Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Getting to/from JFK-EWR

CX500T
04-18-2018, 02:12 PM
NYC Delta 757/767 FO here.

Crash pad is in Ozone park off Lefferts near the Airtrain. Works fantastic for the JFK flying.

I may have to get to EWR at some point. Figure it's better to plan that now than panic when it happens.

Put it in the general forum as I know we're not the only people who have to cover multiple airports.

JFK-LGA is pretty easy.

JFK-EWR seems like Airporter works but is 3+ hours.

What are y'all using?

Slim6890
04-18-2018, 02:55 PM
I use uber and it cost $80-100 but the company pays $70.

TheRaven
04-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Airtrain to LIRR....LIRR to Penn Station....PATH train to EWR.....Newark airportvtrain to terminal.......about $22 and anywhere from 1:20 to 2 hrs depending on connections

AC560
04-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Airtrain to LIRR....LIRR to Penn Station....PATH train to EWR.....Newark airportvtrain to terminal.......about $22 and anywhere from 1:20 to 2 hrs depending on connections

While not a great option can advise this is the best option. Taking an Uber down the Belt Parkway in rush hour is not going to be fast, cheap, or pleasant.

CX500T
04-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Appreciate the replies.

Looks like Train is plan 1.

LNL76
04-18-2018, 05:20 PM
ETS and NYC Airporter have vans that serve all 3 airports. Crew discounts apply.

IDIOTPILOT
04-18-2018, 06:25 PM
If you’re really really in a rush.

https://blade.flyblade.com/schedules/depart/new?schedule_id=25

ETS Shuttle will do direct JFK EWR and is cheaper than train. I would call them before going to the airport to confirm though. Also, they can’t do much about traffic.

Qotsaautopilot
04-18-2018, 06:34 PM
As an ex-ewr commuter I flew to jfk once because I couldn’t get into ewr. That was the first and last time I made that transfer. My sick bank took a hit after that

EMBFlyer
04-18-2018, 06:37 PM
I've also done the JFK-EWR shuffle once.

Airtrain to Jamaica Station
LIRR to Penn
NJ Transit to EWR Airport

I think the total cost was about $20 or so and it took about an hour and half.

Han Solo
04-19-2018, 02:41 AM
NYC Delta 757/767 FO here.

Crash pad is in Ozone park off Lefferts near the Airtrain. Works fantastic for the JFK flying.

I may have to get to EWR at some point. Figure it's better to plan that now than panic when it happens.

Put it in the general forum as I know we're not the only people who have to cover multiple airports.

JFK-LGA is pretty easy.

JFK-EWR seems like Airporter works but is 3+ hours.

What are y'all using?

Since you're DAL... The company will reimburse you up to $100 for cab/uber if it's a short callout. You can also ride the crew runner for the price of a tip, search "crew runner" on Deltanet for the schedule. Just note, FAs have priority on the crew runner and it can fill up trying to get to LGA; however, I never had a problem getting to EWR once i was already at LGA.

Eff the train and eff the Airporter. The train seems more like a badge of honor for guys to get their true new yorker commuter stamp and the airporter takes all friggin' day. No thanks to both.

Judge Smails
04-19-2018, 05:26 AM

To add on to this, NJ Transit train from Penn Station to EWR is more direct than taking PATH. Itís a few more bucks but worth the time savings.

CX500T
04-19-2018, 07:21 AM
Since you're DAL... The company will reimburse you up to $100 for cab/uber if it's a short callout. You can also ride the crew runner for the price of a tip, search "crew runner" on Deltanet for the schedule.

Where exactly do I find that in the PWA? When I asked at the CPO office (the how, not pay me) they didn't say boo about it being reimbursable.

BeatNavy
04-19-2018, 11:58 AM
ETS and NYC Airporter have vans that serve all 3 airports. Crew discounts apply.

Supposedly the airporter is shutting down May 5th.

Extenda
04-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Hijacking the thread for a related reserve question. I'll be reserve on the A320 next month. I've been told its kosher to sit reserve at home (Philadelphia), as I'm 1:25 drive to Newark airport and that's the closest NYC airport to me. Is this correct? Thanks.

TCASTESTOK
04-20-2018, 07:40 PM
So why do the FAs get crewrunner priority?

CX500T
04-20-2018, 08:23 PM
Hijacking the thread for a related reserve question. I'll be reserve on the A320 next month. I've been told its kosher to sit reserve at home (Philadelphia), as I'm 1:25 drive to Newark airport and that's the closest NYC airport to me. Is this correct? Thanks.

My understanding of that is correct. My classmate lives in the Philly area and he sits under 2 to EWR.

FWIW, I was Short Call today and yesterday (20/21st) and my "short call" was a call at about noon on the 21st for a 1800 show on the 22nd.

YMMV though.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1