Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Is AA still a possibility?

armypilot
04-17-2018, 03:17 PM
About this time last year I received the video interview invitation and got the subsequent TBNT. I was pretty bummed and puzzled because I really thought I had knocked it out of the park. Answered everything the way I wanted to. Or at least I thought I had.

One thing I didn't mention last year is that I had previously had an unsuccessful interview with Envoy prior to receiving the video invite.

I know why the Envoy interview didn't go well and I was curious if a bad interview at one of the wholly owned regionals would follow me to a possible AA interview, or in this case to the video interview when my app/video was being reviewed?

I was able to re-interview at Envoy a second time and the interview went much better and I received a CJO. While at the interview, I discussed this situation with the captain that did my HR panel (he asked about it) and he doesn't think that it would have followed me. He said that Envoy isn't even allowed to talk to PSA or Piedmont for legality reasons, so he doesn't think mainline would be able to see my Envoy file.

I just thought I'd reach out and potentially ask someone who is smarter than me. AA is still my first choice, I'd just like to know if I need to put that dream to rest.

Boogerface
04-17-2018, 04:31 PM
About this time last year I received the video interview invitation and got the subsequent TBNT. I was pretty bummed and puzzled because I really thought I had knocked it out of the park. Answered everything the way I wanted to. Or at least I thought I had.

One thing I didn't mention last year is that I had previously had an unsuccessful interview with Envoy prior to receiving the video invite.

I know why the Envoy interview didn't go well and I was curious if a bad interview at one of the wholly owned regionals would follow me to a possible AA interview, or in this case to the video interview when my app/video was being reviewed?

I was able to re-interview at Envoy a second time and the interview went much better and I received a CJO. While at the interview, I discussed this situation with the captain that did my HR panel (he asked about it) and he doesn't think that it would have followed me. He said that Envoy isn't even allowed to talk to PSA or Piedmont for legality reasons, so he doesn't think mainline would be able to see my Envoy file.

I just thought I'd reach out and potentially ask someone who is smarter than me. AA is still my first choice, I'd just like to know if I need to put that dream to rest.

My advice: take the Envoy job, build time, and keep pestering AA. You will get it sooner or later, and if not, you'll still have the flow in your back pocket.

TallFlyer
04-17-2018, 04:52 PM
My advice: take the Envoy job, build time, and keep pestering AA. You will get it sooner or later, and if not, you'll still have the flow in your back pocket.
The caveat to that being, if you want to live in a PSA or PDT domicile, check out those options. FYI, PDTs domiciles will soon overlap PSA's domiciles.

armypilot
04-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Well DFW is the goal, so Envoy is the best option in that regard. Was just hoping for the chance to sneak in before the flow.

navigatro
04-17-2018, 05:38 PM
No offense but I would strongly consider an interview prep service.

2 unsuccessful interviews is a red flag.

Boogerface
04-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Well DFW is the goal, so Envoy is the best option in that regard. Was just hoping for the chance to sneak in before the flow.
Really no reason not to take the Envoy job and get the flow clock started ASAP. Doesn't cost you anything, as AA does not disqualify WO pilots from being interviewed/hired.

armypilot
04-17-2018, 06:39 PM
No offense but I would strongly consider an interview prep service.

2 unsuccessful interviews is a red flag.
No offense taken, and it’s something I plan on doing.

The first Envoy interview didn’t go well due to “unprofessional language”. I heard rumor that the room where the candidates hangout is monitored. Not sure if it was that or if I let something slip during the actual interview. But was definitely on my P’s and Q’s the second time around.

Now that I mentioned the reason I didn’t get the Envoy job the first time, it’s why I’m bothered that I shot myself in the foot for AA outside of the flow.

Otterbox
04-17-2018, 07:43 PM
No offense taken, and itís something I plan on doing.

The first Envoy interview didnít go well due to ďunprofessional languageĒ. I heard rumor that the room where the candidates hangout is monitored. Not sure if it was that or if I let something slip during the actual interview. But was definitely on my Pís and Qís the second time around.

Now that I mentioned the reason I didnít get the Envoy job the first time, itís why Iím bothered that I shot myself in the foot for AA outside of the flow.

That transition from military flying to the airlines can be difficult on ones vocabulary sometimes... I second the recommendation on the interview prep service.

Keep your apps upto date for AA, SWA, Spirit and United if Texas is your long term goal.

armypilot
04-20-2018, 07:47 AM
Confirmed a class date with Envoy. Hoping checking the 121 box is enough to trigger something. Again...

rickair7777
04-20-2018, 07:51 AM

The first Envoy interview didnít go well due to ďunprofessional languageĒ. I heard rumor that the room where the candidates hangout is monitored. Not sure if it was that or if I let something slip during the actual interview. But was definitely on my Pís and Qís the second time around.

Now that I mentioned the reason I didnít get the Envoy job the first time, itís why Iím bothered that I shot myself in the foot for AA outside of the flow.

