it takes is one accident like this (which will happen with single man ops) and itís over for the engineer nerds / politicians pushing it.

Kudos to the crew, BOTH the FO and Captain.

PowderFinger
04-24-2018, 03:47 AM

Plane Coffee

I think engrish might be a second language for her ... Or maybe cheap drugs involved.

badflaps
04-24-2018, 09:33 AM

Plane Coffee

One half litre of Cuban would give you the hydraulic jerks.:D

galleycafe
04-24-2018, 10:45 AM
One half litre of Cuban would give you the hydraulic jerks.:D

That's what I was aiming for!

Plane Coffee

carlapilot
04-27-2018, 07:48 AM
Sorry, but I agree but I also don't... on the other hand, there are no real situations unless you are Sully or whatsoever... on sport planes, many thing can happen which affect your flight and you can solve problems real.
On big aircrafts they learn everything only on simulator... can spend the whole years of first officer like nothing happens ever in real (luckily)... so can be a very experienced pilot in years but nothing ever happens to solve...?
It's very ... confusing.

Uhmmm no.

It is your job as a pilot to stay calm.

It is unlucky that anyone died.

This is a situation that every single commercial pilot in the world is 100% prepared for. If they aren't they shouldn't be flying an airplane.

JohnBurke
04-27-2018, 09:14 AM
Sorry, but I agree but I also don't... on the other hand, there are no real situations unless you are Sully or whatsoever... on sport planes, many thing can happen which affect your flight and you can solve problems real.
On big aircrafts they learn everything only on simulator... can spend the whole years of first officer like nothing happens ever in real (luckily)... so can be a very experienced pilot in years but nothing ever happens to solve...?
It's very ... confusing.

Trump, is that you, again?

This is what happens when your advisors get you to stop tweeting, isn't it?

galaxy flyer
04-27-2018, 11:53 AM
Airhoss,

Sadly, carlapilot, might be on to something. Pilots who grow up in a nearly pristine, nothing happens environment like 121 operations don’t experience very much out of the ordinary. I think it’s now statistically likely an airline pilot will never shut down an engine in their career. How many serious emergencies occur? Simulators can only go so far in reducing the so-called startle factor, it takes some real fear-inducing events to teach calm reactions.

The AF 447 crew basically watched an autopilot fly for 6,000 hours until the night it didn’t.

GF

AirBear
04-27-2018, 12:41 PM
The Military gave me plenty of experience in emergencies thanks to the beat up old C-130's I flew. 11 Inflight Emergencies from 1982-89. 8 of those were engine shutdowns, not a big deal in a 4 engine plane.

Flying for the airlines from 1989-2005, then Corporate Jets 2005-2017, I have only had 1 instance where we could have declared an emergency when we had to do a no flap landing in the Phenom 300. With a 13500 foot runway I wasn't too worried about it thou. I've had other minor stuff which required a diversion or return to field. Had a couple of medical issues with the airlines but none bad enough to divert over.

So we get trained and do our stuff in the Sim but rarely get a chance to use it for real. And then you get stuff like "Sully" that's not really in the book and you have to pull something out of your rear end. Ditching was barely covered in Airbus Initial (I flew A320 at USAir) and not even mentioned in recurrent training.

That's why I like the 1500 hour requirement for Airlines. I flew with 300-500 hour SIC's at Mesa, some fresh out of the flight academy. Great SIC's to take checkrides with, great when you were allowed to fly a standard ILS (no "170 to the marker") but they were clueless about the energy state of the jet when you needed to do VFR pattern, like when cleared to land on downwind leg. They'd try to turn in way too soon, and I'd have to stop them knowing we'd never get down in time.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1