AA had a reputation for monitoring candidates at the hotel, in the van, at reception, and most certainly in the Bullpen. When I interviewed at eagle years ago I think everybody knew that back then.

QuagmireGiggity
04-20-2018, 08:27 AM
Military and Envoy on the resume I think will help a lot.
Good luck!

ArmyFW
04-21-2018, 02:21 PM
What kind of total time have you guys been seeing military turbo prop guys get picked up at? Iíll be around 2000-2500 when my ADSO is up all fixed wing time. I hear that fighter pilots with 20 years experience get picked up right at 1500 but Iím assuming it will be a little different for army turboprop guys with 6 years flying experience

A330FoodCritic
04-21-2018, 03:38 PM

Did you curse at the interviewer?

Don't get me wrong, I almost cursed at a JB interviewer, spoke with Dean later, he told me that guy was no longer doing interviews.

Pilot X
04-21-2018, 04:17 PM
Did you curse at the interviewer?

Don't get me wrong, I almost cursed at a JB interviewer, spoke with Dean later, he told me that guy was no longer doing interviews.

Or was it a female interviewer and you tripped while going in for the handshake and ended up grabbing her boob? :eek:

I guess my scenario isn’t unprofessional language but it’d be funny though

QuagmireGiggity
04-21-2018, 04:33 PM
I know a guy that cursed in the sim eval at Horizon and they gave him a hard time about it and a Thx but no thx letter. Too bad for them cuz he's an awesome guy.

A330FoodCritic
04-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Or was it a female interviewer and you tripped while going in for the handshake and ended up grabbing her boob? :eek:

I guess my scenario isnít unprofessional language but itíd be funny though

For me it was a douche being cryptic trying to ask me would I go back and clean the plane between flights. I just said being a new guy, I would ask my other fellow pilots what they are doing. Then it turns out this guy hated military guys.

Everything worked out, went active duty and retired :D

drifterf16
04-27-2018, 01:28 PM

What gouge did you have for the vid interview? Did you prep with good notes and a well thought out outline for each potential question? They vary but thereís only so many versions. Also, the approach brief is a lot easier if you have a prewritten template in the order the info is presented. Did they give you a date when you could try again?

armypilot
04-29-2018, 09:07 AM
What gouge did you have for the vid interview? Did you prep with good notes and a well thought out outline for each potential question? They vary but thereís only so many versions. Also, the approach brief is a lot easier if you have a prewritten template in the order the info is presented. Did they give you a date when you could try again?

The gouge I had was spot on. I had the approach given typed out already plus a blank template just in case. The approach was the same as what I had. The questions I had prepped for were what I was given in the video. The email I received said something about six months. I sent an email to pilot recruiting this past December and was basically told that I'm still in the pool of candidates.

As for the video itself, when I did it, I was contracting in Afghanistan. I didn't have a suit available and I wasn't in a nice sterile room for a back drop. I addressed this, but not until the fourth question if memory serves me correct. Got a hair cut and was clean shaven, just not in a suit. I've talked with a few guys about my answers to the questions and they feel that I answered everything just fine. Everyone seems to think it was my lack of a suit and the the back drop of the video.

I'm wondering if the person that reviewed it didn't actually review the whole thing. Just saw I wasn't in a suit and pretty quickly moved on to the next video.

drifterf16
04-29-2018, 11:54 AM
The gouge I had was spot on. I had the approach given typed out already plus a blank template just in case. The approach was the same as what I had. The questions I had prepped for were what I was given in the video. The email I received said something about six months. I sent an email to pilot recruiting this past December and was basically told that I'm still in the pool of candidates.

As for the video itself, when I did it, I was contracting in Afghanistan. I didn't have a suit available and I wasn't in a nice sterile room for a back drop. I addressed this, but not until the fourth question if memory serves me correct. Got a hair cut and was clean shaven, just not in a suit. I've talked with a few guys about my answers to the questions and they feel that I answered everything just fine. Everyone seems to think it was my lack of a suit and the the back drop of the video.

I'm wondering if the person that reviewed it didn't actually review the whole thing. Just saw I wasn't in a suit and pretty quickly moved on to the next video.

That might be... I mean if youíre one of the folks who goes through potentially hundreds of these per year, youíd probably hit stop and move on if it wasnít abundantly clear early on why the person in the video chose not to wear a suit or have a good background. Sounds like you did everything just like every bro I know who has gotten hired. Must be that. When is your 6 month time up? Best of Luck!

ALF659
04-30-2018, 04:52 AM

You are the second person I have heard of that did not get past the video interview who was not in a suit and in a good background. I know you were trying to comply with the timetable and did the best you could and it sounds like you probably nailed the questions. For others in this situation I would contact pilot recruiting and explain your situation and ask for an extension rather than do the video interview from a deployed location. Just my $.02.

Sliceback
04-30-2018, 05:39 AM
If something doesnít Ďfití just give a quick explaination and move on.
It has happened and will again.